“Everything about the Epic Sana was excellent”

EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
Ranked #2 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We have just returned from a week in the Epic Sana. This is where to come to relax. Beautiful rooms and grounds. Staff were efficient and friendly. Nothing was too much bother. I look forward to returning. Our Jet2holiday was excellent. Everything from Edinburgh to Praia da Felesia and home again was perfect. Mona T Dumfries. U.K.

Room Tip: We were in a garden apartment. perfect for children.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Mona T
There are newer reviews for EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I spent a week here with my parents and 4 year old daughter in early March. We had a lovely, relaxing holiday.
We experienced none of the issues mentioned by previous reviewers - staff were friendly and attentive, rooms were serviced daily, with an evening turn down, chefs were happy to prepare any dishes we requested. The restaurant staff also gave us a free bottle of bubbly and a cake to celebrate my mother's birthday.
As it was Carnaval weekend (Shrove Tuesday) the hotel provided a range of activities for children, including mask making, family cooking lessons and dressing up. We also visited the nearby town of Loule to see their parade which was a great value day out. If you're going, buy a bag of paper confetti to take with you!
We booked through Jet2 holidays and the half board package, with free child place, was great value. Highly recommended - we'd all love to visit again!

Room Tip: Garden view room was very peaceful, with a lovely view of the second pool area.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Alex L
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I booked this through Secret Escapes.The hotel is only one year old, it is modern, stylish and spotless The hotel and grounds are immaculate.The staff are impeccable and could not be more helpful they take pride in working for this company.The hotel was very quiet which was great for us as we had personal attention the whole time of our stay.In fact we more or less had the place to our selves The wellness center was extremely relaxing with two pools, fitness gym and studio, sauna spa room treatments and lounge. I had a one on one pilates class and my husband had a tired legs massage.They have towels robes and slippers..We also had a tapas workshop with the chef free to hotel guests.The food is to die for and beautifully presented the flavours were wonderful.
My husband and I are both runners and the area is well known for its winter sports camps. On the doorstep is a cross country course and an athletics track. You can run along the cliff top straight from the hotel gardens a challenging 3.5 miles to villamoura the view is stunning.The hotel also hires out mountain bikes.Close by are a few local cafes and bars and a supermarket.
I cannot rate this place highly enough. Definitely an experience I will always remember.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank gwensmith8
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Just returned from a long weekend with my sister.

On arrival, it was obvious we were in a nice area, which was pleasant and spotlessly clean. The hotel grounds were immaculate and of high standard. Inside the hotel seemed ultra modern and staff were highly attentive from the start. I loved the staff's natural linen uniforms and thought immediately how lovely it would be to have your wedding here. That was even before I'd seen the room and the back of the hotel, and I'd been there less than 5 minutes.

The staff were faultless and we were treated like royalty throughout our stay. Any little niggles, and there were only a couple, were dealt with immediately and professionally.

We stayed in a two storey suite, which was like a house and even had a garden. The hotel is brand new and the room was ultra modern with the highest spec fixtures and fittings. I loved the rainfall shower, the massive free standing bath, the big wall mounted TV with bluetooth so we could play music through our phones, and the balcony which had panoramic sliding doors and a peaceful setting.

The hotel was very quiet, being out of season, but that meant we could totally relax and enjoy everything the hotel had to offer.

My sister works in the hotel business and so we were treated to a show-round of the hotel, so we got to see all the different types of rooms, the family section of the hotel and the conference and banqueting facilities. All the bedrooms were to the same high standard as ours so I would not have been disappointed to have stayed in a standard room. I was impressed with the family section, as I have 3 small children - I am planning to return with them as I think they would love it. Children are catered for with a hotel run kids club, a lovely outdoor play area, snacks and ice cream etc and obviously the many pools. I was taken aback by the conference centre which is absolutely huge with removable dividers meaning that the possibilities are endless for events large or small. It was obvious to me that the hotel had a very experienced team of people who are very capable and confident in this area.

The hotel is right next to the beach, accessible down a private wooden staircase. This walk was so pleasant and enjoyable and even the walk back up the steps wasn't hard work, something that surprised me given how many steps there were, but the steps are low and there is a flat 'rest' section after each few steps. The beach was lovely, we were sheltered from any breeze and it was hot enough to sun bathe.

The ultra modern feel extended throughout the hotel. I loved the little sunbathing huts and chairs that were dotted here and there.

You could tell you were in a 5-star plus hotel at mealtimes because the food was exceptional and there was nothing to complain about. We had champagne breakfasts with all the usual choices, but the quality was excellent. One night we ate in the gourmet restaurant and this was a wonderful experience. The wines that had been chosen for us to compliment our meals were fantastic.

On our last day we visited the spa - by far the nicest spa I have ever been to. There were two pools, one downstairs next to the gym and one upstairs where the sauna and steam room are. We tried both out and enjoyed relaxing on the very comfortable pool side beds and in the quiet and tranquil relaxation suite. We both had a lovely full body massage.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for luxury accommodation with service to match. I will definitely be returning.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jayneee
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I came to this hotel looking for a 5-stars experience in the Algarve region. Hotel-wise, it is nice with a clean-modern design that might not appeal to everyone's taste. Staff was very friendly and helpful, as you'd expect from a 5-star hotel.

However, we had some bad experience -

In the spa, I had a facial, which was really a waste of my time and money (it wasn't very professional, to say the least - no manual work but only application of various facial masks) and was eventually refunded.
Dinner was really bad - refunded for one meal (meat was not chewable). Ordered a tuna dish - fish was not very fresh, and the clams it was served with were not fresh and I had to throw up later that night. Even with the dessert - the nuts were sour and stale.

The room is very much -NOT- soundproofed. We were awaken from our sleep in the morning to hear the person in the room above ours walk with heeled shoes, which was really upsetting.

We received a nice room upgrade to have a view as the hotel occupancy was rather empty (off-season).

To sum it up - There is still room for improvement. If you are seeking that "luxury" feeling, perhaps this is not the place (more "modern"/"chic" than luxury)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank WhisperEater
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We choose Epic Sana having read lots of good reviews on Tripadvisor and cannot recommend it highly enough! We visited in early Jan so it was fairly quiet, which was great as we wanted a relaxing break. As others have said the hotel is new, spotless and stylish. It was our first 5 star experience and certainly seemed to tick all the boxes - valet parking, amazing food, lovely spa and gym facilities, turndown service (with chocolates on our pillows and slippers left out for us). We found all of the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. They were always very attentive and more than happy to recommend local places to visit. There were a few things that really stood out as exceptional. The yoga and pilates classes were of a very high standard and as the hotel was quite I had individual tuition many of the days. We attended a cooking class with Head Chef Luís Mourão who then invited us to dine with him that evening, and every evening thereafter greeted us in the restaurant. The fine dining restaurant manager Daniel, hosted a lovely wine tasting evening and was a lovely genuine character throughout our stay. On our final day we missed a cookie making workshop with the pastry chef as we had to leave for our flight. It was a lovely surprise on check-out when we were given a goodie bag with mini cookies and macaroons to make up for missing the class.
A recent review mentioned that there wasn't direct access onto the beach, which isn't correct. There is a walkway from the hotel directly to the beach which only takes about 3 mins, we didn't see this as an issue at all but maybe for people with young children this is more of a hassle. The beach was really quite during our visit and was great for runs and walks.
Overall the hotel made us feel special, we don't know if they just loved us or make everyone feel that way, but it was a great experience!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SineadOL
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Brand new resort with very nice rooms and quite enjoyable public areas. Friendly staff although in need of a little bit more training. Not having a direct exit to the beach is a negative point for all those who want to come and go to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kid-A00
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort
Conrad Algarve
#1 of 14 in Almancil
Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort
Aqua Pedra dos Bicos Design Beach Hotel

Been to EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel? Share your experiences!