“Definately reccommended”

Ranked #45 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
chorley lancs
“Definately reccommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2008

Stayed here from 9th to the 23rd August, with my husband , my 8 year old son, and 6 year old daughter. After the reviews that I read before departing, I must say was not looking forward to it, but when we arrived wow !!!!!
The kids couldn't wait to get in the pool. The room was clean and spacious, with enough storage for holiday cloths. The food was great, there is always meat, fish, veg, potatoes, rice and pasta up for grabs, we were so satisfied with the choice that we didn't even bother going to the two resturants. You do queue for your drinks, but no longer than 5 mins. Be warned the pools are really cold. The entertainment was of a good standard, and the kids love it. My children didn't join any kids clubs so I can't comment on those, but my son did do the footie sessions, 66 euros for 3 x 2 hrs, a little expensive we thought, but he enjoyed it, and Ian and Mark are great with them. I would definately go back, and hope that you have a really good time.

• Liked — clean, and spacious.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank carry69

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2008

I would just like to say i banged my head on the blue slide on our first day, im not tall or big and i had my 2 year old on my knee and i was sat up, when we came round the bend it flew us up and i banged my head 3 times and my little girl hit hers once, i thought i was going to pass out and have never had a headache as bad for days, it did bring tears to my eyes. A few days later my husband took her on and they banged their heads too so we avoided that slide after that.

That was the worst part of our holiday, everything was fantastic, we had such a good time we have already booked to go back for 2 weeks in May 2009.

Any questions just ask!

• Liked — The entertainment all day & all evening!
  • Disliked — The Blue Slide!!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Paulahouston
Leicester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2008

According to First Choice, they have had no problems with this hotel.
So beware, i have worked out when they lie, they open their mouths.
OK the hotel is good for kids in lots of respects, just dont turn your back for a moment, they might be playing with the gardners blades, left at this a*se, or maybe falling down the unrepaired path or worse be suffering from food poison.
This is the worst all inclusive holiday for food ever, plus you need to queue for the tripe/mush. In fact you queue for everything!
Thank god we only booked a week.
Let me summarize for you and stop moaning, BUTLINS ABROAD, sorry Butlins you are actually are better then this.

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Getting there
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

We returned from the Alto da Colina on 7 August after a 2 week All-inclusive stay. I have to admit that the reviews of the hotel in the last couple of months left us with low expectations but the reality couldn't be further from the truth. We had a fantastic holiday.

We have 3 kids aged 8,6 and 1 and stayed in a one-bed apartment in the new Block 2 building. Sure there are a few steps and a ramp up to the main Block 1 part of the complex but not as bad as other reports made this out to be. The apartment was really spacious, spotlessly clean and with a huge balcony overlooking the pool.

The main pool area was huge and easily able to cater for a full hotel - including sunbeds. We didn't once fail to get 2 or 3 but I would say more parasols would be good as it was very very hot.

There were activities going on throughout the day if you wanted to join in, and the First Choice staff overall worked their socks off day and night to ensure everyone was looked after.

We only went to the evening entertainment a couple times so can't really pass much of a comment on it. However, I would say that if people want Las Vegas style shows every night then I suggest a First Choice family resort costing a few grand for 2 weeks is not the best choice of holiday.

Re the food, I must have been in a different place to others cos I can recall as a minimum the following that I either ate or saw available:

- Freshly cooked chicked fillets while you wait with a different sauce everyday. Never undercooked and delicious.
- Freshly cooked fish (salmon, tuna etc..) everyday while you waited.
- Salads including (as well as tomato/onion and lettuce) beetroot, egg mayonaisse, coleslaw, cous cous, and many other choices
- Lasagne, meatballs, roast lamb, chicken with a lemon sauce, curry, fish pice, vegetarian dishes, vegetables such as carrots, and broccoli
- Mashed potato, jacket potatoes, boiled potatoes and roast potatoes
- For breakfast - omlettes cooked to order, pancakes cooked to order and then usual "fry up" stuff plus lots of fruit and cold meats

Yes there were burgers and hot dogs and chips (In The Kids Section of the buffet!) but there was also spaghetti bolognaise, fish fingers etc. for them too if they didn't want a "proper" dinner.

Sure the food is not gourmet cuisine but there's something for everyone, and if you work out what you are paying per day for AI that covers drinks, ice cream and snacks, its pretty good really. Clearly those having cheesburgers, chicken nuggets and large beers at 10:30 in the morning must have felt that.

The kids clubs and creche were second to none. No booking to get the kids in to the sessions, there was never a time when they couldn't get in when they chose to go and the staff arranged a great variey of activities to keep them amused. The creche was the best I have ever seen in a hotel.

We didn't bother with the excursions but we did hear that Zoomarine is worth a visit if you like Dolphins.

If you go into the Old Town for the day, try a restaurant called Tacos on seafront. Absolutely fantastic portuguese restaurant - not a cold hamburger in sight - just great fish dishes, paella etc..

Well done First Choice and well done Alto da Colina.

• Liked — The quality of the rooms and the pool areas
  • Disliked — Nothing
3 Thank AlnMeg
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

The blue water slide was lethal. The 1st few days my wife went down it with our children it seemed fast. On our 4th day she tried to go down it sat up but it threw her on her back and banged her head and back. As she came round it she almost spun 90 degrees to the right then to left and again to right and as it threw her out round the bend she banged her head, knee, elbow and wrist. It almost knocked her out and her elbow and wrist looked dislocated. She is still in pain three weeks later and can hardly use her right arm. Be warned!
The hotel had no 1st aiders at poolside and First Choice didn't either and we were packed off to the local hospital. The hotel had the slide checked by the Architect?, First Choice told me it was Quality that came? Apparently it is to Standard but the water flow was apparently slowed down and the signage is to be changed to advise to only go down it sat up??? Some adults were refused entry to the slide after this. By the way my wife is only 5ft and not very large in case you were wondering. Also we witnessed many children and adults banging their heads and right sides of their bodies even after. If you are going on holiday please avoid this slide, or if you have had an accident please contact us as we really think it is dangerous and the hotel and First Choice are putting people at risk.

2 Thank tractor96
wakefield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

Just got back today aug 9th and had to write a review, we loved it myself, my husband and our two children (6 and 3) went for two weeks all inclusive and it truly was fantastic!! ALL the staff were really helpful and really nice to speak to! The entertainment staff are Out Of This World and work their ******** off all day and evening to give the kids and adults the best time!! Lindsay, Phil, Danielle, Ruth and Billy we salute you!!!

We were worried reading the previous reviews about the food but found the restaurant to be much better than expected beautiful salads, pastas, a choice of at least two different meats and various fish (of course it is portugal!!) the omlette chef also needs a special mention!!

The apartment was extremely large the whole hotel was SPOTLESSLY CLEAN!! The splash park is fantastic and great for kids of all ages (including adults of course)!! All the pools are great and for the size of the hotel we were surprised to find that there were sunbeds every day and plenty of rooms in the pool to sit and watch the kids play in safety!! We could go on forever about how great it was but now worn out from all the activities that are there!!

I hope this review goes some way to easing peoples worries about the hotel as we had before we went, before you start to think we are easily please I can assure you we aren't but this holiday village is fab!!

• Liked — just about everything
  • Disliked — location slightly lets it down
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank r00m1111
Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

We have previously been to this hotel and thought it was excellent so went back this year only been back 2 days. This hotel has changed alot in 2 years the facilities for families is much better and the entertainment crew in2action work very hard to make sure holidaymakers have a good time. i would definately recommend the creche. the four girls working in there are excellent and my 14 month old son loved it in there. The soccer scholl was excellent my 8 year old loved it. the food well!!! Not bad but not great either. the service is terrible you spend half your holiday in queues. there was also no security at the hotel which was bad at night as there were gangs of children hanging around. the night entertainment room was very small most people sat by the bar outside with no music and no entertainment. i would recommend this hotel only for self catering as then at night you can go out to the strip which is only a 20 min walk or the old town of albufeira which is picturesque and lots of street entertainers for the children.

• Liked — on site facilities
  • Disliked — lack of atmosphere at the outside bar area in the evenings
  • Stayed August 2008