Algarve Gardens
Alpinus Hotel(Albufeira)
Falesia Hotel(Albufeira)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsstudio blockshort boardwalkgorgeous marinaas stated in previous reviewsbus stopvillamoura marinafull size fridgeslamming doorsolder guestsa stones throwspacious balconyprivate beachdaily maid servicebed linenwinter breaknightly entertainmentseparate kitchen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I am a seasoned traveller to Portugal - and know this complex, have stayed in hotel before, and with friends nearby. The studio apartments are dark, unwelcoming & nothing at all what I would expect from the Alfamar hotel grounds - do not stay unless you really dont care or are not going to be there! I didnt stay even though I booked and paid for two nights & when I told reception why they just shrugged n smirked.... agree with all bad comments on the Algarve Garden studio apts and the attitude of the staff in the hotel - not at all in keeping with fabulous beach & surrounding grounds in hotel.

Room Tip: Book at T1 not a studio
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alicazinha
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We have just returned from our 3rd. visit to this property. Although the tourist apartments are basic and a little dated, they are set in a great location, are kept very clean with daily maid service and change of bed linen at least once in a 7 day stay, clean towels daily and the use of all the facilities of the Alfamar. A private beach, outdoor pool, indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna, nightly entertainment, an 'animation' team with daily activities in the high season - what more could you really ask for and all at a reasonable price. You have supermarkets a short distance away from the apartments if you want to self-cater and local friendly resaurants within a 5 minute walk if you don't. You need to be reasonably fit if you are on the top floor of the apartments - 3 flights of stairs and no lifts but please giv Algarve Gardens the credit they deserve and don't be over-influenced by the negativities on here.

Room Tip: A studio with a garden view is preferable
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stuart A
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Iv visited many many countries and stayed in many different hotels & apartments from 2* to 5* this review is not an exaggeration it's the truth ! It is impossible to say everything in this one review of my experience of this hotel. For starters I knew I was staying in the studio apartments not the hotel itself as I booked this and I expected it to be less quality than the hotel as hotel is 4* and studios are 3* I was not expecting a 5 star resort. But what me and my boyfriend experiencd here there are no words to describe the treatment we received from the rude staff at the hotel & The most disgusting room I have ever seen it was no more than a 1*.
Rooms are suppose to be cleaned 6 days a week but in reality the beds where hardly ever changed as I noticed the same stain on the bed sheets for a long time ! Maids do half a job by making the beds to make it look like its changed , bins not changed often, clean towels/ toilet roll sometimes not left , rooms themselves have no air con , no kettle , fridge was broken as it had this terrible loud noise coming from it & covered in rust with the most disgusting smell of rotten fish when was opened . No sun came near balcony so very hard to dry clothes , nowhere to hang clothes as there was bird droppings all over balcony. Rooms basically have never seen an upgrade in the 35 years they are there. The place needs demolished. Paint flaking everywhere, rust on everything.
The staff are rude, unhelpful and unprofessional, especially the 3 women we had experience with. We arrived at hotel at around 11am we were checked in abruptly, staff did not greet us or wish us a good Time or anything and just handed us the most confusing map to find our own way to the room ourselves as the studios are in blocks away from the hotel the complex is massive consisting of the hotel itself, ALOT of villas and 2 blocks of apartments. somebody could have helped us to our room as they where all sitting about chatting but didn't bother helping and left us to find it ourselves it took us a long time to find the apartments dragging suitcases in the severe heat at one stage finding ourselves unknowingly walking to the beach ! When we eventualy found it we had to lift our suitcases up 4 flights of stairs as no lift ! The staff where so unhelpful through our whole holiday they made us feel like an inconvenience we came across no other guests that spoke English as there first language nobody from uk or Ireland unless they ran away from hotel at every opportunity like us !! It was all Portuguese people which was one of the reasons we feel like they didn't want us there . We witnessed the female staff on reception desk laughing and joking about guests as they walked past laughing about how fat a man was and about "Dutch" people and many other unprofessional things like them leaving the phone off the hook ( thinking to myself that was dangerous because what if I needed to contact the reception if something happened to me or my boyfriend as we where away from hotel in studios) they just left the phone off hook to continue laughing and making fun of how guests look as they walk past. We witnessed this while waiting for a taxi which always took them ages to ring for us one night them telling us to wait outside and I asked how long would it be and to her reply she said "I don't know wait outside all night I don't know" the cheek we received was unbelievable and they very clearly talked about us when we walked away looking over discussing and laughing in a different language that they knew we did not speak as we spoke English. Taxis to Albefueira are 18€ each way we had to pay this every night as no places to eat round hotel ! There is nothing around hotel to do me and my boyfriend where lucky to have enough money to be able to go in and out of Albefueira and enjoy ourselves but this might not be possible for families. We chose not to eat in hotel as staff where so rude and don't cater for the Irish or English only Portuguese and German, we spent a lot of money it was a very expensive holiday because of the money we had to pay gettin to places. There was one nice cafe we ate in for breakfast that was very cheap just outside the complex .
You are very brave if you are coming here Thomas cook booked us here they said they have sent loads of people to the studios but they need to stop in my opinion English / Scottish / welsh & Irish are not welcome they make that very clear by the way they treat u .
Hotel is right on the beach it is beautiful but is very crowded with locals who drive and use hotel parking for the beach ( they aren't suppose to but nobody stops them) there is cars parked everywhere on every bit of path available so u dodge ur way through them to get to it.
Do not come to this hotel or stay in the studios or villas unless u want to be treated terrible live in a dirty prison cell . It would be hell for an english speaking family. very disappointed as this  was my first time in portugal and very much enjoyed my holiday when I was away from complex the staff gave a very bad reflection on portugeise people and their country shame on them no idea how they can get away with treating guests like that . The worst women on reception was slim, brown hair,with red glasses look out for her in my opinion she should be sacked ! No manager in the world should have unprofessional staff working for them. If u are already booked change hotel !
Sorry for very long review it still hasnt even got half of what we experienced in it goodluck to future guests we have never experienced a room / staff that where this terrible.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
24  Thank Ireland T
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I wanted to write a short review to tell people not to read other reviews about Algarve Gardens. My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week at the beginning of August and it was perfect for us! Despite what people say, yes the rooms are basic however we didn't pay big money to stay here and expected less than what we got. The maids were attentive and cleaned everyday and we were surprised to have a balcony/terrace which looked out on the rest of the complex. The pool and beach are all in touching distance which is perfect if you want to relax for a week as we did. When I read reviews saying we were in the middle of no where it did worry me, but we ventured 10 minutes walk up the road to find a lovely square with many restaurants, a shop and another beach to access. I wanted to write this to tell people that of you want to relax and enjoy some good food and weather this is the place. If you are looking for 5 star treatment then obviously not, however I would suggest not to look at these sort of prices if that is what you're after. Over all service was brilliant and we had a fantastic week here!!

• Stayed: August 2012
9  Thank Emilywheeler
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My partner booked a 10 day stay in mid July as a holiday for both of us. Unfortunately my partner passed away unexpectedly in April. The holiday was already paid for and at short notice and in a state of turmoil, plans had to be adjusted (expensively and unsympathetically by Travelsoon.com.) I had to take the holiday or lose the money. Knowing that this is what my partner wanted, I went with the plans/arrangements he had made. Reading the reviews on Trip advisor... what can one say. They were not good. At best average (some poor and avoid at all costs) or just above. Given the dreadful circumstances and the dreaded anticipation before arriving at this resort, i have to say I was very surprised. It is a backwater location but is also accessible to other towns/ cities. The beach is exclusive to those who stay here. Having travelled the world I have to say this beach and coastline is paradise. Can't think of one better. Talcum powder sands with crimson red cliffs washed by a turquoise tide with a gentle surf. If it's nightlife and a fast pace you seek then don't go here. Otherwise could not fault it in anyway. Two teenage daughters agree.

Room Tip: This is for a bungalow.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family