“Good experience @Epic Sana”

EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
Ranked #2 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
“Good experience @Epic Sana”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

First thing I remember is that staffs were very friendly with us.
Secondly, rooms were clean and the amenities provided sufficiently. Teas and coffee in your room (Everything was up to 5 hotel standards, except minor things needed finishing touch)
They have very nice buffet breakfast. Pleasant atmosphere..

We didn't try F&B outlets at the hotel but rather preferred to try out the local restaurants. You can walk to this street where all the restaurants at; they have nice food at very cheap prices

Those who are looking for a hotel that is right by the seaside, Epic Sana is a little bit away from the sea (within 5 min walking distance)

Overall, we were satisfied with their hospitality and the quality of service!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Blackpool
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was our second visit to Epic Sana and it more than exceeded our original assessment. We stayed in a fabulous room overlooking the sea and the splendid pool. The staff at this hotel goes out of their way to make you feel very special and Margherita on the reception staff especially looked after us very well .

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are stunning
1 Thank jeannie459
Ireland
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights in a one bedroom apartment, really well equipped and spacious. We had a resort view which is disappointing (looking on to the entrance gate). I'd opt for a pool view the next time. Fabulous facilities. Pools and grounds are lovely. Sun loungers very comfortable. Some of the staff could be a little friendlier at times, but overall good service. As you'd expect from a 5 star its expensive to eat and drink there but bars and restaurants very close by the property. I'm not really sure how this resort is trying to position itself. There's a big conference centre, so lots of conferences going on..which feels odd to see people wandering about in suits with briefcases while you're lounging by the pool. Decor wise it feels young and hip boutique style design on a grand scale but the clientele feels a bit older than the design suggests. You kind of get the feeling that the conference guests are prioritised over everyday holiday makers. Will be interesting to see how the resort manifests itself over the next couple of years. For the facilities alone, I'd come back.

Just to note that Bluetooth not working in our room- despite staff coming to figure it out and a number of electrical sockets in apartment 604 also not working. When ordering a taxi from reception specify a metered taxi otherwise they'll order you a car service which charge double local rates.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Lisbon - Portugal
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I had a ten-day stay in this hotel with girlfriend and our 4 years old daughter.
I agree with the overall experiences of other travellers on this website in what concerns the facilities although there were some aspects that did not please me.
The hotel has three restaurants but we only tried two, as the gourmet restaurant called Al Quimia was off limits for our daughter.
Breakfast was served at the restaurant Abyad. The buffet was … Ok and it had a fountain of chocolate to pour over strawberries, that so much intrigued our daughter. Service was not quite what one expects from a five star hotel. Servers were often young and/or untrained. Even if we always took breakfast early when the room was almost empty, servers were not always attentive with our coffee refills or removing our empty plates. I noticed some talking between servers distracting them from what should be their tasks.
We also dined twice at the Abyad. Same remarks concerning the service. They have themed buffets every night. The buffet is correct in what concerns variety and presentation but I would not call it outstanding. It costs 34 Euro per person (drinks excluded) which I deem expensive for the overall experience. Difficult to understand why our daughter was charged 17 Euro. As any other four years old child, she hardly eats more than a soup of veggies and a small portion of pasta.
The good news is there are several restaurants outside the hotel. We ate several times at the local pizzeria and another one called “Floresta da Falésia”. Expect very good food and decent service for one third of the price you would pay at the Abyad. Those restaurants also have a take away service, which may come in hand for guests staying in the resort suits. In front of the hotel‘s Kids club, there is an almost unnoticed gate that is opened with the room card key and makes it much more easy to reach the restaurants.
We used to have lunch at the Open deck restaurant of the hotel, right next to the main swimming pools. This is an extremely pleasant venue with a good variety of salads and sandwiches. Service was prompt. Portions were rather huge for our liking. So was the amount to pay.
There are two bars but they lack ambiance and customers. I went to the Epic Bar one night. I was the only client inside the room. I asked for a drink. It was brought moments later without smiles or any other kind warm attention. The usual nuts or snacks that any other bar in such an establishment would provide were also missing.
We had a sea view room (345) in the main building. In fact I would call it a forest view room since we only got to see a small strap of the sea further away from the pine trees that were in front of the room. It was however a very pleasant and relaxing landscape. The room was modern and very pleasantly decorated, as was the rest of the hotel. Five major drawbacks however:
• The bathtub is extremely stylish but needless. As it is positioned in the middle of the room it takes a lot of space.
• The balconies lack privacy. In between balconies there are wooden stripes arranged in such way that whenever you are in a stand up position you can see your neighbor’s feet. But the worst happens as sound insulation is concerned. Inside the room with windows shut everything is fine, but I experienced some difficulty concentrating on my reading while laying on the balcony, so wide was the assortment of voices coming from nearby balconies: An untraceable child’s voice coming from the left, cried over an ice cream not having been granted minutes earlier; An amused trachea broadcasted laughter and small phrases in Russian over a cell phone, right from the balcony on my right side, to as far as Moscow. But embarrassment lurks if you open the sliding glass door that separates your room and balcony. When that happens, every single sound inside the room can be heard by neighbors in other balconies. On another occasion my tablet nearly fell off my hands out of astonishment, as my ears deciphered an all but murmuring voluptuousness coming from I don’t know exactly where.
• There were no ashtrays. Not a problem for me as I am an adamant non smoker, however there were cigarette butts tossed over the railing and laying on the grass in front of the balconies.
• My room was serviced just once a day. This is something I have never seen before in a 5 star hotel where the norm is two services. It is not excusable in a hotel of this category and price. I was expecting some more attention to detail. In this hotel, one must not expect to come from dinner and have the lights of the bedside tables turned on, a chocolate on the pillow or even a funny folding of towels. Upon check out I inquired front desk staff about this issue and they seemed lost with answers and overwhelmingly puzzled. They just told me that rooms were serviced during dinner time when they received instructions to do so. Apparently they did never.
• As in other hotels, the prices of the in room bar were ridiculously high. You’ve better ask the made to remove everything from it, go to the nearby supermarket and buy your favourite drinks for a fraction of the price the hotel would charge you.
In what concerns the swimming pools they are all very pleasant, but there are not enough sun loungers and parasols even if the hotel was not working at full capacity. It is true that there are people who reserve sun loungers early in the morning, throwing on them towels and other personal belongings before going to the beach, leaving them unattended for hours. But it is also true that staff is instructed to remove those belongings after half an hour if they are abandoned and they do not do it regularly. As a consequence guests arriving later had to call staff and ask them to provide shades and sitting arrangements, which they always did, as far as I am concerned.
Staff around the swimming pools is rather young and unfit job the job. Two short stories that illustrate it:
• In order to sit another family who was standing further away trying to find a spot to settle, a young member of the pool staff grabbed two heavy sun loungers, put one on top of the other and began to drag them. I was reading close by and heard the young man unwittingly mumble in Portuguese: “I´m beginning to get too old for this”. Tall and well built, I suspect he was not older than twenty.
• Two days in a row, another smiling young staff member around the pool addressed me in English just to ask if I required anything from the bar. It would have been enough for him to take a look at the title of the book I has holding on my hands and realize that I spoke his mother tongue.
These two occurrences are for me the proof that the hotel should provide young staff with training since I suspect they had none apart from their will to please.
The beach is a stone throw away from the main swimming pools. There is a short stroll around the pine trees and a staircase of easy steps. However there are 150 of them. In all other 5 star and some 4 star hotels in the Algarve that I have stayed in, there is concession area on the beach for the hotels’ guests. Not in this hotel, probably because the access had just been completed when we were there. Failure to address this situation next summer will constitute another lacklustre tone.
The kids club was a great advantage for us. Our daughter was always keen to go there, which is a good sign. They do not provide lunch for kids. It is closed from noon to 1:00 AM. It is free of charge unless you want them to serve a snack in between meals.
We did not use the SPA, but my girlfriend asked to be shown around and said it was beautiful. I went there to ask for their list of massages and treatments, but they said that they did not have printed lists. However they sent me one by email upon my requiring. Prices did not seem exaggerated.
One day before departure I found an envelope in my bedroom with a sheet of paper reminding me that check out should be made next day till 12:00. The impersonal tone of the dispatch left me disappointed and it was just to remind me of the obvious. I felt they wanted to get rid of me and make room for someone else to whom they would also empty the pockets. As it is a new hotel, I was expecting for a flyer, to state my impressions and help them to improve what was there to be improved. It had been no shame standing in a humble position and ask for opinions. It would have shown their resolve to improve.
The Sana group is rather new and it has been opening several hotels in Portugal and even abroad in a rather short period of time. Judging by the photos, the overall aspect is excellent and the design of the facilities and venues is in fact splendid. As far as this hotel is concerned, those same qualities apply. However it takes more than first class facilities to be a 5 star hotel. Staff is not properly trained. I know it is difficult for a hotel that just opened its doors to be spotless in every aspect. What I cannot understand is why they practice the same prices of other 5 star hotels in the region, while they still lack the expertise to provide first class services. Two months prior to my arrival, I tried to make the reservation through their website. Room rates including just breakfast for the period I wanted (high season in August) started at around 420 Euros per night for the least expensive category of room. This is what other first class establishments in the Algarve area charge (Vila Vita Hotel, Vila Lara Hotel or even the Quinta do Lago Hotel). But they have been in the market for quite some years, and know how to tackle with clients who require to be treated in accordance with what they pay. Such is not the case with the Epic Sana. Finally I managed to get my reservation some time later through an independent reservation website paying much less. If this was not the case I would have ended up very disappointed with the ratio quality/price.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank José S
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We spent 7 nights at the EPIC SANA and were very impressed. We would definitely plan a return trip. A short distance from the airport and good transfers to and from, and only 3 mins walk to the superb beach, though the pool(s) are great in any case.
The quality of welcome and service from the staff was excellent. Generally across the stay the quality of the hotel, cleanliness and the relaxed but attentive service was just what we needed to get the most from our stay.
It is a "brand new hotel" as of March this year so everything is good (though some elements around the pool - broken tiles in the pool and some decking should be addressed as they imapct the 5 star feeling) and quality of the fixtures, pool water and food was very high - especially the breakfasts and the "Open Deck" restaurant fish.
It was not busy during our stay so always plenty of places at the pool, but there seems to be plenty of beds there in any case !

The bed in the bedrooms are huge and bathrooms and showers are great. Rooms are well insulated for noise and wood finsihes throughout are lovely

Definately a place to come back to !

Room Tip: Floor 3 or above is better for sea views and further away form night time entertainments which could...
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed at the Epic Sana Algarve to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The hotel staff were amazing and made the celebration even more special. The attention to detail and service was fantastic. This is the best 5 star hotel I have ever stayed in.

The rooms are large, beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. The whole hotel has a glamorous boutique feel with stunning furniture and set in gorgeous gardens. I would highly recommend and will definitely come back!

• Stayed September 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed at the Epic Sana from 5th-12th September 2013. We read trip advisor reviews prior to our stay, so our expectations were very high. We were certainly not disappointed, the hotel and surroundings are exceptionally beautiful and the hotel is well designed so as to blend in with the lovely natural surroundings.
All the staff are extremely professional and attentive, and there is an air of calmness throughout the hotel. The nearby beach is a must-visit, but the pool area is so well-equipped that it is hard to decide where to be!
Rooms are large and very well-appointed, and the sound proofing is excellent. We had an ocean view room and felt it was worth paying the supplement for the breath taking view.
We enjoyed being able to eat outside both at breakfast and for evening meals, and the pool bar offered a value- for- money option for lunch. (You don't even have to leave your sunbed if you don't want to - the staff are happy to bring your snacks and drinks to you).
If you can tear yourself away from the hotel, the nearby square offers a range of eating/drinking establishments and a small supermarket.
All in all, Epic Sana lives up to its 5* rating.
Mel and Carol

Room Tip: All rooms seem really good, but the view from the ocean view rooms is spectacular
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort
Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort
Golden Beach by 3HB
Golden Beach by 3HB
#1 of 154 in Albufeira

Been to EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel? Share your experiences!