“Went last year, good value, close to bars but I got food poisoning”

Hotel Paraiso de Albufeira
Ranked #92 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
London, United Kingdom
“Went last year, good value, close to bars but I got food poisoning”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Positives - Went for 5days, staff pleasant, good bar, near to the strip, there was an amazing pool with entertainment daily.

Downside -However I got food poisoning from mussels and the snack bar at the pool was closed.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Neale F, General Manager at Hotel Paraiso de Albufeira, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Emma,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us last year, however your statement claiming you got 'food poisoning' from eating mussels at the hotel should be withdrawn, as we have never served fresh mussels on the buffets as they are considered to be a high-risk food item.
The poolside snack bar also closes every year on October 31st, and of course is closed if the weather proves to be inclement before that date. When this happens, the snacks are served in the main bar until such time as the weather clears.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 19 August 2014

initially the hotel was impressive and the staff smiled. we arrived at 10am after little sleep the night before. no assistance with rooms, no where to change and because it was before 11 we couldnt get a coffee on the all inclusive. i asked several times and explained how much sleep I had not had but they would not budge. not quite what you expect from a 4 star. the pool was dirty and in the morning there was a film on the bottom where it had settled over night. most morings I watch a staff member throwing buckets of white powder into the pool. not even sprinkling it just lobbing it in. after 2 weeks all of the family had inner ear pains and sore throats, I wonder why. we caculated the number of beds and the number of people the hotel could hold and there was less that 75% sun beds to people. every morning there where arguements over the sun beds. somepeople would come in from all nighters put towels on the beds before 7 or leave a member of the family asleep on a pile of 3 or 4 beds.I gave up at getting up earlier than 7 but even then I rarely got a parasole or a bed near the pool, which is a must when you have young children.
the service around the pool was very poor. they have 1 person on the bar so the que was alway long and you got small plasticcups that spilt all over the place. we eventually ordered 10 drinks for 4 of us so that we didnt have to keep running back and forth. the alcohol was served from different bottles to all inclusive and paying sustomers and a vodka and coke had little vodka in it. I did complain but nothing happened.. the site was not secure at all. people from outside the hotel were coming in and one one occassion a family not staying were in the pool and 1 member had an accident and yes they had our sun beds.
the food was well cooked and nice but they didnt like you to have too much of the meat and when it was gone it was gone so make sure you get to the food early. I complained about this too. for 3 nights they ran out of coke.. not a problem you may think but we were all inclusive and the kids and me wanted coke with the meal. I even told the head waiter to get 40 euros from the desk, cross the road to the supermarket, buy alot of coke bottles so they could continue to serve coke. he was not impressed but he had recieved many complaints from different families that night.
the room were very clean but the cheap plastic furniture on the balcony colapsed and I injured my back. im only 14 stone so there should be no problem. they did replace the chair the next day. staff were nearly polite but having watch the ground staff attempting to jet wash the pool area up hill for nearly an hour, i did wonder. the grass is very green around the pool and you can sit on it (not alway enough beds) but the ants are very hard to find intill they get on you or your kids. since they are alot bigger than ours in the UK they really scare the kids. my son still cant lie on the grass in the garden after that day. the hotel is dated and a lick of paint will not cover up every thing. the resturant under the pool is amazing and big. if you look up through the false ceiling you can see where they have attached square shower trays to the roof where the pool is leaking and piped the run off accross the ceiling to the drainage system. cleaver stuff.. the enterainment was really good and we all enjoyed it. both the pool side stuff and the evening entertainment was great. unfortunately the drinks on the A I was really weak and if you ask for a vodka with no ice they dont like it.
We could go on and on faulting the hotel, even the lifts failed to line up with the floors. One lady in a wheel chair couldnt get out because of the height difference in the floor and lift. my son tripped up several times and fell because of it.
got really brown the weather was briliant for july just tolerable. the hotel. well ... really poor. it was not worth the money for 2 weeks AI take £1500 of the price and Id go again

Room Tip: pool side, definitely but away from the centre of the hotel due to the noise. have kids then get a r...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank AdeHillyer

Travellers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel, for two weeks, arriving back home 9th August our party consisted of 7 adults, 2 teenagers and 4 children, 3 aged 7 and 1 aged 4.
Got checked I by a not so friendly guy on reception no eye contact or anything. The staff seemed quite rude and ignorant at times and not interested in what you were saying. I am disabled and was allocated a completely unsuitable room, when we complained we were moved to another unsuitable room and then promised a more suitable room the next day when more rooms would be empty, when we returned for more suitable accommodation we were told there was none.
The food was terrible both from a quality and quantity point of view. Breakfast and lunch were in what you could only describe as a works canteen and dinner was in a room in the bowels of the hotel next to the Kiddies entertainment area. The pool area was ok but a bit dangerous with broken tiles and kids were slipping everywhere, the water didn't look clean at all, I was surprised there weren't any accidents and there was a severe shortage of any clearing away of any plastic glasses or rubbish.
The sit in Pool bar was closed all the time we were there, the pool bar was dirty and the snack bar was too, with staff who didn't even say hello to you, really looked like they don't want to be there, they were like robots going around, The food in restaurants was ok and the kids liked it as they could help themselves. The evening meal was absolutely terrible you had to go through some 1980s type disco to get to it, the entertainment was based down in this horrible disco; it was a smelly sweat box, The Thomas Cook team were great I might add and the kids loved them. They were the only nice people in the hotel, only good thing about this hotel was air con in room worked great and the grounds weren't bad.
You always had to queue!!! For drinks as earlier reviewers have pointed out in all the bars you had a long snake-like queue waiting for their drinks and on ordering would inevitably be told that they were restricted to 2 drinks at a time? You had to queue for breakfast and dinner waiting for tables and cutlery.
On our second day, my daughter in law went to get drinks, from the pool bar as i am disabled and my and wife had an operation, a few months ago, when the bar man, flatly refused to serve her the drinks, saying it was company rules that only two drinks could be allowed . She explained that there was a disabled person in our group, but he refused again. The rule was overturned for our group, for a couple of days but then reverted back to the same situation, we all noticed that, other than beer, the drinks appeared to be watered down, including the fresh orange juice!!! Go to the snack bar. Queue, yet again!!! We were told, by someone who holidayed there last year that the staff had been reduced by 100 per cent!!! Hence the overworked miserable staff.
Every day, it became routine, that in order to get sun beds near the pool, because of the little ones, we had to rise at 06.00am. Ridiculous!! So, many people were doing it, at the same time as us. So many people were complaining. Far too many people. Far too few sun beds!!!
The food...... Well, it was either nice, or not so nice!!! There was always something that you might like, even if it was not much!!!
The rooms are very basic, plain decor really low hard beds and pillows. Ridiculous! 1980s portable TV The little kitchenette was very handy, and the bathroom was well equipped.
Would we return, to this hotel? Never!! We would never recommend it to anyone? There were so very many people complaining about so many things. Not everyone can be wrong!!!
The best I can say is that the children had a great time. The little ones loved the Kids Club, and the mini disco.

4 Thank Barry G
Deal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Have just returned from a really enjoyable stay at the Paraiso. The rooms were spacious and clean, but the mattresses really do need updating - we had to put blankets underneath the sheets to stop the springs digging in. Once we had done this, we slept really well with no noise other that the hum of the air conditioning which was really good and effective. As for the all-inclusive, we were very happy with this, yes it was canteen style but with so many to cater for you can't really do anything else - and there really was something for everyone. The only negative for us was that it was taken away at mid-day on the day of departure so we were left with nothing until our transfer at 6pm. I had checked this out with a member of reception a day earlier and she said as we had checked in at 10pm we would have this privilege until 10pm too - then on check-out the Manager overruled her which I thought was terrible. In effect we only had 6.5 days - but perhaps I'm being overly fussy!!
The pool was lovely, although cold, but you needed this to cool down - it was extremely busy in the afternoons though. And as for sun-beds - the age-old problem - up at dawn to reserve one. Having said that, this hotel had lovely lawned areas where you could get away from the crowds and have your own space so I though this was a real bonus. All in all a really good holiday but not quite 4 star from me!

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

After reading reviews on this hotel, I was worried about staying here but as soon as i arrived my worries disappeared! My room was spacious, with a nice bathroom and kitchen, which we didn't really use as we were all inclusive. The all inclusive food was great, could have been better (sometimes was a little cold) but overall everybody i travelled with found something to eat(there were 12 of us, with one especially fussy eater so this was impressive!)
The entertainment was possibly the best part of the holiday with the entertainment team who seemed to be on the go all day long! My partner used the gym once on this holiday and said it was great, although a lot of locals use it as well so it was quite busy. The pool was always clean, and the two children who I stayed with loved playing in it! One of the main negatives about this hotel was the wifi, which didn't appear to ever be working, but I was on holiday so i enjoyed not having to check my phone/laptop all the time!
The location of the hotel was excellent, only a walk or a short bus ride(which was provided by the hotel free of charge!) and you were in the old town where there was a beach, shops and restaurants. To the other side of the hotel there was a strip of bars,clubs and restaurants.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody and I'm already planning my next trip to go back!

3 Thank zoe1704
Warrenpoint, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

This Hotel was surprisingly, slightly more than a 4 star Hotel. The pool was great, entertainment every day. They had tennis courts and a fun mini Golf! Its great for families. The rooms, where more to a 4 star standard though. You get what you pay for!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Colette S
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We have just got back from a weeks hol at this hotel (2 adults,1 child), we went via t.cook and paid £1800 so please base your opinions on this all inclusive review.
I've read back through the last weeks reviews so hope I don't repeat to much as what's been already said. The hotel looks like it could do with a massive investment of cash,the exterior is greyish white and could do with a good lick of paint,but bear in mind their economy is still in recession so things are probably v tight budget wise.Staff numbers are thin everywhere you look and this is the reason for the long queues whilst waiting for drinks,snacks.
Rooms are very dated but large and functional,if you were self catering you would b very well provided for in utensils from oven,microwave,pots pans etc.yes we did have a grounding 14" tv but we never used it.
Bring your own hairdryer ladies as there isn't any provided!!
You get issued a beach towel from the hut outside by the pool,but children don't,very strange as they are also paying guests! But you can pay 5 euros deposit for one if needed.
You will have to be down at before 7am to reserve a sun lounger and by 7.40am they gave defo all gone.
Be very careful by the pool as it's very slippy and angled into the water so always use the steps and handrail otherwise you will come a cropper.
Big splash competition at 4.30pm is the highlight of the entertainment.Entertainment staff are great and not too pushy,they work very hard.
Breakfast is so so but you can always get a hot cooked meal,self service and the understaffed staff do their best,but once again a sign of cut backs.
Lunch at the snack bar was pizza,burger,hotdogs,chicken nuggets,chips etc once again massive queues,it's not in the hotels interest to give food away quickly as you would just hammer it and it would cost them.Dissapointing that you have to queue up in the same line when you only want an icecream (30 mins).
Dinner is served in the basement in a musty room,buffet service again,cheap and not very cheerful I'm afraid,we ate out 4 nights as it would of been too depressing to be down there too much.Tip for there is to get a jug of wine when you queue up and not ask for a glass.
All in all staff are stretched and do their best with what they have.
Don't expect too much and you won't be dissapointed.
Places to eat I would recommend are the Chinese restaurant on the corner when you go right out the entrance,quick and tasty food.Urban pizza restaurant in the old town,fantastic and a buzzing environment to be in.
Tour shop out the front turn left 50 yards do day trips to Gibraltar twice a week at only 25 euros.
Albuferia is a lovely place and next time I would opt for a different hotel.

1 Thank 742Chef1971