“Sleep deprived at the Almar”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Almar

Hotel Almar
Ranked #67 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
Holmes Chapel, United Kingdom
“Sleep deprived at the Almar”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

After reading the reviews on here myself and my friend decided to book because of the good location and spacious apartments. We decided that we could live with "run down" for 11 days.
Indeed the run down condition was the least of our worries - and it is very badly run down. The bath was disgusting but we managed by just using the shower above.
The kitchen was badly equipped and self catering was impossible aside from salads. We bought a colander to make pasta one night. There are two electric rings and a microwave oven that looks like a real oven (no turntable). We asked for a kettle and got one. Apparently you can either have a coffee machine or a kettle - not both.
Sleep? Forget it. The beds in the bedroom were the worst I have ever experienced in my entire life. They were so hard that after 3 nights both my hips were bruised.and my back was so bad I could hardly walk. The fitted sheet was far too small for the mattress so made it even more uncomfortable. The window in the bedroom was on the corridor so the window and curtain had to be closed at all times - it must be unbearable when hot. The sofa bed where my friend slept was apparently better.
The cleaning was non existent until the day before we left (tip?)! We were there for 11 days. The sheets were changed once, as were the towels. We didn't complain but we did ask politely once for towels and it was like we had asked for the moon. One small soap when we arrived which was broken in two was never replaced. Bin bags and loo roll dished out on a hit and miss basis like we were on rations. Resorted to helping ourselves to loo rolls off the maid's trolley in the end.
The staff were polite but we felt it was superficial except for one of the receptionists who was genuinely helpful and the night porter.
The pool was dirty. There were no cushions on the few sunbeds and no parasols.
Had to wait two days for a light bulb to be replaced and only got that when we took it out ourselves and took it to reception.
When I arrived I was informed that the card reader was out of order and was asked to either go across the road to withdraw cash from the hole in the wall or to go to their sister hotel to pay by card. I asked would the machine be repaired - answer: no. I eventually paid the next day by giving my card details which were sent to the other hotel. Not a great solution.
There is absolutely no maintenance - we thought that it seemed they might be selling up so not prepared to sink any money into it. It would take very little to provide minimum comfort levels. Its a shame as the location is fantastic and the apartments are so spacious.
If it were to be renovated we would return but as things stand no way. You can't enjoy a holiday when you are deprived of sleep. Thank God for siestas on the sunbeds (with cushions) on the beach.
Check out time was 11am. We heard a guy requesting to keep the room until 12am. He was told he couldn't as the room was booked. The next day I asked same question to another receptionist. Reply was that it was no problem all rooms can be kept until 12am!
Think twice before you book this hotel.

Room Tip: Ground floor sea view rooms not a big problem but would be better to get a higher floor if you can...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank PoochiesMum U

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Ballymena, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

stayed here for two weeks with my wife and 3 year old daughter. I dont want the review to put any one off as we intend to book to return to almar in September. the apartments look a little run down from the rear and we were abit disappointed
when we were dropped off outside.  the reception is very small and dark but we kept in mind the positive reviews prior to booking. check in was easy. we were in room 307 and were delighted with the massive one bedroom apartment.  huge 6 seater table,  very well equipped kitchen, utility room with washing line, mop, brush etc. 2 huge balconies with views of both the pool and stunning sea views. all receptionists were friendly.  you have to leave your key when you leave which annoyed me but didn't bother my other half. large fresh water pool and good sized children's pool. outdoor snack bar and decent wifi available in reception and small bar.  2 super markets to the left and right of the hotel. small children's park to the right.  literally 5 minute walk to the escalator that leads to the old town. loved the old town.  strip and new town good too but not for a toddler.  brill for singles or couples.  room cleaned every day. towels changed 2/3 times per week. almar is a great location. main supermarket called continente is 5mins walk to the right as is McDonald's, KFC and local train/tram stop which is €4 for the whole day or €2.50 for one way. will def stay in almar again. pool could do with maintenance and abit more cleaning but all in all we loved our stay and would definitely recommend to families.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank melaniextwo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Just back from a few days at the Almar..me myself and I in 308..side sea view apartment..huge space for one!...good location, it's dated but very clean and of course the staff make it..even knew it was my big birthday and left a bottle of bubbly in the room..fab touch!..the safe key cost 2.50 euros a day plus a 25 euro deposit..in cash when you get there...but I was never asked for a credit card to cover any possible apartment breakages..only booked the room because no one seems to have breakfast..supermarket down the road and enough stuff in the apartment to make a basic breakfast..then maybe brunch down the road?...so many places for breakfast..and of course so many good restaurants..why bother cooking when you can have 5 grilled sardines, potatoes and salad for 6-9 euros!...beaches fab..night life interesting..I liked the old town better than the strip..some good music..loved Vertigo where I heard one of the best pub bands I have ever heard..I have seen Led Zep, Free, Cream, Hendrix and the Stones live...but Victor B Band really do the business...and they drink JD on stage..not bottled water..rock on!

Room Tip: The obvious..you need a sea view!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank tigeron2wheels
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We we're four girls on a weekend hens. Hotel Almar was lovely and the apartment was huge.We had a top floor,sea,pool and garden view. The views from the twin balconies were amazing. Beds were very comfortable and we were had extra bedding. We didn't use the kitchen facilities but it has everything needed to cook and self cater. Receptionists were always friendly especially the young lady who was so cool and friendly (I'm terrible,I can't remember her name) The night porters were very kind to us and we felt very safe. We loved the pool, was lovely are to relax before going out for dinner and drinks. Taxi cost E5.00 from Hotel Almar to the strip for 4 people and took maybe 5-7 mins of a drive. Reception charge E1.00 to order taxi. You are in walking distance from the beach which was awesome and beach is amazing. The old town is down by the beach and was my favourite. I would definitely return to Hotel Almar for my next holiday in Albufeira.

Room Tip: We were in Apartment 409, it's huge with twin balconie. View of beach,pool & garden.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank holidaytime86
woodstock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Just back from the almar what a surprise to find a lovley little hotel with stunning veiws 5 minutes from beach and town centre lovely staff from reception to cleaners who cleaned your room everyday place was spotless would go back to-morrow if i had the chance so glad i took the gamble of going to the almar after reading some reveiws yes a little bit of tlc is needed but so do some 4/5 star hotels take my advice and give this wee hotel a chance :')

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jaws1
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

We have stayed in various accommodation over the years in Albufeira but this was the best. The apartment was huge with a fantastic view of the sea,beach and over the town. The kitchen has an attached utility room for drying washing and an iron and ironing board. An electric kettle isn't supplied, but you just have to ask at reception and they will give you one. Also there is not a hairdryer and only a small old t.v. But who goes on holiday to watch tele? The young women on reception are exceptional speaking excellent English and doing all they can to help. The
cleaners come in every day and do a good job.
The location of the aprtment couldn't be better with a five minute walk to the beach and town and a 10minute walk to a huge supermarket (turn right and at the top of the hill and right again) It's worth taking out a loyalty card at the desk as you enter using your accommodation address for discounts and money paid back onto the card which can be spent the following day.
If you don't fancy a walk into town there is a good restaurant bang opposite the hotel doing a 3course meal with wine and coffee for eleven euros.
As other people have said it could do with a bit of a refurbishment,but it was clean with fabulous views at a really good price. You can see why they get a lot of long stayers over the winter. We will definately stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor. Room 401 is at the end of a corridor and very quiet apart from the barking do...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank normskySheffield
Bridgend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We had one bed fount sea views which I have to were stunning views, I knew from reviews that the hotel rooms were old and I agree the are, the are however very clean and huge. I would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple