“Nice spacious apartment but no air conditioning and out of the way of main town.”

Novochoro Apartamentos Turisticos
Ranked #60 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
West Midlands
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Stayed for 2 weeks at Novochoro Apartments. Chose these apartments because had good reviews, however when we arrived there we were taken to a nice one bedroom apartment, which was beautiful, however when asked if it has air con in the room, was told no. Well I was a little shocked as in the main 2 weeks of August you need that basic essential. The description on holiday website, stated air con in rooms, we were told that only the studios had air con? I was a little confused as the studios do not normally house families but couples, well to me it made sense to put the air con in family apartments due to having children under 9. This straight away put a damper on my holiday. The apartment I could not fault it was tastefully designed and was very spacious indeed. The cleaner came in every other day and she was very thorough and very pleasant. The apartments are too out of the way for families, I took my 6 & 8 year old with me on holiday and it was a good 30-45 minute walk to the beach and 30 minutes to the centre, which is ok if you are a couple as I love to walk on holiday but the children were too hot to walk that distance, therefore had to keep getting taxis twice a day and at a cost of 25 euros each day was a good chunk out of my spending money. The pool facilities were inadequate, too small a pool and lack of sunbeds and parasols were all torn and broken, therefore the pool area and parasols need a facelift. Therefore we did not use the pool at all, used the beach each day instead. There was no entertainment on at all as only a very small complex which was very quiet at night. The had a group of Portugese or Spanish young girls staying in the apartment above, who were extremely noisy and disruptive till at least 3.00a.m each morning having parties every night which kept my children up each night. Although this sounds like a bad review it isn't, I think if the hotel puts in air conditioning in all rooms it would encourage more people to return. The staff though on the other hand were very helpful and polite, especially the young blonde lady, she was lovely even offered to help with our suitcases bless her when we arrived and she showed us to our apartment. I would definately recommend this small hotel to couples due to the location but not to families with small children. I had not been to Portugal before it was very beautiful but very very expensive to eat out. Costing 65 euros for 4 of us to eat out, with a main meal only plus a drink each! Due to how expensive Portugal is I do not think I would return again unless the cost of eating out was cheaper, your money just goes no where at all. The beaches were lovely especially santa Eualia Beach, worth a visit, a lovely small beach, nice and flat, not too overcrowded with many locals. Had to get a taxi down there and back though, just a short walk out of the new town down a hill. The Old Town is very quaint with a lot of character, loved it, but restaurants again very expensive. The Marina was a nice walk from Old Town which was very colourful, with Miami style apartments. Bars very reasonably priced, cheaper than Old Town. Overall had a lovely holiday, weather was very hot indeed, but is the main season so expected it. Take mosquito repellant with you as we all got bit mainly at night and take plenty of spending money as you are going to need it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank LinziWestMidlands

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My family and I went there for one week, at first we thought its nice place 2nd day we asked if they could clean the place as it was sticky on the floors. It was too much trouble for them, there is no air con too hot and you can't leave windows open as there birds making noise at night time we asked to change our room they said 20 euros a night.Sleeping was not comfortable, food is not nice on the complex. They charge arm and leg for food 2 euros for a tin of backed beans and 2 euros for 4 slice of bread.
Think twice before booking at novochoro it's out off reach and nothing to do on the complex we could not wait to get home, if you have booked hope you guys have better experience than us.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank 382Meen382
Manchester
Reviewed 25 July 2013

First let me say its more a budget type of accomodation that is a wee bit strange as it has been done up nice appartment wise as we stayed in the New Block.
But there seems to be a lack of any kind of maintenence going on as the Pool Area very run down.Sun Loungers falling apart and parasoles ripped and falling over.
Bar reception area needs an update food etc and no so great on drinks.
Would have a lot of potential if somebody looked after it.
There seems to be a lot of Students etc useing it hence perhaps why its so run down.
Its a bit too far out of proper shops and places to eat but a good bus service and taxi service but if you like to walk take your hiking boots etc.
We would not go back as just too far out to get basic things like newspaper or a few bits and bobs.Walked to big supermarket about half hour away taxi back fully loaded.
Sometimes you just want to go down to the bar and have a meal by the pool just not that sort of place as everything a hike.
If you fit healthy i suppose its ok but should say not for anyone like me with walking problems as all a struggle hill wise.
Albufeira Strip used to have a nice top end all closed and run down now very dissapointing as been 4 times so a fair trek to bottom end where its all blasting music even the young saying too loud.Old town still nice but for us no more Portugal as its all very run down now.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Smokers
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

the good points were as follows / lovely clean / tidy apartment /
the bad points most of the sun beds are unsafe as they are falling apart along with a couple of parasols. myself and my husband asked for a 6am wake up call we reminded them again later in the day. to our horror no call was made to our room ,we woke up by chance an hour later causing a mad rush to the airport. most of the staff take a crying baby and older children to work with them , they are in the bar and in the pool most of the time which was quite annoying for us . it is a good 15 minutes walk to the bars etc. we didn't even see the sea so god knows how far that was. I found it was too far away. reception is closed at 11pm there are no staff at night here so in an emergency you would have problems /no pool attendant which is very dangerous . I most certainly wouldn't go back there ever again

Room Tip: the room was good
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheron h
East Kilbride, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Clean tidy apt but beds very hard so much so I woke with numb arms. No air con so rooms very warm. We had to open the windows at night but local dogs barked through the night and insects flew into room especially moscitos so we got bitten alive. Therefore sleeping was difficult. Insect repellent definitely needed. Sun loungers and parasols were ripped and tired looking. Small apt complex so pool area was quiet.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Pamela S
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I originally booked this for a girls' holiday (ages 21 and 22) but my friend pulled out so I took a male friend instead. The hotel itself is rather quiet and is mainly occupied by couples (which we didn't mind because we wanted peace and quiet). The food and drink served in the hotel itself is nice and reasonably priced. Reception are very helpful, however, do not speak the best English, but enough for tips and advice for the area.

In walking distance (about 15-20mins) you have the strip. This has a loud, younger and vibrant party side, and on the other side, more restraunts and family friendly bars and pubs. We tried the rowdy side on the first night and never returned, we preferred the quieter side as it was older music, pub quizzes and nice restraunts where we met a lot of lovely people.

You have the Old Town to visit too, which is about 10mins in a taxi and about 6/7 Euros. We spent most our nights here as the restraunts and bars are all relaxed and friendly, with a great atmosphere. Here, you will find a lot of seafood, steaks and peri peri chicken! For your average cocktail you're looking at about 6 Euros (MUCH cheaper than the rowdy side of the strip!)

The beach down the Old Town is also beautiful and spacious with lovely scenery.

We spent 10 days in Albufeira, and I would definitely go back again to this area and hotel. My only negative comments are that during the night in the hotel, there's a dark that barks til the early hours of the morning, and once it stops, the local roosters start making noise. Also, there wasn't the option of hanging a 'do not disturb' sign, so the cleaners came in every other day. Personally, that's too much for me. I'd be happy having the same bed sheets for 10 nights but that's just my opinion :)

Enjoy your stay and I do encourage exploring the Old Town. It has a lot more personality than the strip and there's lots to see and do!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lucy G
Cantanhede, Portugal
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Firstly I must say that the sat nav co-ordinates if you are driving to the apartments are spot on.
On arrival we were given a map of the area and the route to walk into town, nearest big supermarkets etc.
I really don't understand why they keep informing people its a 10 min walk ! It took me more to drive it !
If you want to be near all the nightlife and English restaurants then this is not the place to be.
I choose this apartment because of its locality ( away from the strip and for a quiet break )
Unfortunately some people don't do their homework and end up far away from the holiday they want. This is why I am assuming the young boys in the next apartment from us and the boys upstairs from us didn't do theirs.
We had loud music, doors banging and swearing outside my room door at all hours of the night.
A bollocking from me on the 2nd night soon calmed them down.

We were allocated a room in the old block, ground floor. It was spacious, clean, and had everything we needed ( room 3A ) it overlooked the private block of flats to the rear from a large terrace. Unfortunatly the bedroom was to the front overlooking the car park. So quite a bit of noise from taxis and people leaving early for return flights.
I met 3 girls around the pool who informed me that the superior rooms were lovely but they had a team of 12 students running riot along the corridors on their first night also.
A word from security and the ladies ensured no repeat of this.
Fully equipped kitchen if like me you want to cook your own breakfast but bring a cheap frying pan or buy one in the local supermarket as the ones in the apartments have seen better days with everything sticking to them thus wasting food !!

If you hire a car then there are some beautiful villages around this area where you will find charming locals and amazing local resaurants. Pick up a local map for E1 from reception.
The receptionist tells you to turn right at the end of the street to get to the strip. If like me this is not your scene the turn left. Here on the other side of the road you will find 3 restaurants.
The last one O Poente was a firm favourite of ours. Traditional Portuguese food and wine at exceptionally low prices. Homemade desserts to die for and good size portions too.
The menu is in Portuguese but the staff speak English and are very helpful. Go before 8pm though as it gets full very quick every night with locals.

There are lots of nice bars and restaurants around the area without going to the strip if that's what you want.
All in all I would recommend this for older couples and families.

I think we just had a bad week with other guests as I have read all the reviews and nobody had mentioned this.
It wouldn't put me off returning though, I would just ask for another room.

Pool area does need a bit of tlc and the sunbeds need replacing but it was nice and quiet for most of the day and no loud music being played. Snack bar is fine if you need a snack or drink but I found it expensive. There is a few inflatables around and a wee play area for the little ones.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple