“A calm that other hotels should emulate.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa
Ranked #12 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Sydney, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,275 helpful votes
“A calm that other hotels should emulate.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Many establishments claim a lot of superficial benefits that don't include calm,something that this abode exudes in spades. Yes its modern and well equipped 5- star resort on the beach,almost. generous rooms and generous spirit as exhibited by staff and management

The only complaint we had ,is that the kitchen obviously caters to English patrons whose requiem in dietary sustenance lack a wholesomeness that we expect in an establishment of this quality. We did find more Portuguese offerings to our taste.

Our room was high with a lovely outlook,lucky for us,the hotel was not filled with schoolkids .

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hoteis_Real_Alg, Gerente at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,
We are happy that you have had a thoroughly enjoyable stay with us!
Usually our food is praised by the guests but we assure that your comments and suggestions will be taken into consideration and that we will do our utmost to improve wherever we can.
Thank you so much for your review and we look forward to welcome you again very soon.
Jorge Teixeira

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Uk Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Had a really nice stay we had room 119 overlooking a small woodland but there was a side view of the beach. We asked for a nice view quiet room on a low floor and that's exactly what we got. The room was large with a massive bed hat i had no problem sleeping in so not sure why others say they are hard. There was a tv but we never felt the need to watch it. There was a mini fridge (keep key in slot all day else hie fridge goes off ie warm wine) there was also a kettle left but there was no where to plug it it other than the floor no cups left so we took some from the dining room and the cleaners did wash them for us and did not remove them. The room was very clean big bathroom with nice towels and robes the only real issue was the carpet to be fair had seen much better days but thats about the only gripe i have and i am sure if i complained they would have moved us. The breakfast was typical 4 star fair but i did find the full English part a bit cold on some days better to be down early and when its busy the turn round is faster so food lays about less. There was a selection of English and continental inc cava if u fancy 8am tipple !! not for me but i did one day as it was my partners birthday. Talking of that when we went to our room to get ready to go out at evening there was cake and cava with plates and glasses waiting wow i was impressed the cake was lush they must have been spying on us cause it was not there that long before we go to the room. The pubic areas are all stunning and very clean . The pools round the hotel are very small so no good for swimming more like cooling off pools. The heated one was also full of kids most of the time even tho There,s a kids pool. there are 2 more pools within the grounds nr the apartments that seemed very quiet indeed. The pool bar was so expansive we only used it once or twice same with the lobby bar but the views from there are really good. The bar prices was 4.5 euro a pint and 3.5 for half !! that was local larger not import shorts where almost 6 euro each compared to town where a lot of places offer a pint for 2 euros so a big difference. However one tip the beach bar is much cheaper 3 euro for wine and about the same for a pint still dear but cheaper then home and the views where amazing. Over looking the beach the beach is not private a all and there where no sun beds as it was low season not that it bothered us. There is a coat walk over the cliffs from this beach as well pat the hut with the pedalos. Location wise about 15 mins from top of new town 20 min to strip on foot and 45-an hour to old town if your a walker there is not a great deal to see in the area as such. I liked old town but its quite touristy not much culture really. The was no night time nor day time entertainment its all low key at this hotel so if you want to do do nothing then it for you. Cat comment on spa never went but judging by the price i don think many people do. One point i have to make is the staff i really dont bother much with staff at hotels as i rarely need help and to be fir most hotel staff are s happy as we are after all they are at work. However at this hotel i have never met such helpful nice staff ever in any hotel i have been to they are all helpful friendly and polite and bend over backwards to serve an help. 10 out of ten for all the staff. Oh also the food at beach bar was not to badly priced and pretty good quantity for snacks try the pastry with the vanilla filling yummy, All in all this is a good hotel to chill out we never had issues with the free us either as it was low season saying that the weather was in the 90,s sooooo hot. We had a good time although i don think i would return to this part of Portugal unless it was on a good deal as its to touristy, But i cant fault the hotel bar the carpets and bar prices so enjoy. Netto restaurant is recommended stay away from anythin other then Portuguese food as tourist food was rubbish night life is better in old town than new town strip good for 20 something or try wild n co this is a great night with cocktails and rock groups top of strip.

Room Tip: 119 side good views
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your constructive comments and review. It was a real pleasure to read your review and how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for all your compliments to our staff and the details of our service. Small details, big differences is our purpose! We will make sure that your comments will be passed on to our team and, who will be delighted.
Only demanding customers like you allow us to improve our service and continue to exceed expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you again, hopefully soon.
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed in grande real for a week over easter in a suite which was our eighth visit found the hotel to its usual high standards, the televisions in the room have been upgraded to flat screen televisions now. There was extra entertainment on for the children over easter which was good. The breakfast was excellent as always and the evening meal was very good.The staff were very helpful to our needs especially Paula on the reception, the hotel has a very calm atmosphere and caters for families very well. We shall definitely be returning again later in the yea

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ahb71
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the comment.
It’s very rewarding when our guests return to our hotel and enjoy the improvements that we do during the years.
Our main concern is to further every day and offer the best service to our guests.
Comments like yours prove our daily work and our high quality standards.
We are very happy that you pretend to return again and look forward to welcome you again very soon.
Best Regards,
Cleveland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We're here now, in apartment rm 480 towards the back of the resort.

It's clean, spacious and everything works! The apartment suites are a little dated, 14" TV's don't really cut it now! And the decor maybe needs a little updating. The only gripe so far is the beds, the mattresses are rock hard, I can normally sleep on anything, but I woke up with a bad back after the first night so jot a good sign.

It's a good walk out from the main tourist areas, we walked to the old town last night and it was a solid hour walk, and a 7 euro taxi back.

Breakfast in the hotel was plentiful and the pool areas look very nice.

The clientel at the moment seem to be young families or retired folk, so we fall into the minority at the moment, but it may just be the time of year.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the opinion.
It’s great when the guests enjoy our facilities and services.
We regret that the mattresses were not comfortable to you. We are very pleased to inform you that we are currently analyzing the possibility of changing the mattresses
We hope for a new opportunity to welcome you again, hopefully soon.
Kind Regards,
Banbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Having three pre-school sons we have done our fair share of off-peak family holidays over recent years, and up to now have opted for "family friendly" apart-hotels run by a big tour operator. When booking Santa Eulalia we therefore feared our children would fair less well without the usual razzmatazz of water slides, giddy reps and blaring nightly entertainment. We also feared that other hotel residents would fair less well having their tranquillity shattered by three boisterous boys.

On the contrary, this is easily the best family holiday we have ever had. Our two bedroom apartment was spacious and well equipped, with an excellent daily maid service (the obliging maid even did the dishes and folded my nightie when I neglected to do so). The hotel staff were very welcoming, and we never once felt that our children were a burden, even in the restaurant. The baby pools may have been just pools, but never underestimate the appeal of jumping into one repeatedly for a small child, especially when you equip them with a couple of water toys. The highlight was the beach: on the doorstep, golden sands and blissfully quiet! From what I could see it was mainly frequented by hotel guests and locals, and we spent hours there soaking up the atmosphere and sun shine. There were football nets in the gardens outside our apartment, and a park which went down well with the children. A club was available with seemingly excellent facilities, although between the pool and the beach we never felt the need to avail of it.

The evening meals were delicious and I was delighted by the fact that not a pizza or french fry was on offer, forcing my brood to try the many mediterranean dishes. It was simple and delicious cooking, a real culinary adventure. The dishes the chefs created with vegetables were amazing - it's been hard going back to steamed broccoli this week - and the desserts were equally memorable (the boys are still talking about that chocolate and cream cake!) Breakfast was decent, although the traditional cooked variety will always be better at home which is probably as it should be!

How wonderful to have fresh beach towels every day, lightening the packing load. The spa looked amazing with daily discounted treatments which I was unfortunately unable to have. Had I not been pregnant, I would been there like a shot!

My husband and I basked in the peace and quiet, the excellent cuisine and (for me) the utter cleanliness of the place. I will find it very hard to return to a commercial family hotel no matter how tremendous the water slides. It was so refreshing to have a holiday where we didn't feel like tourists, and wasn't just about the children with no detriment to their experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Claire M
Dear Guest,
Thanks for your comments so complete and excited! We loved it!
We always look for the small details to make big differences and our main objective is that the customer feels it. Your review transmit precisely what we want our guests to feel.
It is really overwhelming to see how enjoyable your stay was and that you were pleased with our service and staff.
Thank you also for your detailed description of our services and facilities, but also our localization as well as the services closer. We are sure that these will be greatly appreciated and very helpful for future guests.
Thank you so much for having left your feedback about our Hotel on Tripadvisor and we hope that we will be able to welcome you again for another good time at our Hotel.
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Good things = free wifi! So I can post TA reviews! Also the cleanliness - very clean. And the facilities in the apartments - has everything you'll need, even a kettle! Gardens etc are very attractive. Staff are quite friendly and helpful, better than average, I think. AirCon = very efficient (I'm freezing - and I'm a middle aged woman! We're NEVER cold!)
Bad things = the beds in the apartments are rock hard!! I'm currently waiting for some unfortunate to haul a softer mattress in. Also, the resort seems to be split into 2 halves. The "Haves" who live in luxury in the main hotel building and the "Have Nots" who occupy the self-catering apartments at the rear of the property. Guess where I am??
I see a lot of reviews from families with small children and (having several of the little blighters myself), this is a good place for kids. But I've done my bit for humanity and the sound proofing isn't up to much in the apartments (which is where most families seem to stay). Even as I type, somebody's having a right strop about putting his shoes on.
So, having realised we're in the wrong place, we asked if we could upgrade (paying a supplement) to the Grown Up section (ie the hotel). Sadly, no rooms with a sea view are available so we're stuck in Kiddy Korner. But having said that, the little ones I've spoken to are adorable and we got this break at a reasonable rate with BA anyway. And, I don't think the hotel rooms have tea and coffee making facilities (but I'm not sure) and I like to have tea or coffee in my PJs at any time of the day or night if I want it! Plus the weather is good and the cocktails (and bar staff) are excellent. So there is much to recommend it.
We usually rent a villa when we come to the Algarve anyway, so its probably just the shock of having people around us that is making me enjoy this slightly less than I should.
If I had a comfy bed and slightly quieter neighbours (and a sea view), I'd be in heaven!
I feel slightly mean about the rating - its better than Average, but I'm not sure it rates as Very Good. If the softy mattress turns up, I'll change it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank footballersmum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Just returned from the Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, myself, hubby and 3yr old. We had a fantastic stay from start to finish. Will definitely be recommending this hotel to my family and friends. We stayed in room 463, lovely covered terrace and right beside the pools we will be asking for this again when we return, hopefully end of Sept/early Oct. There seems to be limited availability for this time which I can understand, I'm sure everyone who stays here books soon after returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank doler
Hoteis_Real_Alg, Gerente at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest,

It is overwhelming and really gratifying to guests already planning their return trip, as you are.
Thank you so much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you again on September/October.

Jorge Teixeira
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
Clube Humbria
Clube Humbria
#1 of 8 in Olhos de Agua
Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa

Been to Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa? Share your experiences!