“We promise not to help you !”
Review of Hotel Montechoro

and 1 more site!
Hotel Montechoro
Ranked #133 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed here October 2013 with our golf society, First room had crisps over carpet and the beds were that small if you rolled over you would fall out, Moved into another room ,good sized beds this time . floors and carpets very sun-bleached but apart from that all seemed well. After returning from golf we turned on the a/c and went out, we had no air con upon return or for the rest of our stay , everyday we were promised it would be fixed in the end we gave up and closed the curtains and left the doors open , This hotel needs bulldozing !

Room Tip: Don't bother find a better hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nigel D
HotelMontechoro, Gerente de recepção at Hotel Montechoro, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2015

Dear Guest

Your comments have been duly noted, and transmitted to our staff. Your experience does not correspond to the normal service given to our guests; housekeeping service is always a priority for us.
we apologize for the fault in the air conditioning.
Please be aware that the renovation plans for the bedrooms are already being prepared.
We look forward to your return visit.

Kind Regards
Ricardo Gonçalves

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Don't bother. Very disappointed after our Sept 2013 visit. Not as described, very run down and didn't see any entertainment. The bar even shut early due to lack of visitors. Wouldn't bother with Low Cost Holidays either. Just past the buck, and in my opinion couldn't care less! Wouldn't use them again or the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
2  Thank Terry Charles C
Reviewed 1 November 2013

1st of all the hotel is about 10 minute taxi ride to the old town and far from the beach. The hotel is dirty seems like the carpet hasn't been clean for decades. The toilet and sink very rusty, was scared to even brush my teeth. I have pretty bad allergies with dirt and molds, I got sick from staying here. The bedding is really old, had to cover the sheets. The bathroom towels were worn out. Oh the AC not enough to cool the room. I would suggest booking hotels closer to old town coz it's closer to the beach too.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gracieluv143
Reviewed 13 October 2013

our holiday got off to a bad start after the travel agent booked us to a hotel for the wrong year,after a few phone calls to our agent we finally got booked into the montechoro where we were made very welcome.the hotel is in need of a refit but is still of good quality.we found the staff very helpful,our room was cleaned every day as was the towels changed,we stayed there from the 11th of september till the 25th and had no complaints.in fact we are looking forward to going back.that is twice we have holidayed in the algarve this year,we find the people very friendly and thinking of having a lot more holidays there.j.allan.fraserburgh.

Room Tip: take the 9th floor which is at the top,the view is as good as you will ever see.
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Buy a lock for yoru suitcase !!!

I stayed one week in this hotel September 2013 and I was very dissappointed. First of all I want to tell you that I had to call the police to the hotel as my designer Hand Bag was robbed from my suitcase in my hotel. I know exactly what day it was taken also as when I was going to the pool that morning i took my wallet and phone out of it and when I went to get it that night to go out my bag was missing. I went down to the reception to complain and I was very shocked with the response from the receptionist - Her reply was - what do you want me to do, this happens all the time here !!!!! I couldnt belive her response, I said that answer is not acceptable, I told her my bag was very expensive and that I wanted to know what cleaner was in my hotel that morning... she told me I had to deal with the manager the next day. So the next day I spoke with the manager and he was no better, he just said he spoke to the accomodation manager and spoke to the girl who was cleaning my room and she denied taking it so said there was nothign he could do. As you can imagine - I was very annoyed as this bag was expensive and I had just purchased it 6 months ago while in Chicago !!! End result - I never got my bag back !!!

Next Negative Point - No Pool bar or music .... Pool Loungers very uncomfortable and old !!

Next Negative Point - No wifi reception in pool area or in bedroom - you can only get wifi at their main reception which is quite annoying ...

Next Negative Point - If you over the age of 25 - I weoudl advise you get a hotel in teh Old Town - as this hotel is located at the top of the strip - the Portugese have an age limit of 16 for drinking so the stip is very very young !!! The old town is where all teh nice restaurants and bars are ..

Only positive point is - hotel is clean and rooms are ok - but seriously if you are going to stay here - buy a lock for your suitcase adn when you are heading off to the pool leave all your jewlerry and nice clothes or bags - LOCKED in your suitcase ... obviously this hotel just employs anyone to work here and they do not take robbing from a hotel room seriously !!!

My advice - stay in another hotel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you are over 25 - stay in the Old Town - this is where all the nice restaurants are .. they also...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lorraine B
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I won,t go over every point, as all have been well documented. This hotel is in no way a 4*. It has a lot going for it. Firstly i found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The cleaning staff were in every day and changed towels, beds were changed a couple of times, during our 10 day stay.
The room was large with plenty of space for storage.Our balcony was huge and had one of the best views i have ever had.Plenty of sunbeds ,space in pool, due to the fact that there are not a lot of people there now. We were told there were 700 people there the previous week.
It cost 46 euro for the safety deposit box, however 25euro is a deposit and as long as you don,t lose your key you will get it back. There is free air con. Allright some people were not happy with theirs, but hey it is free and ours was fine.Also there is a courtesy bus to take you to the old town or the beach and take you back, several times a day.
We were halfboard and allthough breakfast was ok, dinner was a completely different matter.The first nights dinners main meal choices were...rice, chips, fish , chicken, or brussel sprouts, this was in the heated section. There were the usual salad items. 1 soup and a handful of sweets. There was fish every night and 1 other choice. Needless to say we ate out a few times.While the food was ok, i have never been to any hotel 3 or 4 * with such a poor choice of meals. I did ask the first night if this was a normal menu, or was there some other reason for this and was told this is normal. Had i known this i would have went b&b as there is plenty of restaurants in the area. we were given an a la carte menu one night. It had 3 mains on it and the young man waiting on us also offered a few other choices the chef could make for us. This was our last night.As there only seemed to be 5 or 6 other couples halfboard, surely there could have been more of a selection.
I was a bit worried about the hotel before i went, as i had read some of the negative reviews. Regarding decor furniture etc; I went with an open mind, decided as long as it was clean and secure i would enjoy it as the hotel is only a base. It was tired and carpets were faded. Furniture needs upgraded. However it wasn,t cheap and for a 4* the dining experience was very disappointing.This hotel really needs to fulfill it,s potential and return to it,s glory days!

Room Tip: We were in 730 and had a great view overlooking the pool, but the furniture needs upgrading
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We have just come back after staying at the Hotel Montechoro for our third time and yet again had a great relaxing holiday. Some of the people who have wrote and condemed this hotel need to get a life because all they seem to do is whinge and moan from the moment that set foot into the reception Area.At the end of their holiday they must be that stressed out from all the moaning that they must be ready for the next holiday when they go back to work!!!
If you go on hoiday relax and enjoy.The hotel does need updating but everywere was clean.The staff were very pleasant,The english breakfast was the same as what you get at most hotels.The rooms are massive and are cleaned every day.The Air Conditioning worked.Towels changed every day an bed linen changed twice a week.What more do people want.
We payed extra for a high floor with pool view which we were given and the view over the town of Albuferia is second to none.As for some peple who come on here and complain about the noise from Erin's bar don't be so tight and pay for a pool view-you get no noise then!
The pool is well looked after and there was never any problem's getting a sun bed.
All in all we had a great 12 night's and I for one was very relaxed when I went back to work!

Room Tip: Pay for a Pool View with High Floor The view is magnificent
4  Thank tintinwolf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
Golden Beach by 3HB
#2 of 20 in Praia da Rocha
Muthu Oura Praia Hotel
Muthu Oura Praia Hotel
#78 of 154 in Albufeira

Been to Hotel Montechoro? Share your experiences!