“Brilliant Break”
Review of Paladim Aparthotel

Paladim Aparthotel
Ranked #18 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 4 August 2010

What can I say, brilliant hotel, brilliant hotel location, lovely people, lovely food. We had one of the best two weeks at the Paladim Aparthotel. The hotel is ideally situated between the old town (great food and beach) and the ‘strip’ (one for the English who like the English abroad experience). You must try the Cake shop and the Jeep excursion.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

Stayed at the Paladim 10th - 24th July 2010. First impressions were that it's pleasant enough, clean and mostly well maintained. Our room was spacious and well equipped and I was pleasantly surprised to find our studio had 2 proper beds. (We were expecting a sofa bed and pull out bed). As I said, the property was pleasant enough but 4 star? No way. The light on the balcony was broken and bare wires were showing, the kitchen unit doors were mismatched - I wouldn't have minded if I'd gone there expecting 2 or 3 star but, being 4 star I expected higher standards. The actual hotel grounds were pleasant and well maintained but too small to cater for the amount of guests staying there at peak times. The pool was a good size but not much space around it for sunbathing or children to play. I was surprised by the comments of a previous reveiewer who mentioned the sunbed rule, i.e if you left your sunbed to visit toilet/bar or whatever, then anyone could take the bed. In our experience, there were notices warning guests that you could only reserve beds with towels if you were actually in the pool area. The notice also claimed that the pool area is closed between 8 and 9am for cleaning and any objects, including towels would be removed if found during this time. However, the reality was rather different, most people ignored the notices and usually by 8.30 am all beds were reserved with towels although you rarely saw any people until almost lunch time. We only managed to secure a bed once in the entire fortnight we were there. We didn't mind lying on the grass but quite often the ground was damp from the sprinkler system. Most of the time we just wandered around the resort as it was too crowded in the limited grounds. Albufeira itself was a joy, especially the old town. There were lots of different types of bars and entertainment to suit everyones tastes. The beaches were beautiful. I would go back to Albufeira again but would only consider the Paladim if it was low season and at a discount price. I don't mind staying at low quality hotels as long as they are clean, safe and I know in advance what to expect but I felt rather cheated by the over rating of the Paladim.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nickybr65
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I have to agree with ( antm56 ) we to stayed here 3rd till 17th July 2010 so must have been there at the same time, we had room 203 and have to say we went to this hotel from the reviews on this site and can only gather that the staff put all the good reports up for it. I would not recomend the studios for 2 it is not a 4 star, in fact I would not even give them a star. The beds had no top cover just some old pillgo blanket on, the shower curtain was very dirty and all stuck together, we asked for a new one and had to wait three days for it as they had to buy a new one. The A C unit on the balcony was so noisy you could not have it on at night, they said the maintenance man would look at it but never did. Broken light unit on the balcony with bare wires, and the hole studio was very shabby and in need of repair. Most night we had to have a cold shower as there was no hot water and the floor of the studio although given a wash every day was black ( see picture of my slippers that were white when I got there ) The Pool area was nice enough but but if you didn't get down there before nine o'clock you didn't get a sun bed. The thing that upset me more though was the fact that was lots of groups of all male or females who did not care about any body else around the pool, they would come in from the clubs at 4 or 5 am every night running and racing about singing and shouting and the managment did nothing to stop it, on speaking to the Thomas Cook rep we found she was not intrerested and was a waste of time. I have to say that I will look long and hard at any more reports on this site before before I book another holiday as I now think some of the reports are not as true as they could be. To finish of I have to say me and the wife had nice holiday in Albufeira other than the hotel but it will be a few years if ever before we go back, I think we will go back to the resort of Tavira next year and leave Albufeira to single groups as it has gone the way of Ayia Napa or Magaluf.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1951guide
Reviewed 18 July 2010

The room we were given on arrival on Thursday (103) is right outside a 6 lane rounderbout this resulted in constant traffic noise from 6am to 3am the next morning . This resulted in us trying to sleep for 3 hours.-guess what no sleep at all!!!
Next morning Friday we went to reception to request another room but we were told they did not have any until possibly Saturday.
We asked the rep Emily if she could help– no luck there so
I asked to be moved up higher—no luck there
I asked to be moved to the rear-no luck there
The only thing she came up with was to move to another acomadation but that would cost us 500 euro Why should we be expected to pay twice for a holliday??
Friday night no sleep!!
Saturday came and guess what—we were told no other rooms available but people were coming on standby holidays and getting better rooms than us who have booked 9 months in advance.
We have had to endure 9 nights of having next to no sleep-THIS IS NOT THE HOLLIDAY WE EXPECTED AND PAID FOR WITH OUR HARD EARNED MONEY.
We could not even use the balcony for the noise from the constant traffic!
Also-
Gardeners cutting hedges and the grass with petrol powered tools wile we were trying to catch up on some sleep on sunbeds.
Speaking of sunbeads it is hotel policy that if you leave it unatended (say go to the toilet or bar for a drink) anyone can take it -even if you have your towel and bag on it !!!

Wilst we were there we had decoraters cloths on stairwells and outside on the front they used a high reach machine that constantly beeped very loud.
If you do stay make shure you get a rear pool room.
This hotel is rated as 4 star? - More like 2 And a bit.
P.S.We booked through THOMAS COOK - Never again!!!

Albufiera is fantastic - Just not this hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We have just returned from an enjoyable 10 day stay at the Hotel Paladim in Albufeira. The hotel is in a good location convenient for both the old town and the "strip" in Albufeira although if you are with the family you will want to steer well clear of the latter - think Blackpool minus the family attractions! From the front the hotel appears quite non-descript as the pool and bar etc are all to the rear. We stayed in a one bedroom appartment on the reception level and found the room and balcony to be very spacious and well equipped. There was air conditioning in the bedroom and living area which came in useful as the temperatures hit 35 degrees towards the end of our stay. The pools and subathing areas were very clean and the food in the bar was good, however there was no entertainment on in the bar throughout our stay and it was very quiet. Would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again if we returned to Albufeira.

Reviewed 7 June 2010

just back from a week stay, the comments on the hotel were all true, excellent location between the old and new town and the hotel and pool was spotless.
We had a room with a pool view and small kitchen area with fridge, hot plate & microwave grill. the room TV had 3 English Channels (BBC!,ITV & BBC NEWS )
There's a supermarket nextdoor or you can walk to a Lidi in 15 min

Would recommend this hotel

Reviewed 2 June 2010

9 adults and one 3yr old. I'd requested a cot to be in one the rooms on arrival and they didn't disappoint.. We had 4 apartments on the same booking and we were all put on the same floor - 3 of the apartments had a pool view. The rooms were spacious and clean. The location of these apartments is central - 10mins walk one way to the old town and beach and 10mins walk the other way to the new town. The hotel bar and restaurant was quiet but quaint -they'd cater for whatever you needed and if u ordered a drink they didn't have they'd make sure to have it for you next time. The reception staff were pleasant. The rooms had Air con but we didn't need it as they were so big and airy. Plenty of sunbeds at the pool but we headed to the beach most days - it was beautiful down there. Comfy sunbeds €5.00. All in all - one of the best holidays I've ever had and I will definitely revisit. Tip - book directly with them and not through an operator we saved a couple of hundred euros doing that. You don't need a tour company trying to sell you trips on your holidays - discover things for yourself!

• Stayed: May 2010