Me and my friends wanted a nice clean self-catering apartment that was just outside of Albufera. Given the price we paid, we weren't expecting luxury. We just wanted something clean, spacious, with good facilities and free wifi of course! As soon as we arrived the staff appeared unhelpful, blunt and not very apologetic- it was almost as if they expected complaints and that was the norm.
PRO'S: - The pool area just behind the 'hotel' had lots of sun loungers, it was nice and spacious and the water heated up nicely by midday. Also, the bar staff and menu were very qwirky.
- we had a nice long double balcony situated on the top floor with nice sea and pool views.
CONS: - The wifi- quite difficult to connect to. Mine only worked if i stood next to the reception desk. It is supposed to work in communal areas and not in your rooms. I tried to connect on the first night on the sofas in the reception area, and a huge cockroach ran across the sofa, over my shoulder! We did complain however the staff did nothing.
-Aircon- the room is either too hot or too cold.
- The Pillows!- there were 4 of us in the apartment. We had one bedroom with 2 single beds, and 2 sofas which turned into beds in the living room. Our pillows were literally like a thousand cotton balls stuffed in, so lumpy! As it is we were only given 3 pillows, between 4 of us and had to wait until the following day to get extras.
- the towels were extremely small and very rough. They seemed quite reluctant to change them
Location- this was a 20 minute walk from 'the strip', and a 40+ minute power walk from Albufera. In the sweltering heat this walk was just too much. The hotel was too far to enjoy everything without worrys of getting back and forth.
- our room got cleaned on most days however all they seemed to do was replace the loo roll and make the bed.
- the kitchen was ok but the freezer didnt really freeze, the microwave and kettle looked 20 years old and there was no oven provided.
-Taxis!- you have to pay 75cents for the reception to call a taxi for you. They are very slow also.
-The TV- you have to pay a 10 euro deposit to get your remote and when you do, you get one small old tv with no english channels except sky world news. The rest of the channels kept sticking so we'd be stuck with 1 foreign channel throughout 12 channels! This was a shame. A couple of english channels would've been appreciated.
- I saw 2 cockroaches and a lizzard inside the hotel on our top floor. This didn't help us to sleep at ease.
Overall, the hotel was very basic. It wasn't very clean and didnt provide us with much. We were quite laid back but it really was just one problem after the other. It was too far from Albufera and I fail to see how this is called a hotel, it certainly doesnt deserve any more than 2 stars.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Balaia Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balaia Plaza Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal
- Balaia Plaza Hotel Albufeira