“Superb - luxurious, gorgeous, fantastic hotel”

EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
Ranked #2 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed at the Epic Sana Algarve to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The hotel staff were amazing and made the celebration even more special. The attention to detail and service was fantastic. This is the best 5 star hotel I have ever stayed in.

The rooms are large, beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. The whole hotel has a glamorous boutique feel with stunning furniture and set in gorgeous gardens. I would highly recommend and will definitely come back!

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed at the Epic Sana from 5th-12th September 2013. We read trip advisor reviews prior to our stay, so our expectations were very high. We were certainly not disappointed, the hotel and surroundings are exceptionally beautiful and the hotel is well designed so as to blend in with the lovely natural surroundings.
All the staff are extremely professional and attentive, and there is an air of calmness throughout the hotel. The nearby beach is a must-visit, but the pool area is so well-equipped that it is hard to decide where to be!
Rooms are large and very well-appointed, and the sound proofing is excellent. We had an ocean view room and felt it was worth paying the supplement for the breath taking view.
We enjoyed being able to eat outside both at breakfast and for evening meals, and the pool bar offered a value- for- money option for lunch. (You don't even have to leave your sunbed if you don't want to - the staff are happy to bring your snacks and drinks to you).
If you can tear yourself away from the hotel, the nearby square offers a range of eating/drinking establishments and a small supermarket.
All in all, Epic Sana lives up to its 5* rating.
Mel and Carol

Room Tip: All rooms seem really good, but the view from the ocean view rooms is spectacular
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

So it's day 1 at the Epic Sana. So far so good. Very good staff. Guests create the atmosphere. Aren't many Brits and the ones that are here - like us - are very cool calm and collected. There is more calm in this location. Hardly any clubs around but enough choice of restaurants and such. Hotel staff is very 5 star. Walk to beach is scenic. Beach is busy at the moment. Rooms are immaculate with luxurious fixtures and fittings. Pillows are soft so bring a firm one if like my husband you need one. Resort view room is fine but if you're really fussed then pay the extra for a pool or ocean view. Resort view looks out from the entrance of the hotel onto the VAST greenery. Wow. If you like strolls and runs you'll be very happy. The nature and design combined make this place a very serene and pleasing experience so far. The inside pool is shallow and warm. The seating is plenty everywhere. Many pools to choose from. No bed hogging going on here. It's not busy anymore. Arrived 30/08/13. 24 hours here have been very pleasing. Breakfast is very varied. Can't complain. If I wanted an ocean view then I'd pay for it. At the moment we are spending our time outside not in the room to appreciate any view. Off to the gym now which is just fine. I'll take my own yoga mat with me and there's enough floor space to do your own thing with music videos on the plasma. Top tip: pop over to the supermarket and buy some supplies for your room. I was underwhelmed with the pool cafe lunch. Others seem to be LOVING it. Drinks and pool staff are excellent though. Excellent! All in all I'm so pleased I ignored the negative reviews. So far so good ...
S.Desai

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Serena D
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here with our children aged 5 and 8 months. We initially booked for two nights as a treat. Upon arrival at this hotel we were stunned! It is beautiful, absolutely gorgeous. Upon arrival our car keys were taken, our luggage taken out of the car for us and taken to our room. Check in was friendly and we were given complimentary cocktails. We were taken to our room which was a one bedroomed apartment. It was outstanding! The best hotel room I have ever stayed in and the bathrooms (yes there were two bathrooms) were beautiful. We then went for a look around the hotel areas. We could see we were going to be happy here! The pool areas were immaculate with fresh towels rolled up on the beds each day. My daughter went to the kids club which she enjoyed and the kids play area is great. The baby/toddler pools would be great for toddlers and were very warm.

We loved it so much that we actually went back for another four nights at the end of our holiday.

The staff at this hotel were so friendly and helpful and we particularly liked a young polish girl who worked in the restaurant and the check in manager (i think she was called Carmena). Nothing was too much trouble. The breakfasts were excellent as were the evening meals in the buffet restaurants. We stayed half board and would recommend this. I'm a vegetarian and sometimes there was limited choice but if I mentioned this to the staff they had the chef prepare me something and I have to say all meals were very good. My partner loved all of the meat and fish dishes and the puddings! The staff were great with my daughter and would make her special ice creams for dessert.

The only downside to this hotel is that there isn't much going on. I think they would benefit from a kids disco in the evening and also some music in the (beautiful) bar at night including the outdoor areas. Maybe even live singers as these areas were very quiet.

This hotel is great for a short stay but I think you would become bored after a week but then it has just opened so maybe next year it will have more of an atmosphere. Anyway we loved it and if you are lucky enough to go I'm sure you will too!!

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank TracyKitten
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Reading reviews, we knew the Epic Sana was quite new and might have some kinks. But overall, we found the staff to be amazing, our room and the grounds beautiful, lots of very modern conveniences (like bluetooth for in-room music), great access to the beach and lovely breakfast. The hotel is so new, Google Maps couldn't locate it and somehow took us to Villamuera. My phone was dying and we were a bit anxious. I called the hotel and Elsa at the front desk stayed on the phone with me and directed us to the hotel, which was so great, considering that while Villamuera is a close walk along the beach, it's a round-about drive. But Elsa, Lisa, Victor and Felipe at the front desk were all fantastic - so personable and helpful. The hotel is in a very quiet location, so you need to drive or take a cab for any nightlife. We took a cab into Albufeira one night and it was crazy! Highly recommend. We didn't go to the Marina or Olhos d'Agua for dinner, but had we been there longer, would have. The hotel has 2 great hip bars and a lovely restaurant by the pool, but because it's still very new and there were so many families there when we were staying, they were all pretty quiet. So, you definitely want to go out in the evenings. There are a few casual spots right near by. Highly recommend Pizzeria Falesia - great pizza, very nice staff. We had an oceanview room and stopped at the grocery store across the street each day and picked up wine and snacks and had a lovely happy hour on our balcony overlooking the beautiful cliffs and water. Hoping the hotel finds the crowd who will appreciate all of its facilities and that more Americans discover this fantastic spot - both the Epic Sana and the Algarve! We were the only Americans at the hotel (and only 2nd ones to visit) and everyone kept asking how we found it. Hoping more find it - it's a great treasure and we can't wait to go back and will definitely stay longer on our next visit!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room and highly recommend - views are fantastic!
3  Thank GMM0
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and i visited the epic sana algarve hotel for a 1 week vacation in August this year. So let's start with the positives...brand new hotel, great room, 5 star facilities, everything was new and shiney! Portugal is lovely, would recommend visits to Vilamoura, central Alberferia! However, that is where the good news stops. On the first day our air conditioning wasn't working properly then the water turned off in the hotel whilst my husband was showering. That night we went to the hotel buffet with one bottle of wine - £100 euros ! In the restaurant it was like faulty towers as the staff kept dropping glasses, bottles, plates ! The dinners are Luke warm as the plates are cold and heating units poor. The waiters top up water on tables instead of serving people. Following day at the pool the at pool service was non existent. The epic disaster continued as our room was mostly cleaned at 6pm +. We often had to wait outside whilst the room was being finished! So overall, a 5 star hotel but their first trimester with a full occupancy meant they struggled to give 5 star service. If you are used to 4 seasons service don't go to the Epic Sana for a few years until they have gone the hang of running a 5 star hotel at full occupancy. Note - the location of this hotel is in a v v quiet resort (5 bars/restaurants). To be honest I think this hotel mostly caters for portugese not English.

1  Thank katharine4444
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We spent a week at the Epic Sana in Early August, just my husband and I. It was my first visit to Portugal. We booked quite late and on never knows quite what to expect but we were not disappointed, despite all the superlatives in other reviews. As a brand new hotel, everything was spotless, everything worked and the design of the rooms and hotel were well-thought out and tasteful. There was a lovely 'exclusive' atmosphere. We opted for a resort view room and could not work out why anyone would pay extra for a pool/ocean view room. There was bluetooth in the rooms so you could have your own music playing while you relaxed and the tv service had a well-judged selection of channels. All the views as far as we could see were at least pleasant, if not spectacular. The location of the hotel is perfect. I should say we are not fans of anglicised resorts but if we were, Albufeira which we visited on one occasion, would have satisfied us. I had read that Vilamoura was worth a visit. We were easily able to walk there along the beach all the way. To be honest, once we had experienced the atmostphere at the Epic Sana, the atmosphere in Vilamoura seemed several steps down, despite the marina and the obvious evidence of wealthy clientele. The staff at the hotel were extremely attentive and pleasant. Nothing was too much trouble. I really can't fault it. Picking up on some of the issues others have written about....We went in August and the hotel was nearly at capacity we think. Areas, like the bar were always deserted, however but you could relax in the evening in an area outside the bar where the atmosphere was very convivial. Not much entertainment at the moment so if you are a Knees Up Mother Brown kind of person, this is not your sort of hotel. We did have some lovely solo performers who serenaded us at dinner and on Friday, a 70 piece orchestra gave a concert by the pool - so yes, classy! The beach is only 5 minutes away and again, could not fault it. it is 15 Euros for a pair of sunloungers and a canopy which, if you are staying all day, is not too bad. The hotel is building its own private access to the beach which will be another amazing facility for this excellent hotel. Once word gets, I think Epic Sana will be booked solid. We would certainly love to return in the future. Downsides: cost of room service - but this is not exclusive to Epic Sana - and our eyes stood on stalks a little when we were billed 15 Euros for an irish coffee which my husband had after dinner. My Americano was only 2 Euros. Water: 4 Euros so buy at the little shops just outside the hotel. Oh - good food too, something for everyone and if you like fish you will be in heaven. My husband is not too keen but there was plenty of other dishes to tempt him. We didn't bother to pay extra to eat in the more exclusive restaurants but if you do not like self service / buffet style, this is something you could do. Plenty of children at this resort and it was lovely to see them all finding friends from all over Europe and playing together. Excellent holiday - and mainly due to the fact that we treated ourselves to this beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: We chose a resort room, were on 4th floor overlooking entrance - don't know why one would pay mo...
2  Thank Angie C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort
Conrad Algarve
#1 of 14 in Almancil
Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort
Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa

Been to EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel? Share your experiences!