“Great for the price”

Ranked #144 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great for the price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I spent a week at the Varandas and had a very pleasant stay. The room was very spacious and clean, we got fresh towels every day, the staff were all very nice and helpful, nothing was a bother to them. The location was ideal with the old town and the strip both within walking distance. I had read a lot of negative reviews before going and was very apprehensive but in the end I was pleasantly surprised. I found it to be good value for money. I was self-catering so I cannot comment on the food or the bar and when on holiday I prefer going out exploring the surroundings rather than staying around the hotel. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank LouB1983

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Polish first
Ballymena, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed with a large group for 4 days and it was much better than the reviews on here would lead you to believe.
Rooms were bright and clean. Bar was well stocked and had good service. Food was fine, none of us went hungry.
Pool was clean with plenty of sunbeds.
Hotel is situated about a 15-20 minute walk to both the old town and the strip.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Thoseloudguys
Paignton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Not a great hotel - one of the worst me and my wife have stayed in its a shame to say.
We were on the 6th floor and found that the balcony door would not lock, so we asked to have the lock fixed at reception, and was told that someone would be round later to fix this. Nothing that night, so we mentioned it again, and were told that night - still nothing. Then we followed this up a third time, explaining the importance, and the receptionist said we were being silly and that no-one would break in. Needless to say we left after a week, and the door lock was still not fixed.
The food was very basic, you won't starve, but its not very tasty food. Breakfast was probably the best meal with english sausages.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor probably has the free wireless.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

Falkirk, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Omg heard the song baby think twice, well that's it think twice. This is no way a 4 star hotel. I would give it 2 stars. It's a dump in the sun ok for hen & stag parties but definitely no good for a romantic or relaxing break. The rooms are clean to a degree but very old and shabby. The food well it's time Gordon Ramsay went in and gave the food & dinning room a make-over. As for all inclusive they are a law unto themselves with that one. You wear a blue band stating all inclusive but your not. Albufeira is beautiful lots to see and do next time I will pick a better hotel you bet !

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janice C
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I arrived with my husband on the 10th May for two weeks and straight away my heart sank. 4* my eye, even 1 is too much. It was dirty and old with broken furniture.The first night our curtains fell down. The food was disgusting and cold and the same every day.the restaurant ha ha was more like a works canteen.It was disgusting. We had to go out to eat after paying all inclusive, its not what you expect for a 4*. The staff were not the happiest I've seen. Myself and another guest ended up ill because of the food and when she complained she was swore at and told to eat elsewhere.Disgraceful!!!!!There was not enough sun beds only 25 when we arrived for 72 rooms. Thank goodness we met nice people it kept us sane.Worst hotel EVER!!!!!!! Don't go there its awful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank morag b
Sunderland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I arrived with my friend for a week in the sun which we had waited for since October 2013. The hotel was very old and tired looking, could do with a lick of paint and new furniture. Our room was shabby to say the least and not what we expected...... or paid for. Bathroom had broken floor tiles and a shower from the stone age. We checked the beds to find they had been changed and looked okay. But the curtains were having off the curtain rails and not at all easy to pull together. The food was very basic with a strange mix of items together, but everything was covered with oil. Breakfast was toast with jam or fruit which was oranges or pineapple. There was what looked like bacon and sausages but again covered in oil. Microwave near the counter to "heat up your food" before eating. No thanks !! It took a while to find things needed for making your toast each morning as the butter etc was not where you would expect to find it. A bit confusing really. Very few members of staff around to ask for help, and those that were there were miserable. The pool area had cockroaches as did the curtains in the dining area which could be clearly seen. The meals were the same each day with a touch of the "bush tucker trials" when trying to find out what the meat actually was...... a nightmare. Loads of hen party situations throughout our stay and very loud singing with reception saying they could do nothing about it. I know the hens were there to have a good time as were we, but the fact that they got the holiday for £150.00 and we paid £400.00 for ours was a disgrace. We couldn't be moved to another room according to the staff as the hotel was full...with more hens I suppose? We heard from another guest that a taxi driver told her our hotel was for "skanks" and hen weekends. Well I wish I had known that before I spent my hard earned cash on a week in the Varandas de Albufeira. Please don't waste your money.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank 456Jan
Hull, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

stayed at this hotel from 9-16 may it was ok for the price we paid although i dont think it deserves its 4 star rating. The rooms are basic but clean we stayed all inclusive but there was a kettle and other kitchen appliances in the room which is a godsend when you wake up at 6 in the morning and cant get a drink from anywhere,the place is under staffed so the staff can look a bit miserable but considering that especially in an afternoon ONE member of staff is running the bar,taking food orders,and keeping the pool area tidy (thanks pedro) its understandable.The food was ok , a bit repetative but always something to eat.its quite a walk to anywhere (beach,strip,old town)but a small train/bus takes you all over from outside the shopping centre about 2 mins walk away, also a taxi rank there. The hotel has no entertainment at all.It can be a bit busy when hens and stags are in(weekends usually) but its that kind of place. All in all dont expect too much but enjoy the sun

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stephen K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
Hotel Paraiso de Albufeira
Real Bellavista Hotel & Spa
Real Bellavista Hotel & Spa
#44 of 163 in Albufeira
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,866 reviews

Been to Varandas de Albufeira? Share your experiences!