“Lovley, friendly place”
Review of Torre Velha Hotel

Torre Velha Hotel
Ranked #87 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 24 April 2012

As a single traveler this place was wonderful. Never been to Portugal but will certainly go back and most certainly stay here again.
From the start I was made to feel welcome, and looked after all week.
The steaks were divine, the drinks large and the staff were so much fun. I read on earlier posts that the place was a little dated......well it is , but in a good way. My room was cleaned every day, the balcony was large, and in all the place had a homely, cosy feel.
Firs night bill......3 glasses of wine, large T bone, and a large liqueur, 20 euro...can't say fairer than that.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank xanadu45

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed in this "hotel" for 4 days in April it was very basic bar staff nice but woman at breakfast was very rude think she might have been the owner certainly not at pleasant person, we were asked twice to pay for breakfast even though we had booked and paid for it already. Mind u it's not exactly what you would call a breakfast stale rolls, Ham and processed cheese but the coffee was the worst ever some frothy brown stuff from a machine an insult calling it coffee. We hired a car and spent most of our days away from the hotel basically using it to sleep in. The bedrooms remind u of a hospital ward. Was an experience but don't think we'll be returning to this accommodation but will definitely return to Portugal

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Just came back from Portugal,11/04/12.This hotel was not too bad considering the price paid.Had to upgrade when we got there to a sea view room though.Was mostly clean throughout, but the private en-suite could do with a renovation.I also think if they changed the sheets and towels everyday,then I would recommend going there to all.
Most importantly,the self-catering option is the best way to go, as all the people I spoke to in the hotel bar were dissapointed with the breakfast.I didnt see the grumpy guy mentioned in previous reviews,unless he only did the breakfast service.
The hotel has its own bar and restaurant,which we went to,on the first night,until I found out about the local area .We did have a few evening meals,which were pretty good.The staff were good very helpful.
Breakfast time, we discovered SCOOBYS BAR,(read my review). We went there every day,apart from one and because its owned by an ex-pat,the breakfasts were great.Many thanks to Jody,her dad and Scoobys staff, as the 2 kilos I lost before this holiday,were found again, thanks to cheap San-Miguel and the full brekkies.
In the evenings we sampled various restaurants,including JK`S,Quinta de Gale,D Amigos,all of which were walking distance to the hotel,all very good.(read my review)
We also tried Albuferia at night at Bravos, Buddys and never again O Fernandos,all of which are in the square.(read my review).
The bus stop is a 5 min walk from the hotel,which is great for the local bus and the Albuferia Tour Bus.The Tourist bus was very handy for us, as this time of year,you get 2 days for the price of 1,and you can get off, and on, when and where you like.Great if you know what time they arrive at your stop. Up until end of May they only run till 16.30,but late evenings in the summer.
The hotel is about 500m from the nearest beach,Evaristo.Its very small but if you walk about the area you will find the Gale (Gal-lay) which was AMAZING!!Plus, keep walking around the local area and you will find several beaches.
The only thing which let me down was faroairporttransfersalagarve.com.(read my review)
If you like walking,love food and want to see great beaches,on a budget, then this is the ideal hotel and ideal area,I am already thinking of a summer vacation there.
P.S,I did all my research on Trip Advisor,before going,and booked every thing my self online ,using the ratings as a guide .I wasnt dissapionted.

Room Tip: Ask for a double bed and a sea view,might be £25 extra a week but worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ballysingh
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Myself and my chief bridesmaid were lookingfor somewhere cheap, cheerful and warm to go for a few days to build up a tan and relax for a few days before my wedding. The Torre Velha was just that. We were led to believe the hotel was a 2 star, and probably was closer to to a 3 though didnt claim to be anything it wasn't.
The hotel was not located in the busy area of Albufeira, it was in a quiet relaxing location a short walk from a beautiful small beach. There was a shop down the road in a hotel complex (German i think).
There was bus stop at the top of the road where you can get on a sightseeing bus for ten euros, which you can get on and off as many times as you like, circling around.
The room we stayed in was basic though most importantly clean. The beds werent the most comfortable but lets face it, no bed is as comfy as your own! There was a small balcony, though no view from it. The breakfast was a standard continental breakfast of cereals, bread, cheese, ham etc.
We ate one evening meal in the hotel, the prices were very good, and there was fresh fish caught daily. We both enjoyed the food, it was as i expected.... not restaurant standard but good hotel food. There were several restaurants between 15 and 30 minute walk from the hotel.
The staff were mainly friendly, the breakfast man seemed grumpy.Tthe bar was pretty big with a vast selection of drinks, one of the biggest ive seen. Thats not including the whisky collection displayed..... over 3000 bottles!!!
The pool was small, but always clean and ideal for relaxing and cooling down.
My favorite thing about the holiday was the relaxing location of the hotel, though my least favorite thing was the transfer time from the airport, an hour on coach (more like 2 on arrival).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank angieHalifax
Reviewed 25 October 2011

A wonderful family run hotel which, though basic was more than adequate for my needs. It is one of those places where people go back year after year and become more than customers. Bella on reception was incredibly helpful and was happy to teach me a bit of the local language. There was a great atmosphere in the bar in the evening and the pool terrace was a wonderful place to eat of an evening. The food, especially the fresh fish in the retaurant was very good, better that both the restaurants I tried in my week away. There are a couple of very nice beaches within a few minutes' walk both of which have pleasant bars on them, excellent for lunch and dinner. It is true that the braekfast was the same every day, but there was plenty and the coffee was good and strong. My room was basic though cleaned every day with a very powerful and easy to control shower.. I certainly intend to go back in May for an early season break. Can't wait!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank David S
Reviewed 23 September 2011

My first holiday alone and this was a perfect choice. Not particuarly for the hotel but the other people i met there. The hotel was adequate the pool area quiet. Not much to do there unless you go into albufeira which was lovely by day with lots of shops and lively by night with bars and restaurants.. Only a short taxi ride away for about 10 euros, although there is a bus which goes there in the daytime and hotel has details. Staff at hotel very friendly and helpful and although I was on my own it didn't feel like that. Television in room a bit grim with only sky news in english, a film channel would have been good. Rooms clean but beds a bit firm. Rooms could do with a face lift and shower curtains not good. Would go again, cheap but very cheerful. Shops within walking distance

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Christine B
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Could not put it better than the previous review written by blythie. Extremely accurate on all accounts. Funnily enough we felt exactly the same about the guy doing breakfast on a morning very grumpy although rest of the staff lovely. Only complaint to make was that on making the booking we specifically stated we were travelling as a couple and wished for a double bed. They were unable to give us this saying that this was merely a request and that we would have to upgrade for a double (which is ridiculous to suggest that double bed in a room should be more expensive than two singles) when asked if we could do this and how much it would be we were told there would be no double beds available during our whole stay. We asked other couples that we got chatting to al if they had had the same problem and strangely enough they all had.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple