“Not a 4 *” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
devon
“Not a 4 *”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2009

We chose this hotel having stayed at the sister hotel Cliff Bay on Madeira twice before. We were expecting the same or very similar standard of hotel but unfortunatly this wasnt the case.
We booked two rooms, a superior sea view and a standard view room. On arrival we were allocated two rooms overlooking the car park. A trip back to reception, where we complained and were told the hotel was full & no other rooms were available. We showed the booking slip which showed our upgrade but they said there was nothing they could do until morning. We refused to accept these rooms. We contacted our rep from Classic Collection Holidays & she managed to get the hotel to provide better rooms. We took these rooms as it was getting late but told the reception that they were still not what we had upgraded to on booking. They tried very hard to fob us off.
The next morning the rep visited & she complained on our behalf. It took 7 more days before we finaly had the correct rooms. So, our 14 nights were split & we were inconveinienced by having to move rooms half way through the holiday. When finally we were allocated the right rooms the air con in the superior wasnt working & so they put us in another room for the night as they couldn fix it till the next day! Then when that was fixed the shower wouldnt switch off when you ran a bath & the lights wouldn work in the room. In our daughters room the mini bar hadnt been looked at & there was food & 1/2 full bottles of coke.
The rooms were clean & the maids very polite.
The pool bar was quite expensive & the staff were not very attentive. Raj was the best & he wanted to provide a good service but this wasnt the norm.
Breakfast was good, with plenty of variety. Internet access was very expensive. We chose B & B so couldnt coment on the buffet. we found plent of good places to eat. One of the best was the Piri Piri resturant at the Sheriton hotel.
The hotel is in a small complex of hotels which was off putting. We had car hire for 7 days but found it very difficult to park at out hotel, which was a pain.
taking everything into account, this isnt a 4 star hotel. Sometimes the service was very poor & they seem to charge extras for everything they can, like safety depost, bath robes, internet etc. They even charge room service for a bucket of ice!
There were quite a lot of younger children & it got quite noisy around the pool at times. There were children at the Cliff Bay, Madeira but the parents/ Grandparents ensured they were not disturbing other people!
We wouldnt return to this hotel again. Having said that, we enjoyed the holiday as best we could, but give me the Cliff Bay any day.

Checking out was a problem. Check your bill carefully. It took them 4 attemps to get it right. We were charged for things we didnt have/ use such as daily news papers at 6 euros a day and telephone calls made from the room... even rooms that we hadnt been in!

I know this all sounds quite negative, & we arent exceptionaly picky but we have stayed at more organised/ attentive hotels for a little less money and felt we have had better else where. I have tried to be as fair and honest as I can.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank finglewood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Porto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

We stayed in this hotel for the second year and we noticed some improvements since last year, but many more needed in our opinion.
1. Rooms are nice, but door closing system is difficult and noisy. Cleaning was very efficient and fast.
2. Pools are very nice, but kids pool needs to be cleaned more often. Service in pool bar is not efficient and too expensive for the quality offered.
3. The outside areas are stunning and very well kept, but some more activities would be welcome.
4. Food quality is very high and breakfast is excellent. But at the dinner there is a very bad point: about 21:00h they start to remove one of the two desert buffets. The dinner is from 19:00h to 22:00h, so in the last hour (when you eat the desert) there are few deserts and too many waiting lines to get them. The system only works good to english and german people, but in other countries its normal to start dinner by 20:30h - 21:00h...
5. The prices are anormally expensive for the quality of the service and overall quality in the hotel. Almost 3€ for a bottle of mineral water is too much, and a soup for my children was 4.50€!
6. Internet is still a scientific fiction question in Porto Bay. The prices are the same as a satellite call for Mars!!! I stayed in Cape Verde several times and in the hotel the Internet was free.

The sea view is spectacular and the beach is very beautiful. There are relax areas and a pleasant show at evening. Very relaxing.

3 Thank cmgdo
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

Thank you fellow tripadvisors for tipping this hotel to me. Real gem! The hotel was certainly everything I expected and much more! Gorgeous hotel with gorgeous scenery and great relazing location away from the horrible tourist crows of Albufeira town. The pictures in the internet do not lie, and actually the hotel is even more gorgeous than the pictures show you.

What can I even say. The room was perfect, the breakfast had a wide selection of everything, the pool area is amazing and there are also nice little relaxation places right by the cliffs by the beach. The hotel is located in the small town of Olhos d'Aqua which was a great small place. We visited also the centre of Albufeira a couple of times (by rental car) but were very glad that we did not book a hotel there. I'll give you the rule of thumb: go to the city of Albufeira ONLY if you plan to do a lot of partying. In all other cases, go to Porto Bay Falesia. I am totally convinced that it will not be possible to find a hotel with better value for money in southern Portugal.

One small suggestion I have for the hotel and that is the pool bar. The pool bar is beautiful and has good cooking - however, the service at the pool bar leaves a lot of room for improvement. There are several waiters going around - one comes to take your order, then another one comes right after that to ask if we have ordered already, etc. It would just need a lot of coordination to make it work, now it just seemed like the waiters were just doing random things with no coordination whatsoever. At one point we had to ask for the bill for 3 times from 3 separate waiters, so at such times the service at the pool bar was a little frustrating. But this is an easy fix, and I hope the hotel coordinates this better in the future.

All and all an excellent hotel and next time I am in Portugal I will definitely come here again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GirlMouse
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

This hotel along with its location is absolutely beautiful! It was not too remote, there was always things to do besides from going to the beach like taking a boat ride to see the Algarve coastline, a Zoo or even a Safari and there was even a circus just around the corner. We also visited the main shopping centre which was 20 minutes away and the hotel provided a free bus which left at 12pm and brought us back at 2.45pm

The location is very scenic, the beach and hotel are surrounded by beautiful red cliffs which add to the uniqueness of the place. The rooms were very clean and the mini bar was very handy. As we only stayed on a bed and breakfast basis I can tell you that the breakfast was lovely and had enough variety such as full english plus fresh fruit, breads and cereals and different cheeses ( I can still taste the sweet melons now) and it all tasted good. The only suprise I had when I got there was how expensive everything was, but I suppose the pound being so weak against the euro you couldn't really expect to find a bargain.
The evening had live music and the singer had the most beautiful mellow voice and sang recent popular songs ( I mean the 90's) such as seal's kiss from a rose and it was very relaxing listening to him. places to eat are plentiful in the resort, Including a chinese restaurant which is just down the road and had a cheap buffet option, also was a tasty indian restaurant which also picked you up from the hotel and dropped you back free of charge even though they are situated by a 10 minutes walk! They were not cheap though. There was a lovely pizzeria near the hotel and they made the most tastiest pizzas (i think they used a clay oven) they were open everyday except wednesdays. Food was never boring here. Overall I give this hotel a 10/10, Its the type of place I could revisit in the future because i really got a feel for it. Sad to be back in the UK.

• Stayed July 2009
2 Thank mani12
Algeciras
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

The hotel is very nice and has a beautiful beach right next to it. It also has a very nice pool area and is in general very nice. But we were a bit surprised to find that the main part of the staff (in restaurants etc.) were unable to communicate in English or Spanish and they didn't seem very service minded.
If you're looking for a hotel located in a quiet area, then this will suit you fine. It isn't actually located in Albufeira, but in a small village approx. 6 km away from town. The village has some restaurants, but apart from that not many options.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kruroc
Midlands, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2009

I have just returned from the Porto Bay Falesia with My mother and two daughters aged 13 and 11 after a 12 day stay. I was not dissapointed and certainly this hotel is luxurious. The hotel is very well maintained with beautiful gardens and plenty of sun loungers.
We had two rooms which overlooked the gardens at the front and a small car park. The rooms were very comfortable and even though the beds are quite firm we didnt find this a problem. We were amazed at how quiet the hotel is at night and were never awoken by late nigt revellers!
The hotel itself has a lovely big reception area and all who work at reception are very helpfull. The buffet breakfast is fantastic, such an array of lovely food, be prepared to gain a few calories while you are there!! Mind you the steps down to the beach will work them off. The hotel is perched high on cliff overlooking the sea, and the views are really breathtaking. We counted 130 steps down to the sea. These steps are large concrete steps and easy to manage. I was a little concerned about these before I left as my mother is 74 years old and does suffer with arthritis but I can assure you she managed the steps no problem at her own pace of course. We loved the sea and it is only short walk after the steps. It is a super long beach and even after walking an hour towards Vilamoura you still wont reach the end of it, yes if you jogged!! Plenty of sun beds, can work out a little pricey if you want four, at 30euro per day in total, much cheaper to buy a parasol locally at 6 euro. One thing I hadn't read about before I left was the strength of the waves at the shorline. If you are a swimmer not a problem, but even at knee high it knocked my mum and daughter over, and in places there are rocks at the shorline. My daughter had the misfortune of being knocked over and hurt her knee on rock. There is a red cross centre on beach and the guy there was very helpful.

The Golfino Restaurant on the beach is good can be pricey especially for ice-creams and water. Lunch there cost us 45 euros. Some good restaurants in Olhos again some pricey like La Cigale on the waterfront. We dined at the Mayflower in Villamoura which was very nice, this is on the Marina and definately worth a visit. We opted for the buffet at the hotel for five nights which was good value at 66 euro per night for two adults and two children. Again a great choice of food and a themed buffet every night. Entertainment at the hotel was ok, not very busy for July and usually ended around midnight.
The hotel was filled with a lot of couples and some familys there with very small children but definately not too many with teenagers. My two daughters didnt get to make any new aquaintances and particularly my 13yr old would'nt be interested in going back , I do think she was a little bored at times. Mind you there are are activities at the hotel, two lovely tennis courts, you can hire rackets and balls at 10 euro an hour which I duly did!! Anything for a quiet life!! Table tennis also at 2 euro an hour and there is a giant Chess set which they played. Drink at the hotel is pricey and lunch at the pool bar is expensive, club sandwich at 8 euro. There is a mini-market across the road. You can always opt for the Half Price happy hour between 5 and 7pm at the hotel bar.
We went to Zoomarine which was excellent and also Aqualand. We heard after that a better water park is Slide n Splash. We took a taxi to Zoomarine which cost 22euro each way, but you can take a bus which is a lot cheaper.
To sum up we had a lovely time and I would return with my friends for a relaxing holiday
hopefully.

5 Thank SalsaD10
NI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

I have just returned from 1 week at the Porto Bay Falesia and had a wonderful time. This was my first time holidaying alone as the kids had headed off with their Dad this year. I was looking for a week of relaxation and a bit of 'me time ' but was obviously a bit apprehensive about being a woman alone . I needn't have worried as The Porto Bay Falesia was a perfect choice.
The staff were all attentive, but not intrusive. There were generally plenty of sun beds and the garden area was the perfect place to relax. Access to the beach is via a long flight of steps and may be an issue for those with mobility problems; however benches are placed at strategic points along the way. The beach was lovely and I spent most mornings walking along it towards Vilamoura and back.
Though I was booked in for BB only I opted for the Buffet promotion which allowed me 5 nights dining for just over 82 euro - a perfect solution for someone alone. The food was good and well presented. Breakfast was also plentiful and of a good standard. The waiting staff were quick and efficient .
The room was well appointed and clean.
I made a trip to the Spa and had the full body aromatherapy massage which was out of this world, followed by the best nights sleep for years.
I would definately go back, but perhaps not with the kids who are 10 and 14. I think they would get bored after a few days.
This is the place to go if you want a relaxing holiday, good customer service and great beaches

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo