“Great 4 day escape”

Albufeira Sol Suite Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Just returned from 4days here with my husband first impressions reception very good and always someone available to help free wifi for entire stay. Hallways very dark but the apartments massive and very clean the pool area although small was fine for the amount of people staying at the time not sure what it would be like high season pool bar staff were great and the restaurant was very clean the food suited our needs as we are not fussy but I believe some families would the entertainment was basic would def return with my husband but not with kids

Room Tip: Try to get a pool view on the lower floors
2  Thank CheD34
Gonçalo Campos S, Gerente geral at Albufeira Sol Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments in Tripadvisor. Your opinion is very important to the Albufeira Sol Hotel & SPA and to other guests that consider a trip to Albufeira.

We must insist on the fact that we are a four star hotel - classified by the Portuguese government.

We must thank you for all the compliments, mainly to the Staff and cleanliness of the proterty.

Unfortunately there are some aspects of your stay that were less ok. Regarding the Food & Beverage area, we are improving in a daily basis. Our diversityy of choice and all the improvements done daily make us believe that we are in the right track.

Also regarding the Stag Parties, unfortunately they are coming to Hotel Albufeira Sol but, despite what you think, until their arrival we have no idea of the fact that they are coming.

We try to have the most constructive aproach possible because these reservations (as all the others) are part of the contracts we have with Tour Operators and we must honour them.
We have taken measures in order for these groups not to come again in the next seasons.

Best regards from the Albufeira Sol Hotel & Spa.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,665)

Reviewed 22 May 2014

HI, read reviews before we went. When we booked earlier in the year there were no reports on stag and hen does. However the last few weeks before we left, we could see it was obviously becoming a problem.
We arrived at the hotel with an open mind as to what to expect, having hired a car from Faro airport, and had a pleasant drive down. Having found the hotel, we parked and to be honest I went in to enquire if this was the Albufeira Sol hoping to be told no, sorry it wasn't and our hotel would be the lovely one around the corner. Alas !! yes it was our destination for a week.
So as you can see first impressions were not great, surely not a four star hotel.
Check in was very good, the staff not only on check in ,but where. ever we encountered them were excellent. Also this is probably one of the cleanest and most cleaned hotels we have ever stayed in.
That is where the compliments end.
First encounter with the restaurant was awful, yes plenty of salads, plenty of puddings but a fish dish, not brilliant and a pork offering. Not a good start. To be honest the menu did improve dramatically in our week, and we did enjoy some good if not brilliant food towards the end of our time there.
We feel that some refurbishment is going on in the hotel.
So after we had tried the restaurant we looked at the pool and bar area. Wow, never seen so many (Drunken yobs.)
Ok we couldn't stay here didn't unpack, and went to try other hotels in the area that we had stayed at before. To no avail all fully booked.Now we realised that we might as well unpack and try and enjoy the week ahead as best as we could.
Monday all the drunken yobs disappeared, great. So we had most of Monday Tuesday and part of Weds until they began to reappear. We had hired a car so we were able to escape for some of the time . However I have to say that Friday evening was the worst time we have ever spent in any hotel anywhere in the world. My husband and I are in our late sixties, and in all our lives we have never experienced the drunken behaviour, both in your bar and later when we were trying to sleep, as the clubbers returned to their rooms.
We did speak to the guy who was checking us out , about this behaviour, and sadly his only concern was the young British drink culture. We have never experienced this behaviour before in Britain or abroad, and perhaps the management ought to realise, that they are providing the perfect awful situation for this nightmare to happen.
We and sadly most of the average tourists would not even consider visiting this hotel again.
Again we say thank you for the very pleasant and cheerful staff that we encountered, and we can only feel sorry for them ,that they have to deal with such awful horrid people.

3  Thank Sue B

Dear Guest,

Best regards from the Albufeira Sol Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

First I should start by saying that this was my first visit to Portugal so I have no experience of what is normal standards.

Check-in
Rice big roomy reception but the first thing I was asked for was a credit card. I informed the receptionist that my room was paid for but they assured me it was normal and would not let me in without my card details. These details were taken on a piece of paper along with my home address and telephone number. I have never had this in all my years of staying in holiday hotels. What if I didn’t own a card? There was no advanced warning from my booking agent.

The Room
We were given an apartment away from the hotel which was quiet clean and comfortable but a little bit basic and not like the photos on their or any travel company website.

The Staff
Perfectly pleasant, especially the maids who spoke good English and always spoke to you. Bar staff were ok also

The Pool Area
Nice big pool and sunbathing area, mostly grass. Decent amount of loungers for this time of year and pads are provided for the beds but I don’t think there as many as the beds.

The Bar
Pool bar is hopeless when they are serving snacks. They serve one person at a time even if you only want a drink. If somebody in front of you orders a couple of burgers with chips you will wait about ten minutes to get a drink. They only have beer and soft drinks at this bar.
The spirit selection is very poor. They don’t have local Malibu or local Pernod and a few other things that guests drink but couldn’t get. I have never been to an all-inclusive anywhere else that has none of these, unfortunately it’s what we drink. Beer is OK

The Restaurant
Where do I start. The food selection is awful. Very poor choice of meat. One night the only meat they had was kebabs. On my first two nights I had Beef and chicken. Both were stone cold and there is no microwave to use. Another night we couldn’t find anything so decided to eat out. We went to the nearest restaurant to be told it was about 30 wait. Yep it was full of guests with bands on from our hotel, so it’s not just us that didn’t like the food.
They don’t clear away plates quickly enough so sometimes you have to clear away plates to get a seat and either sit at a dirty table or clean it yourself. This did seem to get a little bit better towards the end of the week, but they never re-set the table with napkins or cutlery.
Also if you go in a little later than opening time you don’t get the same selection, they don’t replace cakes etc. The soups are not worth talking about, they are just out of a can. I could spend pages on their failings in the dining room but just simply say that it would even fail to be 2* rating.

I know the hotel is not responsible for guests behaviour but the do encourage large groups to stay especially at the weekend. There was no problem generally but they do take over and get very noisy, then simply add alcohol loud language is disgraceful. The women being every bit as bad as the men. This is from somebody who goes to Benidorm at least once year and is well used to stags / hens. For this reason sadly I cannot recommend this hotel to families with children.

Check-out
You check out at 11am. The hotel will take your band off you and give you a meal voucher if you are leaving later. This means you cannot get any drinks hard or soft. This is grossly unfair as we didn’t arrive till 9.30pm on our first day and didn’t leave till evening. Also be aware that no courtesy room is provided so you can’t shower and change. They tell to use the spa at a charge of 10 euros per couple.

As I said I don’t know how they rate hotels in Portugal but if this was in mainland Spain, The Balearics, the Canaries and a few other places it would very much struggle to get 3* never mind 4*.

1  Thank Auristocrat

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments in Tripadvisor.

Indeed, as in any hotel across the world, we insist on the Credit card details or 100€ as deposit per room on check-in.

We must state that your review is very unfair in many of its statements, especially in the food & beverage department. We know there are areas in wich we have to work harder and improve, but what you have described in your review is not Albufeira Sol Hotel & Spa. For this reason i will not comment anything else.

Best regards from the Algarve.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

i have recently rtnd from a 2wk stay it is not 4 star but a 2star 18/30 hotel alot of stag and hen parties causing bother round the pool and loud in the bar area. the food is cold and a very poor choice plus plates cold although sign saying hot!!!.entertainment non existent background music very very loud.mosst of the staff miserable except @ the reception. rooms not cleaned properly from going in too the end of your holiday.nor lifeguard or security during the day and no rails around the inside of adult or child pool.stag and hen parties very noisy and the language terrible in all areas also throwing beds in the pool and pillows out of the windows would not recommend this hotel 2 anybody and i am not a snob.

Room Tip: do not book 2 go to this hotel
3  Thank Sheila B

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments in Tripadvisor.

For me as General Manager, it is rather sad that i read all which was written, while never readingour imediate response to the actions that took place, having them expeld from the hotel, for the respect and security of all other clients. These should also be in the review..

We are sorry if the food & beverage was not of your satisfaction. We have just opened (last Sunday) the new Grill A La Carte restaurant by the pool, improving the experience for all out guests.

Best regards from the Algarve.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Just back from a 3 night girlie break. This is the 2nd time we have visited this resort. The first time was as self catering and this time as all inclusive. Both times we have been happy with the service & food. It is right that there are a lot of hen/stag parties but we found them to be polite and friendly. Whilst we were staying there were 2 bus loads of what looked like a Spanish Saga holiday and they were a lot noiser and rude than anyone else. They were quite happy to push in at the bar and ignore the queue. The location of the hotel are ideal. Plenty of bars/restaurants within walking distance but far away from the noise of the strip. The amenities in the hotel are great although this time the indoor pool was shut which was a shame. But all in all we are looking to go back for a short break again in October

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank lexusSC

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion about our hotel with us and with all our potential clients.

I’m glad you found our staff friendly and helpful , our food excelellent .

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest regards.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband came on on our first ever beach holiday abroad. I picked the hotel at random while researching the holiday and I'm very pleased I did.

We stayed all inclusive and have to say that the food was excellent.
Lots of choices at all 3 meals - bacon, sausage, eggs for the cooked breakfast brigade. Continental items for all, lots of tempting fruit, breads and pastries.
Lunch and dinner were equally filling - always a fish and meat option with veg and a potato option. There was always a full to the brim salad bar and plenty of desserts to choose from, as well as a vegetarian option and a kids corner too.
Can even have snacks in the afternoon from the pool side bar of burgers, hotdogs, fries, sandwiches etc. All inclusive could have free ice creams too as well as the usual alcoholic and soft beverages.

The staff were always pleasant and had a smile for everyone, even when under stress.

There were a few hen and stag parties staying at the hotel and they could be very noisy and rowdy in the bar at night. Which I have no problem with, but the entertainment got a little lost.

Our air-conditioned room (junior suite) was lovely with a small balcony overlooking the houses. The fridge in the kitchenette was a life saver for water etc.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Hotel is about 15min walk from the beach and is near to the The Strip, full of bars and restaurants, where it has to be said, everyone wants your custom!
The Old Town is definitely worth a visit, only 1.40 euro on the local bus.

2  Thank BriansWench

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your excellent comments in Tripadvisor. Your opinion is very important to the Albufeira Sol Hotel & SPA and to other guests that consider a trip to Albufeira.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in a near future.

Sunny regards from the Albufeira Sol

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Don't go if you like a quiet relaxing holiday!
I stayed in this hotel from the 10th to 17th May this holiday was paid for out of my 50th birthday money I wish I'd never bothered it was full of stag and hen party's on arrival the room was well above our expectations, but had to go to our room early as the drunken behaviour in the bar area was horrendous, I had my grandson with me so spent every evening in our room as I didn't want to subject him to the vile language, sexualy explicit chat and very scary goings on.
We was told on the hotel page on jet2 that this was a family friendly hotel???
No family entertainment was told that at 8.45 pm there would be a kiddie disco this never happened then Friday evening there would be a parrot show at 21.45??? For children at this time? A man then took 2 parrots around all the drunks to take photos at €10 each at 22.45 proceded with the show, this was a useless task as the lude drunken entire audience were louder and nothing could be seen or herd!
This was not an experience I ever want to repeat

alison perrett