“Super location and very well run hotel”
Review of PortoBay Falesia

PortoBay Falesia
Ranked #6 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Our second visit here plus have been to one of their hotels in Madeira. It's a very good hotel group in our experience. The staff here are very welcoming and helpful, the reception staff always sorting out any little problems and checking back to make everything is ok.
The setting is fabulous - the large pool, plenty of sun loungers and a nice grassed area on the cliff top overlooking the sea and miles of sandy beach, then there is the beach itself to chill on. Nice pool bar and terraces to spend time eating and drinking al fresco. Great breakfasts and a nice a la carte Italian. The hotel does most things very well - fresh towels for pool and beach whenever you want, very clean and well looked after.
There are some nice restaurants in the area, including an Indian in a villa that makes you feel you are eating at someone's home on their terrace.
Only things that could be better are the buffet - a bit dull, not the best quality and does not change very much. We have had better elsewhere and it seems surprising as they do everything else so well (the Italian food is excellent as was breakfast and lunches - so they do have good chefs). Could do with more useful furniture in bedroom - almost no horizontal surfaces to put things out on. The entertainment on our last night was cringingly poor - looks of disbelief on everyone's faces you had to be there!
However, its a great place to go to and we do plan to return.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Me99
FernandoReisFilipe, General Manager at PortoBay Falesia, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Thank you very much for your review and comments. Looking forward to welcome you back again at the Porto Bay Falésia. Best regards. Fernando Reis Filipe

There are newer reviews for PortoBay Falesia

Reviewed 18 September 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Porto Bay Falesia this week and we had an awesome time to say the least.

I think I can't put it any other way except for the fact that I would definitely return were it not against my policy of visiting same place twice.

Lets start with the location, the hotel is located in a very nice/quiet town and overlooks the beach. They have a patio at which you can reserve a table in the evening for a candle light dinner (try booking it as soon as you get in as it goes pretty quickly). It is an incredible location to be dining in the evening, as all you hear are the waves and the breeze blowing in from the ocean. The town is also amazing, with a number of good restaurants (Ambrosio - Portugese cuisine highly recommended).

The hotel itself now - location as described above is excellent, make sure you get a sea facing room as the view is simply breathtaking. The rooms and the hotel in general are very well maintained and clean. The staff was mostly very friendly who were always eager to help, especially the ladies on the reception.

All in all, it was an excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: Sea view - excellent views
3  Thank gc757

Thank you very much for your review. Looking forward to welcome you back at the Porto Bay Falésia. Best regards. Fernando Reis Filipe

Reviewed 18 September 2011

hotel is very clean,rooms cleaned every day and beds changed , staff were fantastic and would do anything for you,beautiful views as is at top of a cliff.Food was plentiful and good,drinks very expensive.Tea and coffee is provided but tea bags were never replaced we rang reception twice and they were there straight away with them, however, we didn't like to keep asking so bought box from shop. Downside is in brochure it says private beach steps leading down.....there were 132 large steps leading down through the cliffs then a further walk to the beach.Sun beds and umbrellas were 15euros,it was too far to walk carrying all your stuff then to have to walk back up in the heat!!also entertainment was very poor,we went with thomsons and its normally good.

Room Tip: You can up grade starting from 10euros,when we got there our balcony had a tree outside we changed r...
1  Thank jennifer h

Reviewed 15 September 2011

After lots of Research reading the Excellent Reviews Of the Portobay Falesia In Olhos De Agua I was not disappointed!! Our Room was round the back of this hugely popular Portuguese Hotel Chain-our View although it was not a sea view overlooking the atlantic ocean, but we did have the sun beating down on our balcony between 7pm & 7.30pm-trust me a room around the back will not disappoint!!Rooms are very spacious at the Portobay-featuring the best Comfy beds in the World-your room is filled with Solid Oak-all modern Cons-LG 16" Hd Tv with all the Channels including CNN & BBC World news-Balcony was superb great for Chilling out-Bathroom felt very modern & fresh with Clean towels everyday!! Amazing!! Breakfast well where do I start It catered for all tastes from healthy Peeled Fruits of the Med to the usual Cereals-Breads-& Full Monty For the Brits!! Something For everybody really & if you wanted to burn your Breakfast off the hotel provided Sports days for there Customers everything From Mini Golf to Tennis-I opted to walk from Olhos de Agua to Villamoura and back which will take you along the Stunning Beaches of Falesia & trust me it's heaven on Earth!!
The Pool area was set in a Garden Of Eden Served by your own Waitress-very quite & relaxed featuring two terrace's looking over Falesia beach & trendy Cafe del mar type bar that served You everything from Salmon & Brie Toastie to the Classic Greek Salad trust me the Portobay Hotel will meet all your expectations!!
Nightly entertainment featured Sax Players to Gary Moore Bluesy Singers all worthwhile checking out!! The Staff were outstanding throughout my stay very helpful-Professional well dressed & well spoken & can I say a credit to the Portobay Chain!!
Before I go yes you do pay more for Drinks & food but the Service is exceptional!! I felt like James Bond for a week & I'm only a Working class Yorkshire Man!!

So there you have Frank & honest review of this Fine hotel!!
The Portobay Felesia between Albufiera & Villamoura set in delightful Olhos De Agua!!
Just Heaven!!!

Room Tip: Get a Room Round the back-enjoy the Sunset do some people Watching-Play Some music & Relax!! The...
2  Thank Michael B
FernandoReisFilipe, General Manager at PortoBay Falesia, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Reviewed 14 September 2011

Very good hotel, would return and recommend to family and friends.

Swimming pool area is very quiet and relaxing, the water is a nice temperature. There is waitress service to your sun lounger, which includes delicious freshly squeezed orange juice, so no need to go anywhere all day! sunbathed from 10am to 6pm.

The food is very good but not amazing, hence the 4 star review.

It's a 3 minute walk down some steps (134 of them!) to the wide and deep, sandy beach, wasn't crowded at all, and a relatively warm sea with fun waves and a rock pool area which the chidren loved. Sun loungers are there to be hired at a reasonable cost of 7.50 a day each. There are 2 bars on the beach. The walk back up the steps to the hotel took about 10 minutes.

It appeared to be a family friendly hotel but i would recommend this hotel to couples more than any other party.

Room Tip: we didn't have a sea view room and it turned out to be a good thing as we had the sun in the ear...
2  Thank cheshire12345
FernandoReisFilipe, General Manager at PortoBay Falesia, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel in April 2010 with our little daughter and loved it. Contemporary hotel with great ambience and very attentive staff. We prefer smaller - boutique hotels (SLH of the World e.g.) and were a little aprehensive before coming for the first time but reality surpassed the expectations. There is a 5* hotel just down the road but after checking it out - I think Porto Bay is the best around.. Could spend hours gazing from the viewing terraces over the Atlantic. Breakfest and meals in general offer great variety and enough to satisfy any tastes. We go on 3 - 4 short holidays per year but loved this place so much we are coming back again in mid Sept for a week (this time with two kids :))

Surprised with some comments as we found the room actually quite spacious with plenty of storage room (even for a pram in wardrobe!!!). Reality check - has anybody stayed at Hilton Suth Kensington? You cannot even turn in bed without hitting the walls... Also, the only larger bed we ever had was the one in Palazzo in Venice.. You appreciate this having two kids, trust me. True, internet is overpriced and drinks might be on a dearer side but even dinner at a la Carte restaurant was worth the visit.
Great for kids with small slide and swings as well as play room in the basement next to spa.

Sincerely recommend Ambrosia restaurant - best fish and piri-piri chicken around!

Room Tip: We even preferred the garden view over the sea view since the sun is not blasting into your room mos...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ladislav H
FernandoReisFilipe, General Manager at PortoBay Falesia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

Reviewed 12 September 2011

me and my bf stayed in the beginning of June 2011, after our shocking Experience from Tunisia we was abit worried for this holiday! but it was fantastic!
The hotel is amazing, clean big and welcoming!. The staff are very helpful and don't expect a tip from you.
The only thing I can say about the staff was the guy who comes to check see if the mini bar's needed refilling would knock on the door but just walk in anyway I was in bed and had the sign on the door to not enter the room. I herd a knock then our hotel room door open my bf had gone to shop so was I was expecting it to be him but in walks a man asking if the mini bar needed filling up but to be fair he was really apologetic and said sorry about a 100 times I did find it funny afterwards and I can assure you it never happened again. the maid was lovely always singing and talking to me and they always cleaned and the made beds properly!.

The walk to the beach is not to bad apart from all the stairs but its worth it. We spent most of our time on the beach as I just didnt feel comfortable at the pool side. I cant not fault this hotel one bit the food was nice and the drinks! I am a very fussy eater but I managed to find something to eat every night,

However one small thing that bugg me a little was the atmosphere there are alot of German and French guest at this hotel and the looks I got given really upset me I dont know weather it was due to my age or my skin colour but the wasn't very welcoming. we had one really bad night at dinner where a women moved tables as soon as me and my bf sat down on the table across from them. So from then on I refused to eat in the hotel and for last 5 nights we would eat out and we found this cheaper and a nicer atmosphere.

There were lots to do throughout our stay we found a little English bar at bottom of the road from our hotel called Tracie's both men that worked there are so nice and friendly and make a wicked sangria!. We walked over the cliffs on the beach a couple of times and took us to a private beach and the village, we also walked along the beach to Falesia a couple of time its took about an hour. it was full of little shops and restaurants we brought most of our gifts from there.

We booked a trip trough a travel place in felsia. i was a little worried about booking it but it turn out to be wonderful we went on a boat trip to see the caves! the guy who ran our trip was lovley very funny, we was taken to a private beach and given a dinner the food wasnt really nice but we was so hungry we eat it ( take your own lunch) we was then taken on a small speed boat through the caves and had our picture taken was nice.
on the boat trip back my bf got sea sick and the guys on the boat were really nice they took him to the back of the boat and gave him a bottle of water what he forgot t mention was a euro and i had to pay for it! and give a tip when we got off the boat!

overall we really enjoyed Portugal and the hotel and will be coming back here next year with another couple.But we wont be staying half board!

Room Tip: all the veiw's from the hotel are nice but we arnt really fussed about that sort of stuff!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple