“Response to previous review - we love it”

Vidamar Resort Algarve
Ranked #15 of 153 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We are currently here. This is a new hotel and some of the staff are inexperienced, however all of them we have had any dealings with so far have been extremely pleasant and helpful. You do not have to pay €7 to open the safe but you have to pay €7 to open the mini bar. Safe and wifi are free. The rooms are very spacious, clean and well equipped although if you are like me, 5ft 2ins, you will struggle to hang your clothes up in the wardrobe! The pool area is fab and the snack bar has lovely young staff and very reasonable prices. The double bed (I emailed and requested one before we arrived) is huge and extremely comfortable, but the pillows are to soft for me. The shower is the best I've ever experienced in any hotel - I want one at home ! The beach is gorgeous and the beach bar/restaurant (not connected to the hotel) is brill - best vodka and tonic anywhere. 5*, in some ways yes in others no, but with time and a steep learning curve for some staff they will get there

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Lilyrhodes
CardosoJ, General Manager at Vidamar Resort Algarve, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Madam,
Thank you for your time and attention to post your view on our Hotel so far and to respond to the other Guest who has expressed his negative experience during his recent stay with us.
As you are in-house, I obviously would like to have the chance to discuss with you any particular issues or suggestions you may have, so that we can perhaps improve the level of our services.
Again thank you and I look forward to hearing from you, please feel free to ask for me at reception, I would be very happy to meet you.

Joao Cardoso

Write a ReviewReviews (1,045)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is a 3 star hotel at most. Best part of our holiday was the room view.

Staff, in particular at the reception (day time) were grumpy and not very helpful. To give you an example, we asked the reception to call a taxi for us with a baby seat and was informed we need to provide 2 hours notice! Most of the rest of the staff are very unhelpful' inexperienced, and English is very poor. Waiting times for everything is horrendous. My daughter had an accident on our day of departure (got caught in the revolving doors at the reception) and no one came to help or see if she was ok. She is only 2.5 years old. They just stared from the reception at me struggling to stop the doors. Fortunately she was fine.

DO NOT book half board. This is misleading as you are restricted to menu choice and have to pay in other circumstances. We were also advised it was buffet style and on arrival, this was not the case!! Beware! I also had to report to the restaurant manager that one cheif was using the same tongs to handle cooked and raw CHICKEN!

I've stayed in many 5 start hotels and this at most is a 3 star. I echo some of the points raised in other reviews about the restaurants on site, location, spar and pool area. Paid £1850 for a weeks half board for my wife and I, and our daughter. Waste of money. Oh, and did I mention you have it pay 7 euros just to open the safe!

I hope you read this before booking. One of the worst holidays in 20 years. Will definitely not return to this hotel.

Oh, and if the operations manager replies to this (as I'm sure he will), you will remember speaking to me directly about my complaint re-your foods. I stayed in room 423! (3 June to 10 June 2014).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Raymond C
CardosoJ, Manager at Vidamar Resort Algarve, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Sir,
Yes you are correct, here I am to respond to your comments, first of all to thank you for your post regarding your recent stay with us.
I sincerely regret reading the way you feel about our Hotel and the different services we have available. I must say I am very surprised about some of your comments but obviously it is your prerrogative to express your view and, at this point, I can only regret it and apologise for it.
I will not go through the various situations you have mentioned, I can only say that we do appreciate all the comments and posts we receive online and we take all of them seriously; yours is of course not an exception. I believe a in-house Guest has generally responded to your comments and expressed their experience so far.
I am obviously available for any other question you may have and again thank you for your lengthly time to post your holiday experience.

Manager

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Seemingly new resort, very modern decor(could fit into business category), well kept,but under the surface definitely not 5 star. On Friday night arrival, after a very delayed trip, we were warmly welcomed by a young man, who had us at the door. On arriving at the desk where two women were standing, we were told to go to the check in desk, which would seem to be the next desk along, but with no obvious signage. The same man who greeted us at the door then, raced over to check us in. He was great at explaining everything. The niggles did start very quickly though. We arrived at 11.30, 4 hours later than expected, tired and hungry, we were told all 3 restaurants were closed and the Gin bar, which stayed open until 1pm didn't sell food.

Our only option was room service. We arrived at our room, same check in guy said he would bring up luggage. We waited over 30 mins for the luggage to be brought up and having checked out the
Late food menu, was unimpressed. On phoning and asking if they could take out the bacon from one ofthe sandwiches we were told no and actually they didn't have the full menu available.

The room itself was spacious, simple modern decor, a double consisted of two twins pushed together(asked if they actually had any double beds and was told no). Included a sofa bed under TV covering power points, and side table, on the side with no power sockets. We moved it around in the morning. Bathroom, reminded me of private gym, nice and clean. Only niggle, is that there are no tissues provided as standard and so far, 4 days in, our hand soap hasn't been replaced.

So for more niggles, 1.With our late night food order, we used one of the two glasses that were in the room on arrival. This glass was put out with the dirty plates and taken away. We have spent two days trying to get this glass replaced?! We were told that glasses were not allowed in the room, asked housekeeping and they said they don't have them, then finally was brought replacement plastic glasses, then finally glass ones.

2. The plastic cups once used, are not replaced, our tea cup(s) were washed and placed on one of the hand towels to dry. A teaspoon for one of the cups, not replaced. Bottled water, not replaced. Exactly 2 teas/ coffees, sugars, creamers provided.

3. Asked for an iron and board, after 30 mins called up to check it was on its way, after 45mins phoned again and asked if someone could call and let us know when it was being brought. After an hour, I thought to check outside and yes the iron and board was there, but no one had knocked/called to let us know.

4. Took a trip to the sauna - the heat in the swimming pool area is unbearably hot. A fee of €10 is also charged for daily access.

5. There is a massive main pool, on entry at the far end the lining of the pool is coming up, so is lifting from the surface and feels odd when walking on.

6. Entertainment, lacks for adults and geared towards kids.

7. No real communal areas for adults to hang out and socialise. External bars close early and there is a difference in what each bar stocks, which didn't make sense, as one is a swim up and the other close to the pool.

8. Staff do not circulate amongst the sun loungers, past a certain point and a reported spillage on a table was never attended to.

It's not all bad,the positives are that the staff are very friendly and majority helpful, but you feel like you're bothering them for simple things that should be standard in this category hotel. As said on the surface 5 star appearance, but even down to the lack of background music in the eating annexe area, compounds the feeling that this place lacks any real holiday making soul. Food selection is standard for breakfast and good variety for dinner.

Beds are comfortable and black out curtains help to aid a good nights sleep.

Great place for families, most of the clientele at the moment appear to be local families and access to lovely private beach is definitely it's selling point. Curious to see how they operate during a busier time, currently feels as though they are operating on a scaled down service level. Location wise, you'll need bikes/car or taxis as it is some distance from any amenities, shops or restaurants.

Room Tip: Resort view rooms, overlook the car park and golf course further beyond.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kit_Kat_Traveller_73
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Our first experience of the hotel was excellent the reception staff were friendly and informative as was the bell boy who gave us a quick tour of the hotel before taking us to our room. The swimming pools were amazing although the kids pool was very very hot by late afternoon. The beach was beautiful acres of yellow warm sand lovely. The family room was fine. I have seen other reviews which mentioned that there is no separate bathroom in the rooms and this is a little odd. But as a family no problem for us. The rooms are spacious and even the sofa bed was very comfy. We had to ask a couple of times for our sofa bed to made up for my 2 and 4 year old at 9pm but it wasn't that big of a deal for us. What was a big deal was the service in the restaurants it was dismal. The restaurants did not open until 7pm (my kids normally go to bed at 7pm) so dinner started on a bad note. Add non existent service; we poured our own wine, had to walk to the bar to pay for our meal and to get servers attention; a number of starters were forgotten about. Dinner was a nightmare most nights. That said we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and by the end of it made sure to order promptly in the evening and eat quickly after that things went a bit more smoothly for us. I would NOT go back in high season. However I would go back again out of season. A hotel on the up perhaps.

3  Thank Cate B
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Booked a half board (more on that later) package for a family of 4 adults and two children with Jet2 for one week.

RECEPTION
Large impressive reception area. The staff on reception dealt with us swiftly and friendly. Our suitcases were brought to our rooms by a member of staff who also showed us to our rooms explaining where things were situated as we went.

ROOMS

Rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. Furniture is good with a large wardrobe as you enter floor to ceiling height. You probably need to be a six footer to reach the top shelves properly. In the wardrobe is a safe which is free. Also in the wardrobe is the tea/coffee facility which wasn't always replenished and reception had to be contacted. That said the housekeeper was quick to deliver the replacements. Also in the room is a large TV and a sofa bed plus bedside units. There was also a shower room and separate toilet bidet room both having obscured glass doors. These were not visible from the bed as there was a dividing wall on one side of which was the sink unit and hard wired hairdryer. My wife tells me the cord on the hairdryer could do with being a bit longer to make it easier to reach the mirror which was over the sink.
We had a room overlooking the golf course and it was a great view. The sea could also be seen from one end of the balcony. The wall of the balcony is glass and this greatly enhances the view as you can lie on the bed and look out and still have a great view through the glass wall.
There is no information book in the room which I find unusual.

BREAKFAST

The usual sort of breakfast you find in holiday hotels. Hot food including bacon, beans, eggs etc
Continental style.. hams, cheeses, breads, yogurts, fresh fruit, pastries. Also available freshly cooked pancakes and omelettes.
Everything was well laid out.
Everything eaten was very good.

DINNER

Now here is where I have a little gripe but it has nothing to do with the standard of food all of which was very good.
My only concern was that we had booked "half board" but as this was off season the half board option was in the Mamma Mia restaurant which is mentioned on the Jet2 website. This restaurant is an Italian restaurant which I don't mind but the menu is restricted to pasta,pizza or rissotto for your main meal. There are no meat and vegetable dishes on the menu.(You can get meat and salad as a starter). As I said I don't mind Italian food but eating the same thing for a week!!

OK it has to be said there are two other restaurants on site .. a fish restaurant and a Japanese restaurant. We tried both of these and once again the food was very good. If you don't like fish there are meat dishes available.

The hotel does give you a 15 euro credit for adults and a 7.50 euro credit for children to dine in these restaurants which is good but you do end up spending more in these restaurants and this is really my concern. I feel I should not have had any additional dining expenditure as I was on half board.
OK gripe over.
The staff at all restaurants were efficient and very friendly.

We also ate at the poolside bar which was only average. One thing the poolside bar does need is some screening as when we were eating it was windy and was blowing things about a bit. Some sort of screening around the dining area would help alleviate this..

POOLS

Three pools are available one of which is the largest I've seen at any hotel. There is also a small paddling pool and a heated chill out pool which is where everyone congregated. This pool was a perfect depth for my granddaughter to learn to swim. I have to say on occasions I felt the pool was too warm!! The area around the pool is plastic decking and can get hot. There are plenty of 'beds'around the pool. Pool towels can be exchanged by the pool.

BEACH
The beach is accessed by an elevated boarded walkway about 200mts away. The beach is sandy and does have lifeguards.
There are also boardwalks across the dunes and towards the golf course where there is a lagoon which has various birds there (I am told) if you are a twitcher.

GENERAL

The hotel was not very busy at all when we were there so I can not comment on how the hotel operates when it is full. It is a large hotel.

The hotel is pretty isolated although there is a mini market maybe 10 mins away.
A taxi to Albufeira cost around 15 euro for the six of us.

Overall an excellent hotel. The staff are a credit to the hotel.

Room Tip: Golf course view rooms are good. If getting a sea view room I presume these are the top two floors a...
2  Thank Chump57
CardosoJ, Manager at Vidamar Resort Algarve, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for your preference for our Hotel for your recent holiday and for the time to give your feeback on your holiday experience.
We appreciate all your comments and suggestions through your detailed and thorough view of the various aspects in the Hotel. We will certainly look into those specifics.
Regarding dinner, perhaps we were not clear enough explaining that during the absence of the Buffet, we had the Italian "Mamma Mia" for Pastas, Pizzas and Risottos as main courses and the Portuguese restaurant "Sabor a Mar" with a half board menu with two fish & 2 meat dishes as main courses. We apologise for not being clear enough to yourselves on this subject.
Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again in our Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Initially very impressive, grand reception with welcoming staff. We stayed in a self-catering villa/townhouse (3A-8) but although very large/ spacious and well stocked with large open spaces and all very clean - we had some issues (garage access door didn't work, door to our courtyard stuck and eventually meant you couldn't get in and washing machine very temperamental ). After a coupla days getting increasingly frustrated I complained to the very helpful Ops Director who moved us to another villa (3B-5) and this was fine (although the one hour changeover turned into 4 but these things happen we discovered!)

We didn't eat at the hotel (a local , well stocked supermarket , Oceana, is excellent - more a mini-mart than a supermarket. For everything try the Apolonia - 10 mins away, like Waitrose in quality and feel - and price) but speaking to several families heard their experiences were mixed. Despite being no more than a third full ( guess) the service was slow at best. Also if I'm being ultra picky the beach bar was good but a lot of staff standing around but no table service by the pool and didn't appear overly keen on collecting glasses/ coffee cups. Also the heated pool felt (to me) almost dangerously hot in the afternoon once the sun was high (esp for little ones)

All that said we as a family loved it! The setting is stunning, the townhouse very impressive with its own pool and ALOT of space inside. Daily cleaners very helpful and changed bed linen when little ones had overnight "accidents" !

The beach is amazing, pools very impressive and prices for drinks /ice creams not extortionate for a top-end hotel when they know you're a captive audience.

The local area is quiet but things to do (check out zoomarine, amazing!) and hotel staff very helpful with any issues we had and with booking local restaurants etc.

Overall very good indeed and any gripes were addressed. I will return and liked that you had x3 options for daily sunning (beach - clean and walkable, pool - lotsa beds and great pools and ow pool at the townhouse).

Room Tip: All the townhouses have a similar set up and didn't stay at the hotel. As with all ask. The beac...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Graeme M

Dear Sir,
Thank you for choosing our Resort Villas for your recent holiday and for your time to detail your holiday experience in our Resort.
We appreciate all your comments and suggestions and we will certainly look into it in order to obviously improve the service and meet the Guest's expectations.
We hope to be at service in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you again in our Resort.
Again, thank you and best wishes.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Went with sister and her kids..so family friendly, the kids pool is heated/choice of food just right..beach is a short walk and so clean ..cost wise is reasonable for 5* service ..cannot fault
we loved the bar at the side of the pool very glamorous...would go back..staff were very hospitable without being intrusive..5 stars!..

2  Thank nybutler
CardosoJ, Manager at Vidamar Resort Algarve, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our Resort for your recent stay and for your positive feedback on our services and facilities.
We work towards providing our Guests with a memorable experience, either as just a Couple or as a Family, and your positive feedback is an extra incentive for our team to continue and improve their performance and level of service, together with the variety of facilities our Hotel has to offer.
Again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming again in our Resort sometime in the near future.
Warm regards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
Golden Beach by 3HB
Golden Beach by 3HB
#1 of 153 in Albufeira
Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa

Been to Vidamar Resort Algarve? Share your experiences!