“3 Star more like”

Ponta Grande Resort
Ranked #78 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 15 November 2009

We, as a family of four stayed at the Ponta Grande Resort at the end of October and the place was practically deserted. Of the 60 townhouses on the complex, there couldn't have been more than 10 or so occupied, from what I could see, which meant that most of the time, the large pool was empty. We had a villa with a pool view, and the most people I saw in it at any one time was 3. While we were there, it seemed the number of people on-site trying to sell apartments on the complex outnumbered the holidaymakers. There always seemed to be 6-8 "estate agents/timeshare" people sitting around the outside bar area, and showing people around one of the townhouses that was obviously set up to show.

The reception area is clean and bright, and the reception staff are extremely helpful and friendly, and are actually the best feature of this place. However, despite the tennis court being totally unused for the week that we were there, they would not let my young sons play for less than 15 euros an hour... my sons offered 10 euros of their pocket money, but it was refused... preferring to see the court unused than to accept a fair offer from a couple of kids, out of season!

The townhouse itself was a disappointment, if I am to be truthful. Advertised as a 4 star property, I was expecting more, but it was very basic and I would just about give it a 3 star rating. Everything that you need is there, but it was just a bit run-down. You have to leave a 60 euro returnable deposit at reception at the start of your stay, for the tv and aircon remotes and to cover any breakages. There is apparently free wifi access in the reception lobby, but I didn't know about this, otherwise I would have taken my netbook, rather than having to rely on using the one computer by the bar area. There is also a games room downstairs with a couple of pool tables, air hockey, a couple of driving simulators and pinball machines.

The resort is a couple of miles out of Albufeira old town, (which suited us) and I would recommend hiring a car to get about. The lovely Sao Rafael beach however, is a gentle 7 or 8 minute stroll and, whilst I can see it getting packed in the high season, was very low key at the end of October, despite us being blessed with wonderful weather in the mid to high 20's everyday!

There are a few restaurants closeby, within a few minutes walking distance, but a we never used them, as a glance of their menus showed them to be quite expensive. Far better value for money is offered in the plethora of restaurants in the Old Town, and my personal favourite was O Tunel, on the steps of the tunnel by the Beach. However, a real gem is Ze do Peixe Assado, on the other side of the "Strip", which is well documented on this site.

All in all, we had an enjoyable and relaxing holiday, but it was the freedom of the hire car that made it so. I would stay at Ponta Grande again, but I know what to expect.... not 4 star, but 3.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank cfc_7

Reviewed 4 August 2009

just got back from a weeks holiday in Ponta Grande with my wife and three boys which we all thoroughly enjoyed .
Good points -
location is excellent - 10 minute walk to lovely beach
houses are a good size and well maintained
swimming pool is excellent
we had breakfast included which we had by the pool and it was of decent standard
restaurant on site - nice italian restaurant - bit pricey but when we stayed there it was almost empty every night

bad points
lack of sun loungers -
signs around the pool say that you are not allowed to , but unless you get up at 7 oclock and put a towel on a bed you have got no chance . Not enough are provided . I asked at reception but no joy - we didn't even have any on our balcony so I had to join in with the early morning scramble . a minor point but it really does affect your enjoyment

lack of staff - there were 2 waitresses who were excellent but they were completely overworked
lack of facilities - there is a games room but during our stay at least half of the machines were out of order .There is a small play area but the place could really do with an area for the kids to play football etc. -
overrun with sales reps - everyday the place is swarming with sales reps giving people tours of the place and cluttering up the bar and getting served before everyone else

all in all I would definitely recommed this place but at the moment I would rate it as 3 star .

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Patrick G
Reviewed 24 May 2009

I stayed 6 days with my wife and my two children, aged 10 and 5. The villa is spacious and clean. The price was affordable. The location is very good, very close to two of the best beaches (Sao Rafael and Coelho beaches). However, the rooms have been cleaned only once in six days ... from a 4-star hotel I would expect a daily service. Internet access was quite expensive. Also, we had to pay a deposit of 60 euros for borrowing an hairdryer and the remote control of the air conditioning ... again, this is something I would not expect from a 4-star hotel.
Note for pasta lovers like me: the kitchen is fully fitted, but the colander is missing

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2009

pros - service all the staff were very helpful and made us feel completey welcome and at ease. villas - u get more here then what u pay for - the villas are spacious and clean, well equiped and it actually felt very private even though we were in the middle of a resort! local beach and restaurants were lovely and great value - we ate lunch at the hotel a couple of days and really enjoyed our food!

cons - the one and only issue i had was the pool - it wasnt heated which i understand is quite normal in portugal but it wasnt as clean as the rest of the resort so ot at all welcoming! also there were no umbrellas which was slightly annoying. Also - as some of the villas are privately owned there are always salespeople in the resort showing potential buyers around - or hangin around the bar it more seemed like - slightly annoying again although i havent worked out if i was jus jealous of their jobs?!

overall the hotel was fab and yes i would stay here again - it was fantastic the staff made the hotel was it is and he villa was ace. we got taxis into the old town and strip - but as we were only there for a short stay it still worked out better value than hiring a car - for a longer stay it may be worth hiring a car - everywhere seemed quite accessible!

enjoy your stay!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2008

Lovely hotel, villas are clean and spacious. The location is about a 10 minute drive to Albufeira and certainly well within easy driving of many beaches and other towns/cities.
We had villa #56 which allowed for an ocean view - this hotel is not on the beach/ocean but villa numbers 55 thru to 60 all are at the front of the hotel and offer ocean view. Villas 35-40 and Villa 11 &12 all have pool views.....all other Villas are either facing a roadway or the back of another Villa - request those mentioned when checking in. Villas 54 & 55 have hot tubs on their terrace as well as nice lawn space, great for kids.
We were here in Sept and by then the shuttle bus to Albufeira had stopped running for the season. Easy walking distance to many good restaurants in the area. Try a pitcher of Sangria at the hotel on Sao Rafael beach....you won't be disappointed.
Hotel requires you to use your own beach towels, bring from home as they are about 20Euro each to buy locally. Nice property, well run, clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
9  Thank Casey1
Reviewed 19 September 2008

Myself, husband and two year old stayed at villa number 12 which was two bedroomed and two bathroomed with a terrace area overlooking the childrens pool which was ideal. Villa was very spacious but needed a bit of updating. Their were two very large sofas in the living room, one of which had a tear on the armrest. The fixtures in the bathroom (showerhead and taps) were a bit loose, numerous wall tiles were cracked and the grouting was somewhat discoloured. Whilst we accept that this could be considered as routine wear and tear, we did not think that it was consistent as being rated as four star. I know that there are also inconsistencies between the two bedroomed villas because we spoke to other guests who had sky television (all channels) and a washing machine, unlike ourselves. They understood that their villa was privately owned although we actually booked our holiday through the same travel company - I think it must be pot luck which villa you are allocated.
Service at the bar was slow on occasion, bar staff would just disappear and you would have to go and enquire at reception. Restaurant was very quiet so would tend to eat elsewhere. We did not see any daytime activities or night time entertainment but that suited us. The swimming pool area was great (could do with losing a few of the shabbier sunbeds) and the childrens pool was perfect for our daughter. Despite the few negative comments, I would say that we had a fantastic holiday and that we would recommend the resort to others, especially those with young children. We did have a hire car for the duration of our holiday but I would say that it was not essential.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank Farqies
Reviewed 17 August 2008

The villa complex claims to be 4 star but does not in my opinion meet these standard. The villas was old and in need of updating
Bedrooms very small . sofas uncomfortable.
Service in the bar and restaurant was slow
Sun beds etc must have been there for 10 years
Shuttle bus promised by travel agent was not there
Despite this we still enjoyed the holiday However the rating should be dropped to 3 star in my opinion

Stayed: July 2008