“Basic and dated”
Review of Vilanova Resort

Vilanova Resort
Ranked #134 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Not for couples over a certain age or families with kids as can be very rowdy with groups of all males or females, stayed in a studio on Block 4 ( not good )- The noise from people coming and going can be a bit annoying, we went with Jet 2 and for the price we paid I would expect more. Thankfully the train ride to the old town showed us that next time we will stay away from " THE STRIP" and go to the Old Town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Vilanova Resort

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were apprehensive before we arrived at this hotel after reading the reviews but was pleasantly surprised by some aspects of the resort. We stayed in a studio which was quite large and had a well equipped kitchen (big fridge, oven and microwave) but the beds are mattresses on concrete slabs on the floor.. Still comfortable though. The balcony was okay to sit out on and we had a pool view. However, the balcony was very shabby and in desperate need of a good clean and a lick of paint. The hotel did have some loud groups in it and we were awoken a few times during the week, nothing too severe but we were on the third floor, I imagine it's much worse on the ground floor. These groups often went to the pool bar in the day and would be singing/dancing/diving into the pool so we didn't spend much time there which was a shame as it looked like a large nice pool.

The resort is in a good location, perfect if you are going to spend a lot of time on the strip. We were not asked for any money on arrival, apart from for the safe which we asked to rent. One day our balcony lock stopped working and it took the hotel over a day to repair this which was not ideal, especially after seeing reviews on here about robberies. All in all, the resort offers budget accommodation which is well located. You get what you pay for and this hotel was very cheap considering we visited in the school holidays.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Victoria K
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have just returned from a weeks holiday in May 2014, from this hotel, and what a shock it was. I am a well travelled retired male but this hotel is the worst place I have ever been to without exception. First was reception, they were like prison guards, as soon as we gave our names we were informed that we had to pay100 euros each for the room, 25 euros for the safe and 15 euros each for the room key. This made a total of 140 euros each member of the group had to pay, That was before we saw the rooms. They also wanted every ones credit cards handed over, these were not given. I was given room 1207, The mattress was placed on a concrete platform, which was not expected, the tv was so high on the wall it touched the ceiling. This was supposed to be a self catering holiday, but I received no kettle for 4 days, and the microwave didn't work. The main pool was ok but the children's pool was full of paper and plastics cups and general rubbish. Each day as I left the hotel I handed my room key to reception for safe keeping, but on 2 days one member of reception said I had not left my key so I would lose my 100 euros, l returned later and another member of staff got my key straight away. As I said this happened to me twice, I thought is this a scam or just bad public relations.Please be aware that this could happen to anyone. People outside this hotel said it was commonly called Stalag 13. In my opinion this hotel is not the place for children or anyone wanting a relaxing holiday, as the hotel s right on the strip and it was noisy from people coming and going all hours of the day and night. Doors were banging, people shouting, and people fighting all around. What did save this holiday was it was only for 1 week and the short journey to the old town, which was stunning. It had a great beach and lots of friendly bars and lovely restaurants. I shall be back to Albuferia but will stay in a nice friendly hotel and NOT VILLA NOVA.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel .
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank John N
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I spent 3 nights in May2014 with my wife and son. The room was large and spacious and very reasonable but I would possibly have to agree with nearly every other review 'a bit dated' the pool is large and very good and the surrounding grounds are were well kept and very tidy. The hotel is ideally sited for the strip. We had an enjoyable stay but would emphasize that this is not a hotel for families. Lots of stags and hen parties and it was a little rowdy in the small hours. But if you are looking for good budget hotel that caters for groups this is the one for you

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tsruhelpats
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Spent 16th to 19th May as an early birthday celebration with 5 friends all women , accomodation is basic but clean. The pool and grounds were well kept and bar staff were lovely. This is an ideal place to stay close to the strip, Yes there were lots of stag & hen groups but this added to the fun, it's not a place for children. We had a fantastic time just dont expect too much, remember you get what you pay for. My friends are thinking of going back in September to do it all again, we had a ball!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Deborah E
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I will start with the resort itself , and not talk about where it is. The Vilanova is cheap and fairly basic, but its perfectly fine if a bit dated and shabby. The pool is nice and big and the pool bar is fine and reasonably cheap (10 pound jug of sangria is yummy!!) the villa is lovely - I saw the studio and the villa is 10x nicer !! private and well laid out.

I was surprised by the people there. Big bellied tattooed men who can barely speak at ten in the morning, can only communicate by shouting, I never saw as many Jeremy Kyle type people in my life!!! loud stag / hen parties !! I would not recommend for elderly or children.
Hop on the yellow and blue train and head to the old town- far nicer, I wished we stayed there .
Its fine for a few days to get drunk but my advice would be just stay in the old town and away from the strip ! Beach is so much nicer at the old town too.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pami.eire
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The grounds & pool area are large scale & impressive, but that's where the praise must end. The rooms are reasonably well equipped but in need of some refurbishment. Perfect for Hens & Stags but not a family option

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends