“Exceeding all expectations”

Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #34 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We've just returned from Pine Cliffs resort where we spent 10 fantastic days. The resort is absolutely stunning, the grounds are beautiful, the beach is mind blowing, a great variety of restaurants and activities to engage, excellent tennis courts and a golf club. The staff were very helpful, polite and professional. I wouldn't want to repeat all the things shared by others but instead would like to add some information which is unfortunately missing. It was our first family holiday (our baby daughter has just turned 1 year) and therefore we did lots of research and spent lots of time reading the travel reviews. In the end we agreed on Pine Cliffs, Albufeira, as the resort seemed to meet all our requirements. We rented a townhouse as I still have to cook for the baby. For this reason I packed a mixer, blender, etc, but really didn't need to bother as in terms of kitchen appliances there was everything we needed - pans, juice maker, and even a mixer - which allowed me to make fresh food for the baby every day. After a year of babysitting we really wanted to try and spend some time together so we took advantage of the Hotel Kids Club 'Porta Pirata'. I must say that this was the best decision we had made - the staff were superb - well trained, very skilled and friendly, engaging kids in various activities, sharing your child progress, readily fulfilling any extra requirements you might have (in terms of food, sleep, etc.). Our baby spent 8 half days and 2 full days there, and every time we picked her from the nursery she was shining with joy! So I would like to say a huge thank you to all Porta Pirata ladies, who made our stay so much more enjoyable and let us feel like a couple again! One more thing I would like to mention is the hotel Tennis academy - the tennis instructors were great, very friendly, engaging and skilled, they care for people of all age groups and abilities and I must say that in 10 days (we took a lesson every day) they made a huge difference to our game, we are extremely pleased with the progress we made. A huge 'thank you' to Brit who coached us both and whose lessons we were looking forward to every day! There is one more thing I would not want to miss mentioning - the restaurant 'Willie's' located in Vilamoura which is 15-20 min drive from Pine Cliffs. We had an absolutely amazing night out at this place! The best quality food, superbly prepared, combined with the elegant atmosphere and highly experienced and discreet staff! All the dishes (we both had a starter, a main and a dessert + petite four) were excellent! I was extremely puzzled and disappointed to have found that it's rated 40th in Algarve! In my opinion, it's a must place to go to if you appreciate gourmet food and refined but very cosy and friendly atmosphere! Some mentioned that the restaurant is on a pricey side, though I'd argue. Having had a bottle of French champagne and an outstanding three meal dinner accompanied by very well selected wines, we paid £220. It is a bit pricier than the others, but the quality is incomparable (and we tried a few). Besides, you would pay a double in a Michelin Star restaurant in London. Our only regret was that we discovered this place 2 days before our departure and didn't have a chance to come back!
Normally we never go to the same hotels twice but prefer discovering new places instead. In this case we'd certainly be coming back to Pine Cliffs as the resort met and exceeded all our expectations!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Irina B
pinecliffsAlbufeira, Guest Relations Manager at Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear Guest,

We were delighted with your kind words about our Resort facilities and the service quality and we are pleased to understand that the Townhouse unit fully met your expectations and provided you everything you needed in order to have a comfort and relaxed family holidays.

Your comments are extremely valuable to us and we are happy to learn how much you have enjoyed your recent stay. Thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with the service you received, especially at Porto Pirata and the Tennis Academy. It is always gratifying to receive such praise as customer care is amongst our highest priorities and we have promptly shared your comments with those concerned.

We are also happy to learn to hear such good comments on one of our most recommended Restaurants and that you have enjoyed the local cuisine.

We look forward for the opportunity to welcome you back to our Resort.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

We have just returned from the Sheraton Pine Cliffs. Booked via Jet2 for a family holiday - taking our 5 year old and 3 year old abroad for the first time. There are plusses and minuses to this place. On the plus side: has something for everyone - a golf course (ask about promotions when booking, my other half got club and shoe hire for free and a big discount off the round of golf when he asked), a spa, lots of great outdoor swimming pools and a lovely indoor one, tennis courts, a beautiful beach, and the most fabulous kids club. On the negative side: the restaurants are very expensive (think £14 for a sandwich with a few chips, £8 for a plate of nachos which were just tortillas with grated cheese, or £30 for a steak). Admittedly, most of the food (nachos excepted) was delicious, but in my opinion overpriced. Kids meals are around £8 but don't include a drink or dessert so the bill ends up rather a lot, if like us, you have 2 who don't want to share but eat small amounts. There is a charge for the kids club - don't assume it's free as with many of the tour operators in Spain etc. To use the indoor pool you have to purchase a swimming hat (£4 per hat!) - bring your own if you are planning to go! Our main negative point was the townhouse itself. We were in one at the front of the resort (B27) - for adults, or people with teenagers it would have been ok, although the décor is tired and there are cracks to tiles etc, but for people with under 6s this type of accommodation is really not suitable at all. The kids room (the twin) had a balcony leading off it - this couldn't be locked with a child lock and could be opened by children. Our boys like jumping and climbing so I was in constant panic that they would discover the doors behind the curtains which I kept closed at all times. Their room was on the first floor so a quick leap over the balcony would result in pretty nasty injuries. There is a mezzanine type balcony on the first floor to allow you to look over into the dining area - again - inviting mischievous 3 year olds to get a chair and climb over. The hotel had provided stair gates to the stairs, but seemed not to have realised these were pointless as there was a stone plinth between the two gates offering the best jumping option ever from the stairway to the front door. I would not advise anyone with little children to go for the townhouses, not safe! Around the beds there is a wooden base with extremely sharp corners - we all had bruised toes this week, but that's a fairly minor gripe.

Outside the resort you can find some good restaurants which are much cheaper than the hotel's own. We enjoyed good food at the Pinhal (directly opposite the entrance) and at Hugo's Snack Bar (tapas was very good, and the jugs of "green" wine were lovely). The "lobster" restaurant down the road and round the corner was our favourite - we didn't have lobster but the food was really authentically algarvian and the staff were friendly and helpful. There is also a small children's play area there.

The best thing, in my opinion, about Pine Cliffs is Porto Pirata - the children's club - we used the kids club a few times and the staff were absolutely excellent. In particularly Claudia and Andrea who were so friendly and lovely with our boys. They look after children up to the age of 8 and have activities like water games, mini golf and treasure hunts - our kids loved it.

Before we left we looked at the apartments around the golf course - these are really lovely, and we have now looked into becoming members of the Vacation Club as they offer much nicer accommodation than the townhouses and would be ideal for future stays.

In conclusion, we all had a great holiday, if you avoid the townhouses this place is certainly somewhere to return to for people with children. All of the staff we met were lovely - the reception staff and concierges in particular went out of their way to be helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid the townhouses if you have small children. Always ask about promotions for everything - they d...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank MikeJen07
pinecliffsAlbufeira, Guest Relations Manager at Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to acknowledge that you had a pleasant stay at our Resort, although we regret to learn that the accommodation booked did not met your expectations.

While we regret to learn about the inconveniences, we genuinely appreciate your feedback, as it gives us the opportunity to follow up on your experience and to ensure our service is up to our usual standards. Your remarks were worth of our best attention and we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to our consideration and please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We are thankful for your kind words about our Resort facilities and especially for your compliments on our associates helpfulness and friendliness. We have brought your comments to the attention of those concerned.

It will be our biggest pleasure to welcome you again at our Resort and please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Relations or Reservations Departments and we will take care of your special requests or preferences.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Stayed during Easter with 2 young children. The accommodation in the s blocks was very good and the kids loved it, my wide was especially happy with the wardrobe space. The beach was fantastic although the weather was a little inclement and made it hard with the kids but I imagine in summer it would be amazing. The resort is very relaxing and we stayed on site for the the whole week - it takes a little walking around if you do not have a car but I enjoyed the setting and it was good to walk off the any excess.
Kids activities looked pretty good although we spent a lot of time in the porta pirata area and it is becoming tired and needs seeing too e.g mini golf surface not great, a very worrying health and safety issue with the kids pool (part of black paving was broken and both our children injured themselves on it), bikes and scooters in the playground were getting tired.

Pool areas were good and well attended for service.

The food was a bit of a shocker and I say this with a background in running a gastro pub group so I may be a little picky but I make no apologies. The breakfast was poor, lots of choice yes but bacon cold all the time, sausages part cooked, boiled runny yolk eggs are non existent unless you are first there, pancakes very heavy and just wrong - the rack rate for this is 20 euro and it is sub standard to an average 3 star in uk.

The dinner experiences we had were very poor in the o grill and ok in the piri piri , the later seems to be better value for Money possibly due to it being available to the public without having to enter the resort. At the o grill the risotto was sloppy and over priced. We also had several very poor experiences with kids food - I will never undertstand why any restaurant just charges one price for kids up to the age of 11 when the eating capacity of a 2 year old to an 11 year old vary so much. Kids meals were about 8 pounds and the quality was poor every time. The cream of the crop was the 9 pounds I paid for nachos with cheese which were abject at best. Please please sort your food quality and pricing out and I am sure you will convince more people to eat more. The only salvation for the food is that they have little immediate competition although I would recommend pizza at the Italian just outside the resort and the Chinese is not very good but I promise an experience which will keep you amused well beyond your holiday.

Apologies for the food rant as place is very relaxing and we would go again but we would think about where to eat very hard.

The on resort shuttle service was superb and acted as a regular taxi

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cocktailsanddreamsss

Dear Guest,

Is with pleasure that we note that you have enjoyed your family holidays with us and we are happy to learn that the Pine Cliffs Residence Suite fulfilled your family expectations.

We are thankful for your kind words on our Resort and, although we regret to learn that the Restaurants offer did not meet your expectations and that you felt that Porto Pirata needed some improvements, we genuinely appreciate your feedback, as it gives us the opportunity to follow up on your experience and to ensure our service is up to our usual standards. Your remarks were worth of our best attention and we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to our consideration and please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience experienced.

We truly hope you grant us another opportunity to welcome you back and to restore your confidence in our Hotel and Resort.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 7 April 2013

I stayed at the Pine Cliffs Residence for one week during Easter 2013/ end of March, with two friends. We had a 2-br apartment of ~114 square meters.
About the facilities: we were very happy with the apartment, very spacious & modern furniture, a lot of TV channels. There were several outdoor pools nearby, the restaurant O Grill, the sauna & steam bath. I tried the indoor pool & jacuzzi, too - all fine (ok: maybe sometimes too many kids running around, but it's mainly a family resort). I appreciated the bar near the reception (I went there twice, there were 2 concerts quite nice and I also played pool). Everything was very good - except for the weather (out of 6 full days/ 4 were all rainy).
While the hotel & facilities are nice, the problem is that there is not so much to do outside the resort, especially when it's raining... We rented a car, so managed to drive a bit around (Sagres, Tavira and Albufeira) - but we were not impressed, I guess we had too many expectancies... I guess when it's hot & sunny, it's a lot better - but we didn't really have the chance to experience it :)
Upsides: Facilities - very good. Service was very good: Luisa was very energetic in the morning to deal with accommodating people for breakfast and Gina was very helpful for the reservation & general info - thanks again :)!
Downsides: I'm a Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), so I expected to have the night/points put on my account. Not possible to receive the points for the accommodation, since the booking was made on "booking.com" - and I believe this is unfair; Wifi is available for free only in limited areas (near the reception) and difficult to connect - for the rooms is payable (and actually the rate is quite high)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank FlorinD568
pinecliffsAlbufeira, Guest Relations Manager at Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Dear Guest,

We are thankful for your feedback and we are glad to learn that the Pine Cliffs Residence Suite fulfilled your expectations and provide you a relaxing stay at our Resort.

We truly appreciate your compliments on the Hotel Bar and Health Club facilities, as well as your kind comments on our associates.

Kindly note that as per SPG conditions, members of the Starwood Preferred Guest Program earn Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent at over 1000 participating hotels or resorts when booking through Starwood Websites, Hotels or Starwood call centers. However, even without a stay, all members may earn Starpoints for eligible expenses on food and beverage at participating hotels or resorts. Please note the corresponding SPG points were credit to your account after your departure.

We appreciate the points raised and we would like to present our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We regret that due to the weather you weren’t able to fully enjoy your stay, and so we look forward to welcome you back for a future visit, hopefully on sunny days.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2013

We had a 2 bedroom penthouse...penthouse being used by the resort to describe any apartment located on the top floor! It was a beautiful apartment in the "S" blocks, so apparently newly built in the last couple of years. The apartment was finished Ian high quality, came with a decent sized kitchen with electric cooktop, oven, microwave oven and there was also a separate laundry with front loader washer as well as a dryer. Very useful with two young children.

The resort itself is starting to show signs of wear and tear. Simple things like the Porto Pirata Kids Club signs were completely faded and in need of renovation. The playground had some pretty average equipment and some of the ride on cars/trikes are also showing signs of age, some wheels not working. We did use both the indoor and outdoor pools, even though the weather was pretty variable. My sons had brought their wetsuits for swimming outside and they had a great time. The indoor pool is not well thought out, where you have to go up stairs and through the gym to get to the toilets and change rooms - not very convenient for small children who need the toilet during a swim.

The children's menu was consistent throughout the resort and has been expanded since last time we were here. Prices were as expected and the best restaurant for us on the resort was the Piri Piri. The supermarket across the road was as we remembered it...still over priced and with freezer stock that seems to have been thawed then refrozen.

The best thing for us was the Easter Egg Hunt on Sunday morning...almost all kids on the resort came out and went wild hunting for eggs in the beautiful grounds. A really special treat. Another Easter treat was the special treatments on offer through the spa.

We had a lovely time, our second time at the resort, but would recommend that they start looking at updating some facilities like the kids club (not really up to par, such as The Westin Costa Navarino Resort in Greece) and doing some renovations. We're likely to go to the Costa Navarino rather than come back here.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Is with pleasure that we note that you have enjoyed your family holidays at our resort and we are happy to learn that the Pine Cliffs Residence Suite fulfilled your expectations and had everything your family needed for a relaxing vacation.

Although we regret to learn that our Resort hasn’t fully met your expectations, we genuinely appreciate your feedback, as it gives us the opportunity to follow up on your experience and to ensure our service is up to our usual standards. Your remarks were worth of our best attention and we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to our consideration and please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience experienced.

On the other hand, we are pleased to acknowledge that the Easter Egg Hunt was a success among your children and the special Easter offers at the Spa were a treat for the parents. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

This is an SPG Luxury Collection that uses the same property as the Sheraton Algare Hotel, both rated *****. Advantages exist for each but we chose the residences and had a 2 BR apartment on the golf course a short walk form the O Grille, a fine eating establishment for the property serving Breakfast (Included in our stay) and Dinner. The 9-hole golf course on property is Par 32 but do not let that deter you if you are a serious golfer as it it the finest course of this style I have enjoyed and has perhaps two of THE most spectacular holes in the Algarve. It is advertised for families, but is just fine for couples and even groups of golfers as it is very central to other very fine golf courses via car. Our Scottish friends recommended the Algarve and it was a great getaway - far from Florida and the desert locations for winter US getaways.

Room Tip: Facing the course and near the restaurant & pool facilities.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redanman

Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate your feedback and we are happy to acknowledge how much you have enjoyed your stay with us and the Resort facilities. Thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with our Golf Course, we are happy to learn it was a good challenge and also offered you good moments.

We are grateful for your recommendation and we hope that we may have the pleasure to welcome you at our Hotel and Resort in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

stayed at pine cliffs over Easter. Sport facilities are good AND EXPENSIVE but it feels like they do not trust their clientele at all which is very surprising given the cost. Tennis courts really expensive per hour, towels need to leave a card to ensure they get them back, can only get 1 towel per person. Kids club and junior club is beyond uninspiring and a rip-off. Supervised football 14 per head, every activity has to be paid for. Equipment in the arcade shabby, table tennis bats broken etc. when we asked , we were told it was run by an outside company , too much info, client just wants it sorted.

All the restaurants are dark, 2 are in the basement which makes no sense considering people are getting away to the sun.

The shops are quite useless, I didn't see anyone in them while I was there and it looks like they bought the stock 20 years ago.
It's a shame to waste the facilities here as they are fantastic but a decent overhaul could double the occupancy,

Not a patch on the equivalent hotels in the US or Caribbean.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Slowma
pinecliffsAlbufeira, Guest Relations Manager at Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Dear Guest,

We genuinely appreciate your feedback, as it gives us the opportunity to follow up on your experience and to ensure our service is up to our usual standards.

We truly regret to learn about your disappointment and we are sorry to hear that we have failed to meet your expectations, for what we would like to present our most sincere apologies. Your remarks were worth of our best attention and we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to our consideration.

We truly hope you grant us another opportunity to restore your confidence in our Hotel and Resort.

Kind Regards,

Guest Relations Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort
#1 of 14 in Almancil
Salgados Dunas Suites
Salgados Dunas Suites
#20 of 154 in Albufeira

Been to Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!