“Basic and noisy”

Ranked #135 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Basic and noisy”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel/apartments is mostly stag and hen groups and is very noisy particularly in the early hours when you're trying to get a sleep. I don't mind people having fun and expect a bit of noise from revellers returning from a good night out, but the noise of teens fighting and bickering at 6am was a bit much, especially as it seemed like every night. The beds are on concrete bases and are the most uncomfortable beds I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing, I ended up throwing the matresses on the titled floor as it was a little cooler ( no air conditioning ). The staff couldn't care less about your comfort as it's aimed at the rough and ready 18-30 crowd but it wasn't priced as such when I booked and I only regret not checking tripadvisor before booking. The only thing in it's favour is it's right on the Strip, other than that I can't recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dav3Th3Brav3

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Whilst reading the reviews of vilanova before I left, I must admit I was a tad sceptical and didn't expect much, but how wrong I was. Myself and five other friends travelled here last week and it was an unforgettable experience. Firstly, the resort is actually on the strip. Not beside it, or close by as I had originally thought but actually physically on the strip literally a jaunt away from all the nearest clubs, pubs and restaurants. The rooms, admittedly lacking in style are clean and well equipped with everything that one might require. The rooms are cleaned daily and fresh towels are provided also. The pool area is well maintained and the pool bar is a useful tool to have when you want a light snack during the day but don't want to go along the strip, and don't want to make food yourself. There was only one day that I didn't get a sun lounger, a popular complaint on this probably because I didn't go down to the pool until 12pm, but no sooner had I laid my towel on the vast grass area that pretty much does the same job did 6 sun loungers become available.
The fundamental thing to know about going here is that it is NOT for families or older people seeking a quiet get away. Vilanova is crawling with young people between 17 and 30 and they just want to party and meet other young people and drink and throw each other in the pool. I couldn't have asked for a better, cleaner place to stay for the money that we paid. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bronach M
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My friend and I just returned from a short holiday. We stayed at Vilanova so I am happy to share our experience... First when our shuttle dropped us on the strip late at night, I felt a bit like I am in the middle of an open air concert or disco. Yet, walking towards the reception the noise faded and we were sorted with our keys very soon. We stayed in block 3 which is probably the closest to the strip but luckily facing the swimming pool, not the street. The appartment was spacious (triple room), and clean. Our kitchen area was well equipped with a kettle, microwave, oven, toaster, plenty pots and pans, plates, utensils, even a bottle opener. There was a nice dinner table as well but we always ate on the terrace. The best of all was the shower as water pressure was amazing. We are not the disco/pub/nightclub type of people so I cannot elaborate on the food and drinks on the strip but for what I noticed, the prices were very affordable pretty much everywhere - this was a nice surprise anyway. The nearest beach (Oura) was again very busy and quite small at low tyde, so we decided to look for a different beach and we found Falesia Beach (Praia da Falesia) which is about 7-8 miles away but really worth the effort. We walked there and took a bus on the way back... Wonderful scenery and very long sandy beach with few people. I can really recommend it. Summarizing our stay was comfortable and relaxing, some nights and early morning we could hear loud talk and laughs but it is mainly youngsters staying there, this is what they do on holiday and we expected that so it did not bother us. I would not recommend Vilanova for elderly people or families, just not the right environment.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Zoli D
Inverkeithing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Could do with an update but rooms cleaned every day and well maintained. I wouldn't stay in a studio apt if I was going again as bed was a base with a mattress next to wall and I prefer space at either side of me so therefore would book a villa which has a separate bedroom. We were in block 1 which was at the rear so away from the noise of the strip. Block 2 & 3 mainly had groups of young people. (we are in our 60's) The pool was cleaned every morning. The location is excellent if you can't walk far. The taxis and buses are just a couple of hundred yards away and the train to the Old Town is just round the corner 4 euros for all day ticket which we used by going down in the morning to shop coming back early afternoon and then going back down in the evening for a meal etc. We never had a bad meal anywhere but would highly recommend Gordini's which is just past the taxi rank if you want a special meal out for an inexpensive price. I would highly recommend The Cockerel which is down the strip, left at the shop called awesome and go up past a pub on the right (can't remember it's name) the wander inn on the left ( service terrible here) and about another 150yds on the right is The Cockerel but you will find you have to book as it is so popular. They do a combi grill for 2 for 28euro. You each get a 10oz rib eye, chicken breast and share a whole rack of lamb ribs accompanied by onion rings, mushrooms a bowl of chips plus salad. Absolutely amazing and I challenge anyone to eat it all. We went back another night as they also do buy 2 meals for price of one 14 euros. The gammon steak was nearly an inch thick. The lamb shank fell off the bone and was accompanied by potatoes and another 4 fresh veg. The meals are to die for and I would definitely go back here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

7 Thank Anne B
united kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here in March 2014 with my wife we we're put in a self catering apartment which was what we paid for and was quite adequate it contained a full cooker microwave and electric kettle plus plenty of cooking utensils if this is what you want on holiday.The location is quite good next to the strip but set back so there is not much noise at night,the grounds are set out nice and tended to daily.
The people on reception were very helpful and offered us a villa on our second day there but we declined because we were happy with the apartment.
I have read a lot of negative results on trip adviser (I think some people want 5 star accommodation for 1star prices) we were very happy with what we paid.
We went back in April our two grandchildren and was put in a two bedroom villa which was very spacious with all amenities.
Will go back again in the future.
I recommend the Hollandaise restaurant for breakfast and evening meal.

Room Tip: Ask for villa facing pool
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank asdwaz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

this place was one of the worst holiday hotels we've been to. Not that the facilities were poor - the company of young people frequenting the place were loud, totally disregarding other guests and the management was completely ineffective in curbing their behavior. BEST AVOIDED if you value your sleep!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

Travellers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

not one good nights sleep whilst i was ther with my wife due to unruly stag parties carrying on from 2 till 5 in the morning, also not able to use the pool due to large groups of men on stag dos playing ball games and genrally larking around being loud and obnoxious the only time any staff from the hotel were present was when a ambulance was calle for someone falling from the high dive platform,, the accomadation was ok but would not recomend for famlies

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple