We have just returned from a two-week all inclusive holiday with our family at Luna Alpinus - nine of us in total ranging in age from us in our late 60s to our grandchildren aged 4 and 6. This is an excellent hotel for families, we all had a great time and I feel this holiday was very good value for money compared to other hotels we had considered. In my view the people who have criticised various aspects of this hotel should perhaps consider paying a little more to ensure they get the superior standard they obviously expect. However, in spite of the very reasonable cost of the holiday, my family found very little to complain about.
The apartments are very spacious and comfortable and it was very useful having a fridge and kettle. Toiletries were replaced throughout our stay which I had not expected. My daughter requested a camp bed for her four-year old to avoid someone sleeping in the lounge and this was immediately provided.
There were always plenty of sunbeds and parasols, and you couldn't get access to the main pool until 9 a.m. so you didn't have to be up early to get a sunbed. We never had a problem, even with our large group.
I cannot understand the negative reviews about the food. I am quite fussy about food but the excellent range at all meals cannot be faulted - it was always top quality, piping hot and plentiful, and in comparison to my experience of staying in various large 4-star hotels belonging to well-known chains it actually comes out very favourably. Very good indeed for a relatively small hotel. Empty plates were cleared immediately and never left on the tables and staff were always polite and friendly. One review states there were only fizzy drinks in the restaurant for children - this is not the case and the "still orange" both in the restaurant and pool bars was very good. A variety of soft drinks, local beer and wine was available at lunch and dinner and chilled water was also always available in the restaurant and the pool bars.
I do not agree with the criticism of the the animation team who worked hard throughout the day and evening to encourage guests of all ages to join in. There were a number of activities throughout the day, an extremely popular mini disco in the evening, followed by entertainment either by the animation team or an outside entertainer. Again, the entertainment may not be to the standard of more expensive hotels, but again you get what you pay for. All my family enjoyed the entertainment and felt that the team did their very best to entertain all guests of whatever age.
As our grandchildren are quite young we had intended to spend most of our time by the pool as we felt that the beach wouldn't be suitable for them - it gets very busy, is very hot in August and the sea is a little rough for young children. Both children loved splashing around in the small pool, and the big pool was safe enough for them to swim in with supervision.
People who have complained that the hotel is a little isolated should have done their homework before they went, and stayed nearer to Albufeira. However there was a good selection of restaurants, bars and shops within a reasonable distance. The walk to the beach took about 20 minutes at a relatively slow place which I, my husband and older members of our group, managed there and back quite easily.
There is only one criticism my family have, and that is that at least some of the sunbeds need replacing. They were reasonably comfortable to sit on, but some were broken and we had to check every morning to make sure that we didn't get a poor one.
All the family agreed they'd had a great holiday, and would love to return next year. Can't say fairer than that!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in one of the most exclusive touristic areas, near the famous beaches of Albufeira. With an exceptional view over the pine trees and the golf course, the Alpinus Hotel is the perfect place for holidays in the Algarve. Features 185 apartments and studios (128 one-bedroom apartments, 52 two-bedrooms apartments and 5 studios) comfortably furnished, all with balcony, equipped kitchen, bathroom, direct telephone, satellite TV, stereo system, air conditioning and safe. The hotel includes two pool areas for adults and children, buffet restaurant, bar, coffee shop, meeting and events room with support equipment, private parking and free Wi-Fi. LOCATION The Alpinus Hotel is located between the exclusive area of Vilamoura, with its Casino, Marina and some of the best golf courses in the Iberian Peninsula, and the cosmopolitan town of Albufeira, with a diversity of handicraft shops, restaurants, bars, clubs and the vibrant nightlife of the Algarve. 29 km from Faro Airport, 12 km from Vilamoura, 10 km from the historic center of Albufeira, 1.2 km from the Falesia beach and 200 m from the Pine Cliffs golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Alpinus Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Luna Alpinus Albufeira
- Luna Alpinus Hotel Albufeira
- Alpinus Albufeira
- Hotel Alpinus
- Alpinus Hotel Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal