Ponta Grande Resort
Falesia Hotel(Albufeira)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$304
  • Pool
Clube Albufeira Resort(Albufeira)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$69
Alfagar Aparthotel(Albufeira)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$111
  • Pool
Real Bellavista Hotel & Spa(Albufeira)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$93
  • Pool
Falesia Mar by 3HB(Olhos de Agua)
US$116
US$218
  • Pool
All reviewssao rafaelold townalbufeira marinagames roomfully equipped kitchenair hockeyminute walkcar hirelarge terracelovely beachbread rollsbed villacrazy golfmain townshop on sitegale beachtennis courts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 May 2010

i stayed here in dec 09 with my fiance.we loved the place and got on well with staff. we loved it so much we came back and had our wedding reception there on 20 may.it was thier 1st wedding and they handled it really well. i would recommend it to other brides who want a wedding that is not too formal and a bit more relaxed. a lot of our guests stayed here during the week of the wedding and had a wonderful time

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank bdohertydonegal
Reviewed 2 May 2010

For a 4 star resort i would expected more!
The villas were cleaned only once a week, the kitchen was not properly equipped, the bathrooms need to be redesigned (or at least cleaned properly) and the furniture was really cheap (for a 4 star resort). No cable tv!!!
There was some heavy wind during my stay and the tree next to my villa was always beating on the ceiling, so we couldn't sleep very well. Despite our efforts to solve the problem the staff didn't cared.
The resort is far from Albufeira so you'd better have a car to move around. Also, the beach is not that near from the resort.
There was one good thing, though... free wi-fi access at the reception lobby which allowed me to work on my laptop.
I've been in 3 star properties with better service!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank karenyyy
Reviewed 15 November 2009

We, as a family of four stayed at the Ponta Grande Resort at the end of October and the place was practically deserted. Of the 60 townhouses on the complex, there couldn't have been more than 10 or so occupied, from what I could see, which meant that most of the time, the large pool was empty. We had a villa with a pool view, and the most people I saw in it at any one time was 3. While we were there, it seemed the number of people on-site trying to sell apartments on the complex outnumbered the holidaymakers. There always seemed to be 6-8 "estate agents/timeshare" people sitting around the outside bar area, and showing people around one of the townhouses that was obviously set up to show.

The reception area is clean and bright, and the reception staff are extremely helpful and friendly, and are actually the best feature of this place. However, despite the tennis court being totally unused for the week that we were there, they would not let my young sons play for less than 15 euros an hour... my sons offered 10 euros of their pocket money, but it was refused... preferring to see the court unused than to accept a fair offer from a couple of kids, out of season!

The townhouse itself was a disappointment, if I am to be truthful. Advertised as a 4 star property, I was expecting more, but it was very basic and I would just about give it a 3 star rating. Everything that you need is there, but it was just a bit run-down. You have to leave a 60 euro returnable deposit at reception at the start of your stay, for the tv and aircon remotes and to cover any breakages. There is apparently free wifi access in the reception lobby, but I didn't know about this, otherwise I would have taken my netbook, rather than having to rely on using the one computer by the bar area. There is also a games room downstairs with a couple of pool tables, air hockey, a couple of driving simulators and pinball machines.

The resort is a couple of miles out of Albufeira old town, (which suited us) and I would recommend hiring a car to get about. The lovely Sao Rafael beach however, is a gentle 7 or 8 minute stroll and, whilst I can see it getting packed in the high season, was very low key at the end of October, despite us being blessed with wonderful weather in the mid to high 20's everyday!

There are a few restaurants closeby, within a few minutes walking distance, but a we never used them, as a glance of their menus showed them to be quite expensive. Far better value for money is offered in the plethora of restaurants in the Old Town, and my personal favourite was O Tunel, on the steps of the tunnel by the Beach. However, a real gem is Ze do Peixe Assado, on the other side of the "Strip", which is well documented on this site.

All in all, we had an enjoyable and relaxing holiday, but it was the freedom of the hire car that made it so. I would stay at Ponta Grande again, but I know what to expect.... not 4 star, but 3.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank cfc_7
Reviewed 4 August 2009

just got back from a weeks holiday in Ponta Grande with my wife and three boys which we all thoroughly enjoyed .
Good points -
location is excellent - 10 minute walk to lovely beach
houses are a good size and well maintained
swimming pool is excellent
we had breakfast included which we had by the pool and it was of decent standard
restaurant on site - nice italian restaurant - bit pricey but when we stayed there it was almost empty every night

bad points
lack of sun loungers -
signs around the pool say that you are not allowed to , but unless you get up at 7 oclock and put a towel on a bed you have got no chance . Not enough are provided . I asked at reception but no joy - we didn't even have any on our balcony so I had to join in with the early morning scramble . a minor point but it really does affect your enjoyment

lack of staff - there were 2 waitresses who were excellent but they were completely overworked
lack of facilities - there is a games room but during our stay at least half of the machines were out of order .There is a small play area but the place could really do with an area for the kids to play football etc. -
overrun with sales reps - everyday the place is swarming with sales reps giving people tours of the place and cluttering up the bar and getting served before everyone else

all in all I would definitely recommed this place but at the moment I would rate it as 3 star .

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Patrick G
Reviewed 24 May 2009

I stayed 6 days with my wife and my two children, aged 10 and 5. The villa is spacious and clean. The price was affordable. The location is very good, very close to two of the best beaches (Sao Rafael and Coelho beaches). However, the rooms have been cleaned only once in six days ... from a 4-star hotel I would expect a daily service. Internet access was quite expensive. Also, we had to pay a deposit of 60 euros for borrowing an hairdryer and the remote control of the air conditioning ... again, this is something I would not expect from a 4-star hotel.
Note for pasta lovers like me: the kitchen is fully fitted, but the colander is missing

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family