“Major let down”
Review of Alpinus Hotel

Alpinus Hotel
Ranked #43 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I always read bad reviews with a pinch of salt as you can't please every one so I was pleased when we arrived as I was feeling nervous about reviews I had read. The rooms were huge and clean, the pool was spotless but this is NOT a 4 star hotel.
On holiday we enjoy the pool, local strolls, entertainment and the food. Which is where I became very disappointed !!!
The pool was so cold the kids were getting out blue and dithering after minutes, location is in the middle of no where, a 20 minute taxi ride from albufera costing 12euros, there is a free bus provided by the hotel if you can get on it, book early to avoid disappointment! children's entertainment supposed to start at 8.30pm a little late in my opinion but we went one night and my 2 children said they were tired and wanted to go to back the room, the time was 9.10pm and still the
entertainment had not started!
Don't even get me started on the food, everyone we spoke to had gone out to eat as after 3 days of the same dishes for lunch and dinner day after day they couldn't face any more, my son went to get a scoop of ice cream and was told he couldn't have any until after 2.30, it's like how stupid to expect a nice ice cream by the pool mid day?! my daughter wanted a juice with her lunch and was told she would have to have fizzy drink as juice is for breakfast only,
snacks by pool is either a cheese or ham sandwich, slices of pizza no choice in topping or
A hot dog, if you are vegetarian don't go here, my hubby survived on chips and mayo all week. They put meat or fish in every dish.
I can't tell you how disappointed we were with this holiday we will not be returning here that's for sure, the worst all inclusive holiday we have had

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Claire V
Luna H, Manager at Alpinus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2016

Thank you for its opinion .
We will certainly continue to improve our service so that in future we can get it even better .

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Wanted a relaxing break with my mum age 76, Hotel sounded brilliant and 4 star quality.Our room was ok , we had a kitchen,nice seating area and ITV on the television, which proved to be our only entertainment.The staff in the restaurant were miserable,they tried to take your plate away if you put your cutlery down, food was terrible we are not fussy eaters, but one evening we had fish fingers for tea, another evening we had a burger not what you class as 4 star grub., very poor choices of food .Finding the main pool was difficult you had to get in the right lift,the slope down to the pool area was always very slippy, saw people slip a few times.Queues at the main bar on an evening were lengthy, only ever 1 person serving,.Went to a gypsy market on an organised trip, got picked up in a scruffy mini-bus, with the door taped on with sticky tape. All in all would not return to this hotel.We booked with Thomas Cook thought it would be a lovely holiday and i am shocked to find it still on some websites advertised as a four star.Someone from these holiday companies need to fly out and see for themselves how rubbish this hotel is,Nothing to do nearby, beach is a long walk away

Room Tip: room overlooked a car-park
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jacqui P

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here for New Year 2014 for 5 nights. We booked this last minute as our original hotel in Albufeira was disgusting! and we had a very pleasant stay but wish the location was a bit better.
We shared a 2 bedroomed apartment for 4 adults, there was one double ensuite with own balcony and 1 twin room. Another separate bathroom and kitchen and also a living area with another balcony. It was safe to say it was massive and ample for 2 couples as well as families. They were well equipped and clean. Maids changed the sheets and towels daily.

The food was brill. There wasnt much choice but what was there was really good. We had something different everyday including the soups and salads. The little rolls were amazing, could have ate them all day long!
The pool area was fine although was a little cold for us at that time of year but it was clean enough with sunbeds and tables/chairs present.
Drinks were available from 10am but only beer and soft drinks. If you wanted spirits you had to wait till 2pm but again that may be a seasonal thing? Drinks were served good and the cocktails were really nice. Bar staff were friendly especially when you gave them a small tip!

My biggest disappointment was New Years Eve. The hotel had a special Gala Dinner with entertainment but we were not allowed to it! I think it should have been compulsary with the hotel like any other hotel at New Year. We got stuck with table snacks and terrible entertainment in the bar! We ended up going to the roof at the bells to see the fireworks and then going back to our room with a bottle. Big let down as we were there to celebrate the New year!

The location is not so great. 20 min walk to the beach (worth it though!) and you would need a taxi to get to Albufeira which costs anything between 9 and 15 euros one way depending who you get. Its okay if you want a nice hotel in a quiet location. There are a few shops within walking distance.
Albufeira was lovely and I would go back in season again.

Overall the hotel is nice if you dont want to be in the centre of a busy resort and its in season as I would not return at New Year.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Myself and 6 other ladies stayed for 3 nights all inclusive at the beginning of April. The check-in was a little slow as only one member of staff and quite a few people waiting. Our room was a one bedroom apartment for 3 of us. The lounge was spacious, with a pull out double sofa bed and the bedroom had 2 singles. There was a large immaculately clean kitchen/diner with all the necessary pots/pans etc. and a large bathroom with shower over the bath. There is a hairdryer in the bathroom.

We were able to get a large table in the dining room for 7 of us at every meal bar one. I would imagine in the peak season it would be very crowded. We enjoyed every meal, the hot food was hot and cold was cold. you couldn't ask for more. Drinks were on tap to help yourself to at meals. At other times you had to queue at the bar. The bar staff were brilliant at coping with the crowds and were run off their feet.

There are 2 pools and only one had a bar open at this time of year, so if you fancied the quieter 'north' pool, it was a hike through the hotel up and down with your drinks/snacks. The only let down really were the 'snacks', as mentioned in previous reveiws. Really cheap pizza, curled up sandwiches and a tiny cake in a wrapper.

Whilst we were there the hotel organised a mini bus for us, which we used everyday and sometimes twice. It was always on time and reasonably priced. The hotel also organised a birthday cake with candles and sparkling wine for my friends birthday.

There isn't a lot around the hotel for an evening stroll if you like that sort of thing, so could feel a little isolated. Albufeira old town is quite nice with little cobbled streets and Vilamoura has a nice harbour.

I would probably rate this as a 3 star rather than the advertised 4 through past experience. For a weekend away it was great and very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: We had a pool view on the first floor and only had a small amount of sunshine on the balcony first t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 April 2014

On arrival we were checked in by the Head Receptionist. Over the course of the next 7 days he proved to be less than helpful and quite rude as did some of the other receptionists who gave off the attitude they just couldn't be bothered. The rooms very very spacious and basic although the beds were rock hard. The food was terrible, the majority was processed although the salads and fruits were fresh. Meal times were chaotic and staff lifted plates of food before people were even finished without checking first. I had my breakfast half eaten one morning and boom it had disappeared from the table. I had only turned around to get my phone out of my bag! Hang on to your plates for dear life! Everything appeared to be a little grubby and grim about the hotel, the sign on the roof was the first thing we noticed when we arrived, it was very faded and tattered. Everything was quite impersonal. The bar area is far to small and badly laid out especially for the amount of people coming and going through it. Queues at the bar can get quite long. Snacks are only on offer from 2-5pm and consisted from a choice of stale white bread sandwiches, processed hotdogs and frozen pizza. Afternoon tea was described as tea/coffee, cakes and biscuits. This was actually a cup of tea or coffee and a little muffin in plastic wrapping! There is no other choice on offer. I have been to a few all inclusive destinations in the past and this falls a long way short of the quality and variety of food on offer at other hotels. It is billed as a 4 star resort and I perplexed as to how it attained this rating. I would score this hotel as a very bad 3 star possibly 2 star, do not be fooled by the star rating.

The North Pool of the hotel is very awkward to get to. You need to access it by going up to the first floor and then going down a set of stairs to the ground floor, there is no direct access from the ground floor. The hotel is about 5/6 miles from Albufeira. There is a courtesy bus on offer Monday to Friday, with a reduced service on Saturday, none on Sunday, to bring you to either the strip or old town with 3 buses daily. Spaces are limited as there is only 16 seats and you will need to book a few days in advance, this was the case at the start of April, I imagine it would be very busy in peak times. On a positive note there is a nice beach about a mile away from the hotel with a scenic cliff walk. There are also a couple of nice restaurants in the area that we took refuge in when unable to face the slop on offer in the hotel. On our last night my wife was feeling ill with a sore throat (which turned out to be tonsillitis) and we decided to get pizza for take away to eat in the room. After we had eaten it I went down to the restaurant and explained that we were not eating in the restaurant as my wife was ill and I was just wanting to grab a couple of deserts to bring to the room. The member of staff on the restaurant door got quite aggressive in his manner with me saying no food was allowed out of the restaurant as everyone would want to bring food to their room. I then politely explained where he could insert the deserts and walked off.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gibsono

Reviewed 9 April 2014

My partner and I booked there at the end of March for 1 week to use as a base to watch a family member do their skydiving course in Alvor. We booked 'all inclusive' and used the hotel as a base to sleep and eat when we weren't out and about.

We found the hotel a little further away from Albufeira than we thought but as we walk, cycle etc it wasn't that much of an issue. The room was spacious, with good facilities and a very comfy bed and a great balcony opening up to the sunshine. The food was acceptable for a 3 star hotel, even though it was rated as 4 stars. The staff were very helpful and always polite.

The only real downside to our stay was when a group of 'suits' arrived on site halfway through the week to do what one would guess was a hotel evaluation/inspection. These chaps made their presence very obvious and were always standing over the staff and generally making themselves very visible, which wasn't good from a customer point of view.

All in all a good place we found and it provided great access to the rest of the Algarve for us.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner booked a weeks stay in this all inclusive. As we are the younger generation we asked to stay near the town and got placed here! 20Euros a night on taxi return, all in all nice place, oh and can't have vodka till 2pm... :( let down as by 11 you want a drink as your on holiday!!!! Food was ok, wouldn't pay 15Euros for a meal there though. As it's March time it was very quiet and I mean very quiet. I would say 50 people in the hotel. My partner is going to Thomas cool to complain as it's not what we asked for but we can't complain about the hotel...
If your older and want a relaxing holiday go here, or if your a couple who want to go out near the strip then don't!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple