“Good for what you pay”

Ranked #47 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good for what you pay”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for the last week in Sept/ first week Oct 2012 as a solo traveler, exploring the Algarve for the first time.I don't normally go on ‘beach holidays’ and usually spend my time on mountains.

Overall, I think the hotel is good value for money. I would definitely go back. This is not a five star hotel but you are staying for a week for the price of one night at some other places.

Everything depends on your personal circumstances and what you are looking for in the holiday. This hotel is not situated in the middle of the town (this is why I choose it). Therefore, there is a walk to get the amenities or you need to hire a car or use a taxi to go further in the evening.

For the first 7 days I hired a car and looked round the Algarve and for the next 7 days I was on foot.

The staff were friendly and many spoke English. I had no problem with my room even though I arrived very late at night.

I stayed in a studio apartment. For 1 person it was good. For 2 people it would have still been fine. For 3 people, it would have been a squeeze. The third bed is a pullout type from under one of the two single beds in the room. I did not notice that the bed was hard and slept without problems. I am 5'11" and the beds were long enough with room to spare.

The flats are clean and have a good sized balcony. The walls are quite thin so if you have quiet, friendly neighbours (which I did) it is not a problem. If the neighbours had been noisy then it could have been different.

There is a fridge and two rings on which to cook. For pasta or rice dishes this is more than adequate for one or two people. Lots of plates and pans were provided. There is a TV with Sky news in English. I used a laptop to play English language DVDs.

The kettle is the type that boils on the electric ring. For making tea / coffee in the morning, I put the kettle on the stove, went for a wash and it was ready. No hardship really.

There are two pools and a bar. They seemed fine. However, I did not use any of these as the hotel was used as a base to explore the local area. I did not meet anyone else in the hotel apart from my neighbours and the staff as I just used it as a base to explore. There were many people who seemed happy to relax around the pool, so it can't have been too bad.

There is a 5 min walk to the local town from the end of the hotel complex. [There is a 250m stretch without a footpath - if I had had small children with me this could have been a bit of a worry a night. For me as a single traveler, there was no issue]. The local town had two good supermarkets and several restaurants. As I cooked for myself in the evening, I only used the supermarkets. They were OK and I found everything I needed.

There is a 15-20 minute walk to both Olhos de Agua and the beach. There are more restaurants there. There is also a free minibus service to the beach. I did not use this as I preferred to walk. Also, there is a nice beach walk to Vilamoura. It took about 80 minutes along the beach. Got very nice views of sunset walking back as the cliffs turn red. There are beach bars along the way. I always went at low tide, not sure how far up the beach the water gets at high tide.

Also there was a good bus service to Albufeira, Vilamoura, Faro and Santa Eulalia during the week, Sat & Sun having a reduced service. It is around 4.50 Euro to Faro and 2 Euro to Albuferia. Note that the bus from Faro does not actually leave from inside the bus station, it leaves from the road outside. This caught me out as the electronic display board is inside the bus station and I was waiting for a stand number to appear for the bus.

This hotel is right on the edge of the countryside, so there are sounds of dogs (and I think that I heard a donkey in the distance). I'm not sure if they are from the farm, neighbours houses or the 'dog pound' (I didn't see it if it were there). Was I aware of them in the background? - yes. Did they bother me? - no. I was out all day and used the hotel to cook, wash and sleep in.

There are mosquitoes which will give a bite during the night. However, a scented candle on the balcony got rid of them when I was out there. In the apartment, a cheap electronic mosquito killer finished them off easily. I didn't use insect repellent during the day and there were no bites.

Overall, I thought it was good. It was clean, the staff were friendly and it was reasonably priced. I would go back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank SunsetAboveTheClouds

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
sheffield
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Arrived about 11.30pm reception was closed had to go into bar for keys staff were friendly enough told us where our apartment was. The next day we went for a wander only to find 2 supermarkets and a few gift shops which are closed on sundays, we walked down to the beach which was very nice about 25min walk. Apartments are nice enough but quite dated hardly any plug sockets. Very big balconys though. The bar area is very small not big enough for the complex in all honesty and closes at midnight. Cannot comment on pool as we never used it we walked to the beach daily although there is a free bus which you have to book the day before. There are a few restaurants up the road and we would recommend the chinese great service and very friendly. I have been to portugal before but not these apartments and would not go back they are out in the middle of nowhere no good for anyone with poor mobility.

1 Thank SheffieldTilly
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012

After returning from our holiday abroad in Vale De Carros apartments Portugal we will definitely be making a second visit. It was like a home away from home with very friendly and welcoming staff. Our apartment was clean, tidy and well kept with everything you could need right there to hand and house keeping every other day.The owner of our bar/resort Renato alway greeted you with a friendly smile and happy hello. The bars, restaurants and beaches were within walking distance with even more to chose from if you got a short taxi ride into Albufeira. When the 10days were up we didn't want to leave with the beautiful weather making it a perfect holiday.

newry
Reviewed 26 September 2012

my partner and I booked this holiday on a whim after reading some really good reviews, but when we arrived late at night we couldn't help but notice we where in the middle of nowhere. when we woke up the next morning we wandered around but there were only two supermarkets, a tobacconist, a few souvenir shops and a handfull of restaurants most of which looked very dirty!! we ate in a lagosteira restaurant which was nice and cheapish. whilst staying at the apartments we were kept awake most nights with neighbours banging doors, dropping keys etc the walls are very thin and beds highly uncomfortable. other noises included a rooster which went on all day and night and dogs barking from a kennel across the road. the bar served food and drink at reasonable prices but any time my partner and i went in we felt very uncomfortable with people (who are mainly english) staring at us and pointing at me because i was pregnant! we had 2 irish girls (who where sisters) beside us who paid over 400euro to go home a week earlier as they had enough at people staring at them and making remarks about them being lesbians they also had enough of the noisy neighbours in the downstairs apartments. we had a studio apartment which are really small and not much room in them..
to sum up this holiday we could not wait to get home and we will definatly not be returning again!!!!

3 Thank Laura Q
pontefract
Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

I am due to leave vale de carros this week after an enjoyable fortnight. The hotel is situated in a quiet location but, as it advertises, there are several beaches within walking distance..yes, they're around 20 mins walk away but you're on your holidays..you surely have the time !!! There are a few restaurants and bars a 5 min walk away...hugos is highly recommended for tapas and tiffanys tandoori restaurant in nearby olhos d'agua was fantastic. The accommodation itself is traditional, we had a one bed apartment which was pretty basic but had everything we needed, we took a kettle from home for a tenner so didn't need to hire anything. The apartments are spotless, the grounds are immaculate, the pool area cleaned every morning..I find it difficult to believe anyone would need to write a review sat on the grass due to a lack of loungers as we had an apartment looking out onto the pool and I only saw one elderly gent in the whole of the two weeks who put his towel down..there were loungers free all day every day. In addition, the day the previous reviewer said he couldn't find a lounger it was heavy rain all morning, the sun came out after lunch and I got a lounger around 2 !?! In any case, take towels off the beds if there's no one on them..don't do nothing at the time and moan about it later !! We visited vilamoura .. amazing cocktails at the figo decklounge and great food at a neighbouring bar but not cheap at 100 euros for the two of us! We visited zoomarine twice .. our little boy loved it that much !!,my only gripe about the whole place was the maids who were miserable and came into our room even when we put the chain on. We did get some noise from the apartments upstairs but on the whole we got excellent value for money. If you want mod cons, amazing food, 5* luxury in a location that has every amenity then I would suggest you pay the pricetag and look elsewhere...if you want traditional style accommodation, a taxi ride to vilamoura or the old town, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank 78LA
Portsmouth
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Good side,
Apartments very clean and roomy,
Bad side
Rather a long walk to reception
10 minutes walk to nearest resturaunts.
2 beaches nearby about 30 minutes walk
free shuttle to the wrong one.
usual story only one english TV channel.
Not used to paying for WiFi, and only available near reception.
definately need a hire car, rental five minutes walk away.
Not uploading any photo's as last time I did this, other peoples were added to mine and were rubbish.

Room Tip: Ask for studios or apartments overlooking the quiet pool not the bar pool.