As most have said this is a pleasant, small property, nicely maintained. The apartments are basic, but have what you need. I stayed in a studio (08), which was nicely situated, set back in the corner. 08 & 07 (I think the '0' indicates a studio, as there was an apartment 8 as well) were a single storey pair, which was nice as you didn't get the noise from the tiled floors above. The studio contained 2 comfy single beds (think if you want a double you have to just push them together), the kitchen was a fridge, kettle, microwave and a freestanding, 2 ring hot plate. Loads of space. The pool area was very nice. The staff were always very pleasant. You pay 5 Euros for wifi, which covers your stay, although it only worked by the pool.
Couple of issues for me, were really both locational.
1. The property is out of the resort. This made it very peaceful, but felt a long way out. It was a 20 minute slow walk to the Strip/shops/restaurants and a 50/60 minute slow walk to the Old Town. The nearest decent supermarket was nearly 30 mins away. Cabs are easy to get. There is a bus stop at the roundabout, although not all the buses make a right at the previous roundabout some go left so don't go up to Bolaia. Fine again, you can hop off, but then you need to walk 15mins to get back. They were all Lina Azul, so I couldn't work out why some did/didn't come up to Bolaia. The buses are dirt cheap. Walk is along a busy road, but on a nice even pavement.
2. The trek to the beach. Come out of the property and turn right. You follow a dirt track down to the beach. There are wooden steps towards the end, followed by a mud hill and a wall to hop over. Once you had made it, the beach was lovely. Not sure I would want to do it with a buggy, a wheel chair would be impossible and anyone dodgy on their feet would be advised to give it a miss.
On my return trek up the dirt track, I noticed the couple about 50 yards in front of me had stopped. She was taking a photo of something on the ground. When I arrived behind them, I saw it was a 4/5 long snake, lying across the width of the path. Me and the bloke were far from happy, but were very brave once she had chased it away by stamping on the ground. Funnily enough, I didn't go down the dirt track again.
I think virtually everyone there when I was there was 30s-50s, hardly any children and no groups of youngsters while I was there.
So I think in summary, if you are active, don't mind walking and want a nice basic studio or apartment in a peaceful location this place is ideal. If you aren't up for a lot of walking, want to be in the heart of things, want to be close to the beach maybe not.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Alpha Holidays Limited, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Balaia-Sol Holiday Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balaia Sol Apartments Albufeira
- Balaia-Sol Holiday Club Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal