We chose this hotel having stayed at the sister hotel Cliff Bay on Madeira twice before. We were expecting the same or very similar standard of hotel but unfortunatly this wasnt the case.
We booked two rooms, a superior sea view and a standard view room. On arrival we were allocated two rooms overlooking the car park. A trip back to reception, where we complained and were told the hotel was full & no other rooms were available. We showed the booking slip which showed our upgrade but they said there was nothing they could do until morning. We refused to accept these rooms. We contacted our rep from Classic Collection Holidays & she managed to get the hotel to provide better rooms. We took these rooms as it was getting late but told the reception that they were still not what we had upgraded to on booking. They tried very hard to fob us off.
The next morning the rep visited & she complained on our behalf. It took 7 more days before we finaly had the correct rooms. So, our 14 nights were split & we were inconveinienced by having to move rooms half way through the holiday. When finally we were allocated the right rooms the air con in the superior wasnt working & so they put us in another room for the night as they couldn fix it till the next day! Then when that was fixed the shower wouldnt switch off when you ran a bath & the lights wouldn work in the room. In our daughters room the mini bar hadnt been looked at & there was food & 1/2 full bottles of coke.
The rooms were clean & the maids very polite.
The pool bar was quite expensive & the staff were not very attentive. Raj was the best & he wanted to provide a good service but this wasnt the norm.
Breakfast was good, with plenty of variety. Internet access was very expensive. We chose B & B so couldnt coment on the buffet. we found plent of good places to eat. One of the best was the Piri Piri resturant at the Sheriton hotel.
The hotel is in a small complex of hotels which was off putting. We had car hire for 7 days but found it very difficult to park at out hotel, which was a pain.
taking everything into account, this isnt a 4 star hotel. Sometimes the service was very poor & they seem to charge extras for everything they can, like safety depost, bath robes, internet etc. They even charge room service for a bucket of ice!
There were quite a lot of younger children & it got quite noisy around the pool at times. There were children at the Cliff Bay, Madeira but the parents/ Grandparents ensured they were not disturbing other people!
We wouldnt return to this hotel again. Having said that, we enjoyed the holiday as best we could, but give me the Cliff Bay any day.
Checking out was a problem. Check your bill carefully. It took them 4 attemps to get it right. We were charged for things we didnt have/ use such as daily news papers at 6 euros a day and telephone calls made from the room... even rooms that we hadnt been in!
I know this all sounds quite negative, & we arent exceptionaly picky but we have stayed at more organised/ attentive hotels for a little less money and felt we have had better else where. I have tried to be as fair and honest as I can.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel stands overlooking Praia da Falesia in the charming town of Olhos de Agua, close to Albufeira in the Algarve. Surrounded by abundant green areas, the hotel enjoys direct access to the sea and the exceptional 8km long beach which is washed by the clear, calm waters of the Algarve sea. After a refreshing drink at the waters edge, a reviving plunge in one of the pools, a trip to the beach, a game of tennis or an invigorating massage, sit back and enjoy one of the Algarves most beautiful views from one of the hotel's restaurants. Make the most of your holidays to relax. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your PortoBay Falesia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Bay Falesia Albufeira
- PortoBay Falesia Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal