We stayed in apartment 29, 18-25th March. We arrived at 11.30pm and just needed to sleep. First impressions were good - the fella on reception was friendly and pointed us in the direction of our apartment, which looked great at first glance. Then the problems started. The beds are hard, the 1 pillow you get is huge and very firm.. too uncomfortable to sleep on properly. We booked a double room and got 2 single beds. We woke up every morning with a sore neck and shoulders due to the awful pillows. In the morning we inspected the apartment properly and found that a lot of areas were not clean at all and..
- There was water and greasy marks all over the walls and dust in the kitchen.
- The shower wasn't attached and the water kept running hot and cold
- We had a MAJOR problem with ants in the bedroom
- There was a light switch in the doorway, but they'd taken the light out!
- None of the cutlery matched, we had different sized/shaped everything
- The freezer door was broken and wouldn't close
- The plate in the microwave didn't spin
- It stank under the sink, and there was a smell of smoke for the first few days
- There was no sink drainer - where do they want us to put wet plates?!
- And as expected.. nothing to wash up with, and no tea towel
We told the lady on reception about the shower problem when we left in the morning and somebody came to fix it before tea, however it wouldn't point anywhere but the floor, so we had to get out onto a wet floor.
Day 2 - We wanted toast for breakfast so we went to ask at reception for a toaster before heading outside again. When we returned for tea we still hadn't got one, so we asked a second time before heading out at night. The fella on reception checked to see if they had any spare, and said he'd take one across now. When we returned, there was still no toaster!
Day 3 - 3rd time lucky, we asked for a toaster.. and finally got one by tea time! We also had to ask for a remote for the TV.. which had a very bad signal, we could only get Sky News
During our stay we noticed the hotel used to be a 4 star.. we wondered why it was nicely decorated. The pool was reasonably clean, but wasn't cleaned once while we were there. The towels in the bathroom were changed everyday, but they'd seen better days. The cleaners didn't mop the floor at all.
Day 6 - After putting up with hundreds of ants we'd had enough. We told the receptionist about the problem at 11am and nobody came to sort it until 4pm, when a cleaner put powder down. My boyfriend struggled to get them to understand what "ants" were.. seems like their English isn't great.
There was only about 5 other rooms occupied at this time so it's not as if they were too busy. As there was so many rooms free, we wondered why they'd put us all together. We had neighbours above us and at the side, and the walls were paper thin so we could hear everything!! If they didn't go to sleep until 12, then neither did we! The apartment is on the ground floor, so we had no sun to the balcony whatsoever, which we were a bit disappointed about. We didn't order any drinks or food here, but there was no staff in the bar area to order anything anyway.
The old town is a good 25 mins walk and the nearest beach about 10 mins. There is a little supermarket just up the road. It's a good job we went at this time of year as the nightclub "Kiss" is right outside the door (and was closed until April). I'm not surprised so many people are kept awake.
I will also mention that the cleaner walked in on us naked at 9.40am check-out day! There was no need for them to come in until we'd left!!
Don't bother staying here. There are plenty of other hotels and apartments around, many 3 and 4 star and look much nicer, and probably cleaner! We wouldn't stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Topazio is situated in Areias de S. Joao, 200 metres from Aveiros Beach. Its modern rooms and apartments have private balconies and there is an outdoor swimming pool. The rooms and apartments of the Topazio Hotel each include a satellite TV, minibar and air conditioning. The apartments also have a kitchenette with a microwave. Guests can enjoy breakfast with a swimming pool or garden view. The snack-bar serves a variety of snacks as well as refreshing drinks and cocktails. Sun loungers and parasols provide a relaxing setting to spend the afternoon by the pool. Children can play around in the pool's paddling section, have fun in the kid's park and play mini golf. Hotel Topazio is situated 300 metres from bars, restaurants, shops and supermarkets. Albufeira is 2.5. km away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Onthebeach, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Topazio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Topazio Hotel Albufeira
- Hotel Topazio Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal