“The bad reviews aren't justified at all”

Hotel Apartamento Brisa Sol
Ranked #14 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
London
“The bad reviews aren't justified at all”
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I was very surprised to see the bad reviews of the Brisa Sol on this site as we had booked it based on the good reviews we saw on here in July 2009. I would say that I don't agree with most of them and so if I was you I would look at the reviews further back as well to get a balanced view.

Myself and a friend visited the Brisa Sol in the first week of August and would have little to say that is negative. The hotel is only about a 15-20 min walk to the old town. There is a hill which you need to come up on the way back so maybe harder for those who have walking difficulties but fine if not. There is a supermarket next door and plenty of fast food places opposite if that is the kind of thing you are after. The cake shop next door is lovely, it's very popular with the locals and would recommend the traditional custard tarts. We didn't realise till the last night (doh!) that if you walk right to the back of the cake shop there is a balcony which overlooks the Brisa Sol pool which is very nice at night.

We had a studio which we found to be very spacious, no problems with the bathroom which was very clean and no mould as some people have mentioned on here. We didn't pay extra for a pool view so overlooked the car park and back of supermarket. We didn't find this a problem as we only sat on the balcony for a drink before we went out but you would probably want a pool view if you wanted to do more than that.

The amenities in the hotel were very good,. There was a paper shop at the front and the bar seemed nice enough although we never went in there. They had live music or kareoke most nights. We didn't eat in the restaurant as it lacked atmosphere compared to restaurants in the area but it looked nice enough. Most days we took our own food round the pool but we did eat at the snack bar which was reasonably priced. The pool area is really nice but my one complaint would be as others have mentioned the race to reserve sun loungers, You do need to be up about 9am to get a spot in the morning but lots of people leave by lunch so you can usually get one in the afternoon. We went to the beach quite a few days so it wasn't really a problem.

We didn't venture to the new town area but it was only about 10-15 mins walk away and there is a little train which stops outside the hotel which you can catch. We spent most evenings in the old town. Restaurant wise I would recommend the ones which overlook the beach rather than the ones in the square which are very touristy and quite expensive for not great food. I would recommed the restaurant which has an area directly on the beach (you can see it from the escalators going down to the beach). Can't remember its name but the fish was lovely. Also a restaurant called the tunnel which is on the steps near the tunnel down to the beach. We would never have come across it if it wasn't for a recommendation on here but would say it's definately worth a visit.

I probably wouldn't go back to Albufeira again as I feel I have seen it now but if I did I would definately stay at the Brisa Sol again. Vilamoura is worth a visit as well as the harbour is lovely and there are some lovely private beach clubs.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
England
Reviewed 24 August 2009

The pool area was noce but the rest of the hotel was a disaster!!! I would never reccomend this hotel to anybody, it is dirty, waiters are rude and it was the worst holiday I have ever been on and because of this I will never chance going to portugal and wasting so much money again!! Take my advise JUST DONT GO!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 20321414
Carlisle
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Just arrived back from a 2 week stay at the Brisa Sol and I have to say that I was extremely disappointed with the Studio we were staying in - it was not what I was expecting at all as I thought I had booked a one bedroomed apartment only to find that we had been allocated a studio apartment. We did query this straight away but were told that it was the height of the season and they were full so could not offer us any alternative accommodation. However, saying that we made the most of it and did not let this ruin our holiday. (I will take this matter up with the holiday company. )
The location of the Hotel is excellent - approx 10/15 mins to old town (depending on how fast you walk) and about 20/25 mins to the new town (again depending on how fast you walk). We paid extra for a pool view which also included a sea view (at no extra cost) and I would definately advise getting a pool view as the other rooms looked out over the main road or the rear car park.
When you go be prepared for the "Sunbed Sprint" which takes place at 9.00 am every day - you cannot gain access to the pool area before 9.00 am as the door is on a time switch, unless of course you have a poolside apartment and then you can reserve your sunbeds before 9.00am - which people did, some reserving up to 10 sunbeds at one time when only three people in their party - much to the disguist of the others waiting to be "let out" at 9.00am. You need to make you way down to the "waiting area" at approximately 8.15-8.30 if you want a sunbed for the day and you really do have to run for a sunbed as when we were there people we sprinting to get to the sunbeds - men, women and children!!! It was very funny to watch from our balcony all the people running for the sunbeds. If you have ever seen the James Villa advert on the tele where the people all rush for the sunbeds, then it is just like that !!!! Be warned though, some days the pool man removed all the towels from the unoccupied sun beds and threw them in a pile in the corner.
The cakes in the cake shop next door to the hotel were fantastic - so many different cakes to choose from that you really were spoilt for choice. We never had a bad meal either and couldn't really pick a favourite restaurant and would not like to recommend any in particular as not only are everyone's tastes different but I couldn't pick one that I liked the best as all the places we visited were extremely nice.
Personally, I liked the old town the best with its quaint cobbled streets and whitewashed buildings but again it is personal choice and some might prefer the new town.
The hightlight of the holiday was the dolphin interaction at Zoo Marine that both my daughter and myself participated in. Being a dream of ours to swim with the dolphins, this made the whole holiday even more enjoyable so if you also have a dream to swim with the dolphins then a visit to the Zoo Marine is a must but you do need to book the Dolphin Interaction in advance, but just see your rep or go to the many booking kiosks dotted around the resort.
Overall, I would give this holiday an 8 out of 10 with the best bit being swimming with the dolphins.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I was unimpressed with the standard of accommodation in the Brisa Sol.

As we were arriving early in the morning 10am we phoned the hotel the week before and requested an early check in as we knew we would be tired and want to sleep on arrival. However when we got there our room was not ready and we had to wait until 2pm for our room. We ended up falling asleep in the grass by the pool as there were not sun beds free.

We booked a studio and the size of the room was as expected but the bathroom was very old and had mould on the grouting between the tiles. The shower had good pressure but went hot and cold all the time.

The kitchenette was well stocked with two ring hob, travel kettle, toaster, microwave and plenty of cups, plates, pots etc. which were all clean and looked fairly new.

There is a no reserving sun beds policy in the hotel but no one sticks to it people queue up the stairs leading out the pool every morning from 8.30am as the pool area opens at 9am and then grab beds for the hole family. We usually went down to the pool at 11 and sat in the grass for a while and got sun beds within an hour or so as people started leaving to go to lunch etc. However be warned we had beach towels, sun scream and books taken while in the pool or while back to our room for lunch so watch your belongings.

The pool its self is large and very clean and the area around the pool is well maintained. Drinks from the pool bar are expensive but you can bring your own down with you. I can not comment on the food as we did not eat there.

The location was good, half between the old and the new town with a supermarket next door and McDonalds , KFC and subway across the street.

On the way to the old town “Casa do Chef” is well worth a visit the food is slightly more expensive than in the old town but the quality is SO must better. The food is cooked fresh no frozen chips or reheats which seams to be the norm in both the old and new towns. The cake shop next door is very good and well wort a visit.

If you like live music Wild and Co in the new town and The Bank in the Old town are the places to go, live music every night. The bands are very good.

Over all I would not stay in the Brisa Sol again but would return to Albufeira but not peck season.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 19 August 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here and couldn't fault the place at all.

Everything was spot on, clean, spacious and great friendly staff.
The apartment was well equipped with 2 hobs and a microwave,
a kettle, toaster, cutlery, cups, plates etc and plenty of pans if
you wanted to cook - which we didn't.
The air-con was a fantastic bonus! And boy, did we need it!
(Weather was excellent.)

The apartment was cleaned daily by the chirpy, friendly cleaners,
and the sheets and towels changed lots of times.

One tip though - pay the extra for a pool view like we did.
(We got friendly with another couple who had a room overlooking
the road.
OK they knew they weren't getting a pool view so I didn't think they
should complain - but oh boy, did they!)

Brisa Sol is in a great spot for getting to both the Old Town and The
Strip.
Another tip - don't write off the Strip!

The bottom end is manic of an night (even for a young couple like us)
but the
end near the Montechoro Hotel is so much calm and there are some
smashing places to eat and drink.
(we have stayed up towards that end before and so knew it already.)

We also found the places up the top of the Strip to be much cheaper
than the Old Town for food and drink
Another tip -try ENGLISH KITCHEN for a meal - excellent food and value.

Back to the Brisa Sol

There's a small shopping precinct next door with a chemist, electrical shop,
florist, pizza place, health food shop, various stalls and Modelo supermarket,
which was very well stocked. That was really handy for water and drinks
and cheaper than the poolside bar - that was expensive so we took our
own down to the pool.

The pool and the pool area are lovely. Although the pool doesn't open until
9am of a morning - when lots of people queue up to bag their beds - my
one gripe - I hate this!

But later in the week, I think when some people may have gone home,
this practice seemed to slack off (or maybe the hotel did something about
it because there were lots of people complaining?) because you could still
get a sun bed after 10.30am - which we sure couldn't for the first few days
of our holiday.

I've also got to give a special mention to Riviera which is next door to the
Brisa Sol. It's quite famous in the area for it's delicious cakes - and they
really are delicious. But their food in general is really good too, as are their
prices. The staff there are so nice, even though they are always busy, they
always remain very pleasant and friendly..
Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

10 minutes stroll takes you into the Old Town which although lovely, didn't
appeal to us as much as 2007.
Of an evening, round the square are street entertainers, but as the nights
went on, we also found it became more racious than we remember it.

Another tip - if you are going to eat in the Old Town, take yourself away from
the square. Prices are much lower but the food is just as good, if not better.

You might consider that tip when drinking there too. We went into Sir Harrys
one afternoon and for 4 large soft drinks (we were with another couple) we
were charged €17!!! I hope they made the most of it because they didn't get
another cent off us for the rest of our stay.

We also got a bit fed up of being offered drugs round the Old Town.
Sleazy looking middle aged men sidling up to us - it really got on our nerves.

We were later told by a local that the drug pushers are not actually that they
are con men. Apparently, they charge €40 for 1 gram of coke which is
in fact talcum powder.
And the weed they sell is actually brown candle wax.
But if you are daft enough to buy it, then you can't complain I suppose.
And it's not as though you can complain to anyone is it?
Which the drug pushers/con men are no doubt aware of.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay at Brisa Sol again, although next year we are
thinking of staying in the area of Praia Da Oura after a stroll past Wild & Co
one night took us down by the Hotel Oura Praia.
We discovered more great restaurants and some very friendly bars down there
that we didn't know existed. It didn't seem a busy as other parts either, which was
nice.

so if you are thinking about booking the brisa Sol, go for it, you won't be sorry.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SillyBillyUK
Scotland
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel first 2 weeks of August.
Great big spacious rooms, cleaners come round every day to change towels.
Great location for both the Strip and the Old Town, we preferred to go to the old town though.
Was great weather although I did find it a bit chilly at night, quite windy.
Prices are pretty much the same as back in the UK.
This was our 2nd time in Albufeira and would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Borders
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Just returned from one week holiday at this hotel. The hotel is close to the two main area in Albufera: The Strip and the Old Town. Both areas can appeal to everyone. The hotel staff were friendly, and provided a bottle of wine as it was my birthday during my stay. There is a restaraunt close by, which is well used by the locals, where they wiegh your plate and charge accordingly. I would recommend this due to price and quality of food.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends