“It just keeps getting better”
Review of Bayside Salgados

Bayside Salgados
Ranked #49 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
leeds
“It just keeps getting better”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This latest visit was our sixth. Joseph and all the staff have turned this previously run down, flagging self catering style hotel into a pleasurable place to spend a relaxing holiday. The gardens are now exceptional and safer. The pool area and pool are efficiently cleaned every day. The rooms have had some attention and are still acceptable at these prices. The surrounding area is off the beaten main roads which helps with the relaxation. There are at least fifteen good eateries including the hotel dining room, within walking distance,there and back,if your prepared to investigate its worth the effort. Return taxi to Albufiera could be 30 to 40 euros. Back again in Sept. Can't wait. If you try this place don't rely on first couple of days impression, give it a chance explore the area and you may well love it.

Room Tip: If you want utter privacy try to get first floor rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jayne A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed here 7th-14th May 2014 and got exactly what we were after.

After a couple of years of hectic life, we desperately needed a quiet relaxing holiday in peaceful surroundings and that is exactly what we got.

Obviously with the price, no one should expect luxury. You get what you pay for, and although after seeing some of the bad reviews I was a little sceptical, now I've been I can only put those reviews down to bad luck and also appears to be somewhat an overreaction caused by higher expectations than there should have been. For £113 for two people for 7 days, I was actually prepared to expect much worse and actually have stayed in worse places closer to Albufeira town in the past. Take the bad reviews with a pinch of salt when considering booking here. Not to say those reviews weren't necessarily true, but from our experience, they seem ridiculously over the top.

Cleanliness is good. Yes there are some stains in the bathroom that can't be cleaned, or black sealant in places but the cleaners did pop in every day to check if we needed cleaning, towels or toilet roll etc and if we weren't there they just came in and did it except for one day. Doesn't add up with a couple of reviews stating they come every 3 days and towels not being replaced so they must have changed their ways of working.

Ok, so there wasn't every component and utensil in the kitchenette that one might be used to at home and a few small vital things missing such as bottle opener and a sharp knife, but if you contact reception to request this they happily dealt with it immediately. Again, you're not there to cook a 3 course meal and rarely will you find everything in a self catering apartment so generally what was there did suffice.

The bar/restaurant and pool were excellent. In our first few days the hotel was pretty empty except for a few nice people., the pool was very quiet and peaceful. As the week went on and it got busier, I have to say I found the pool area a little claustrophobic. But that was probably more of a personal issue than anything and we swiftly went off to the beach, which we always prefer anyway so wasn't a big deal. We only had two breakfasts and a takeaway pizza on our last night. From a girl who is very specific about scrambled egg, I rarely find a place that actually prepares it well, this was top notch! And their Garlic bread was delicious and pizza better than many, although this was just for a quick snack before heading to bed. I can't comment on the rest of the food but was told by other guests it was delicious. The menu is pretty plain and standard but not uncommon in other places I've been to in and around Albufeira.

Now let's tackle the cat 'issue'! As a cat fiend, I have to say I was pretty disappointed not to see 'hundreds of cats' as I'd seen on an earlier critical post! To be honest, there are cats in the area as there are in most places including London! The difference is some are semi-feral and I can understand why non cat lovers would prefer them to stay away. However, they are not in your face all the time. At the restaurant on the corner, 2 cats in particular do come and sit by your feet for food, but they are much less harassing that many other places I have been around the world and they do actually get fed and taken under the wing of the hotel and restaurant so they're not starving. All you have to do is ignore them, if they do become too much just gently scare them off and they will leave. It really isn't a big issue! Unless you haven't been away much and seen cats it countries such as Greece, Spain and even further afield such as SE Asia in parts, then you will realise that they are much less hassle than other places. Even I get annoyed after a while if they are begging and harassing me, but I certainly didn't have that problem on this holiday. The hotel seems to have accumulated 3 'resident cats', They wander round the grounds, sit in bushes etc but there was never a problem with them coming in the room or into the bar area. In fact they only came to talk to us when we called them over.

The local area and beach: A casual stroll to Salgados Beach via the supermarket took 7-10 mins. Going via the supermarket is a short cut. At the supermarket, walk up the grass mound to the road, turn right for a few meters, cross the road and there is the entrance to the beach. Really can't comprehend why it would take anyone more than 20 mins at a very slow pace, let alone 40 mins as a previous poster said. Even without the short cut it takes 10 - 15 mins. If you are not in best health for walking then you should take the slightly longer route as it is less hilly - the grass mound from the supermarket although not long, is very steep. I don't know about the other beaches as we didn't go to them, but it's a pleasant walk either way. The beach itself is absolutely stunning. No big hotels on a promenade or shops with postcards and lilos, this means the backdrop is actually open space with birds and plants. Hands down beats Albufeira beach as I find I could be anywhere on those sorts of beaches and also packed to the brim of burning Brits. Definitely one of the nicest beaches I have been to in the med. When you get to the actual beach turn right and you will see a little drinks kiosk. Very friendly owners and 2 sunbeds and an umbrella for 10 euros, very cheap. We don't always do this but as we were having a heatwave, we needed the shade as there is no shade anywhere else.

The supermarket is literally 5 mins away. The map the hotel give out isn't the best, but with a little common sense and taking little risks to find short cuts, it is readable. It is only a small supermarket, but certainly enough produce to have many different meals and has all the basics. If you hire a car there are other bigger places around, but we didn't need to do that this time.

There are a few restaurants dotted around the area about a mile walk. We didn't venture to these so can't comment on the quality, but it is good to know they're there and mainly all have good reviews on here.

We didn't go to Albufeira town, been there done that many times before so as this was a relaxing break, we decided not to waste the money getting a cab back.

Service: Brilliant. Of course preventing things going wrong when running a business is always important, but often things can go wrong out of your control and the difference between good customer service and bad, is how problems are dealt with and rectified. When we arrived, we were told there had been a burst water pipe in the area and there was no water at the hotel at all. This was out of their control, they were very apologetic and gave us a bottle of water. We weren't too bothered as we wanted to go out and explore a bit anyway so wasn't too much of an issue. It then came back on in the evening so we could have a shower and all was fine. We then woke up in the morning to find no water again. We were now a little concerned, considering we had seen other reviews that said they don't deal with problems well etc. We called the reception to ask as we had been told the day before it was all fixed. We asked how long it had been going on for and she said 'for months or four months'. We were obviously quite annoyed and felt we'd been fobbed off the day before and actually was this a hotel issue as opposed to an area issue? We spoke to the manager, he assured us it wasn't the case and said it was a language issue, which did annoy us as it was pretty clear what she said, and hotels will have staff that know the difference between days/weeks/months. Anyway, whatever it was, he was very apologetic and he offered us a free breakfast and some more water and went down to the site of this burst pipe to find out what was happening. It then got fixed that day and we had no problems after that so it was absolutely fine. All the staff there are extremely polite, helpful and were always going out of their way to help and make our stay enjoyable, I honestly cannot fault any service we got.

I think I have gone on long enough and you get a picture of our stay! The long and short of it is, we definitely will be going back there for cheeky little relaxing breaks. Don't go if you want to go to Albufeira every day - it will be too expensive and you may as well stay somewhere closer. It isn't the place for loud parties/stags and hens or large families with noisy children. You won't have enough to do in the area unless you rent a car, and equally I found the people who have chosen to go there are only there to relax and unwind. You will be out of place, you won't enjoy it and neither will the quiet guests :). Do go if you want to relax, sit on a beautiful and very clean beach, prefer to have a bottle of wine on the balcony rather than go to loads of bars, and if you are not after luxury. The price reflects the standard of accommodation so don't expect the Ritz!

We can't wait to go back and will be booking again before the year is out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheHardyTraveller
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The staff here are very friendly and attentive. When i arrived, although it was very late, about 2330, they offered to make me food even though the chef has packed up and was about to go home. I was so tempted due to the flight etc and hadnt eaten for a while, so i had to go for it. She made me a cheese toastie which despite it's simplicity was to die for, and also some chips which were the quality of a restaurant! Nice and crunchy and soft on inside, just like me! ;) Then he asked if i wanted any drinks and got 2 pints, because i knew i would drink the first one quickly due to my thirst!

Everything was explained very clearly, and also got 7 days worth of internet. Unfortunately it is not a timer service and means that you cannot pause it if you log off like some other hotels.

When i got to my "room" i realised it was basically an apartment, and had 3 beds even though i was staying on my own! It also had a free fridge (despite other hotels charging extra for this!), and small hob unit, and sink, as well as cutlery and pots and pans. This all turned out quite handy in the end!

The downside of the room was the TV was tiny, and only had one English channel so didnt really matter in the end. One other negative was that they only gave one piece of soap for my whole stay and no shampoo! So had to make do without shampoo as there no way im spending money on a big bottle just to throw it away. Hotels should know to supply enough shampoo and shower gel/ soap because travellers cannot take bit bottles on the place if they are travelling with hand luggage. Also, i noticed no lock on the bathroom door, but didnt matter for me as i was travelling alone. To add to that, when you flush the toilet the button stayed in which causes the toilet to keep making a noise way after you have flushed it, so i learnt to lightly press it in so it pops up and therefore stops making the annoying noise.

There was lot's of storage for everything, and the wardrobe has mirrored doors for those trying to look nice before going out:)

Another thing, there was what i think was a light outside the building which was noisey and annoying when trying to get to sleep.

As for the local area, this let it down. It was so far from anything. There was a snack bar a few metres from hotel on the corner, and a shop (which they called a supermarket even though it was small) about 10 minutes walk away which was hidden away. However, further down was a lovely Italian restaurant called Bellavita i think which i had a wonderful ribeye steak at and had a nice view of the sea. Further down the road from the restaurant you could get to the beach down a path, but the whole layout of the place needed improvement because access wasnt great. When you get to the beach there are a few restaurants and snack bars, sun loungers cost €8 for half a day, so didnt use one.

Apart from all that, there isnt much in the very local area, and you would need to take advantage of a hire car, because even the bus service is poor locally. The hotel ran a minibus service in the morning at 1030 to go to the Albufeira town but im not going to lie i didnt end up waking up in time and even going back it goes at 1500.

When i left, i got my transfer to the airport and as i was higher up i could see the woods opposite had been used as some sort of dumping ground which made it look horrible, but seems to be hidden from the general public by the trees.

As for the pool area, it was a nice pool and had a jacuzzi and various games tables to use. But i did notice some of the sun loungers were in a poor condition and definitely need changing. Half didnt have comfortable covers and the ones that did were a bit scruffy. Also, some didnt allow you to change the height of the back of the seat as they were too loose, and when i sat on another it gave way beneath me! Im not even that big!

Overall, a nice hotel if you have a hire car or are willing to get taxis into the main town but not much in the local area for those lazy holiday days when you cant be bothered to do much and would like something local. In the end let down by a few minor details i am afraid to say but still worth it for some. I gave it 5 stars for service because they deserve it and it's not their fault the area isnt up to standard.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank BVH123
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We have returned from our second holiday to Bayside salgados and have had a fantastic 2 weeks. We had our first holiday at Bayside a 6 night break last year, we enjoyed it so much we came back again but for longer this time. It is so quiet and peaceful down a dead end Road so no passing traffic. We are already planning our return and can't wait. It's best to hire a car for at least some of the time to explore the algarve and to save the legs going to the beach etc. Tony and linda

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Linda T
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Apartments spacious,clean and fully equipped in kitchen area etc. with the terrace or balcony.Outdoor swimming pool + small jacuzzi also available for kids. Nice area, although a bit far from a city centre but close to the beaches and supermarkets, 15-20 mins walk. Billard, karaoke, restaurant and bar. Lovely drinks and nice breakfasts- good selection. Playground. We really enjoyed! I fully recommend :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mayaosa
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I called in to the Bayside Solgados Reception to book dinner for that evening. Regrettably, the dining room was not exactly open (too few residents) and, after all, it was February.
We called because we had stayed there a couple of times in the past and remembered the food to be of good quality, well cooked, value for money and served in a courteous fashion.
The Duty Manager did ask us if we wanted to have dinner that evening he would ask the Chef (despite him being off-duty that day) to come in and prepare the food for us. What can I say to that kind of service?
Declining the very kind offer of dinner, we started a conversation about our previous stays with them. No sooner had we started this conversation than we were given a guided tour of the different styles of apartments available. The tour was neither hurried nor filled with 'sales talk' and claptrap, quite the contrary, all very informative and 'non-pressurising'. I am not so naïve as to think there wasn't an element of future sales - but, why not! Anyway, how were we made to feel? - like people, not sales pitches.
Our memories of our previous stays were of a tired appearance of the hotel room's fixtures and fittings and the well laundered sheets and towels. But, the place was still acceptable to stay in - clean and tidy with good attitudes to guests.
I must say that the refurbishment that has taken place (and is taking place) is of a very good standard. The décor is fresh and bright. The furnishings are modern and everything else is well appointed.
To be honest and my apologies, we chose other accommodation over the Bayside because of the description I gave of earlier times.... BUT... I shall not make that mistake again. I shall be booking our future accommodation with the Bayside and recommend it to our family, friends and colleagues.
If you want 4 Star hotel facilities then pay the money and stay in one. If you want 4 Star accommodation and you are sensible and flexible in your attitudes then stay at the Bayside.
I cannot tolerate people who want a 'Little England' in their accommodation or resort and whinge about the heat and 'foreign' food, etc. Stay at home and slap on some fake tan!
For good service, food and accommodation at a sensibly targeted price, I would certainly recommend the Bayside.
Once again, sincere thanks from my wife and I to the staff on duty that day of our visit (15/02/2014).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank FDM62
Chantal S, Guest Relations Manager at Bayside Salgados, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Visitors,
We appreciate your comments concerning your brief visit to our facilities. It is our goal to make all our resident and potencial future clients welcomed. It was a pleasure to show you some of the changes we made in our complex since your last stay and we do look forward to have you staying with us in the near future.
Yours sincerely.
João Nunes
Wickford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We needed a quiet relaxing break after a very busy summer, Bayside was the perfect choice, the hotel is being modernised but it's exactly what you pay for, The Staff are amazing and the food ( we went half board) was brilliant, cooked full english for breakfast and 3 course meal for dinner. The beach is about 5-10 minues away and was stunning, We went in October the weather was perfect, The pool isn't heated but when it's hot it's perfect. The rooms were basic but we had everything we needed, toaster, kettle, flat screen tv. All I can say is we are booking again for next year, thank you Bayside.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcany room if you don't like cats
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family