Stayed here from the 3rd of July for 8 nights self catering. Nice hotel, very spacious rooms with very good self catering facilities. Hotel is very isolated and there is nothing nearby accept for the O Favinha restaurant (turn right out of the hotel , carry on straight and then left no more than a 5-10 minute walk, amazing food and very reasonably priced). No longer a supermarket in the hotel which means that unless you go straight to a supermarket in Albufeira you will pay 1.50 for a tiny bottle of water in the hotel. Bar lady around pool area could do with learning how to smile, quite miserable and unfriendly, pool bar prices are very expensive but are ok for the odd bite, but very expensive if you chose to eat there regularly, and always a big queue so be prepared to wait!
Did not use gym or indoor pool so I cannot comment but indoor pool is very very small but would be suitable for young children. Outdoor pool really is cold even in July but good for cooling off, just beware that the deepest end is 9ft deep and there is not much warning so beware with young children. Sunbed availability was ok for the first couple of days but as the hotel got busier we had to reserve our sunbeds by 9am otherwise you will be without one all day, most people reserve their sunbeds go out all day and use their sunbeds from 3pm onwards. However there is plenty of areas away from the pool that you can lay a towel on the grass.
Large tennis and football courts, did not use these but my understanding is that you pay a deposit for the equipment. Iron and ironing board available at reception, £25 euro deposit to pay. Air conditioning in the room was great however the Air con in the living area never worked very well but we may have been unlucky with our room.
The hotel is very large and is the nicest hotel I have personally stayed in, however it does lack character and atmosphere. Reception staff were very friendly and were happy to call Taxis for us at no charge, however taxis can take anything from 5 minutes to 1 hour, I would recommend getting a card from one of the taxi drivers and asking the hotel to call that particular taxi if you require more than a five seater for example as these seemed hard to come by but did not affect me personally but did seem a problem for families wanting to venture out. Wifi was free whilst we were there and worked around the pool area and lobby, we were on the fourth floor so did not work in the room but there was another free wifi called PT wifi which was useable out on the balcony. As we arrived when the Hotel was not as busy we were able to check in early but by the time we had left we were unable to get a late check out, however checkout is not untill 12:00 which is a lot better than previous hotels i have stayed in. There is a shower and storage room next to the reception and they will provide towels and access if you have a later flight.
As other people have said if you are self catering, bring a dishcloth, salt, pepper etc. I spent the week washing up with babywipes :)
Cleaners came in everyday and towels seemed to be changed very regularly, however they clean between 9-5, not great if you like a siesta!
Although we ventured out every evening, when we did return there did not seem to be much in the way of entertainment, the man that plays the piano is very good but not sure this is something that you would want to listen to every night. I believe there is some form of entertainment in the area next to the pool bar but we did not go there.
The free shuttle bus was good and runs Monday to Friday at 10:00, 12:00, 15:00 and 17:00 from the Hotel. The driver had a split personality and went from very friendly to quite rude quite quickly! The Hotel should think about running the shuttle bus in the evenings/weekends, perhaps for a small charge per person to eliminate the taxi issue.
I personally would recommend the Old town which has so much choice and is suitable for families, couples and teenagers. There is a beach bar which makes the best cocktails and you can lounge on beanbags. Taxis cost between £8-10 euros, new town is between £7-8 euros, the new town is good for a few drunken nights out but does seem to host a lot of bar crawls
The hotel is approximately 30-40 minutes from the airport and for us was the first and last stop, there did not seem to be any other hotels inbetween.
Overall a nice hotel but very much out in the sticks, i would probably not stay again for this reason but may look to stay at their sister hotel in the centre of Albufeira.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Balaia Atlantico is a natural oasis surrounded by the unique beauty and contrasts of the Algarve countryside, among the over 3 km of sandy beaches and crystal clear waters. Located on the outskirts of Albufeira, surrounded by magnificent forests of olive trees and lush citrus tree plantations, it offers spectacular ocean views from any of its 139 apartments. The use of some services such as Fitness Centre, Games Camps has an additional cost. The use of swimming cap in the indoor pool is mandatory. Customers can buy caps at € 4.50 / each at the front desk. Please note that for groups of young guests and/or stag/hen parties, a security deposit of EUR 250 per person will be requested, in cash or by charging the amount on a valid credit or debit card at the time of check-in. If the guest refuses to pay this security deposit, the entrance in the property will be denied. This security deposit will be refunded if no damages are made to the property. FCO Foreign Travel Advice for Portugal (May 2017) ‘There have been reports of an increase in holidaymakers being encouraged to submit a claim for personal injury if they have experienced gastric illness during their stay. You can find more information about the action you can take if you have suffered a personal injury on the Citizens Advice website. You should only consider pursuing a complaint or claim if you have genuinely suffered from injury or illness. If you make a false or fraudulent claim, you may face legal proceedings in the UK or Portugal’. If the Hotel considers a gastric illness claim to be false or fraudulent, it will pursue the matter in the Portuguese courts and sue for damages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Onthebeach, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Hotel Apartamento Balaia Atlantico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apartamento Balaia Atlantico Albufeira
- Apartamento Balaia Atlantico Hotel
- Balaia Atlantico Hotel
- Balaia Atlantico Aparthotel
- Hotel Apartamento Balaia Atlantico Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal