“Not the best but not the worst”
Review of Ourasol Apartments

Ourasol Apartments
Ranked #138 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed at Ourasol for a week, after making an extremely last minute booking. The bad points, the place is a bit dated. Our room was located above a very noisy generator of some sort which seemed to come on at regular intervals throughout the day and night. Other guests very noisy (not the hotel's fault) Self catering facilities were only just adequate, with no kettle, toaster or microwave. There's no vent in the bathroom and the rooms could have been cleaner on arrival. Having said all that, this is not expensive accommodation and we did book very last minute, so I wasn't expecting miracles. On the plus side, the pool was a good size and clean. The staff were very helpful and I actually thought it was a good idea to have the corridor lights on a timer, found this a lot of other places on our trip and I'm all for saving energy. The best thing about this place though is the location, 2 mins from the beach and 5 mins to the strip. It is up a hill but then most of the Algarve is hilly so if you don't like that go somewhere else for a holiday. Have stayed in better places but have also certainly stayed in worse.

Room Tip: Avoid a room above or near reception (noisy generator) go for rooms on the west side of the building...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mazalina

Reviewed 18 September 2013

on my arrival here it was clear to my eyes this was not modern, at all. for check in the man at reception could not find our reservation and continued to check emails on a very out dated computer, reminded me of windows 95 on a computer from the stone age. we got the keys anyway and headed to our apartment for the week. In brief, mildew was in the bathroom as there was no fan or vent. electrical supply was poor as we found out because if u wanted to use more than one hot plate and oven the power tripped out. there was no kettle or toaster and freezer compartment door on the under counter fridge was missing. the safe in the wardrobe was of no benefit as the lock had previously been drilled out. there was one air conditioning unit in the kitchen but you must hire the remote control from reception for 3EUR. There is also no children pool and the pool that is there is basic like the rest of the place. the apartment location was between the lower strip and Oura beach and located close to mini supermarket. overall these apartments was a place I left first thing in the morning and returned late at night because the bed is all it was good for, for me.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mrshound2012
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This was a last minute booking due to problems with a travel firm overbooking our original hotel.

On check in we were directed to another part of the building (this is no complex) which meant we had to climb 7 flights of stairs with no lift! When we got there the apartment was to be kind basic! We managed to change rooms the next day to one by reception, and this was marginally better. While it was cleaned every other day, the rest of the hotel was dated and for some reason very dark! The pool area is barely worth talking about as is small is not a place where you would want to hang out by. The apartment itself is in a good location, but if you have walking difficulties you will struggle as the hill up to the strip is a steep one (its about 5 min walk) downhill is to the beach which again is about 5 min downhill, shops and beach front restaurants nearby. As for the apartment, Im not bothered about kettle, microwave etc all I ask is a good fridge..we had that but everything else was very tired. The beds are rock hard and the shower is inconsistent at best (last 2 nights no hot water!). However we found staff friendly and they did what they can, as normal when abroad, talk to them with respect and you get things done, often the Brits forget they are in a different country and feel they can carry on like they are at home.

We didnt let this spoil the holiday as you arent there to stay in the apartment, but I do feel it needs to be habitable and comfortable, this barely made both...at least it made us go out a lot, as albluferia is a great place to visit and I would return, but never again to these apartments.

To call this a 3 star is a joke, I personally think its barely a 2 star and It doesn't have the feel of a hotel complex. Personally I would avoid and go for 4 star as a minimum as taxis are fairly cheap, I would be tempted to stay slightly outside the strip area or near old town. The strip is good and lively but mainly full of 18 to 25 year olds, doing the bars (there are plenty) I prefer old town which was a better mix of ages and nationalities and also I feel was a better atmosphere, depends on what you want really, bars and restaurants are plentiful in old town too.

Go to Albluferia but not to these apartments

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank skel0999
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed here in July with my two friends for 8 days, problems started as soon as we arrived. As you enter the reception, you can tell the hotel has not been updated for many years, the corridors on each floor have no windows and are constantly dark, there are light switches along the walls which you have to feel to find which only stay on 30 seconds maximum which is not long enough time to get into your room as the doors are very stiff and not easy to open/lock at all! Rooms were basic, although had to ask for a kettle twice as our room didn't have one. Balcony doors are very unsafe as they are 'locked' by a latch, in our first room we had to have the door open slightly to close the latch on the balcony door!
We faced many problems during our stay at this hotel; some Spanish guests in the room above us kept throwing cigarettes and ashtrays onto our balcony and then tried to force their way into our room (luckily we kept our door locked 24/7 and the locks are so old and rusty it would be a task for them to get in). After reporting them to reception and moving rooms, they found our new room a couple of days later, tried to force their way in again and turned off our electricity putting us in darkness. We complained a second time to the hotel staff who once again did nothing about this even though they said other guests had made complaints. The staff member said they would call the police the next time something happened even though we had already complained twice. The staff did not seem to care for the well-being of their guests at all! On our last day we spoke to the manager who said she had received several complaints about the guests and claimed it ‘wasn’t her fault’ for their behaviour yet failed to do anything about it. My friend also told the manager about a member of staff at reception who had been helpful and she didn’t even know the member of staff my friend was referring to. Many times we were given different answers by members of staff for example the first time we asked for a kettle, we were told we don’t get one at all then when we asked a second time to a different staff member, she said one would be given to us which it was. This showed there was no communication between them and they really didn’t care for their guests.
The maids came to our room once during the week although it states they would come four times. You also have to pay for pretty much everything from the safe which is €15 deposit and a further €2.50 per day, air con which is €1.50 per day, sun loungers by the pool which was €1.50, if you wanted clean towels they were €2.50 from reception and so on...
The pool doesn't have the sun on it for very long during the day due to it being surrounded by tall hotels therefore get there in the morning if you want any sun. These apartments need a complete revamp and need modernizing, me & my friends didn't expect much from this budget hotel but I definitely wouldn't say it deserves a 3*!
The only good points about it are the location, although it’s on a very steep hill, its minutes’ walk from the beach, the strip, bars & restaurants, supermarkets and so on.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kiki2194
Reviewed 16 July 2013

this awful hotel is the most dingiest, darkest, rudest, unsafe hotel I have ever stayed in. me and 2 other 19 year old girls stayed for 8 nights in July, we knew it was quite a cheap hotel but expected the hotel to be equipped with basic amenities, this was not the case. no toaster, no microwave, no kettle, when we asked for these we either got laughed at or didn't receive the kettle for a further 2 nights. No where states when booking this terrible hotel you have to pay for air con per day, sun beds by the pool per day, the safe per day, clean towels per day. me and my / friends were the only 3 English people at this hotel which was very intimidating, other guests obviously realised we was the minority and tried to break in to our hotel room on 2 separate occasions. This was not dealt in an acceptable manner by hotel staff, they either thought it was funny or didn't bother to help 3 vulnerable young girls. The staff of this terrible hotel are very slow and everything seems a problem when asking basic questions at reception.
the maids never bothered to clean the apartments.
This is an awful hotel and has ruined my opinions on Portugal and I will never return, I urge any one wanting to go here to thoroughly expect the worst and not enjoy there holida

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jjones12345
Reviewed 19 June 2013

You know what makes me laugh? People who pay bargain based prices and expect 5-star treatment.

You planning on coming to this place?? Expect a well cleaned bed and shower, a place to get your head down, brilliant staff and a swimming pool.

The self entitlement of people on holiday blows my mind. It seems, without doubt, an English trait.

The Ourasol is slap bang in the middle of it. Two mins down the street you have an amazing beach; two mins up a hill you are on the strip. Walk down the street and across the road is BJs cafe.

As i say, you want comfort. Avoid. You want a well kept central hub close to what is happening, this is your place.

Define how snobby you are before booking.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BriMaxwell
Reviewed 31 May 2013

first time in portugal stayed at the ourasol apts talk about hilly thought i was going to come back home shorter than i went anyway beaches were lovely hotel not up to much staff were good helping with advice were to go, not much else to do at night, be careful were to pick a place to stay as a lot of hotels are by there sell buy date but you get what you pay for wont be going back. not much fun trying to keep kids amused prices too high, and not a lot for kids to do cant stay on the beach all day.

Room Tip: if you end up in this hotel ask for a room high up as its much better and you will get a better sea...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple