We booked the Olhos D'Agua aparthotel but were moved to the Oceanus because the other one was under renovation. We had booked a studio apartment but upon checking in, were upgraded to a 1-bedroom apartment (Room 116). This was a corner apartment and so had two balconies, one of which (the side one) faced the main road. As mentioned by other reviewers, the main road was very noisy so I can just imagine how bad it must be for those apartments facing the main road completely. When booking, ask for the even number apartments except for the 116 because of that side balcony.
The apartment overall was spacious but in urgent need of upgrading. As mentioned in the other reviews, there were cracked tiles on the wall and the bathtub, grout on the tiles and walls, decaying wooden doors, taps that were in need of change, toilet bowl that was stained, shower curtain that was torn at the bottom, window curtains that were not properly mounted, a sofa that was stained and faded, etc. In this age and technology, I can't understand why hotels still persist in upholstering sofas in fabric which prove difficult to maintain. In my opinion, if you can't wash it regularly, don't use it. Nobody likes sitting or lying on a sofa and wondering about the origin of that red or yellow stain! At least 2 essential lamps were not working in our apartment and when brought to the attention of the staff, was given the assurance that a technician would be notified. Never saw the technician for the 4 days that we were there. As such, we were left groping our way to the living area in the dark whenever we came back at night because the hall lamp wasn't working. In-room safe was available for rent at €1.50/day with a €10 deposit.
No couple beds throughout the whole hotel, only single ones. Worse still, they didn't have double bedsheets either to make up 2 single beds as a double bed so the best that could be done was to push 2 single beds together, each with its own set of sheets. Neither comfortable nor romantic.
The kitchen was fairly well-equipped. No microwave, though, and only one cutting knife to use. You are also expected to buy your own dishwashing liquid and sponge to wash the cooking utensils as housekeeping doesn't provide them. In the living area we could hear a lot of noise from the apartment above e.g. flushing of the toilet (very clearly), footsteps and furniture being moved around. If someone needs to sleep in the living room, it is advisable to bring earplugs.
The hotel had an outdoor pool and a lovely indoor one which, although advertised as 'heated', was only heated in winter. As such, the pool was empty most of the time because the water was very cold. Swimming caps were compulsory and you could rent them from the reception at €2.50 per person. The Nautilus bar adjoining this indoor pool had reasonably good prices for the drinks and also had a karaoke session every night for guests.
Location wise, the hotel was situated in a good area - safe and quiet (except for the facade facing the main road), near 2 supermarkets (Intermarché and Echomarché), pharmacies, banks, post office, bus stops (buses to Albufeira and nearby towns), restaurants, church and 2 beaches (Olhos D'Agua beach and Maria Luiza beach). All were within 5-8 minutes' walking distance. A taxi ride to Albufeira cost us €4.35.
To sum it all up, this hotel needs to undergo a major renovation both physically and philosophically. Friendly but inefficient staff do nothing to add to the already low appeal of staying at this hotel. There are better hotels in the vicinity and for the price you pay for this hotel, it is worth staying elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanus Aparthotel ***The newly expanded Oceanus Aparthotel is located in the centre of the charming summer resort of Olhos d'Agua on the Algarve. Recently enlarged through the acquisition of the Aparthotel Olhos d'Agua, this 3 Star vacation retreat makes an affordable base for couples and families with a wide range of shops and restaurants nearby and 102 attractive studios and one bedroom apartments resting in 2 buildings surrounded by lovely gardens with a sparkling swimming pool. Guests of the Oceanus Aparthotel can discover the marvellous beaches of Olhos d'Aqua (500 m) and Maria Luísa (800 m), explore delightful little villages with narrow cobbled streets, and tackle the challenging golf course in nearby Acoteias. For a bargain holiday in the Algarve, Oceanus Aparthotel makes the grade! Faro International Airport is 30 km from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Aparthotel Oceanus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aparthotel Oceanus Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal
- Aparthotel Oceanus Hotel Albufeira
- Oceanus Hotel