“Not for families or tourists!”

Churrasqueira Gracinda Pragosa
Ranked #455 of 827 Restaurants in Albufeira
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not for families or tourists!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have visited Portugal a number of times and have enjoyed most of the restaurants that i have been to. However this place was an exception, we were placed on a table with other people on it (who were smoking as we ate our dinner), As the waiter couldn't be bothered to separate them. However that was the least of our worries... They charged us €9 per meal for our two children (that's €18 to feed our two children aged 6 and 7). This was after they had told us before ordering that the children would be half price... When we questioned this pricing, the waiter was incredibly rude, shouting at us in the middle of the restaurant and telling us that the pricing doesn't change for children... He then talked to other customers about the situation as we reluctantly paid for the mediocre meal. I was really annoyed by the behaviour of the staff in this place and was really let down by the quality of their food! Be aware if you decide to dine here with children as they completely scammed us! And also beware if you're dining here in general as we paid €6 for 1 martini - when the supermarket down the street sells a bottle for €6.50.

• Visited August 2013

Grand Metropolis
“Wonderful place to eat (especially if you have allergy of any kind)”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I was in Albufeira in April/May with my wife. I have an allergy to dairy which made eating out quite difficult as cream and butter feature seem to feature heavily. The first couple of days, we went to soulless international type restaurants, where the atmosphere was as bland as the food. On day three, we were approached by Jimmy near the taxi rank in the old town. We stopped and I’m glad we did. We were quickly persuaded that our needs could and would be met and we followed him a very short distance up the hill. The restaurant has an open kitchen (nothing to hide) and Jimmy spoke with the chef and told us that most on the menu could be made diary free.
The menu was local, was mainly Portuguese,: meat, fish, poultry and I believe some vegetarian. The food wasn’t expensive and neither was the wine list. I admit my expectations weren’t high. I was proved wrong. The food was simple, but made with high quality local ingredients and cooked by people who knew what they were doing and cared about what they were doing. As it was an open kitchen, we could see them in action. The wine was much better than we expected (we went for red each time) and I have paid more in a supermarket for an inferior quality product. I knew for certain the next day they were being honest about being able to do diary free, unlike some of their dishonest mediocre competitors.
The staff are friendly, especially the owner and the place, though not particularly modern, is not old fashioned and is at least Portuguese. I didn’t travel to Portugal to eat in overpriced bad imitations of Milan or New York, though if this is what you want, you will be spoiled for choice in Albufeira.
We ate in other places, but kept returning to the ‘king of chicken’, visiting seven or eight times, including takeaways (they do the best piri-piri chicken we had in Portugal) and the takeaway is amazingly good value as well being amazingly good to eat. My wife and I worked our way through much of the fish menu and can only be complimentary about it, even though we weren’t familiar with much of it. I can’t comment on the meat dishes, but we couldn’t fault the poultry dishes we tried.
All in all, we found this place suited our needs completely, but it depends what you want. If you want to pose, this probably isn’t the place for you. If you want somewhere friendly, that serves good food and wine for a fair price, give it a go. If you have a food allergy, speak to Jimmy and he will speak to the chef for you. If my experience is anything to go by, they will do all they can to accommodate you.
We intend to return to Albufeira in October and this restaurant and Jimmy are a big part of the reason why. As well as the restaurant, Jimmy also told us where to buy the best Portuguese cakes (great for presents), the best place to buy bottles of port (great for presents), the best bars in the old town, where to get the best coffee and helped us find other things we were looking for. Jimmy is like a walking guide book, except better, he knows things the guide books don’t know, or at least don’t tell you. If Jimmy does look after you and I’m sure he will, look after him. He’s a good lad doing a good job

Runcorn, United Kingdom
“Little Gem”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Typical Portuguese restaurant with pappa waiting on and mamma in the kitchen. Don't expect 3 star or above, more like your local cafe in town. Clean with local appeal, fresh food cooked in front of you on griddles with 'Home Cooked Chips' not these frozen ones served in every other place I have eaten in. The food is good but not great but at a very reasonable price with good portion sizes. We had the mixed meat kebab which was one of the best ones I have tasted anywhere with great salad and proper chips. The steak and eggs was also good but served differently. It came in a very hot dish with the steak being in a 'juice', still cannot work out what is was with the fried egg on top. The chips were then placed over the top of the entire dish. When it came out I thought it was a bowl of chips till you dug deeper. We also ordered the grilled Cod. This was disappointing but not by the standard of food but by the way it was served. The fish was 'swimming' in an inch deep of olive oil as was the potatoes and salad as they were all on the same dish. Each component was fine but I could not finish it.
They are pleasant and well worth a visit

Visited June 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
“Yummy food”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

The girls and I spent our last night in this restaurant...even sacrificing our all inclusive food back at the hotel. we really enjoyed the food. The waiter is off his head but, funny. The chef was so warm and nice. We were impressed with the person who told us about the restaurant. He was sweet. The food is made where you can see it being prepared, great value for money. My friend wasn't happy with her wine as she thought it was corked. The waiter happily changed it- great service! I would definitely recommend it!

Warwick, United Kingdom
“Fantastic yet simple food at very good prices”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This restaurant is the best we have visited in a long while. Fresh meat and fish dishes cooked in front of you with the freshest of ingredients at almost half the price of it's competitors. Traditional too.