“Lovely place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #72 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Lovely place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here from 4th July - 11th July on a HB Basis. Although I had read the reviews before booking the accommodation I came with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised. As a solo traveller and this being my maiden voyage so to speak this was my reasoning behind choosing the hotel. In my opinion I got it spot on..The staff were amazing and made me feel safe and welcome. The rooms were basic yes I agree but comfortable and clean. The food was a little repetitive it's true and when I return again which I have every intention of doing, then I wouldn't go HB. Like other reviews the pizza place across the road was very good although they only serve limited snacks during the daytime and the full menu in the evenings. ..caught me out as I thought I would have a meal there before my evening flight but only got an omelette. .The beaches are beautiful to visit and there are beach restaurants all though the one at Castillo beach was very pricey and not very good. I had the half roast piri piri chicken and it was more like a sparrow. There is an English pool bar called Scoobys which is on the top road..its ok if you are desperate for a taste of home. .food is reasonable and good. The local bus service is good costing 2.50euro to get to town or a taxis costs approx 8-10 euro. I booked a trip on the seafaris catamaran to visit the caves and a beach BBQ. I thought it was a long day and we had to wait almost 2 hours on the beach as the passengers were ferried across from the boat before they served the food..It wasn't really what I thought it would be and the visit around the caves was disappointing. .but you live and learn. On the whole I thoroughly enjoyed myself and got exactly what I wanted out of the holiday which was to feel safe..have some sunshine and a nice relaxing time. Thank you Torre Velha..you gave me that.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank madcatmaxine

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We checked in to this lovely little hotel in the evening, and it was all we hoped for. If you are looking for noisy nightlife, load discos dont bother coming here you are well catered for elsewhere. The one reservation is the beds are a bit basic, no a lot basic. It is an old fashioned Portugal style hotel. I spend a lot of time in bland hotel chains, this isnt. The staff are all lovely and very helpful. We ate in the Hotel on a couple of occasions and the food was very good. The breakfast however is very basic. No problem as around the hotel are a number of breakfast options.
Two beaches within walking distance, both with wonderful restaurants, one quiet expensive but hey, your on holiday.
We will be back very soon.

Room Tip: Pay extra get a good room....
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank wickywoo123
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived late on a Monday night and the reception stayed open just for us . I didn't know what to expect from reading the mixed reviews but when we arrived , I noticed Torre Velha is not very good for first impressions.
When we were welcomed at 1 am by Marta, the lovely manager we went straight to our room which was small but very clean. We'd a mini fridge and a ceiling fan in the room and a small balcony over looking another building. Every morning we would go to the supermarket about 3 mjnite walk from the hotel to get breakfast . Beside the supermarket there is an ATM which was convenient as not many places take card.
The pool area , where we spent most days, was quiet friendly and clean. Most the people staying were young couples too. We found a small hidden beach which was quiet and beautiful but very hard to get to. But there is 2 beaches close to the hotel.
We absolutely loved the pizzeria " the spot" across from the hotel . The food is delicious. There is not much to do in the area of the hotel. Taxis to albuferia are E10 each way so it is a bit out of the way .
All in all we both had a wonderful time here. The staff were great. Bella on reception helped us book a boat trip very last minute and was helpful throughout our stay. Marta is so nice and friendly and Maria is lovely , makes a great cocktail! All very hard workers! We would come back again for another quiet relaxing holiday :)

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank evacregan
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

This was our third time here my husband and I and won't be the last. Yes it's basic but spotless and the staff amazing. It's quiet position is great for unwinding and relaxing or a short taxi ride to the hustle of albufeira if that's what you want. There are some great resturants nearby but the food in the hotel is hard to go past 't-bone steaks' a must. With 4 amazing beaches within walking distance what more do you want (although if you have walking difficulties as all down hill and harder walking back up) might be a problem. Roll on next summer.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Joannemoore5
Ramsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Have returned after spending five days at this hotel on a short break with my daughter.
the rooms were basic but very clean, the bathroom looked dated however the shower was great, ok there were no plugs in the sink or bath but we managed. This hotel is in a quiet resort in the region of Albufeira but the main town is a short taxi ride away, we found the town too commercial and busy and preferred our quiet resort.
There were four beaches close by but only managed to visit two and we had an amazing meal at the fish restaurant Evarista.We also found a few other bars with excellent food within a short walk. The staff were great especially Marta and Maria who made us very welcome who spoke very good English. This isn't a 4 star hotel so don't expect one

Room Tip: If you have a problem ask the staff
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Chris D
Tavistock, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Room. Arrived to find bathroom door did nor shut--it had warped because damp was coming into the open "hole" next to it which had a curtain across. This was your wardrobe with of course some damp in one corner. The 3 drawers stank and when the bottom drawer was removed underneath was thick with dust. The curtains across the balcony doors where filthy along the bottom and up the side, The bathroom had an alarm fitted, unfortunately the fitting was hanging out of the wall on its wires. There was no plug in the bath or wash hand basin so not able to take a bath or fill the hand basin. According to the staff no rooms had plugs
Food. If you like cereal, roll, bread,ham and cheese every morning--fine. We were half board. There was no evening menu. You were told the one starter and a choice of 2 main courses. This
was rotated on a three day basis. Starter was soup. The next night garlic bread followed
by spiced carrots. Spaghetti was popular. One night with a cream sauce the next with mushrooms The toaster came out of the ark. It did two slices. Not pop-up. You switched it on then had to lower each side. Put in the 2 slices and manually close it. Watch carefully then lower the sides again to turn the hot bread to brown the other side being careful not to get burnt in the process. After breakfast the toaster was whisked away so no chance of a photo.
The small pool had loungers but no parasols to go with them
I will never know how this place got 3 stars. I am 80 and have stayed all over the world. No way would I stay here again. No air con but plenty of surveillance cameras

Room Tip: Do not go half board. I think there is one room upgrade but I did not see these rooms. No air con o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank routledge421
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed there for 2 nights. I still don't get why in the heck every website advertise this hotel as being in Albufeira ??? It was a pain in the -bip- to find, and it actually was in Galé, a lost village a short drive from Albufeira. You have to know that there is no street name either in Albufeira or in Galé. We bought a map but who cares when you can't find signs... You have to get a GPS. The lady at the counter told us everyone gets losts going there. The staff is not nice and not helpfull. It just seemed like they didn,t give a damn about us. They were either not there of not looking at us all all. The room was ulgly, the bathroom even worst (brown walls and pink toilet...) small room, no air condition. There was a fan on the ceiling, when we started it, tons of dust fell on the bed (...). The bed was unconfortable and you could only get the wifi internet in front of the counter. There is nothing much interesting around, you have to get the car to get to restaurants or grocery store. It was pretty boring... The only interesting thing was the view you get from the beach in the morning that is about 800 meters walk from the hotel. I would not go there again. Bad bad bad.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple