“Basic hotel”
Review of Balaia Mar Hotel

Balaia Mar Hotel
Ranked #32 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Pool area is lovely but rooms not comfortable and very dated. We saw insects crawling around the floor numerous times. Hotel is a little bit out of town though we did walk it a couple of time so this could be a pro or con depending on what you're after. Some staff were not, others pretty much grunted in response. We were all inclusive, food wasn't up to scratch, alcoholic drinks are not brand name but cheap substitutes. Couldn't wait to leave TBH.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roryhy
There are newer reviews for Balaia Mar Hotel

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Lovely pool and the grill at dinner was nice. 3 minute walk to a unspoilt beach with caves. Not too far from albufeira. the wifi was not included and we had to pay €1 for 15 mins! The buses were never on time too. but overall a brilliant holiday and I would definitely recommend the hotel and resort!

Room Tip: Studio rooms are good with a kitchen and lounge however if you want a balcony ask for a hotel room a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here with my sister for a week at the beginning of July. We stayed half board for quite a good price booked online. The room was a twin room (beds pushed together if you wanted a double) with a balcony overlooking the pool (lovely!). Inside the room was quite basic, but it had everything you needed and was very clean, with cleaners coming in everyday to make the beds, mop the floor and change towels in the bathroom. The only downside of the room was that the beds were quite hard so we did wake up with aching backs a few times and woke up a few times during the night, but some prefer hard mattresses I guess...

The breakfast and dinner that we had included in the half board option was nice, like others have said it was a bit repetitive apart from a few rotations of the type of fish offered. I'm quite lucky I am not a full vegetarian (I eat fish) as it would have been potatoes and vegetables for the whole week.

We went on two day trips whist away, one to Old Town Albufeira (about 7 euros in a taxi each way) and the other to Vilamoura Marina (about 15 euros in a taxi each way). I would definitely recommend both, especially Vilamoura! We had Lunch out both days, and found some really nice restaurants, the Old Town one was high up through the side streets and had balconies overlooking the beach and the town below, and the one in Vilamoura was along the Marina square next to the water. Reasonably priced, we had meals for around 6 euros each and shared half bottles of wine for next to nothing. Vilamoura beach next to the marina is also worth a visit.

In all, the holiday was amazing, the hotel was in a quiet area, which is what we wanted this time, despite begrudging walking to places in the heat at times, and there was options of things to do other than the beach and pool that were a taxi away if we got bored. I would not have gone all inclusive for the hotel, due to feeling that the food was the same for lunch as dinner from what we saw, and not many options with the drinks. Plus we would have been a little bored if we didn't break up the holiday with the days trips, something we might not have done if we had paid all inclusive.

In terms of nightlife, we generally walked to bars that were about 15-20mins walk away, the best being Cabana Cocktail Bar, definitely worth a visit!

The hotel staff were very friendly, from the reception to the waiters to the cleaners, which also made it a better holiday, and I'd definitely give them full marks for that.

If you want a cheap holiday in a quite location with an amazing pool and a beach 5 mins away, I'd recommend it. If you want more things to do I'd say go closer to Albufeira or Vilamoura unless you don't mind taxi's and a lot of walking.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the pool, much nicer view and nice to come to sit int he shade on the balc...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank joannecpen
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We spent 4 nights here all inclusive. The hotel is very clean and for the money it was a good short break.
Alcohol on all inclusive doesnt start until 1pm and finishes at 11 pm but to be fair that was ok for us.

The food was excellent and great choices too.

The room was very very small but as I said its cheap so you get what you pay for.

4 nights is definitely enough as thee were lots of screaming kids there .

Overall an ok break with great food and drinks included. Maybe I am just a bit fussy as most of the people there were return guests and most seemed happy .

Room Tip: not 107,108 or 109 as they are tiny tiny tiny
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed here for 10 days. All inclusive. Didn't like the fact out room had no aircon but when we asked for a fan they gave us one free of charge. Also got told off a few times for taking drinks from the pool bar to the sports bar even when the sports bar wasn't open till later and the World Cup football match had already started. Also I thought that having to pay for cocktails on top of the price is already payed upfront was abit stupid so I was on pop for the whole 10 days as I don't drink beer. I think the fact you can sit around the pool or on the terraced is a good Idea. Food was good the choice of fresh meat cooked right in front of you was amazing. The beach is only a 5 min walk away which was good was at the beach nearly every day at some point. Also it's a good 15-20 min walk to the next town which wasn't a problem for us as we like walking May go again next year but not all inclusive as I didn't get my money's worth because of only drinking pop all holiday and it cheap enough to get food in the next town.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Marsh93
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Overall I cannot argue with the quality for the price I paid, the food was good and the service was generally good. The reception and the waiters couldn't be more helpful! The pool was clean and always enough sunbeds. Location was nice and out the way of the strip if you want a bit more peace and quiet, but close enough for a half hour walk or €7-10 in a taxi.

However if I wanted to be "nit picky"..... It's all very dated and needs a spruce up and the rooms are extremely basic. The sports bar opened late by 15 to 30mins every night and your all inclusive wristbands only take you to 11pm. There was only one barman of a nighttime which meant you didn't get much drinking time for your all inc wristband as he was so busy. As for evening entertainment, on 2 evenings we had a little animal show where you could have a parrot on your shoulder or a snake and have your pics taken for €10 each photo!

For a basic cheap stay I'd stay again!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a lovely place if you want to relax, soak up some sun and get good value for all inclusive. I was very particular about what I wanted from this holiday, I am not a fan of all inclusive but my boyfriend had never tried it, however this was good, the food always tasted nice albeit a bit too repetitive for us, but we felt we got our moneys worth in drinks so we didn't mind going out to eat a couple of times to the Old Town which was only 10 mins drive and was available via a free bus from the hotel which ran 8-10pm, or less than 10 Euros in a taxi. San Miguel on draft and the Rose was delightful, you could always get a drink, although the bar man was a bit grumpy. The waiters were all so polite and helpful as were the reception and the cleaners were all really friendly. The pool area was great it was nice and quiet which is just what we wanted and never too busy, we went to the sun terrace everyday which was lovely as it was quiet and had a great view of the pool area and not too far from the bar. The beach is also close and very nice. We had an apartment which was huge and really nice and so peaceful, we slept past breakfast everyday ! I think the apartments may have been mixed in with residential, which didn't bother us too much, but wouldn't be great if in a group as would feel guilty being noisy around families who live there. All in all this was everything I wanted and would definitely stay here again.

Tip - reception will tell you that the strip and the fishing village are 10 mins walk - it's more like 20 mins.

Room Tip: The bottom floor apartments (13b) are alwasy in the shade so you don't notice there is no air co...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple