“Good value for money”

Muthu Forte da Oura
Ranked #87 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My friend and I stayed here 20-27 May 2012 in one of the appartments, also at a good rate via Lowcostholidays.
Booked self catering, but it was set up like a hotel with a lounge kitchen area between the bedroom and balcony. Balcony quite small, only chairs, no beds.
The rooms were quite spacious and had 1 bedroom with twin beds with aircon (aircom not in lounge area) - matress's were very firm - small TV in lounge area with ITV 1 and BBC 1 & 2 and CBB's
Kitchen had fridge and 2 ring ceramic hob and microwave with grill in top - no proper oven though.
Good water pressure so powerful shower.
Maids emptied bins and changes towels dails, but couldn't see that they did any more than that, but I wasn't expecting this in self-catering anyway.
Pool was quite nice, but definitely not enough beds provided so get up early, having said that the beach was actually much nicer and only a 10 minute walk across the road - beds can be rented for six euros a day.
Great location, 5-10 minutes to beach, 5 minutes round corner to good sized supermarket, 5-10 minutes from the bottom end of the strip, so close for everything - good part was that the hotel was very quiet but as much noise as you wanted to early hours close by.
Old town was walking distance, but easier by bus or taxi - buses quite frequent during the day.
Didn't eat there so can't comment on the food, but loads of good restaurants nearby depending on your taste and pocket.

3  Thank beth1957

Reviewed 26 May 2012

Went here for a week with my sister (sis) and brother-in-law (bil) .The hotel is about 10mins walk from the main strip area (turn right outside the hotel) which you get to by walking up an inclined road. Can be uncomfortable if you have walking problems. If you turn left outside the hotel and then left again walk for a few minutes and you will get to a shopping area, a few restaurants and the supermarket, a good range of food sold there, fantastic strawberries, really nice bread, try the local butter..we preferred it and they also have a cashpoint inside.
Read mixed reviews and was happy when we got there and found reception staff very efficient and polite and our room spotlessly clean,bil very picky over cleanliness (he even takes descaler for the kettle!), the room AND the kettle passed his inspection! Disappointingly (at first) we had a horrible view from the balcony but afterwards realised that it was quiet and didnt get too much sun, which suited us.
We were on first floor (which is classed at 2) in room 203, just above reception .The rooms were a good size approx 14x14 and separated by a louvre type door and large hatch, which gave enough privacy for us. the kitchen was extremely well equipped for a couple of weeks holiday and everything was spotless, the glasses positively gleamed! We didnt use any of the cooking facilities, not even the microwave. The 'living' area had a large bed settee with a roll our underneath, the quality of the sheets was really good, very soft and very clean, not a stain to be seen, this also applied to the bedroom. the pillows were good quality and comfortable. One bonus (for sis ad bil) the room also had a tv (small old type of portable up high on the wall) which had BBC1 BBC2 and ITV1 (all in english) so they never missed their beloved Emmerdale, which was on every night! There are pics attached of the rooms. The bathroom was spotless and plenty of tissue there (altho bil had brought some from home), the towels COULD have been changed every day, but we dont do that..also the shower was good, hot and powerful. The pool area was large enough and plenty of sunbeds and shades. the pool itself has a 'shallow half' around 1.3m and from halfway it goes to 2.5m (something like that) . There is also a childrens pool. Beware, the pool is VERY cold but once you get in its fine.
We had a couple of problems, air conditioning, which was rectified within a couple of hours, we did discover that the air con stays on even when you are out of the room...so you come back to a nice cool room! Also the bathroom sink was blocked but there was a language/accent misunderstanding and they were trying to find a fault with the SEAT..lol..it was finally sorted though. The exchange rate is poor but this is generally the case at hotels.

Now, the drawbacks, this hotel is used by hen and stag parties, when we were there, there was a stag party of 50...yes 50! at one point they drank the bar dry so poor bil could not have a beer! such an oversight by management I think. the guys were loud, once the booze kicked in people did leave the pool/outside bar area, I personally was in the pool when a load of them jumped in and started messing around, I felt rather vulnerable so got out, was having fun too!.
As for the hens, there were 3 different parties there, all around 10-12 in numbers, so...50 + 30 = 80 young people all bent on having a good time, this is NOT an 18-30 hotel but felt like it was. I will say, the ladies language was a LOT worse than the guys but they did drink less. The hotel reckoned that they did not know the party of 50 were all the same party..yeah right! Lots of people complained about being woken up 4-5am when the hens and stags returned but we slept like babies!
There are 3 internet terminals in reception, 1 Euro for 10 mins, rather pricey I thought and not that fast and I do believe they have free wi-fi in the reception area as well as safe hire.
The food and beverage in the hotel is a franchise Graham, is the manager. On our first day we had the breakfast which was good for 4 Euros and the coffee was really nice. We also ordered a portion of chips to take to our room (that was allowed!) 2.50, they were delicious, hot and a good sized portion.
On Wednesdays and Sundays they offer a 'roast dinner buffet' for 9.99. Being kind i will describe this as poor...it is served from 1pm, we went there at 1.20 on sunday...to be told that the lamb had gone ...the 50 stags had ate it as they had been allowed into the restaurant from 12...I was so annoyed about that but Graham didnt seem that bothered as he pointed out, it was 'until stocks last' laughable really when it comes to a sunday roast! There was other meat beef pork and turkey, and this was kept all together in one hot plate and sliced thinly by the chef all with the SAME knife. The veg was hard and tasteless, roasties were burned one side and almost raw the other and the gravy was dark thick and tasteless. The whole meal was barely warm. Save your money and go to the strip to eat. Mangellos lamb shank is a far better deal!
There is a sign as you enter the pool area that you are not able to bring food and drink into the area I came back from the shop and had a can of coke which I had bought in the supermarket, Graham, the manager came to me and told me it was not allowed, I was so taken aback, it was hardly a three course meal and I was not hiding it.
The hotel entertainment is poor but we make our own fun so it did not affect us, although we did like the 15min parrot show...so cute!
All in all we had a good time but the hen and stag thing and petty rules around the pool did put us off and wouldnt book there again. (sorry this review is so long!)

Room Tip: It appears that the hotel is managed better than the beverage side of things so dont confuse the two...
6  Thank msna
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here 14-21 May 2012, booked at a good rate via Lowcostholidays. It lays just beyond `the strip` in the new town of Albufiera, but far enough away that the hedonistic noise can not be heard from your apartment.
When booking we asked for a room on an upper floor with a garden/sea view, with early check-in as our flight got into Faro at about 9am. We had mixed luck. Got room 301, on the third floor which had a great scenic view of the sea in the distance. Had to wait till 1pm to get it though.
The room had everything you would want in a 3 star s/c 1 bedroom apartment inc microwave, kettle, TV (small) that received some UK channels, powerful shower etc. The beds in the bedroom were 2 singles put together, but that's the way it is in most s/c resorts so don't complain. Clean towels everyday with beds made up daily too- think linen was changed once. A/con in bedroom was a lifesaver at times.

Outside there was a average sized pool, with the deepest end (2.5m) that was refreshingly cool in the mostly scorching weather we had when there. Location wise, the strip was about 5 mins walk away; the nearest beach was about 15-20 mins walk, via the CPO hotel, just across the road - I wont give exact directions here as it involves using a lift in the hotel to cut down on walking! There was a range of restaurants pubs and a supermarket just a few metres away from the entrance- the supermarket, which was very cheap, is out of the hotel, turn left to the 4 palms roundabout, then left again about 100 metres, on the left.
There was a pool bar in the hotel with a lge beer @ €2.70- a lot of outside pubs nearby had `happy hours` from 11am - 8pm with the same drink @€1.50!

Favourite bar -Invictus, go right, 200 metres from entrance- nice atmos, cheap drinks, but food average.

Favourite restaurant- Original hot stone restaurant, go right again, about another 150 metres past Invictus. Steaks etc cooked on a hot stone. Went twice, a bit dearer than a lot of the competition but worth it for a treat, or 2.

Worst thing- the staff didn't really project customer service, but after we got our room, that wasn't really an issue.

Overall we had a great stay at Forte da Oura. But there was something missing from our stay that I just cant put my finger on. I would say that this was the best looking accomodation that we saw in the vicinity. Maybe someone can suggest what?

I could go on a lot longer but if you wanted somewhere nice and quiet but within easy reach of both the new town strip and the old town (via bus/taxi) then this could be for you.

Room Tip: 301 was great for us- 3rd floor with view over garden with sea in distance. Away from pool so quiet...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PartimeHolidaymaker
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have just returned from holiday having spent a week at this hotel with six friends and have to say it was fab.Great location for strip and beach, and the food was lovely at least two choices for main and fresh salad to start with lovely fruit and choice of puddings we could not complain.
the hotel was spotless and the staff could not do enough for you, lovely people.
we found ourselves using the little bar just outside the hotel ( oura bar) they made us so welcome even made us all toasties at 2.30am in morning.
Would definately visit this hotel again had everything you need and more.
if your looking for a nice hotel for hen or stag nights this is the one.

Room Tip: our room was at front 3rd floor just under the sign for hotel it was plenty big enough for 4 and a p...
1  Thank annstid
Reviewed 21 May 2012

we have just come back having spent a week in these apartment, great space very clean and looked after well, only one slight fault the pool was quiet cold especially for the one year old, everything else was perfect, would definately return again. Belfast 2012

Room Tip: we had room over reception which was a bit noisy, would prefer rooms on the south side and quieter
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Briege_e
Reviewed 16 May 2012

14 Scottish hens looking to let their hair down - this could have been messy! Not many places appreciate or accomodate for large groups, but this hotel couldn't have been more helpful.

We didn't pay very much for the whole trip so I was expecting the hotel to be a bit 'budget' but it was clean and had all the basics, what more can you ask for? The staff were very helpful but their phrase of "this is how it is" makes them sound a bit blunt. Once they realised we were respectful of their hotel and their service, their brilliant sense of humour shone through. I can't say I blame them, hen nights would be my worst nightmare if I ran a hotel, I've heard the stories of carnage that they can bring.

We were half board and I must say I wasn't blown away by our breakfasts and dinners but again, for what we'd paid I wasn't expecting a Michelin star course. There was plenty to choose from, salad if you didn't fancy the hot buffet, which meant you didn't go hungry. The lunches though - were amazing! The minute steak fried in garlic baguette will be what I miss most about that holiday!

The staff at the pool and in the restaurant were fantastic. We decided that we would tip during the holiday and save up a large sum at the end for the staff if the service was good. The service was excellent, they ensured we had a table for all of us to sit together at breakfast and lunch. They gave us poolside service, and they joined in the banter and had a good laugh.

It was only 5 minutes from the strip and a short taxi ride away from the Old Town. Exactly what we wanted in a hotel for our long weekend of madness.

1  Thank Silverwillow
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I am just back after staying 1 week with husband. These apartments are in a lovely location in Oura 5 minute to strip and 5 mins to beach. We had south facing apartment overlooking the childrens play area and had sun all day. The apartment was clean and had all you required for a weeks self catering. The pool area is very small and I would think it could be very busy in summer, we did not eat or drink at apartment so cannot comment. There are numerous bars and restaurants close by, would recommend Pauli's Italian and Sol Cafe and Netto's. We used yellowfish transfers for airport transfer and would recommend, they are very efficient.Overall a lovely holiday and would return to Forte da Oura.

Room Tip: south facing apartments overlooking children's playground have sun all day
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple