“You get what you pay for”
Review of Torre Velha Hotel

Torre Velha Hotel
Ranked #75 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Falkland, Scotland, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I chose this hotel at random. All I wanted was somewhere quiet for a week with a pool and reasonably near the sea. The description of the facilities on the website were accurate and did not disappoint. My room was fairly basic but very comfortable and I appreciated having a small fridge there but missed a kettle. Everywhere was spotlessly clean. The staff, particularly Marthe, were very friendly and helpful. I ate in the hotel most evenings and enjoyed the fresh fish option. Breakfast, however, was not to my taste, no fresh fruit, dreary bread rolls and undrinkable coffee. (coffee from the bar was excellent) Fortunately I found a small supermarket nearby and had picnics on the beach! The nearby beaches (coves really) were gorgeous with cafes that served excellent cake! My holiday was great and I would love to return to this friendly wee hotel for longer next time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Lyn H

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 29 June 2012

i write this for YOU, Albufeira is stunning it has all you want on a relaxing holiday, beautiful quiet beaches, large not so quiet, stunning views from land and sea, the people are down to earth and friendly, the food is excellent, we experanced all of this but we had to pay extra, the HOSTEL we stay at went under the name torre velha hotel we payed half board but eat out as the food was so bad the atmosphere was like the welcome and goodbye ZERO, the bed had a board under it my partner still has back pain, it was so good to get home to a good bed. i can only discribe the person who runs this HOSTEL as a skinflint, no umberellas for sunbeds, no entertainment, no noise after 1130 am or pm im not sure, i read a review about beautiful breads rooftop views RUBBISH,if i could do things different i would digg deeper into my pocket and go to a good 4star hotel

Room Tip: look before you leap
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gerryderry1
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My requirements were for a small, quiet hotel with reasonable facilities and access to the sea, without all the fuss and palaver of Albufeira itself. I was well pleased overall with what I got.
The Hotel is exactly what it purports to be. I found it perfectly comfortable and spotlessly clean. Bela, on Reception, was most helpful and WiFi is freely available there and in the Bar/Lounge areas.
Rooms are simple and a small fee upgraded me to a sea-facing, lighter room. Plenty of space, hardly 5-star but perfectly comfortably appointed, several power points and good-sized bathroom. Rentable safety box. Large Raffles-like ceiling fan and (unused) aircon.
Breakfast normal Continental, perhaps a little sparse. I had the Half Board option up my sleeve and used it with moderate success a few times, but the range offered within it wasn't mind-blowing. You won't starve certainly, but I doubt you'll be ecstatic.
Nearest beach is about 400M waay down a pretty steep road - Wrinklies like me beware, it's a long way back up again. Beaches are lovely and the bars excellent, but pricey. Local Restaurants are good too, and range from about 300M away. A car isn't vital, but unless you're fairly fit, it's a bit limiting without.

Overall, I was well pleased with the choice and would happily return again. As a value-for-money retreat, this would be hard to beat.

Room Tip: Sea view a definite bonus and worth the small extra.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank TheWrinklyNinja
Alicante
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Well, there is no doubt in the saying "You get what you pay for!" We booked this hotel as a get together week long break with our parents as we live and work in the Costa Blanca, Spain. Our parents live in the UK. We couldn´t wait to leave and head off home by the end of the holiday. The hotel as mentioned in the reviews was basic, too basic for our liking. No atmosphere or ambience to make us want to spend time in the hotel apart from making up, showering, sleeping etc. We went middle two weeks of may to be told that the entertainment would be next month if they were to be granted the license. We therefore looked for excitement and things to do outside of the hotel. Locally though this was a problem for this time of year as bars shut very early.

There was no umbrellas available for the beds in the very hot sun when wanting to relax around the pool, which may I say is very shallow (2.5 metres in depth!). No aircon or fans in the restaurant for the evening meal, which made it uncomfortable for us as it was a very warm evening. We had to dine outside by the pool, which may I say was nice albeit the table was smaller than the one in the restaurant. The staff, Helio and Marta were excellent and couldn´t do enough for us but these guys need to improve with their waiting on tables skills. Why not employ one or two qualified waiters/waitresses? The food was very nice (didn´t bother with the breakfast) for the one evening we dined there.

What annoyed us at one point, was when we wanted coffee by the pool and it was between 10 & 11am when we were told breakfast was over and we had to wait for the bar to open at 11am. If this is classed as an hotel then they should be more flexible.

One day we decided to have a game of pool, but this turned out to be expensive - 5 euros per hour. This was monitored by a machine and for just over an hour it cost us 6 euros. From then on in we went to Scooby´s down the road which charged 1 euro a game. This was more enjoyable as you weren´t clock watching as the euros clocked up.

On the plus side, if the above doesn´t bother you, we thought the rooms were very clean (cleaned every day) and we had three lots of clean towels in the one week, albeit the second supply were ´paper thin´. The shower was excellent and of three things that needed looking into, they were sorted straight away.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool as the others overlook roofs and the terrace was very small. We did however hav...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank eatoutdude
Leigh-on-Sea
Reviewed 29 April 2012

A Lovely place to stay, hotel staff were friendly and helpful, Rooms were clean if a little basic but that is to be expected for the price.
Food at the hotel is good too and very reasonably priced.
Hire a car as this is the best way to get around and probably cheaper than using taxis, and you get to see a whole lot more.
Local beaches are a short walk away and there is a supermarket nearby.
there is a fish restaurant called Everisto (on Evarito beach) lovely food but pricey.
The beaches here are among the best in the world beautiful and unspoilt.
Plenty of places to eat and Albufeira town is bustling with bars and restaurants.
the hotel is located near Castello beach in a suburb of Albufeira and the next town is Gal'e where the best beaches are.
The Hotel owner has the most bizarre collection of wine and whisky I have ever seen, fascinating.
All in all great value for money, and I recommend it for a short break.

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade to a double room they have sea views. Take a ride on the open top tourist bus it'...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Loveabreak1954
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

As a single traveler this place was wonderful. Never been to Portugal but will certainly go back and most certainly stay here again.
From the start I was made to feel welcome, and looked after all week.
The steaks were divine, the drinks large and the staff were so much fun. I read on earlier posts that the place was a little dated......well it is , but in a good way. My room was cleaned every day, the balcony was large, and in all the place had a homely, cosy feel.
Firs night bill......3 glasses of wine, large T bone, and a large liqueur, 20 euro...can't say fairer than that.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank xanadu45
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed in this "hotel" for 4 days in April it was very basic bar staff nice but woman at breakfast was very rude think she might have been the owner certainly not at pleasant person, we were asked twice to pay for breakfast even though we had booked and paid for it already. Mind u it's not exactly what you would call a breakfast stale rolls, Ham and processed cheese but the coffee was the worst ever some frothy brown stuff from a machine an insult calling it coffee. We hired a car and spent most of our days away from the hotel basically using it to sleep in. The bedrooms remind u of a hospital ward. Was an experience but don't think we'll be returning to this accommodation but will definitely return to Portugal

• Stayed April 2012