“Family Holiday Self Catering in the Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort and Spa”

Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa
Ranked #12 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Northern Ireland
“Family Holiday Self Catering in the Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort and Spa”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We had a truly wonderful holiday, by we have very mixed feelings about the Hotel. I will outline some great, good and poor points for future travellers.

Firstly, I would like to say that the Portuguese people were so welcoming throughout our holiday. The staff in the hotel were very helpful and our self catering accommodation was immaculate. We had daily maid service and the cleaner was meticulous to detail. Towels changed daily, and pool/beach towels available from reception each day, which was great. As a family travelling with 2 children aged 8 and 11 the accommodation was perfect. We chose to book a 2 bedroom apartment for extra space. This was ideal, as it offered 2 bathrooms and showers and was definitely worth the extra money. From our accommodation we had a great view of the pools and garden. Air conditioning can also be altered on a per room basis,

Great pool area. The blue flag public beach in front of the Hotel is wonderful, but you should be aware that there are a considerable number of steps to the beach which is difficult with a buggy or anyone with mobility issues.

We used the Hotel gym on one occasion during the trip. As a runner I brought my gear to avail of the treadmills as I didn't want to run in the heat. However, although the gym had 2 treadmills, both were out of order, which was really disappointing,

The Hotel restaurants are very expensive. Lots of choice at breakfast with great fresh fruit, drinks, pastries, cold meats and breads. However, the cooked breakfast was cold every morning no matter what time we arrived. 1st into the breakfast room on 1 of the mornings, but it was still cold?? Also,if you arrive for breakfast after 9.00 the queue to get into the restaurant is huge. This meant getting out of bed early every morning to miss the queue. Tiring!!!!

A lovely restaurant called Restaurante Martins just outside the gates of the Hotel. Supermarkets are about a 5 minute walk. A beach bar offered reasonably priced snacks, lollies, ice creams and drinks, although these are outside the Hotel. The old town of Albuferiera is about 10 mins in a taxi and roughly 14 euros return. Villamoura was about 20 mins and roughly 30 euros return. The Hotel offers excursions to the Zoo Marine and Waterpark. My sister took her kiddies on the Waterpark trip and felt this was well worth it. Albuferiera is close by in a taxi. We felt it was better to visit Albuferiera in the mornings when it is less busy, as at night time it was packed and too much stress with 2 young kiddies. Getting back to the Hotel late also meant navigating a long taxi queue!!!!

The downside of this Hotel is that the children's animation and entertainment was very poor. We booked the Hotel knowing it was in a quiet location but it boasted entertainment and animation in the marketing materials. We therefore assumed that the Hotel would offer plenty of entertainment. This is not the case. When we arrived we were given a full itinerary of activities. However in reality the activities are so basic and more often didn't run due to lack of numbers. For example, children's disco cancelled due to lack of numbers. Water aerobics never happened. Play park consisted of a climbing frame with no swings, slides, sea saw or equipment for toddlers. The children's club was in a downstairs conference room during our stay which had a few toys at either corners of a room. For a five star hotel, the entertainment is 1 star for adults and children. During out stay the family entertainment consisted of a woeful jazz singer with an awful violin. The Hotel residents seemed to play cards in the lobby. We did buy a pack of cards and played 'Jack Change It' in our room!! Quiet with no atmosphere in the evenings and no reason to stay about the Hotel any evening as a family.

Overall, if you are interested in a quiet, relaxing break, far from the madding crowds, with the assurance of great accommodation, then this is the place for you. However, if you like good entertainment, or the facilities to walk to local amenities, then this Hotel may not tick all the boxes.

I would add that this Hotel has the potential to be exceptional given the right quality of family entertainment to match the brilliant accommodation.

Room Tip: As for a room with a pool view.
3 Thank barravore4
Hoteis_Real_Alg, Manager at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review.

We were happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, but regret that the entertainment did not correspond to your expectations. We do offer a daily entertainment program with several activities for adults and children, and especially the ones with children are very popular, but it can occasionally happen that an activity is cancelled if the number of participants is not high enough. We will however pass your comments on to our Entertainment Manager and will check if anything can be done to attract even more guests or improve our entertainment.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel SPA

Grande Real Santa Eulália

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lichfield
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I have just returned from a 2 week stay in a 'suite' (room 233) and I have to say that this place is not what it once was. Whilst the communal areas of the hotel, the location, the views etc. are probably worthy of 5 stars, the rooms themselves are in dire need of bringing up to date. The food is outstanding, especially the breakfast and the bar and restaurant staff cannot be faulted. However, the staff on Reception were not 5 star and to be brutally honest, I found them a little rude at times. Having been there with my two kids (aged 2 and 9 years old) they wanted to cool down in the room and watch a movie on different occasions. The first time, they fell asleep half way through the first film. The deal was sold on the basis that you are charged 10 euros to your room account for each film, but it is available to watch again and again for 24 hours. So, less than 12 hours after they fell asleep, we tried to put the first movie back on the TV (which is an old-school TV from circa 1988) in the room but it wouldn't work. We had to call a maintenance guy from Reception, who came but couldn't fix it so we went out and just left him to it. My wife complained to Reception that the kids could not finish watching the movie as a result and she agreed to credit the room account. Which we both thought was reasonable. The same thing happened again two nights later. Since my kids don't really want to spend their holidays wishing they could be watching a film instead of a maintenance guy fiddling around with the back of a TV, we took them out again. Again the lady on Reception said she would credit the room account. We did enjoy a couple of other films in the second week of the holiday and were able to watch them both again within the 24 hours, just as the hotel advertises. What really annoyed me was that upon checking our bill on the day of departure, there were two charges for 10 Euros for the two films that the Receptionist had agreed she would credit. It took them over half an hour to agree to remove the charges from the bill, which for room charges alone was well over 500 Euros. My wife and I were treated like we were trying to scam the hotel out of 20 Euros and frankly, I don't expect to be treated like that anywhere, let alone in a place which claims to be worthy of a 5 star rating. Frankly, it ruined our two weeks there, not least because we were left for such a long time whilst the Receptionist was going to and from the closed door behind Reception. I don't expect to go on holiday and be treated like a suspect. If they had merely honoured their offer to begin with, I would have left without such a sour taste in my mouth. It wouldn't be quite so bad if the TV was older than I am.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view.
4 Thank weasel75
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.

First of all, we would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. The pay TV system does not belong to the Hotel, but to an independent company and we need to inform them about any rebates or technical problems, which is why the check-out process took longer than usual. It was certainly not our intention to treat you as a suspect or to keep you waiting. Our Reception Manager will be informed and we assure you that we will do our utmost to avoid similar situations in the future and to improve the communication within and between departments, which apparently caused the situation in the first place.

We are glad that you and your family still have spent an enjoyable time with us and that most services and facilities corresponded to your expectation. Please be assured that we will do our utmost to improve the ones that didn’t and it is a pleasure to inform you that we actually already started with one. We are currently replacing our televisions by new flat screens TV. Being it such a big Resort and with the high occupancies we have had, we were not able to replace all of them yet, but we hope that soon all our rooms will be equipped with flat screens.

We look forward to welcoming you again and remain at your disposal for any assistance you might require.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Excellent staff, especially those working in the kids club and waiting staff at breakfast. The breakfast buffet was excellent, although the rashers and sausages were very different to what we would have at home.
The one bed apartment was ample space for a family of four, with good cooking facilities. The cleaning staff were excellent and the room was cleaned every day to a very high standard (fresh towels and linen every day). However it is very important to security conscious travellers that cleaning staff check they have locked windows and doors.
There were lots of activities every day for children and there was also a lot to do in the local area for a ten and twelve year old.
However although it has its great location NEAR the beach, the hotel has no jurisdiction over the beach and so you have to pay €15 a day (€10 for half day) for 2 sunbeds and one umberella.

2 Thank Maureen O
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read your kind review and how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was especially gratifying to learn how impressed you were with our staff and we will make sure that your comments will be passed on to them.

Thank you very much, also on behalf of our team, for your review and consideration and we look forward to welcoming you back for another lovely stay at the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel SPA.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Currently staying here at this fab hotel, can honestly say that why anyone would give this hotel a poor review is beyond me! I think maybe because it is listed as 5 star people expected much more than they paid for and therein lies the issue if you priced it up against the Sheridan for instance you would be paying twice as much to stay there and on that would get much more of the touches one expects in a 5 star resort! That said this hotel is better than any 4 star uk hotel I've stayed in and better than some 5 star ones abroad!! We have a wonderful sea view suite. The hotel is well appointed with easy access to the beach which is lovely. Good facilities and we have had lovely food in all of the restaurants. Would definitely recommend and we are here peak season!! Oh and it's very very child friendly and safe!!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank rmj080706
Hoteis_Real_Alg, Manager at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review and consideration.

We are very happy that you have spent a perfect time with us and that everything corresponded or even exceeded your expectations.

We really look forward to welcoming you again to the Grande Real Santa Eulália for another enjoyable stay with us.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Seldom has a 5 star attracted so many differing opinions. Don't misunderstand, this hotel and appts are very nice and I am sure you will enjoy your stay (as we, a family of four did) it is just if you have stayed at a good 5 star and similar accommodation you will notice the difference - basically it falls along way short of 5 star in certain areas. My review is objective and is aimed at people who I guess normally stay at 5 star:It is based on good and bad points:

Good points:
Lovely beach next to hotel
Nie hotel - lobby are very nice
nice al a carte restaurant
short flight from UK

Not so good points:
APPTS - quite basic and not many frills that you normally associate with 5 star.
Also the beds were for us attrocious - I thought prior to arriving that maybe there were some moaners (after reading some reviews) who were being fussy however I can confirm that they really are that bad - whoever purchased these needs to take a career review.
Reception: - I fully appreciate that lots of people have reported good reviews of the staff however having looked at the reviews and having stayed there I think it comes down to whether anything goes wrong or not. Yes the saff are perfectly polite when you arrive and when you leave however I can give a couple of examples which left me dumbfounded (and when needs must we have stayed in 3 star and have never experienced this).

Example 1: When we arrived at hotel we noted that there were no chairs with our outside patio table (it is a shared terrace with 2 other appts). When I contacted reception to ask if I could have some chairs I was told that they only had enough chairs for 2 each for the appts and if we wanted to sit outside as a family of four then it was ok with the hotel if I took chairs from other appts and used them. Come on!!
Example 2: there is a system where as half board residents you have the option to use the a la carte restaurant if you provide a voucher, OK and a very nice meal too - you pay for drinks seperately which are expensive. We ate here on 3 nights as the buffet was a quite souless affiar
and left generous tips for the staff who were in the main very good company. However on the 3rd night and being in holiday mode I inadvertantly left my voucher in the appt. When I got up to leave and whilst trying to explain to the waitress who up to that point had been politeness personified that I would nip back and get the voucher I was suddenly surounded by aggressive staff and then the manager who stated I could leave the restaurant without producing the voucher, The fact that they must have known I was half board and staying at the hotel was lost on them and they collectively caused an embarrasing scene which was only resolved when my 12 year old son ran back to the appt to retrieve the voucher. 5 star - give me a break!!
Example 3: Approached reception to book a taxi and was met by 4 staff all gathered around an elderly gentleman - ok no problem I waited for about 30 secs and eventually one young man (Ronaldo lookalike) came over to speak to me . As I was explaining where I wanted to go he became distracted with his previous conversation and turned his back on me and re-joined his original conversation. After another 30 secs he returned to me and asked me what I wanted - he had forgotten what I asked him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5 star no chance

Resort:: Does someone issue Portugese kids with an aerosol can at the age of 14. Albufeira was covered in graffitti. We only went there on 1 morning - would not want to go there with family of an evening - a bit rough and tacky

Meals

Average at best - usual fayre - same mistake made by lots of hotels - trying to keep everyone happy. Why not give fresh fish a go instead of poor impersonations of bacon and egg, We can live without a cooked breakfast for a while you know!!

Buffet: very disappointing - only time I have stayed 5 star without individual chefs or serving of food, It was layed out in platters - a bit like a low key wedding reception.

I could go on but basically this hotel (and area) was a major disappointment. I feel a bit duped by the reviews and in summary would say that if you normally stay in a 3 or 4 star you will probably be impressed by this hotel however if you have stayed at a good 5 star then you will probably still have a good time but will notice that it is a long way short of 5 star.

Sorry hotel - I honestly wanted to be positive but your service alone is well short of the mark - I think it is fine as long as everything is ok - if not they show their real colours.

5 Thank Rob W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We regret that the stay at our Hotel did not correspond entirely to your expectations. It was especially disappointing for us that the main issue was the service, which usually is the point that guests appreciate the most.
Please accept our apologies for the incidents described in your review. This does certainly not correspond to our usual standards of service and we will make sure that the department heads in charge will be informed.

Thank you once again for having shared your feedback with us and be assured that we will do our utmost to improve wherever we can.

We look forward to welcoming you again for a more enjoyable stay and remain at your entire disposal for any assistance you might require.

Lisbon, New Hampshire
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Staff very unfriendly, very incompetent and very snobbish - screaming with the clients, unable to give informations.

Bad insonorization- I could hear the cars on the road and the neighbours snoring.

Lousy decoration.
Only thing very good is the location.

5 Thank Marta P
Dear Guest,

We regret that you were not satisfied with the stay at our Hotel and acknowledged your comments regarding our staff. We were very surprised about the statement that our staff was unfriendly and screamed at clients. Something that we never experienced or ever has been reported before. Nor has any other guest ever commented that he could hear the neighbours sleeping.

We also regret that the decoration of the Hotel didn’t meet your taste, but are glad that you were pleased with our location.

Thank you for your comments which will be taken into consideration and we hope that we will be able to welcome you again to our Resort.

Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We should have been more careful when we booked and noted the large number of suites and family programs. We were there in the first week of July and there seemed to be 1,000 small children. As someone with grown children and grandchildren I remember the days when my children were perfect and should be everywhere. However, if you are looking for a peaceful or romantic vacation, and are our age, then you might want to look elsewhere. So many parents did not care what their children did and also they stay up so late. One evening around 10 pm we were sitting on a romantic terrace having a drink and a snack and a family with three small children showed up. The kids ran around screaming touching things on every table. We move about 50 feet away and the kids just came over to annoy us. We then moved inside as far away as possible and of course they followed us. Dirty looks at the parents were ignored. Staff not helpful in this situation.

Breakfast is a disaster with respect to poorly behaved children. The breakfast food choices were amazing... a huge buffet with so many choices. But again get there before 8:30 or there is usually a long line to get in. If you are a non-smoker ask for an inside table, otherwise expect lots of smokers around you at the outside table.

If you still want to go to this hotel it is on a really beautiful beach. Paula the front office manager is terrific and moved us to a beautiful room with a grassy patio. We spent most of our time in our room, but enjoyed the view and our "romantic lunches and dinners" on our patio overlooking the ocean. Ask for a room on -2, yes "minus 2".

The pools fill with children and their big plastic toys around 9 am so I went swimming around 7 am and it was a magnificent experience with the sun rising. The pools are natural - meaning not heated - so if this is important go when it is nice and sunny.

The spa is quite poor. Only half the jets worked in the big pool and the attendant explained that is why she was only charging 15 euros each and not 30 euros. Huh??? Towels are terrible and you must wear a bathing cap - hair or no hair. Clearly the hotel has let maintenance slide. The TV's are those big things from the 70's or 80's and did not work at all. So clearly the recession has caused management to cut back.

A bucket of ice delivered to the room is 7.5 euros. No other options if you want ice for your drinks.

Beds were hard twin beds pushed together to make a double. We solved this by asking for extra padding from housekeeping.

Fortunately, after a week we found a nice home to rent in nearby Luz at 1/3 of the price with a private pool. I can see why families love this hotel with kid-friendly programs and would definitely recommend it for families, but not for couples seeking some quiet, romantic time.

Room Tip: Ask for room with grassy garden area facing the ocean... level -2
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, but regret that not everything was perfect.
As you mention in your review, we have several facilities for children and specific programmes, which attract many families, mainly during the school holiday season. We however expect that the children have an adequate behaviour and that parents watch their children and we sincerely regret if this did not happen. We recommend contacting immediately our staff if you ever witness inappropriate behaviour from any guest, children or adult, as our staff will be happy to intervene.
We would also like to clarify that the mandatory use of a swimming cap in the treatment pool, the Thalasso Thermal Circuit, is not a rule imposed by the Hotel, but demanded by Portuguese Health and Safety rules. It can have serious repercussions for the Hotel, if a guest does not wear these, which is why we can’t make any exceptions.

Thank you also for your kind comments, especially about Paula, which we will make sure will be passed on to her and we hope that we will be able to welcome you again, maybe during a more quiet time of the year.