We booked this hotel mainly because of the trip advisor reviews (It was no 1 then). I can only ask myself WHY? On the positive side the staff were friendly and the service good (We come to expect that in Portugal). The view (Sea View) was excellent and .........
When we checked in we had no help with the luggage. No offer to take us to the room and no welcoming drink (Take some tips from RIU). There was an offer to provide a daily newspaper with about 20 options including the Racing Post but no SUN? We were offered a special offer for half board vouchers. The good news is that we bought 3 instead of 5 and the bad news is we bought any at all.
The food at the buffet dinner was awful. There was a theme each night but no menu what was being served. Many of the dishes were unlabelled. The first night I had beef which had been left under the hot plate so long it could have been used to sole my shoes. The second night we eat in the hotel much of the main course dishes were cold and the third night I bypassed the main course completely.
I note some peoples comments regarding breakfast I can only say there must have low standards. There was no nuts, currants etc to go with the cereal. The eggs were left under the hot plate and were almost hard boiled. The bacon was burnt and of a very low quality. There was a lady cooking the eggs but I never saw anyone ask her for an omelette and by the look on her face I certainly did not dare!
The room was acceptable if a little dark but the bathroom was very basic. It had no working extractor fan and the shower was a plastic/rubber hose attached to the bath.
As many people have commented there are ample sun beds and umbrellas although they would be improved by mattresses and they are difficult to manoeuvre. Ladies watch your nails! The walk down to the beach is by 1001 uneven steps and if you collapse onto a sun bed on the way down you have lost the will to live on the way back up.
The poolside restaurant is good for lunchtime and the a-la-carte food is excellent. A million miles from the buffet.
The evening entertainment was sub standard and when they did have a show there was a tsunami of people leaving afterwards. The price of the drink did not help and there was zero atmosphere in the bar.
lots of good restaurants around best were O Manuel and San Martino.
would we return No would I recommend it No Try either of the Riu hotels nearby.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel stands overlooking Praia da Falesia in the charming town of Olhos de Agua, close to Albufeira in the Algarve. Surrounded by abundant green areas, the hotel enjoys direct access to the sea and the exceptional 8km long beach which is washed by the clear, calm waters of the Algarve sea. After a refreshing drink at the waters edge, a reviving plunge in one of the pools, a trip to the beach, a game of tennis or an invigorating massage, sit back and enjoy one of the Algarves most beautiful views from one of the hotel's restaurants. Make the most of your holidays to relax. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your PortoBay Falesia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Bay Falesia Albufeira
- PortoBay Falesia Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal