“Great Holiday”

Ranked #77 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Scotland
“Great Holiday”
Reviewed 13 September 2008

The hotel was basic but clean , the staff were very friendly. Food was fair breakfast was a bit repetitive 'cheese n ham' or ham n cheese'. It could be doing with some umbrellas at the pool sunbeds and a few more sunbeds. But overall we had a agreat holiday.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Norfolk
Reviewed 9 July 2008

I booked into this hotel with my husband and two adult children, expecting a quiet hotel but with an a la carte menu for the meals, with access to night clubs/ bars for the children being a short distance away.
The hotel was next to a building site that started work at 07:30 every morning, very nosily.at night it sounded like the room above were rearranging the furniture all night and doors were constantly banging shut as they had faulty locks.It was very windy. The safe in the room was broken and unusable. There were signs everywhere warning you not to eat in your rooms or bring any food into the hotel from outside.But there were no facilities to eat in the hotel betwe en 15:00 and 18:00 hours. when we arrived for dinner we were told that it was a that it was one starter a choice of two main courses and one dessert or fresh fruit, not the a la carte they had advertised. Reception would close for most of the day and the main door was locked. a phone call for a taxi costs 1 euro, so its cheaper to use your english mobile, if you can get them to give you the number??
It took a lot of effort to engage the staff as there were so few of them and they were overworked, they tried to be helpful and friendly but just did not have the time to succeed. The rooms were kept clean with towels and sheets changed regularly, the showers were brilliant.The nearest night life was a lot further away than we expected so my teenage children found it hard to find things to do at night. The TV was supposed to have English channels, but the satellite box was faulty (according to the staff it had been so for over a month)and they finally managed to get BBC1 on our third night there, although they were getting other Sky channels in the bar, these were always tunned to music or sport. The internet access was limited to one pc in the hotel and we could not use the advertised access on our laptop, we never recieved an adequate explantion as to why. I was extremely dissappointed with this hotel it did not live up to the advertisments my travel quoted when I booked it.
It is very basic with a limited menu and we were repeatedly told that things on the menus or in the bar had run out and they were waiting for fresh stock. the owners do not appear to care about there guests so long as they get there money.There is No entertainment, but the biggest problem was the lack of staff and the noise from the building site.I shall not be staying there again

• Liked — It was kept clean
  • Disliked — Not enough staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Somerset
Reviewed 14 June 2008

I thoroughly agree with previous review by LondonLoneTraveller. My husband and I stayed four nights at the Torre Velha and returned home thoroughly relaxed. I have to say, I was almost put off by some previous reviews but then I was not expecting a five star luxury hotel! The staff are extremely helpful and cheerful, rooms clean, plenty of hot water. The only minus point was uncomfortable pillows and husband's mattress had a plastic cover which rustled all night! We had half board so ate in the restaurant in the evening and the food was very good. There are some local restaurants within walking distance which we tried for lunches and always enjoyed our meals. The local beaches, within walking distance but uphill on the way back, were beautiful and clean. Obviously, don't choose this hotel if you are looking for a Benidorm type holiday - better to stay in Albufeira itself.
Fellow guests were friendly and one described the hotel as "home from home".
If check out is long before your departure time there is a large shower room off the ground floor lounge in which you can freshen up before leaving - very helpful.
All in all, if you need a really relaxing time in an economically priced small non-high rise hotel in a quiet area, I would definitely recommend the Torre Velha and we plan to return this autumn.
Jan, Somerset

• Liked — Quiet
  • Disliked — blaring tv in bar
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Selby, North Yorkshire
Reviewed 13 June 2008

My wife & I have just returned from a one week stay at this 36 bedroomed hotel. The rooms are basic but very clean.
The pool is also very clean but the sunbathing area could be improved by the addition of more sun loungers with adjacent parasols. We were told that this situation would improve as the season progressed.
The restaurant serves good evening meals but breakfasts are a little limited, although the fresh rolls, ham, cheese & preserves plus a rather weak orange juice suited us just fine. Snacks are available throughout the day.
A good sized bar area includes 3 TV's plus a corner for live music, although the latter was not available during our stay.
All the staff, from room maids to bar/restaurant staff were very friendly.
The hotel is located in a quiet area with 6/7 bars/restaurants within a 5 minute walk. These range from traditional to Italian & Indian.(Try the "O Amigo" just around the corner from the hotel - excellent !)
Three small sandy beaches are within a 10/15 minute walk although the return could be a problem for anyone with walking difficulties as the road/track is uphill all the way.
If you want a nice quiet holiday this is the place for you.

• Liked — Simple quiet hotel with friendly staff
  • Disliked — Lack of available sunloungers with an adjacent parasol
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 25 April 2008

Torre Velha is a simple hotel, great value for money. It's in a beautiful location, a couple mins (walking) from several natural beaches, by a natural reserve, and it has the friendliest staff ever. If you don't mind the aged decor and not having much around in the neighbourhood, it's the best place. It's also as clean as an old place can be - and I am picky about cleanliness. The restaurant was great when I ate there, but I hear not consistently good. Enough places are around, though, that for a week you can walk and eat in different places. (During the 2nd week you'd be eating at the same places twice, unless you went to Albufeira, the local Benidorm, abt 5 km away, a 45 min walk or about 8e by taxi.) Even the other guests were friendlier than you find in most hotels, and because it is quite secluded, you actually meet them. Construction was going on on one side of the building in Apr 2008, but surprisingly it wasn't too noisy. I recommend this to anybody who is not looking for a modern tower hotel in the middle of buzz!

Stayed April 2008
Ireland
Reviewed 11 September 2007

My friend and I booked a very last minute trip to the Torre Velha hotel. First impressions were not great, hotel is in need of modernisation, and the staff there are not the most helpful. On several occasions we asked for a taxi to be called- after one attempt they said the line was busy and there was nothing else they could do. On one occasion it took us over an hour to get a taxi into the town. As for the location- the hotel is in the Gale area of Albufeira, which is a good bit out and DEFINATELY NOT within walking distance to main town. The beach (5 minutes walk from hotel) is beautiful, it really made our holiday. We had an excellent time in Portugal, I would definately reccommend anyone to go on holiday to Albufeira, however when I return it will be to a hotel within the old town area.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kris85
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 July 2007

My boyfriend and I (21 & 20) have just returned from a fabulous holiday staying at the Torre Velha. After reading some of the reviews I have to admit I was a little concerned about the hotel but when we arrived I was pleasantly surprised and realised that there was no need to worry.
The staff at the hotel are some of the most friendly people I have ever met and will go out of there way to do anything for you. I cannot fault one member of staff in anyway; they made us feel very welcome and helped us out in every way.
The rooms are very clean and although they are basic they were perfect for us. (Ignore the comments about there only being single beds in the rooms, we asked for a double bed when we booked and that’s what we got.)
The pool area is beautiful and was very quiet whilst we were there which was lovely and meant we had to pool to ourselves practically every day!! Although the pool is only 1.2m deep it is perfect to help you cool down in the boiling hot weather.
The beach is only 5 minutes down the road and is really pretty. There is a bar on the beach side where you can get drinks and food to take on the beach or eat in the bar.
There is a cash machine and a small supermarket a couple of minutes down the road at the Hapimag hotel which is open to anyone.
The food in the Torre Velha is gorgeous, with a wide range of meals for very cheap prices.
Although we were booked in under bed and breakfast we never actually made breakfast! From what we heard the breakfast was basic but after reading reviews for other hotels in the Algarve this seems to be the case throughout the area.
If you fancy something a bit more substantial then we would definitely recommend Scooby’s pool bar which is about 5 minutes walk away from the hotel. You can get a full English and plenty of other meals and snacks that are all a reasonable price. You can also use their pool and sun beds - and play krazy-golf!!
The hotel is in a quiet location and although I wouldn’t advice it for families it is absolutely perfect for couples or anyone else who wants a place to take it easy and not be surrounded by noise 24/7.
At night you can get a taxi either to the Old Town, where there are some amazing restaurants and really trendy bars, or to the Strip where there are also restaurants but is more popular with big groups and in a my opinion a little bit like Blackpool but warmer! We preferred the Old Town and would recommend the Bravissimo Steak House and the Alibaba Chinese, although every meal we had whilst in Albufeira was fantastic…and cheap!! Taxis to and from the Old town cost about 6 euros each way but it is definitely worth the money.
It can sometimes be difficult to get a taxi both to and from the hotel, so I would advise you to speak to the hotel staff about the most appropriate times and also to the local taxi drivers who are all really friendly.
The hotel serves food until 10.30pm and the bar is open daily from 11.00am until 1.00am and you can get pretty much any drink you want including cocktails. Pints of 6.2% lager are only 2.50 euros!!
There is no real entertainment in the hotel, but they do have karaoke on a few nights a week and bingo…which may sound a bit boring but after a few drinks is a proper laugh and all the staff get involved.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to couples, small groups or people travelling on their own. We had a brilliant time and are planning on going back next year, so that just shows how impressed we were. If you have any questions about the hotel or the area message me and I will be happy to help.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple