“Lovely hotel - shame about the sunbeds!”
Review of Smartline Miramar

Smartline Miramar
Ranked #71 of 153 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here for a week with 2 friends at the end of July. We're 3 girls in our 20s and this was our 5th visit to Albufeira so when we booked the Luna Miramar we knew what we were getting location-wise. It's more or less right in the middle of the Old Town and the Strip which are about a 15/20 minute stroll away or never more than 5 euros in a cab. The Albufeira shopping Centre is literally next to the hotel with a big Continente supermarket inside which is perfect if you are self catering like we were.

Originally there were 4 of us going so I had booked a Studio for 4 adults. In hindsight it was almost a blessing that our 4th member dropped out as we found the room quite compact for 3 adults and all their stuff, 4 would have been a real squeeze! We had 2 single beds pushed together to make a double and a sofa bed, the 4th person would have been sleeping on the pull out from underneath the sofa and we're not entirely sure where we would have put that - either they'd have been wedged between the sofa and the foot of the beds or in the kitchenette! Storage space was also a bit lacking as were hangers but not the end of the world. You could tell the room had recently been done up and it all looked fresh and clean, however, there were a few minor things that could improve it - a toilet roll holder, a full length mirror that wasn't in almost inaccessible corner by the door with little lighting and a few more plug sockets. The bathroom ventilation was also very noisy but didn't seem to do a great deal!

The kitchenette was well enough equipped for our needs - pots, a frying pan, plenty of plates/bowls/glasses/cutlery, chopping board, spatulas etc. the only thing missing was a sharp knife. As ever, no kettle and it's not really an issue to boil water in a pan but I never understand why they supply a coffee percolator and not a kettle. There was also a toaster, microwave and 2 ring hob. Bathroom and shower were fine. Our beds were made every day and towels changed a couple of times during our stay. We found the whole place to be very clean and can't fault the maid service.

The one real issue with this hotel is the swimming pool. Whilst they cannot physically cram any more sun loungers around the pool there just aren't enough to go round. Because this hotel also does All Inclusive this is likely not helped by the fact that people who have paid for AI want to stay by the pool and use it for their drinks/snacks rather than venture out. This unfortunately has lead to the usual race to put your towel on a sun bed situation and this is by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed at for this. On our first morning we woke up at 8am of our own accord, thought we'd get some sun cream on and go down to the pool but soon realised that wouldn't be happening when we saw the sea of towels from the balcony! By 7am pretty much all the sunbeds are taken - this is even more ridiculous when you consider that half the pool is in the shade in the morning and the other half is in the shade in the afternoon so people essentially go for sun beds based on what part of the day they want to sunbathe in. There are plenty of signs around telling you that you are not allowed to reserve beds but these are neither observed nor enforced and of course everyone moans about it but they still set their alarms for 6.30 to race down there anyway...Our only thought was there is a large patch of fake grass on the flat roof of the restaurant, is there no way sun beds could be put up there?

All the staff we came across at the hotel were lovely especially the people on reception during the day and the night porter too. They were always happy to call us a taxi and booked a trip to the water park for us and were just generally very friendly and welcoming. They were also very patient with my friend's requests to constantly reset the wifi box...There is wifi in reception but it does seem to go off a lot and drop in and out so don't expect to be able to do much more than send a few whatsapps home!

Overall this is a nice hotel, with a few more improvements it could be a really good hotel. The only thing that would stop me staying here again is the sun bed situation, if they could find a solution to that I would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Beem10
Luna H, Manager at Smartline Miramar, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Beem10,

Thank you for choosing Luna Miramar and for your kind comments. It is this kind of feedback that gives us extra motivation. It is wonderful to know you had a great time at the Hotel.

It is with great pride that I see you like to be in our company during your vacation.
But it is also greatl for us to feel that we can really provide a great vacation.
On behalf of the entire team of Luna Miramar want to thank you your words and above all to say is this satisfaction that work every day.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just back from a 7 night stay at the Luna Miramar and after reading some of the reviews I was worried, this was a family holiday that was really important to us. On arrival I was disapointed with the room as the bathrooms drain hole was all broken and as my kids are 6 and 10 if they had walked on it it would have cut their feet, however after speaking to reception they moved us instantly and from then on everything was great. All the staff were friendly the kids loved the entertainment guys and they all couldnt do enough for us. I thought going all inclusive would mean queues at meal times but no, stress free although the toaster situation was a little annoying as they only had one grill and it took ages. Plenty to eat, enough choice for us and the kids loved going and getting what they wanted. Now for the sunbed situation.....if you haven't claimed one by 7.30am you won't get one...simple as, no point whinging about it just get up and get one. One of the reviews on here said they only saw the pool area cleaned once, well I can tell you that they were out every night tidying and cleaning the poolside and every morning checking the pool filters and the chemical levels. The poolside toilet doors could do with looking at as there are cracks in the plastic doors. Rooms were spotlessly clean, cleaned every day and fresh towels 3 times a week. All inclusive finishes at 11pm but reception bar is open until 12. Massive shopping centre next door, go upstairs and you get essentials in the supermarket. Nice 15 minute stroll down to Albufeira old town and beach. Zoomarine was fab, booked it through a ticket shop and got a free child place. All in all we loved our holiday and I would recommend the hotel.

2  Thank swishswoo

Dear swishswoo,

Thanks you for your lovely comments and for trusting Luna Miramar.
It will be a pleasure to have you again as our guests.
Luna Miramar (tiagopais@lunahoteis.com).

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Please ignore all the bad reviews of this hotel , all the staff are polite and friendly, never had any issues with them even after I had to inform them I broke something, it was fixed straight away. We stayed for a week with 2 adults 2 children, the staff were helpful at all times, easy to book trips through the reception, the food is amazing, maybe would have got bored of it if we stayed 2 weeks but their is plenty if choice for everyone at each meal time. The kitchen happily made us a food pack when we went out for the day, we got new towels and the beds made everyday, sheets got changed twice during our stay. The only slight complaint I have is the wifi only works in the reception area, but you don't go in holiday to be on the internet all the time. We got a great room 405, was on the 4th floor however didn't feel so high up. I was worried as my child sleep walks however the balcony lock was even difficult for me to lift up. Good location, their is a shuttle bus once a day to the beach, but once you know the way to walk it only a 10/15 minute walk. Very close to the old town, plenty to do in Albufeira, I would recommend anyone to go to Zoomarine,fantastic day out, dolphins, seals, birds, internal beach, slides, rides all in the same place. We also went to slide and splash waterpark which was fun. Great staff, great food , great hotel. Many thanks for a great holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Chlöe R
Luna H, Manager at Smartline Miramar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear chloekins89,

Reviewed 3 August 2014

After reading some reviews I was slightly worried about hotel. I shouldn't have been. Reception area was lovely as was the upstairs bar area. Our room was very spacious and plenty wardrobe space.Small balcony but overlooked the pool so not to bothered by that.The sunbeds were an issue but to be honest you find that problem in most places. There were definitely not enough of them for the amount of people in the hotel.As much as there were signs up they were ignored and most people up early to put towels out, myself included!! We enjoyed the food and can't understand what people are complaining about.Steak,chicken and an assortment of fish daily was not much to moan about. There was also pasta, burgers, nuggets, chips and plenty of salads too. Bar snacks were abit boring though and think they were just put in the microwave to heat. Drinks were okay and you could get more than one at a time! I do feel that when you go All Inclusive you get treated abit differently. The bar snacks did look better presented when cash was handed over which is a shame as people have paid alot of money upfront for their holiday and should be treated the same.It's not free.The entertainment staff, like all the staff,worked really hard. The entertainment at night could be improved though, but not their fault. Apart from this we had a great time. and met some lovely people. Everyone got on well and there was a good atmosphere.I would recommend this hotel to others.Beautiful place the Algarve.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank gillianh46

Dear gillianh46,

Thank you very much for your kind review. At Luna Miramar we do our best everyday to exceed our guests expectations. We are very glad you enjoyed the Hotel, its location and services, and had a good time in Albufeira.
Looking forward to welcome you again.

Luna Miramar (tiagopais@lunahoteis.com).

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel Luna Miramar is a nice hotel, it is clean, well maintained and the staff are friendly and pleasant. The room we had was spacious and the air con was good. The shower and bath always had hot water and shower was very good. The fridge also kept any drinks cool and we kept a jug of cold water in it. We had had a balcony and a view of the pool. In the morning the balcony was in the shade and mid pm to evening in the sun, so not too warm for the morning lie in.

The hotel is conveniently located between the old town, my preferred place and "the strip" the latter did not seem to bad although I only went early evening. The old town is vibrant and had lots going on. There are many different places to eat there for all tastes and budgets. The long sandy beach is a 10/15 min walk away, and has bar and loungers. Would recommend buying an umbrella though unless you hire sunbed.

We were on an all inclusive package which I had never done before. There are some time restrictions on it 11am to 6pm by the pool, hotel bar closed for all inclusive at 11 pm. Not all drinks are available and snacks basic ie pizza slice, hotdog, small tub of ice cream. I did not find this an issue. Meal times were fine and there was always plenty of food, drinks, soft drinks and wine at lunch and dinner. There was entertainment provided each evening, but I cannot comment on it as I did not sample it.

Free wi-fi is available in the lobby, but was very unreliable and slow. If you need internet you can buy it from reception for €3 for 24hrs. This is available throughout the hotel, not just the lobby, apart from it not working for a couple of days it was acceptable speed for emails, basic internet use.

There are always some downsides but for each individual they have different degree of importance. Comments had been made about the sun beds, this was my biggest issue, unless you got up at 7am sun beds were "taken" even though there is a sign to say no reserve. Not done this type of holiday before and it is very annoying as some people didn't emerge until pm. Do not know what the answer is, particularly where the hotel is away from the beach. The hotel said it is like this all through the season.

Food was plentiful and generally well prepared, if you like the same things everyday then that is ok, there was little variety and was a bit bland to my taste, the staff however were very efficient and was well organised. The salads were very good and there was always a vegetarian choice.

The pool was clean and and very nice, the main pool was quite deep, 1.5 m to 2.7m and I spoke to someone with small children who said that the children's pool was too deep for her 2 yr old.

There was poolside music on during the day which varied in volume from background to very loud, the loop of songs repeated approx twice a day so it got very boring! Poolside entertainment was provided, did not appeal to my 16 & 18 yr old sons, but was popular with younger children.

Albufeura has far more to offer, we went out a couple of evenings to relieve the sameness of the hotel food, will not do all inclusive again in a place like this where there is so much going on and so many places to eat and drink.

I would not put anyone off booking this hotel and the package we were on, I would do all inclusive again, but probably somewhere were there was little to do outside the hotel, someone I spoke to suggested Tunisia or Turkey. If I came back to this area again bed and breakfast would be my choice.

I would book this hotel again in the future as it is well run, clean and in a good location I just wouldn't do all inclusive here. Hope this was usefulness to you all.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark B

Dear Mark B,

Thank you for your preference and for your feedback about your recent stay at Luna Miramar.
We are glad you had an overall good experience at the hotel

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Hi we went to this hotel July 2014 myself husband two kids and also another family of four! Upon arrival reception staff are lovely and very helpful. Reception is nice and modern like most people have mentioned. We had a room overlooking the pool area on the second floor and our friends were one door away so we had a good position! Staff made beds and changed towels everyday so can't fault that and they were very friendly . Food was what I thought it would be a bit repetitive but still nice we ate out three times down the old town which I would recommend it had a great vibe lots of things going on for kids I.e street performers with puppet shows , balloon making ect. The down side to the hotel is that there wasn't another sun loungers ! We woke up on the first morning at 7.ooam to find towels on every lounger even though it stated on many posters that this was not allowed so found ourselves without a lounger for the morning! Many other holiday makers also expressed there anger at this and spoke to the manager which seemed to fall on deaf ears! So the next morning we set alarms and also put our towels down every morning and we had loungers for the rest of the holiday. It's stated as a four star I would say inbetween a three and a four as it looks like parts of it have been updated but not others I would say the pool bar needs work! Having said all that had an excellent holiday and great company. This hotel has mixed reviews so on reading them before I went I didn't know what to expect I would say were easy going people and we enjoyed our hols! .

2  Thank Goodsoul80

Dear Stephen B,

We are glad you had an overall good experience at the hotel

Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Luna Miramar reception area is stunning and very impressed as we walked through the main doors. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly face and checked in quickly. Our room was over looking the pool and with a sea view. The rooms are spacious and kept well they have modern furnishings and the maids attended to our room everyday.

The food was okay however a little more choice may benefit the hotel, the bread was fresh and lovely however covering it with a cloth to keep horrid flies at bay may have been an idea as I have seen this in other hotels. I found food choice it a little more difficult being a vegetarian however they did have a few vegetarian options. The food was repetitive but a good section for the meat and fish eater.

The pool was lovely and enjoyed very much however surrounding sunbeds were an issue. The area surrounding the pool is quite small placing a limitation on sunbeds and we found if you were not up and at a sunbed by 7:30am they were all taken. This was the only negative I could find with this hotel as everything else was a pleasure to experience.

The bar offered plenty to drink and the cocktails were lovely may I say try the pink butterfly it was a favourite this offered on all incl too. The bar guy was very friendly as were all staff here.

Days out: There is a small train/bus from outside at the supermarket (four euro offers all day travel) the train travels to the old/new town and the beach which was stunning. there is also an option of the hotel bus however only runs certain times but a lovely option as it is free.

I would recommend this hotel as our stay was a pleasure .....we did not want to leave....we had a lovely stay :)

Room Tip: Ask your holiday provider for sea room