“Hated it!”

Hotel Apartamento Brisa Sol
Ranked #14 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
“Hated it!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Firstly I have to be honest the place was clean ,staff friendly and apartment spacious now for the bad points!
It is based on a very busy main road which kept us awake and woke us very early as the bedroom was directly opposite this road , so if you book ask for a side room but you may not get a pool view, also the beds are terribly uncomfortable and hard!
Paid for wi-fi and it's terrible ! So don't bother go somewhere with free wi-fi.
The location wasn't great it was a fair hike to the beach and the strip where all the nightlife is ! You do have a pharmacy and McDonald's and KFC opposite so if that is what you want on Holiday suppose the location it good?
We did have breakfast and it was very good but next door to this Hotel is the Riviera pastry shop and this does fabulous cakes and great breakfasts for a very low price so I highly recommend !
You will have to get up at 8 and start queuing until the doors open at 9 if you want a sun bed you will have to run and try and grab one quick as there aren't enough to go around this actually ruined our Holiday as we have never had to do this ( Check out the Rat race brisa sol video on youtube ) you won't believe it unless you see it!
The pool is freezing so it takes some getting used to .
The bar was ok in the foyer but the entertainment very poor outdated karaoke unless you like that sort of thing I suggest you jump on the train to old town as some great live bands and entertainment there but it is very busy.
There is a little train that stops outside and for 4 euros a day you can hop on hop off at 4 different locations this this was our saving grace and we used it everyday as it runs till 12.30 am and trying to get a taxi in the old town is a nightmare as queues can be up to 200 people at night .
I have tried to be very honest as I don't want anyone to be as disappointed as we were and I really can't understand all the rave reviews it gets from other ?It is no way a 4* possible 3* at a push the rooms are dated and the Beds are terrible to sleep on but they are spacious so decide what you prefer comfort or space?

Room Tip: Choose a side room as noise from road is terrible but you may get a terrible view .
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JaxC380

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Hi all. Olivia here, went to briza sol innit in january n ting, we fort it was wew nice but briza sol ruined our tym by making the weva rite cold n clloudy yah here me, we were next to this reet good supermarket but briza sol ruined dat too by making pizza hut ryt expensive, yah hear me, also da one gud fing they couldnt reck is da cat pier at da uva side but one woman did ruin it by photobombing me taking a picture of ma wench, all in all it was fantastic holiday and wud defo go back there the fuud is well nice,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank olivia w
Reviewed 4 August 2014

One of the joys of holidays for me is relaxing by the pool. One of the reasons for booking the Brisa Sol was the large pool and spacious sunbed area, unfortunately it became a stressful annoyance. The pool area doesn't open til 9am and there is a large sign stating that sunbeds cannot be reserved with towels, which on arrival I thought would be fine. The next morning I was by the pool at 9.30 to find only 2 beds empty of towels, but about 220 beds empty of people. I needed 4 beds for my family, so following the sign about non reserving by towels I asked at the poolbar if he could help. He said no try reception, but they said they couldn't leave the desk and didn't seem inclined to help anyway. The reception said that people start queing at 7.30! So we went back down to the pool & pulled the 2 empty beds-- from either ends of the pool --together and the kids put towels on the grassy area, once we'd found a spot that wasn't too wet! not ideal! Next morning had breakfast and joined the queue at 8.30, only to have people come down in the lift and push in! At 9 the door opened and people actually ran! I couldn't believe it, I managed to get 4 beds together but only just and then watched as nearly everyone left! The longer we were
there the worse it got as it went into school holidays, by the end of our 2 weeks I was almost glad it was over so we didn't have to go through this farce.
The hotel seems to get a lot of returning guests, but this really puts me off. The rooms are of a good size but are a bit tatty and dated and although they are cleaned every day, when we walked round barefoot our feet were black. The hotel is on the main road so the rooms at the front with pool views are noisy. The location is good for the old town & beach, both about 10mins, but overall I would not recommend this hotel or return!!!

1 Thank cas123463
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Just back from a weeks holiday here booked through Thomson. Hotel was exactly as I imagined it from the previous reviews, excellent central location, very clean and spacious with lots of amenities and everything you could want from a hotel really. The cleaning ladies were all so lovely, and the girl that works in the pool bar is so nice.all staff seemed very friendly. We were self catering and didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on that. The studio was well equipt for self catering and had a lovely big balcony too. The restaurant/cake shop next to the hotel is fabulous. We had breakfast here three mornings and it was so tasty and very reasonable. The pool sun lounger situation gets a lot of bad press on here, but i don't think it's the hotels fault. People were ridiculous queuing for an hour for a few sun beds, and then once the doors open running out past everyone else. It was pathetic. I went out at 9am and got beds no problem so don't bother with the queue, it's a waste as people just disregard everyone in front of them anyway. We went to the beach at the old town one day and it was €5 each for loungers and an extra €5 if you wanted the luxury of having the sun shade over u! Absolute scandal, never been charged for the use of shade before. For food we would recommend Wild and Co. In the new town. Really stylish and great staff, with the nicest steaks you could want. Not cheap but well worth the money, and we went twice. All in all a great hotel, couldn't ask for more!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rachel348
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is my third time returning to Albufeira and I heard many good reports about the Brisa Sol so I was looking forward to my stay.

Here are the good points about the hotel:

- We were in a very large apartment, very spacious with lots of storage space. It had good facilities including a kitchen with hobs, fridge, kettle, toaster etc. Had quite a large flat screen TV with some English channels. Good size bathroom and a very powerful shower.
- Hotel is very clean. Maids come everyday to clean and change towels etc.
- Very nice staff - In particular Joanna on reception. Organised an excursion through the hotel and she was very helpful and informative.
- Excellent location. Taxi rank just down the street, large super market next door which is essential if self catering (Although there is a cheaper one across the road with a better selection of fresh fruits!). 15 minute walk to the Old Town and Strip.

Not so good points -

- The hotel decor is very dated and tired looking. Rooms were very old fashioned. I have previously stayed in two four star hotels in Albuferia and the Brisa Sol does not compare to these. I think it is more like a 3 star hotel.
- The mad run to the pool!!!! People are qued for the pool opening at 9am from 8am. They run madly around the area placing towels on beds and then clearing off for the day. By 9.10 all sunbeds are gone. We were able to get some sun beds in the afternoon as some days the weather was very cloudy. However there is a sign that says 'Do not reserve sunbeds'. This clearly needs reinforced.
- The hotel is rather noisy. We were on the same level as the reception and were literally right beside it. From our balcony the room next to us was the bar. This proved to be rather annoying at night, particuarly when wanting to get up early for excursions. Listening to some karoke singing until 12.30am isnt the most pleasant thing! Also the walls are like paper so you will be able to hear exactly what your neighbours beside you, above you and under you are doing.
- I also feel that paying for WIFI is unacceptable! It is 2014 afterall!!!

Overall this is an average hotel. I feel it should not be rated a 4 star and there are much better and more modern hotels in the area.

Graiguenamanagh, Ireland
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hi stayed here for a week from the 13 to 20 July 2014. The hotel was excellent, clean, polite staff, helpful, lovely apartment, lovely pool, i enjoyed everything about the hotel. My wife and 14 year old stayed here and the apartment was plenty big, lovely and clean (cleaned everyday), everything you needed with a lovely view of the pool. It is very central for everything, the old town and new town, the beaches were all in walking distance ( and i am disabled), loads of excellent restaurants, bars, clubs.

I have been in Portugal before buts its a few years ago, but the hotel flights everything was well organised and the hotel is very central, as i am disabled this is very good. The only thing id say to people who are more disabled is that the way to the beach has 2 escalators so this probably be very restrictive and its the way down to Old Town.

It was a good holiday for the price enjoyable (not expensive).

Room Tip: Look for a room with a balcony overlooking the pool it fantastic
2 Thank finnybol
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We went on holiday on the 17th July for a week. Had a taxi transfer to the hotel which was good. The apartment had a pool view but we had to switch half way through holiday because of the noise at the back where are bedroom was this was not a problem and the one we moved into was a lot quieter. The pool area was nice my only complaint the queue at 9am and not enough sunbeds. We read all the reviews before we went and the ones about hard beds were very correct I have never slept on such a hard bed did not help folding up blankets to put underneath. The land train to the left of the hotel as you go out is good but it is a trip of about 40 mins to the old town. To walk to the old town takes 10 minutes and is a very pleasant walk. The staff at the hotel were all very friendly and willing to help. The Thompson rep was excellent always very helpful worth going to the welcome meeting as you get lots of info and you can book the trips. Went on the catermaran boat trip this was ok but very packed like sardines the crew was very friendly felt a bit rushed off the little boats going into caves. Went to the waterpark which was not as big as I was expecting also don't go on a cloudy day because it is freezing and spoils it a bit. The best day trip was at zoomarina we decided to get taxi there and back from the hotel which altogether was 30 euros which meant we could get there for opening at 10am and leave when we wanted to which was about 6.45 but it is open to 7.30. There is a locker which you can have for the day for 5 euros which we did. One tip take flip flops around with you even walking on the beach bit hurt due to being to hot to walk on!!The shows were all good the best one being the dolphin show which was amazing. The wave pool and beach was nice also all the other attractions was good. One tip get the leaflet for zoomarina in the airport for money off vouchers which saved us10 euros. If we were there longer we would of paid for the second day ticket which is very cheap. Zoomarina would be excellent for children under 12 for teens they may think some things are a bit tame but still an enjoyable day. The old town was such a great atmosphere loved it. Tried the restaurants on the beach front which were very packed did not like how you got pounced on to look at menus all the time but they were very friendly the infinity bar has restaurant upstairs and not only sushi had a lovely meal on the top floor where you could overlook the sea also free wifi which was a bonus. Quite expensive for eating out and drinks. I would like to go back but I would try a different hotel if I do. Paid for wifi in hotel did not work in rooms only in lobby and by pool area. Did not go to new town but passed it in the land train looked very vibrant and would be great for the younger generation. The cake shop is not to be missed also the shopping centre to the right as you go out of the hotel is worth a look around that's also where the big supermarket is where you can get your shopping if self catering.

Room Tip: Rooms that have a pool view are a must.
3 Thank alison m