“not good for oldies”
Review of Vilanova Resort

Vilanova Resort
Ranked #131 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 24 October 2013

having taken my 80 yearold farther he enjoyed the resort and the closeness to the strip plenty of bars and shops the problem was the beds. to low to hard to lumpy. no hand rails on steps in to apartment block.the apartments are very worn and not very well equiped. need refurbing urgently holes in walls andlots of mold and dirt ingrained on walls and floor will not be going back

2  Thank meyglen
Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)

Reviewed 23 October 2013

stayed here for 3 nights, greeted with a grumpy receptionist who insisted on a print out of the reservation ( first time anywhere i've seen this). She made me buy a wifi card to use on my phone to send her the email, strange!
Stayed in a 3 bed 'villa'. It was like stepping back into the early 80's. Linen not very clean. Our patio was overgrown and none of the doors/ windows could lock properly and the place could easily have been broken into should any thief have chosen too!
downstairs WC had the mechanics of it rotted away and the whole place felt old grubby and dirty!
Had an early flight at 7am so we were picked up at 5am. I went to the '24hr reception', which of course was closed. After knocking on the door an extremely grumpy man came to the door, snapped the key out of my hand and closed the door without saying a word!
Please only ever stay here with a group or on a stag, I would never consider bringing my family here, spend the extra few quid and stay somewhere else.

On the upside, great big pool area and literally on the strip!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dar9
Reviewed 23 October 2013

HAVING JUST RETURNED YESTERDAY FROM THIS DISGUSTING HOTEL/RESORT. I Would Like To Seriously WARN People NOT To Book. Place is in serious need of shutting down. Staff are miserable, No clean towel's/sheet's. Cockroaches in filthy pool. Bird poo all round pool side, left there by lazy staff. No kettle, Yellow dated microwave and cooker that you wouldn't touch. Air con was a fan. Bed consisted of a paper thin mattress on a concrete raised small slab off the floor. Place full of lager lout's. Couldn't even get a coffee in the pool bar as they stopped serving it at 5pm.. Hotel corridors stunk and where dark and drab. Lift was disgusting and graffitti is everywhere in the resort. THE SO CALLED ''STRIP''.......WHERE DO I START HERE? ONE WORD ''SCUM''!! AND TO THINK MY BOYFRIEND OF 10YRS TOOK ME HERE FOR MY 50TH. I THINK IT'S SAFE TO SAY IF THAT'S ALL I'M WORTH THEN HE IS NOW MY EX!! AND HE READ THESE REVIEW'S BEFORE HE BOOKED IT TOO. DO NOT GO NEAR THIS AWFUL PLACE UNLESS YOUR USED TO THIS SORT OF THING. I've just spent a night in hospital cause of my stomach after this dirty disgusting place!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karen F
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Going to keep this very simple - this hotel is pretty awful BUT...it's only awful if you are the person who should be digging deeper in your pockets and not grabbing the cheapest deal going or thinking that young people should be muzzled and not be allowed to have fun and make a bit of noise. I was part of a stag party of 12 and for us it was perfect, if I had brought my wife here for a romantic break, she would have walked out and instantly divorced me

Stay here if you are with a group of friends and are under 35, dont stay here if you are not

Always like to finish on a positive note, the swimming pool was fantastic

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BenWestbrook7
Reviewed 22 October 2013

ok we went in october so not really busy, had family with us and two young babys, room was ok not brill but good enough its really good for what you pay. few roudy youngens ther but not over the top worse in uk im sure, i think a few of you lot need to sample turkey if you think this hotel is bad. stop its good for what you pay, can give only good marks for albufiera good food all round except one place called china imperial at end of strip chinese food really disgusting do not eat there you will be ill, best place i think is fat cats if you like a deacent breakfast and a good pint for the right money, also the sizzing stone has gone down hill well overpriced. this holiday place is cheaper than holidaying in the uk and is well worth it so just go and enjoy it and stop moaning

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank chrissarah1
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and I are in our early 60's and booked 2 weeks at the Vilanova in early October. We read the reviews and thought we had made a huge mistake - not so. Admittedly it is not everyone's cup of tea but we had a thoroughly good time for the whole of the time we were there. On arrival, Alicia the receptionist treated us wonderfully and upgraded us from a studio to a one bedroomed apartment which was ideal for us. We had a lovely sunny balcony and the weather to match. The whole resort complex could do with some refurbishment and painting but overall not too bad. The use of ear plugs is essential if you want a good night's sleep as the music from The Strip can be heard well into the early hours, but if you use them then there is no problem. Perhaps not the best place for oldies like us but if you are young and want a good time then this is the place for you. The local beach is superb and the old town of Albufeira is easily accessible by the local "toy" train costing 4 euros return and it runs every 20 mins well into the evening - well worth a visit. We had maid service every day we were there with lovely white towels and sheets provided. English tv channels, BBC1, BBC2, ITV and ITV4 on the tv so not bad eh. Try the Vilanova and I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We were in Bloco 3 and it was ideal but I would try to avoid Bloco 4/5 as this is right over The Str...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ELIZABETH H
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 7 days in October with 2 of my friends all females aged 24/25.
This hotel is definitely no more that 3*.
The hotel is great for stag/hen parties or if you want a shorter break and your plan is really to just go out and party.
We wanted both to go out at nighttime for meals/drinks/bars/clubs etc but we also wanted a relaxing break too which this hotel is definitely not for.

Location: the location of vilanova is bang in the strip of bars and restaurants, which is good if that's what you want to go out every night etc... But it is very loud at night time so I would definitely not recommend this hot for families or for a relaxing or romantic break.
The beach is a 10 minute walk down the strip and down a steep hill. The beach here is absolutely stunning! We didn't bother with the hotel pool at all, we went to the beach every day. The beach is very clean and there are lots of water sports you can do, massage services, food/drink places, sunbeds etcetc. We preferred this beach to the beach in old town. We did not use the hotel pool at all so I can't really comment on it however it is very big and has diving boards!

The room:
The 3 of us stayed in an apartment that slept 4. We were given fresh towels/toilet rolls etc every 2 days.
In general the room was clean.
A lot of thins in our room were broken- a light switch didn't work, a light fixing was about to fall off the wall in the bedroom, a chair back was broken... A lot of work definitely needs to be done in this hotel!
Also there were no lights at all on the balcony which is a shame because we liked to have a few drinks before going out at night time and would liked to have sat on the balcony which we have done on previous holidays but there was no light whatsoever so we could not do this here.
The beds are not the most comfortable, but for as week not too bad.
The bathroom was ok, a bit dated but it was clean which is the main thing. The only problem being a very short supply of hot water.

All in all we did enjoy our stay here, there were just a few things that could be improved. Basically you get what you pay for...

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends