“good value and pretty good location”

Balaia-Sol Holiday Club
Ranked #61 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Letterkenny, Ireland
“good value and pretty good location”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayed at Balia Sol 9th July for 9 nights couple 2 kids 14 and 11. Booked quite late so expectations were not high but pleasantly surprised. Well maintained clean and good maid service. Apartments basic and cooking facilities were very limited, external 2 ring induction hob and microwave. Saw previous reviews re shower being poor but found shower to be excellent. Had room 19 right beside pool and kids found this ideal. They got 8 new sun beds during the week we were there which actually reclined and made reading easier. No shop but mini market next complex was adequate. Location pretty good and peaceful apart from the rooster somewhere nearby who starts crowing at 5 am !.Beds arent brilliant and late night arrivals and departures were a nuisance at times but the same is true anywhere. The place is very Portugese in style and very picturesque. As previous reviews said, if you are looking for 5 star dont come here, but if you are looking for value clean accommodation, and a nice small friendly atmosphere you should definitely consider Balia Sol.

Room Tip: rooms 19, 20 1nd 21 have terraces onto pool. Morning sun on these terraces only
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Havant, England,
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We traveled as a group of 4 Adults and 4 Children age 11,7,5 and 4. First impressions of hotel were good we arrived late and were greeted by a friendly man who helped us to our rooms I noticed cctv everywhere which you can't help ask yourself why? All staff are friendly and helpful. Our room was basic but clean we were in room 5 which is set over 3 floors with a balcony that looks out over pool. First night Monday got no sleep having our bedroom road side meant we heard the dust carts and transfer coaches pulling up at various hours in the night. This also happened on the Friday night of our stay so expect broken sleep if you in that block unless you a very heavy sleeper. Second day in the pool which is cold water we were asked to keep our children quiet playing in the pool most guests were shocked by this. NOT WHAT I EXPECT from a hotel that advertises as family friendly. But I guess some guests didn't like hearing children enjoying them selves and splashing. Loungers are laid out around pools so its almost impossible not too get wet when people dive in. The pool is the only thing on site for kids to do. For that reason I would only return without children and also ask not to be road side. Hotel is in very remote place around 20 - 30 minute walk up hill to the main strip ( we did it every night). I wouldn't walk it alone though! Drinks and snacks are expensive 2 Euro for can of coke or small beer, 2.50 ice cream 6.50 for Breakfast which is basic with (lettuce?) sausage is extra! food is little over cooked for my liking too but that's what you expect for convience stock up at local supermarkets. I can recommend the cocktails 4 euros which is resonable. You can get a breakfast on the strip for around 3-4 Euros with a sausage no lettuce!! and a drink.Highly recommend Doris on the strip for that. Overall happy with the holiday perfect for quiet couples looking for relaxing location away from main town

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Mel T
Havant, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed here in June 2013 in room 18, as a family of 8 with children. The apartment is dated but in good decor and clean as are the grounds, pool etc. The staff are very friendly. I don't think this place is good for families though as we were asked to keep the children quiet by the pool which is ridiculous so it should not be classed as good for families and the pool is the only thing they have to do as there is nothing else for them there. One of the children had a bug while we were there and we needed fresh bedding at 4am which the guy on reception got for us which I was impressed with. The walk into town is about 30 mins I would say and that's at a steady pace which was further than we were expecting, it's also uphill. The pool bar is very expensive in my opinion and the food quality is not great, I paid 3.50 euros for 2 slices of toast! Needless to say I didn't buy any more toast from the bar. A burger, chips & soft drink is 7.50 euros and I had a simple and overcooked english breakfast with a cuppa which cost me 6.50 euros, in town you can get a big breakfast with drink for between 3.50-4 euros and drinks are also expensive except cocktails which are only 4 euros. The location of the apartments is secluded and quiet and there is CCTV throughout the complex, I don't know why but was a bit worried about that. Sleep quality was fairly good although there was a cockerel in a neighbouring field which starts making it's noise at the crack of dawn and there are some villas close by, one of which was occupied by young clubbers who come back at 4 in the morning making loads of noise, although these would only affect the apartments on one side.
In a nutshell this place is good for couples or anyone looking for a quiet relaxing time away from the busy town but it is not good for families with children.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jonny B
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We booked based on reviews on here and were not at all disappointed. We have just returned from 6 nights at Balaia Sol and it was an absolute bargain- a 10 minute walk from the strip (turn left for nightlife and right if you want a nicer restaurant and more peaceful atmosphere!) and a similar distance from the closest beach- Santa Eulalia (although there are plenty of lovely beaches close by). If you can bear the tourist cliches, the red open top tourist bus is a good option for getting your bearings- 13euros and you can hop on and off as often as you like within 24 hours- Salgados is beautiful and, even if you don't wish to take a boat trip (which is well worthwhile!), the Marina has a nice atmosphere and plenty of cafes and boutique shops to while away a few hours.

You get what you pay for accomodation-wise- clean and basic but with everything you need. Noise of the other guests can be disruptive so our only real critique would be that the staff could make more of an effort to enforce the 'quiet after 10pm rule'. Good on-site facilities for a small resort- little shop, bar and pool room. Overall we were pleased we booked and would definitely consider coming again if we were to return to the Algarve.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elisespike
Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel a few weeks before travelling and selected it based on price and reviews. I was a little sceptical as the hotel was very reasonable so was not expecting too much.
I arrived very late at night, around 11.00pm and was greeted by reception very warmly. Paperwork sorted out I was shown to my room. I had no water or milk to make a drink but low and behold they have it in there little shop which is still open till the bar closes. I was also hungry and she made me a cheese burger and chips. I did not have any euros as I did not change money before hand and I was told to settle up the next day when I changed my money.
After a few days although the apartment was fine, I found the balcony was small and I asked about an alternative room. They looked on the computer and hey presto they showed me an alternative alongside the pool area. I moved rooms and stayed there for the rest of my 2 weeks.
The complex is very rustic and traditional in Portuguese style, very clean with excellent staff who could not be more helpful.
It is not a large complex so is limited on what it offers but they still have everything you need for a wonderful stay.
The food is fresh and well cooked with a good variety at reasonable prices. You can get any type of drink, small stocked shop, games area, Internet facilities and €5 for use of wifi for your whole stay on your own laptop, tablet or phone.
The pool is a good size and is cleaned every day but it is not heated so can be quite cool as is the child's pool. There are plenty of beds, umbrellas and lounger cushions and is sunny all day till late evening.
The shop, bar and snack area is open from 10am till midnight every day. There is a larger shop over the road on the next complex or the main supermarkets between the strip and the old town. We used Aldi supermarket by the. Old town on the main road as the prices were much cheaper. A 6ltr bottle of water in Aldi was 42 cents and around €1.60 elsewhere. Having a car made life easier but there is a wide range of transport close by including the hotels own bus service to town and back.
People have complained about paying for the safe and tv but this is normal in hotels and at the price you pay for this hotel it is not much to pay for additional services if you want them.
Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending this complex and I am looking forward to going back in the future.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank yinsue
Glasgow
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

This was exactly what we wanted. A quiet and not too large complex, nice pool and a bit further from the busy Albufeira/strip though still walkable. We hired a car so were able to get to the beach easily. Our apartment (11) was large and had all we needed. Very clean and cool with no need for air conditioning. Overall a great relaxing break.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank JoTGlasgow
Glasgow
Reviewed 15 June 2013

My husband, 2 year daughter and I stayed here mid may. We were greeted at reception and shown straight to our very spacious one bedroom apartment. It was ground floor as I had notified them in advance that we would have the little one and her buggy. The only thing that bothered us was the fact that our two sets of doors opened out onto a public walkway, so we had no privacy at all when sitting outside. This did annoy me a little as I had emailed in advance to ask for a nice private balcony or terrace and we were given the exact opposite. The apartment itself is a little dated but thats not a problem. The cooking facilites were fine. There were plenty of pots and pans, crockery etc. It's not a problem at all to cook meals. We ate in the apartment alot as there are plenty of big supermarkets near the strip. There is a small mini-market in the complex next door (Quinta da Balaia). We used this for essentials like big bottles of water, bread and butter etc. The complex is very quiet, never having to queue for a drink or a snack. The food is really nice at the bar as are the cocktails..........! The whole complex was spotlessly clean and well maintained. The staff are so friendly and willing to help with anything. I had also told them in advance that it was my husbands birthday whilst we were there. They came to our door that day with a complimentary bottle of bubbly, ice bucket and two glasses. A lovely gesture!
The location is also fine. Not sure why people moan about the walk to the strip. It's not far at all. Ten minutes at the most. The strip was not our cup of tea. Maybe when we were 18 perhaps! The old town is a little further and although you can walk it, we decided to take the apartment's mini bus. It runs 3 times a day and is only 2 euro's each. We would get the bus in at 5, have dinner in the old town and walk back. The walk is around 30-40 minutes. The old town is just lovely! Fabulous places to eat, lovely beach and winding cobbled streets. Some great seafood to be had.
All in all, I loved the complex but probably wouldn't go back as there aren't any facilites for children. Apart from the baby pool which was so cold our little one didn't want to go in. I did make a suggestion for them to maybe get a little play park for kids and try heating the baby pool. Maybe they will look into this for future guests......who knows. Definately a great place for couples wanting a quiet and peaceful retreat away from the town.

Room Tip: We apartment no.19, although very large and spacious it had a very public terrace.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family