Chose the hotel based on price and you certainly can't grumble on that side of things if the weather is good and you plan to do nothing more than lounge by the pool.
Unfortunately for us the weather was pretty dismal with three solid days of rain with reasonable weather albeit not the sunbathing kind on the remaining days. The problem with this is that the hotel is a good 10 minutes by taxi to the nearest life ie The Strip and a further 5 minutes or so to Old Town so basically about 7-8 euros each way, more at weekends. Also the taxi's add a euro or so because the hotel has to call the cab for you. There is a free shuttle bus but only every couple of hours or so and as far as I can remember not at weekends and the last shuttle is at 5pm.
So if you are stuck at the hotel with poor weather there is not much you can do to fill your day. The only English TV channel is a repetitive CNN so take a DVD player and DVD's (that saved us!!). The hotel games room is merely a pool table, air hockey table and a couple of video games. Tennis court and mini golf looked tired and were empty. Indoor swimming pool and gym looked ok but that's about it.
If you are not on an all inclusive drinks are quite pricey although we didn't sample the food so can't comment on the restaurant although the A La Carte menu didn't have an awful lot of choice.
The rooms/apartments were pretty decent and pretty clean bar odd wax like drips on the bedroom walls (Mmmmm!!!) Fairly well furnished with decent storage and with a reasonable kitchen area and ok bathroom although the shower head doesn't really fit the shower bracket so get used to showering one handed or see water fly over your head!! Comfortable furniture although the beds and pillows are a bit hard.
So in a nutshell if you are having a "by the pool" holiday and the weather is good or you will have a car the hotel is a decent choice but if weather is poor and you want to explore and visit and don't have a car another hotel closer to life would be advisable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Balaia Atlantico is a natural oasis surrounded by the unique beauty and contrasts of the Algarve countryside, among the over 3 km of sandy beaches and crystal clear waters. Located on the outskirts of Albufeira, surrounded by magnificent forests of olive trees and lush citrus tree plantations, it offers spectacular ocean views from any of its 139 apartments. The use of some services such as Fitness Centre, Games Camps has an additional cost. The use of swimming cap in the indoor pool is mandatory. Customers can buy caps at € 4.50 / each at the front desk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Onthebeach, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Apartamento Balaia Atlantico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apartamento Balaia Atlantico Albufeira
- Apartamento Balaia Atlantico Hotel
- Balaia Atlantico Hotel
- Balaia Atlantico Aparthotel
- Hotel Apartamento Balaia Atlantico Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal