“Nice hotel, nice beach, but staff could be more helpful”
Review of PortoBay Falesia

PortoBay Falesia
Ranked #6 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The hotel is very nice and has a beautiful beach right next to it. It also has a very nice pool area and is in general very nice. But we were a bit surprised to find that the main part of the staff (in restaurants etc.) were unable to communicate in English or Spanish and they didn't seem very service minded.
If you're looking for a hotel located in a quiet area, then this will suit you fine. It isn't actually located in Albufeira, but in a small village approx. 6 km away from town. The village has some restaurants, but apart from that not many options.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kruroc

Reviewed 25 July 2009

I have just returned from the Porto Bay Falesia with My mother and two daughters aged 13 and 11 after a 12 day stay. I was not dissapointed and certainly this hotel is luxurious. The hotel is very well maintained with beautiful gardens and plenty of sun loungers.
We had two rooms which overlooked the gardens at the front and a small car park. The rooms were very comfortable and even though the beds are quite firm we didnt find this a problem. We were amazed at how quiet the hotel is at night and were never awoken by late nigt revellers!
The hotel itself has a lovely big reception area and all who work at reception are very helpfull. The buffet breakfast is fantastic, such an array of lovely food, be prepared to gain a few calories while you are there!! Mind you the steps down to the beach will work them off. The hotel is perched high on cliff overlooking the sea, and the views are really breathtaking. We counted 130 steps down to the sea. These steps are large concrete steps and easy to manage. I was a little concerned about these before I left as my mother is 74 years old and does suffer with arthritis but I can assure you she managed the steps no problem at her own pace of course. We loved the sea and it is only short walk after the steps. It is a super long beach and even after walking an hour towards Vilamoura you still wont reach the end of it, yes if you jogged!! Plenty of sun beds, can work out a little pricey if you want four, at 30euro per day in total, much cheaper to buy a parasol locally at 6 euro. One thing I hadn't read about before I left was the strength of the waves at the shorline. If you are a swimmer not a problem, but even at knee high it knocked my mum and daughter over, and in places there are rocks at the shorline. My daughter had the misfortune of being knocked over and hurt her knee on rock. There is a red cross centre on beach and the guy there was very helpful.

The Golfino Restaurant on the beach is good can be pricey especially for ice-creams and water. Lunch there cost us 45 euros. Some good restaurants in Olhos again some pricey like La Cigale on the waterfront. We dined at the Mayflower in Villamoura which was very nice, this is on the Marina and definately worth a visit. We opted for the buffet at the hotel for five nights which was good value at 66 euro per night for two adults and two children. Again a great choice of food and a themed buffet every night. Entertainment at the hotel was ok, not very busy for July and usually ended around midnight.
The hotel was filled with a lot of couples and some familys there with very small children but definately not too many with teenagers. My two daughters didnt get to make any new aquaintances and particularly my 13yr old would'nt be interested in going back , I do think she was a little bored at times. Mind you there are are activities at the hotel, two lovely tennis courts, you can hire rackets and balls at 10 euro an hour which I duly did!! Anything for a quiet life!! Table tennis also at 2 euro an hour and there is a giant Chess set which they played. Drink at the hotel is pricey and lunch at the pool bar is expensive, club sandwich at 8 euro. There is a mini-market across the road. You can always opt for the Half Price happy hour between 5 and 7pm at the hotel bar.
We went to Zoomarine which was excellent and also Aqualand. We heard after that a better water park is Slide n Splash. We took a taxi to Zoomarine which cost 22euro each way, but you can take a bus which is a lot cheaper.
To sum up we had a lovely time and I would return with my friends for a relaxing holiday
hopefully.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank SalsaD10
Reviewed 24 July 2009

I have just returned from 1 week at the Porto Bay Falesia and had a wonderful time. This was my first time holidaying alone as the kids had headed off with their Dad this year. I was looking for a week of relaxation and a bit of 'me time ' but was obviously a bit apprehensive about being a woman alone . I needn't have worried as The Porto Bay Falesia was a perfect choice.
The staff were all attentive, but not intrusive. There were generally plenty of sun beds and the garden area was the perfect place to relax. Access to the beach is via a long flight of steps and may be an issue for those with mobility problems; however benches are placed at strategic points along the way. The beach was lovely and I spent most mornings walking along it towards Vilamoura and back.
Though I was booked in for BB only I opted for the Buffet promotion which allowed me 5 nights dining for just over 82 euro - a perfect solution for someone alone. The food was good and well presented. Breakfast was also plentiful and of a good standard. The waiting staff were quick and efficient .
The room was well appointed and clean.
I made a trip to the Spa and had the full body aromatherapy massage which was out of this world, followed by the best nights sleep for years.
I would definately go back, but perhaps not with the kids who are 10 and 14. I think they would get bored after a few days.
This is the place to go if you want a relaxing holiday, good customer service and great beaches

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank DEBNI
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We loved the relative quiet of this hotel, away from any thoroughfares, bars and other noisy distractions. The ocean view is fantastic, as the hotel is situated on top of a cliff overlooking the beach below. The upgrade to a room with a balcony with an ocean view is certainly worth the price. Although one needs to descend a few stairs to get to the beach, this is as close as one can get. Not an issue, as my five-month pregnant wife did not complain. Something for everyone here, except for the (single) party-going crowd. Families with kids can stay in the pool area, while those looking for a quiet time may stay on the lawn area close to the pool and other facilities. The rooms are kept very clean and the hotel is in excellent condition. The landscaping is beautiful, excellent for a walk around the grounds after dinner and a drink on one of the two terraces overlooking the ocean. The breakfast buffet was wonderful (although we did miss fresh juices and better quality pastries) with great variety. The staff is very helpful, especially Andre in the à la carte restaurant Il Basilico and Raj at the pool bar/restaurant Bar Falésia. There are a lot of activites to join in (gym, pool table, ping pong, tennis, giant chess board, and activities organised by hotel staff). The spa was also very good. Another plus is that the hotel provides free beach towels that can be changed every day at the reception - saving you some baggage weight. Some items for improvement: The service at the pool bar was painfully slow, although this is attributable to the organisation of the service rather than the waiters, who have good intentions. There is a wi-fi service at €17 per day and a PC with internet access on the 1st floor at €0.20 per minute. We found this a bit expensive to our taste. There is also a safe in the room, available at €10 per week. Altogether we found these fees petty and they should be included in the price of the room. The restaurant at the hotel provides good food at decent prices, if you venture outside the hotel the selection is very limited in the village of Olhos d'Agua. Only two restaurants are worthy of mention: I Fratelli (Italian) and O Licorne (Indian). On the beach below the hotel, we recommend the Sheraton beach restaurant (great burgers and salad buffet - all you can eat for €15). It is situated a five minute walk further along the beach. We tried La Cigale (particulary expensive and ordinary - good view though), Azul (overcooked fish even though it should be their specialty). In conclusion, we found that the food at the hotel restaurant was a very competitive option.
We would definetely come back to Porto Bay Falsesia and also recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dogboy77
Reviewed 19 July 2009

This was our first stay at the Porto Bay Falesia, but our second visit to one of the Group's hotels, having stayed at the Suite Eden Mar in Maderia. Both hotels were chosen following consideration of the reviews posted on Tripadvisor - we were not disappointed.

Travelling with my wife and two sons (3 and 6 months) we chose a sea facing suite. The rooms were huge. The suite had an entrance hall which led to the lounge, bedroom and bathroom.

The lounge had a sofa and two arm chairs. We were able to place the roll away bed and cot in the room with ease. We rolled back the sliding doors to see a new sink, microwave, fridge and two ring oven. This was more than sufficient for the snacks we needed to prepare for the children.

The bedroom had two queen size beds placed together. The room and the lounge both faced out over the pool area and views of the sea. The hotel is not on the beach - see the photographs. Much of the coastline is dominated with steep cliffs and the hotel is perched high on a cliff with steps leading to the beach.

The bathroom was clean, although we did have a shock on the first night when bath water rose up through the drain cover on the bathroom floor. A quick call to reception resulted in hotel maintenance sorting things out.

The hotel's restaurants are excellent. There is an Italian restaurant at the east of the hotel. Adjacent to the reception is the main buffet restaurant which has a different theme each night - although the choice was amazing. Dining with young children is never relaxing, but we found the whole experience extremely relaxing. Alongside the pools is a tapas and snack bar. In addition, each day there is a BBQ with a different speciality.

There are three pools: 1) children's outdoor pool, 2) main outdoor pool and 3) indoor pool. By the indoor pool you will find a children's playroom with soft toys for the under 3s. In addition there is also a spa and sauna. Pool towels are provided by reception - each day just pop along with your used towels and collect clean ones. Loungers can not be reserved - hooray! They are plentiful and not spaced close to one another - we visited the Riu Guarana next door which had the atmosphere of a cruise ship, with guests squeezed together like battery hens.

The bar is large with nightly entertainment for adults and children - although this was low key. Outside there is also a small play area on grass by the two tennis courts. There is a shop (newsagent with some groceries) by the car park. The parking is convenient but not abundant.

This is not a new hotel, but it was acquired by the Porto Bay Group and completely refurbushed in 2008. Unlike new hotels, the rooms and general areas are generous in proportion.

The hotel was full on a few nights but the whole area is suffering from the economic downturn. The five star Santa Eulalia up the road is not opening all of its bars. Some hotels are even closing for a few months over Christmas for the first time.

We popped into both the Riu Palace and Riu Guarana for comparison purposes. The Palace lives up to its name and did not look suitable for children. The Guarana is a new all-inclusive hotel which looked like a cruise ship on land (noise, number of guests and space). We had no regrets in chosing the Porto Bay.

The guests are predominantly North European (British, Dutch, Swedish and German). All the staff spoke excellent English and we were even called by our names by some of the staff. Special mention should be made of Nicole (reception), Natalia (pool bar) and Pedro (restaurant).

The hotel group is relatively small and I would recommend this hotel to other readers considering a vacation in the Algarve.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank UK-Stu
Reviewed 3 July 2009

I booked 3 nights at this hotel either side of a trip to Lisbon. Was surprised at how built up the surrounding area is particularly as I booked a mountain view and all I could see was a car park. Did complain and got a room which overlooked one of the neighbouring hotels pools. I had an early start on Sunday and the hotel bar was very loud until late so not great. On the plus side this was the best hotel breakfast ever, and loved the indoor pool on a rainy day. The beach was great and worth the walk. I probably wouldnt return to the Algarve as this was my least favourite part of Portugal that I saw (Cascais and Estoril much nicer and Lisbon good) Prices much higher in OlhosdeAgua than other places I visited in Portugal .

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank travelcatDorset
Reviewed 27 June 2009

We just spent a few days in this hotel (June 2009). All in all a nice experience.
Breakfast was definitely excellent.
The room was big and clean.

However, some petty things did surprise us : daily payment for the use of the safe (???), rental of the pingpong table + table football (in all other places places clients may use those things for free), you can surf on the net for 20 EUR / hour (this definitley was a crazy price)
The food in the restaurant by the pool was not really good. Staff was helpful though.

Also, it has to be specified that there is no private beach, but the public beach was not far away in straight line - albeit some 130 steps down below (so take into account your going up and down the stairs), and there are no facilities for hotel clients there, so if you want to rent sun umbrellas / matrasses/chairs, you have to pay an extra 15 EUR for 2 people per day.

So, a good experience, but somehow spoiled by details.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple