“5 star accommodation 3 star service”

Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #33 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Travelled as a family with 2 kids of 6 & 4. This is our second visit as the Residences and Grounds are spacious and beautifully kept plus it's so useful to have the option of preparing your own food especially with young kids.
My main problem with this place is that it coasts on the fact that it has great facilities and whilst many of the waiting staff are charming and helpful the overall permeating ethos is graceless and money grabbing:
On our first stay, I checked my kids in to 5 mornings at the kids club and after one session they decided they didn't want to go back, I cancelled all the sessions in person when I picked them up. However, I was still charged for one session which I didn't realise til I had left. When I rang up and disputed this, I was told they had checked with the kids club who insisted I had not cancelled all the sessions(!) and from that moment on failed to return my calls. However, I still went back, there are problems with service when the Residences are at full capacity, reception staff are particularly unhelpful and sometimes misleading, food is at best fine but not outstanding. The half board buffet at 40€ a head is appalling value - unimaginative and sub-standard, especially when you consider that had one paid for it in advance and then chose to eat in an a la carte restaurant you would only receive 37€ towards the cost of that meal- who worked out the maths of that?
My departure flight was late so I asked for a late check out, by now the hotel was far from full and In any other 5* establishment would have been granted, here I was treated as an inconvenience, told 'maybe', then 'no', then 'yes'. The last 2 responses given within the space of 10 minutes strongly suggesting there were in fact no new guests checking into my room and I was charged 15€ per hour for each hour beyond 11am whilst my friends who checked out at 1pm were not charged anything extra. Inconsistent and unprofessional, to say the least.
One feels they don't really care about returning guests as there will always be a fresh batch of parents grateful for the serviced appts in hotel grounds with kid club vibe. Would I go back? Not if I could help it.

Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank Ruth D
pinecliffsAlbufeira, Guest Relations Manager at Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your preference for Pine Cliffs Residence and having had the time to share your experience through Tripadvisor.

We regret to learn that we haven’t fully met your expectations with some of the services provided at the children Porto Pirata and at Casa Pine Cliffs reception.

Your comments are worth of our best attention and please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused. We would like to invite you to contact us through 00199.algarveguestrelations@luxurycollection.com, should you wish to address any subject in particular.

We truly hope you grant us another opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel and Resort and make your next stay memorable.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed in a 3 bedroomed residence in the beautifully manicured grounds of Sheraton Algarve, although quite a walk from the main hotel there is a clubhouse bar, grill restaurant and 2 swimming pools nearby. The residence was cleaned everyday with fresh towels and summer duvets (hooray !) the floors and surfaces were squeaky clean. I do wish they wouldn't keep giving me chocolate though as I feel obliged to eat it ! Golf course, range, etc. football for the kids, tennis courts, day camp for the little'ies. Choice of eating places and even a new Japanese "Yasuku" place to try. One tip - dont bother with Albufeira.

Room Tip: Ground floor residences open straight out onto the garden; may be a problem with small children as t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jasi2013

Dear Guest,

We were delighted to realize that our facilities at the Residences and the Hotel grounds, food and services contributed to a most enjoyable stay at Pine Cliffs Resort.

Customer care is amongst our highest priorityes and your comments are extremely important to us, as they motivate us to continue to improve our services.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we look forward for your next visit.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We love the residences. In summary:

- The room accommodation is truly 5* deluxe. The best we have experienced since travelling with a family. Extremely well maintained, well equipped, spacious, spotless and brilliant for families so everyone has their own space.

- Breakfast at the O Grill is in a great setting with large tables well spaced out on a covered terrace overlooking pool. Fresh coffee pot comes quickly along with freshly squeezed juice to table. Just what Is required first thing in the morning! I think there could be more fresh fruit options if I were to be picky. Cherries, peaches, mango missing that were on the menu at Villa Vita where we stayed in advance of Pine Cliffs, but setting and service make breakfast a real pleasure.

- Staff were all friendly and helpful. Many have worked here for a long time as we recognised them from previous visits.

- Cordoba Cafe is an outdoor restaurant overlooking main hotel pool and offers casual all day dining in a fab setting. Great option for an early informal dinner as a family. We tended to eat there with the children at the end of the day at 6pm after walking up from the beach. I don't know of many hotels which offer such a great flexible dining option and saved us having to go back and change and come out again later in the evening. Great ice creams ad sorbets which the children go up and chose after dinner too.

- I left my bag of lotions, magazine and beach toys on a lounger and when I came back later the pool area was closing down and items had gone. When I asked at reception the next morning Paula ensured all items saw their way back to me. Great news!

- A pre dinner cocktail at Mirador at sunset is a must.

Improvements:
14 Euro is excessive for my son aged 7 to play in a football tournament. I understand winning team get cheap medals but considering it is just a simple kick around I think too high. He enjoyed it of course, so he played twice!

A bottle of mineral water in the apartment on arrival please! Only option is to call room service and pay an extortionate delivery service, just to have a simple drink. When you arrive somewhere late and your child asks for a drink at 8pm it is really frustrating, as no minibar either. Forget the complimentary port.

Wifi would be great to include in the rooms rather than pay a surcharge.

Room Tip: We always book a room with garden access on ground floor as we have young children, so great for the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
pinecliffsAlbufeira, Guest Relations Manager at Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to learn that you have once again enjoyed your stay with us and that the Residence Suites offered your family all the comfort and facilities for the most relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Your praise on our associates and kind comments about the breakfast at O Grill, dinner at Corda Café and our Mirador Bar are extremely valuable to us and they motivate us to continue to improve our services and to create lifetime memories for our guests.

Your suggestions about providing a bottle of water in the room upon arrival, free WI-FI and the Junior Club prices were worth of our best attention and we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We look forward to welcome you again to our Resort.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

perfect family vacation, the residence are superb. and the housekeepers do a wonderful job , ( though please stop giving us all clean robes every day, we hang them up but get clean ones every day, must cost a fortune in laundry bills !
The holiday was even better this year as we were familiar with the resort, lots of walking, but we like to walk, if you have mobility issues, do stay in the main hotel.
Service and hospitality are very good ( for those who want better customer service go to Disney ....you know who you are.... you who prefer servants not servers...... )
Food and drink very good, we went to all the restaurants on the resort, cocktails are excellent, perfectly mixed. staff all seemed happy and well managed.
There were only two venues where I did not tip ( and I love to tip, as I spent many years working in the hospitality industry, and know how to behave around those who serve me.... ) the beach cafe and the Japanese restaurant, Yakuza', had snotty staff, and I did not spend my money there again, me thinks they are not managed well.....
just one small gripe, the golf greens are too soft and so are the gardens, Pine cliffs water the grounds way too much !
The family wants to book for next year, that is how much we loved it :)

Room Tip: All look good
1  Thank Xanado

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your recommendation and support. Your compliments on our associates and the Resort facilities and services are much appreciated, customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

Your suggestions about the golf greens and the housekeeping service in the room are much welcome, as we aim to continuously improve the quality of our services, and were promptly shared with our Management Team.

We look forward to see you again next year.

Our best regards,

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Used as a base for golf in the area. Hotel, surroundings are immaculate, clean & neat everywhere. Food in the restaurant was plentiful but a tad pricey. Loads of places nearby to eat ( the restaurant near the hotel entrance was always busy and good value ) but hey this is the Sheraton and the standard of the rooms, staff, bars is perfect, and you need to pays for this!
Golf at this hotel cost two of us Euro100, for 9 holes that is just too much. There's plenty of courses everywhere if you're a golf fanatic. ( need a car )
Overall 9.5/10 will definitely be there again in the spring.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course, and/or gardens area.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor and for your support and recommendation.

We were delighted with your kind comments about our Resort grounds, Restaurants and bars, Golf course, rooms and associates. Your remarks on the Restaurants and Golf prices were worth of our best consideration and were promptly shared with our Management Team. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We look forward to welcome you again next spring.

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 September 2013

My two teenage daughters (18, 16) and I stayed here in late August, sharing a two bed townhouse (could have slept 6). Overall I'd say you just about get what you pay for: it's peaceful - certainly a far cry from the nearby town, clean, tidy, and overall rather pretty. The accommodation was spacious - two en-suite bedrooms; sitting room; dining area; and well equipped kitchen (washer, dishwasher, micro-wave, oven/hob, loads of utensils (including a blender) and - remarkably - both egg spoons and tea spoons! The air-con was excellent, and at night effective without being very intrusive. Cable TV had channels from most major Euro countries.

You never walk very far without seeing someone tending something, and the estate sprinkler system would be the envy of a top golf club. This could be a retirement home for gardeners. It certainly didn't feel busy, and despite some reviews complaining about a lack of loungers etc. we never saw this - and we're no early risers; they should try a visit to the main beach in Albufeira for a bit of perspective. You may not get one in prime location right by the pool side, but there's only so much pool-side available. Down on the beach the check-in system works well, and ensures that interlopers don't squat on the loungers there (they check every five minutes or so) - and the beach is, for all intents and purposes, private. It's fairly tightly packed, but no more so than on one of the other beaches we visited one day - and there we sat on our towels, not on a padded lounger with a sail shade.

Apart from one meal in the Piri-Piri, we catered for ourselves (there's a more than adequate mini-market immediately across from the main entrance) or ate off-site. The Piri-Piri did little other than to prove the validity of (most of) the other reviews I'd read: the food was over-priced, and not very impressive. One daughter's Piri-Piri chicken was dry; my squid was okay. The experience was dragged down slightly by some guests' children charging around noisily on the grass alongside the extensive patio - maybe the parents were glad of the break. And therein lies the rub of this kind of holiday - sometimes you just trade one class of oik for another!

The staff were endlessly polite, smiling and courteous. We had a minor confusion at check-in, soon corrected, and one of the staff went above the call of duty on helping me to pay a parking fine. I was slightly surprised that charging to the tab was invariably honesty based - not once was I asked for proof that I was indeed staying in the house number I tendered.

Heed what others say about location, though if you're fit and mobile nowhere is more than ten minutes' walk from either the entrance or the lift to the beach - the entire estate on the long diagonal can't be more than 1.5 miles.

...and if you're going to hire a car direct from the hotel (or any hotel) and then be surprised by the price then you've clearly never tried shopping around: it's really not that hard people!

There was plenty to do that we never had time to get around to: the games room; the various pools; golf; cycling; the spa. I'd wanted to sample the cliff-top bar at sunset - but we were never around (or my daughters were on their prolonged beautification regime) - and the loungers between the hotel and the cliff-lift to the beach, scattered between the trees these were definitely located more in the shade and relative cool.

My minor gripes were the cost of add-ons: tennis courts etc. - though I suppose it keeps usage down a bit; and also wi-fi. I can live without it, remembering a time when as children we talked to each other rather than texting across the table, but it's a long time since I stayed in a major hotel without extensive wi-fi (there was none in our townhouse), and most nowadays see the folly of charging. Given the basic cost to stay, it's a tad money-grabbing to add €9 per day - that said it's free around the environs of the hotel reception.

Room Tip: If you aren't in the main hotel, accept the likelihood of a pretty ten minute walk to the action...
2  Thank Uponamoor

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recommendation on Tripadvisor. We are happy to learn that the Resort facilities, Townhouse accommodation, restaurants, bars and activities provided you the most enjoyable stay with us.

Your comments are extremely important to us, as they motivate us to continue to improve our services and certainly they will be important to other guests who will be influenced to visit Pine Cliffs Resort

We are looking forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed here in a 3 bedroom apartment with three generations. It is a great resort for families, but felt crushed by the number of visitors, significantly detracting from the "luxury" experience.

-the resort is HUGE. Really a combination of the Pine Cliffs Residences, Sheraton Algarve hotel, and numerous timeshares/condos. As such, despite having hundreds of sun loungers and 6+ pools, there is a constant battle for chairs/space.
-Unless you are staying in the hotel, I would strongly recommend a rental car. We were a five minute drive from breakfast, beach, pools. There is a free shuttle, but it appeared very slow & inadequate.
-it is focused on families. There are inflatable toys everywhere. Tons of kids, lots to do. But if it was supposed to be a romantic escape, I suspect you would be frustrated. That said, if you are looking for a place for the whole family (babies, teens, grandparents) you have found it.
-our three bed apartment was great. Dishwasher, laundry, lovely beds, 3 balconies.
-great beach for swimming, playing, & walking. But it does get packed
- service can be very spotty, especially when it is crowded.

Overall it is a great resort, but it feels much more "Sheraton" than "Luxury Collection"

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank American_in_l0nd0n

Dear Guest,

We are happy to learn that you have had a most pleasant family holiday at Pine Cliffs Residence and that the residence accommodation corresponded fully to your family needs.

In the meantime, we regret to understand that the number of guests in the resort compromised part of your relaxing time, we recommend visiting us off the peak season or choosing another location from the five exterior swimming pools inside of the resort that is not so crowded.

We do hope that you may visit us in the near future and grant us another opportunity to provide you another different experience at Pine Cliffs Resort.

Kind Regards,

Guest Relations Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort
#1 of 14 in Almancil
Salgados Dunas Suites
Salgados Dunas Suites
#20 of 154 in Albufeira

Been to Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!