“great place”

Muthu Clube Praia da Oura
Ranked #80 of 152 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 12 May 2014

THE hotel itself was very good, entertainment poor, and our apartment wasn't the best. The hotel is being upgraded, but felt disappointed with our place. The hotel where it was situated was fantastic. The location couldn't of been better. Will definetly stay there again if the rooms are being redone

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
Petchey L, Manager at Muthu Clube Praia da Oura, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy that you mention the great location of our hotel.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience you had due to the noise from works to some of our rooms.

All efforts were being made to minimize disruption to client’s holiday enjoyment.

We appreciate your valuable support and trust that you will be delighted with the new standard of apartments we will be offering shortly.

We hope you will give us the opportunity of serving you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,446)

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Excellent hotel. Well within staggering distance of "the strip". The pool is nice like, apart from a stag trip that was there. Swearing, hitting each other with beach balls, drinking, swearing, drinking, etc. What a bunch of absolute alcoholics. Blimey. So loud and brash. Anyway apart from that the hotel is good minus the building work. Recommended.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Spydymanx
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here a couple of years ago and our only criticism was the need for Air a Conditioning.
A complete refurbishment is under way including Air Con and we were in one of the new Air Conditioned one bedroom apartments and it was simply superb.
I knew if Air Con was installed it would just be great and it was. The apartment was very well equipped and beautiful. My only slight criticism is to install a couple of Table Lamps in the bedroom and one in the living area to give a soft light after dark and this is really looking for a minute criticism. Well done Muthu Group for making very good apartments great.

Room Tip: One bedroom sea view block E
5  Thank RIPMAXRAPIER
Petchey L, Manager at Muthu Clube Praia da Oura, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We are so glad you like the renovated rooms and think they are ‘simply superb’, well equipped and beautiful. Thank for your suggestion with regards to the lamps.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back to Clube Praia da Oura.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

just got back from portugal having had to move from this hotel to another,the sea view room we booked had a sea view but you had to walk around a corner to view it.The mattresses fell off the beds when you even just sat on it.It took 10 mins of walking up and down stairs,hills and cobbles to get from reception to room.there was construction all around,above and below and the noise was awful.do not go there!

Room Tip: just don't go there
3  Thank barth0l0mew

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the comments placed on Trip Advisor.

With a view to improving accommodation quality, the resort has currently undergone complete refurbishment improvements to some rooms and we apologize for any inconvenienced you experienced during your stay due to the noise on site.

Works are normally carried out during the winter months but due to the bad weather we experienced this year they went on into spring time.

We are happy to say that heavy noisy work has now finished and the crane has been removed. However, during that period all efforts were made to minimize disruption to clients’ holiday enjoyment and guest were allocated as far away as possible from the working area. Unfortunately it is not easy to satisfy all of the people all of the time.

We are happy to mention that some of the apartments are already finished and guests are already enjoying the elegance, comfort and convenience from the stylish designs of the new rooms. We have also introduced luxurious garden furniture that is spread throughout the lush gardens, so that guests can relax and enjoy their holiday in comfort.

Your kind words on the services received from our staff will definitely be passed on to the team members.

We once again apologize for the inconvenience and wish to welcome you back very soon in the near future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is a copy of a of a CPO feed back application sent 11/05/20014.
The work is on going please, please, check it out before getting their.I have heard of people being placed in another Hotel away from beach etc. Most of B and C Blocks are under refebe. and yes work starts at 8.00 and finishes at 8.00pm

To Whom it may concern.!!!!!!
As me and my friend arrived at CPO 9 o'clock Saturday night, ONLY TO BE TOLD THAT I COULD NOT STAY IN MY APARTMENT.!!!!!
I had a phone call on Thursday the 24/04/2014 to mention that their MAY be some disturbance with upgrading.
This like so many times before we are not informed of work, disruption and what turns out to be a total mind blowing experience to start what one thinks is going to be a relaxing time.
I was very angry to say the least, the staff did their up most to accommodate me to an apartment that we were able to use.
I had a meeting with a member of staff on the Monday, mentioned that the contract for the holiday was that apartment, she said she would look into it.
the following day (Tuesday) had another meeting with 2 members of staff, only to have the original contract quoted.
Which basically says THAT THEY do what every you like to use with no remorse
or the need to compensate,
The whole experience with the time share/CPO has been one of fobbed off until i get fed up with complaining. Then to add insult to injury
BY offering me another week to compensate (this still would cost me £300 + for flight etc..)
Do I want another week from hell. I don’t thinks so. (Never any monetary compensation only things that do not cost to themselves any thing)
I have had many problems over the years with this time share
I NOW FIND THAT THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET ANY RELEASE FROM THIS IS BY SPENDING £++++.00 MORE WITH YOU JUST SO THAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO RELEASE MY SELF FROM WHAT WAS SOLD TO ME AS AN INVESTMENT, BUT FOR YEARS NOW WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS HAS BECOME A MILL STONE AROUND MY NECK!!!!!!!
What more can I add, the fact that the people at the top do not really care what happens to the guests, only the money the is produced.
You should thank you Staff for the great job they do trying to hold it together.
Mr W.
Ps A response to this would be good but I will not hold my breath!!!!!
I wiil post the responce IF I get one

Room Tip: At the moment I do not think their is a quite area, Even K block at the front was under repair, I kn...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Wilf A
Petchey L, Manager at Muthu Clube Praia da Oura, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to write a comment regarding your stay with us. We have read your comments about the hotel land we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, as our guests satisfactions is our main priority.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience you experienced for not being able to stay in your apartment.

As explained, the reason for you not being able to occupy your apartment was due to work going on in the upgrading of a number of rooms, with a view to improve the quality of our apartments. This has been requested by many owners over the years. During this work owners are accommodated in an apartment of the same or superior standard.

We are happy to mention that some of the apartments are already finished and guests are already enjoying the elegance, comfort and convenience from the stylish designs of the new rooms. We have also introduced luxurious garden furniture that is spread throughout our beautiful gardens, so that guests can relax in comfort.

With regards to your timeshare, we will address your concerns with the respective department.

Once again we apologize for the inconvenience this caused you and hope you will give us the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Conclusion
My wife and I have just returned from 4 nights and don't think we would return to CPO. It does have some plus points which cannot and should not be ignored, but unfortunately we found there to be too many negatives to outweigh those positives and I am purposely not considering the works that were going on during our stay as I was aware of this at the time we booked. If you want to hear more, please read on.

My wife and I are in our early thirties, travel as often as we can (but not nearly often enough). We were looking for a cheap getaway with guaranteed weather that wasn't too far from home. Having considered Spain and Portugal as our best options and having spent a fair amount of time in Spain we decided to give the Algarve a go, my wife having never been and myself only having been once for a similarly short period and to play golf, some 10 years ago. Enough about us.

On arrival at Faro airport we were collected by Yellowfish Transfers who we would highly recommend and taken straight to the hotel. Their transfers are very efficient, the staff very friendly and they have free wi-fi on board. Oh and they gave us a free bottle of piri-piri sauce. Off to a good start.

On arriving at the hotel, again we were similarly impressed, the reception and piano/lobby bar area are nicely decorated, relatively modern with good amenities. We were very swiftly checked in and the porter carried our luggage to our room whilst showing us the way. What we were greeted with was frankly ridiculous. So much so that the porter looked at us and said "shall I take your bags back to reception?" As I mentioned earlier I was aware of the works being undertaken at the hotel so was expecting some disruption, particularly in terms of noise so were being open minded. However our room was right next door to a room which had been completely gutted, there was dirt, rubbish all over the adjoining terrace and we literally had to walk through rubble to get to our front door. We entered the room purely to call reception to tell them that the room wasn't acceptable. Suffice to say that even without the rubbish on the terrace, the room itself was dreadful. The less said about it the better but two fold up camp beds is not what we were expecting.

Reception were happy to move us, didn't even question it or ask why, which was slightly annoying as it meant that they knew the room was probably not habitable anyway. It was at this time that they advised that there was works going on throughout the hotel and that there would be some disruption. We were prepared for this thanks to TripAdvisor and those who had written reviews on this already. Reception suggested that we should go look at the second room and see whether it was any better. We were advised that it had a south facing balcony and "proper beds". Having got to the room whilst it was in clear need of a refit (there was flaking paint on the walls and 1980's decor) and it again looked as though some works would be going on next door, the room appeared clean and certainly acceptable given that it was a late break and one for which we didn't pay a fortune. We called reception to let them know that we would take this one and that the porter should bring our bags. At this stage I should point out that the hotel seemed terribly under staffed. There was only ever 2 on reception no matter how long the queue got and there only appeared to be 2 porters which given that there are over 1200 rooms, frankly isn't enough. We had to wait over an hour to get our bags which was slightly annoying as we wanted a freshen up before dinner having been travelling all day and arriving at around 8. We therefore didn't get out for dinner until gone 10.

As others pointed out, the workmen are working at the hotel between 8am and 8pm. We never found that it bothered us if I'm honest. We were there to make the most of the weather so were up most mornings relatively early and out for breakfast before settling by the pool for the day. We even managed to have a lazy doze whilst the workmen were drilling and hammering next door one morning after a few too many drinks the night before. I think if you desperately want a lie in on holiday then I wouldn't stay here until the works are finished.

The pool area itself was nice. We were happy that there was always enough sun beds and parasols, the pool area was very clean and the water very refreshing. No complaints at all. Again the work going on and crane around the pool didn't particularly bother us we just blocked it out or listened to our iPod's. The workers tended to have a break between 12:30 and 2pm at which time we could sit on our terrace and have lunch before they started again so that was good.

Main Positive
Location, location, location. Own access to a lovely beach, couple of minutes walk to the strip with access to supermarket and bars/restaurants if that's your thing, or only a 5EUR cab journey to the "old town". The hotel did put on a shuttle to the old town but we felt the departure times were all too early being two in the morning and one in the afternoon. May be ideal if you have a young family though as I think the last shuttle was 4:30. If you're two adults who don't wish to travel in to the old town to eat until 8-9 then 4:30 is way too early to head down there. If they had a final one at 6:30 we think that would suit many more people.

I probably wouldn't return primarily as I think there must be better equipped hotels in the region although it may well be considerably better by the time the refurb has been completed. I wouldn't expect it to be completed any time soon though as there is an awful lot of rooms and there still appears as though not many have been completed to date. I think if you had paid a fair amount of money for a two week holiday there you would ultimately have left disappointed but for us given we were only there for a short stay at a relatively cheap price it just about did the job. 28 degrees the whole time we were there just what the doctor ordered!

Finding 3 cockroaches in our room on our final night means we won't be recommending the CPO to any friends any time soon (I get it that they are common in Spain and Portugal but you still don't expect to see them in your room). Incidentally my wife rated the hotel at a 1/2 whilst myself a 2/3.

Likely to be acceptable for some families and/or groups of young individuals looking to party on the strip, but probably better out there for couples.

7  Thank Tofto
Reviewed 9 May 2014

After reading recent reviews on this hotel, I feel for the first time, that I have to give my views. We have been coming to this hotel twice a year for about 5 years. The staff ( from the reception to the cleaners) have always been as helpful and courteous as possible. Perhaps if you address them politely you will find the same, so no complaints. They are not magicians, and cannot give you what is not available. Next, the rooms. If you only pay for a studio apartment , then expect to get just that - because that is what you have booked. If, like us, you need a bit more space and comfort, then book a one bedroom apartment, and you will not be disappointed . We have always found the rooms to be a bit dated and tired, but very clean, with lots of bed changes and clean towels. The cleaners work very hard to keep things nice, and try not to be too intrusive. Next, the building renovations - this hotel is in a brilliant location for both beach, bars, and supermarket, but has been badly in need of updating . This cannot happen without some disruption. This hotel is a business , and obviously needs to keep up and running to finance this. The builders have been as careful as they can realistically be, but noise and dust cannot be avoided. We found this acceptable because having peeped into some of the almost done rooms, the changes are amazing. Can't wait till October when we return, when who knows - we might get to go in a beautifully renovated room. I hope so.....My advice would be don't let the bad reviews put you off going here...pay for the right size room for you...enjoy the beach and bars if the building works get you down (it's not often constant)...and treat all the staff with some respect, and they will respond likewise. Have a happy holiday as we just have...relax and enjoy all the things that are located so near to this lovely hotel. We have been going on holidays for years, as we are older, and have done the Far East , most of Europe, and the Carribean. This hotel is reasonably priced and in a great location....enjoy...

Room Tip: Look at what you are offered...pay for the right room for you...don't pay for cheapest studio th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple