“Very good hotel”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Carvoeiro
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed there as a family for two weeks on a B&B Basis and really enjoyed it. The rooms were very nice with big balconies. We had our rooms on the back side (east) which was very good. We had the morning sun on the balcony so that in the evening the rooms had a comfortable temperature. The rooms have air conditioning but there was no need to switch it on. Furthermore, it was quiet. We could not hear any noises or loud music from the street or from the city centre.

Breakfast was great. They offer a buffet with various possibilities. You can have British breakfast with bacon, eggs and beans, or the more continental one with bread or rolls, butter, egg, jam. Or you just take various kinds of fresh fruit.

The hotel is clean with a private atmosphere. It offers an indoor and an outdoor pool, sauna and yacuzzi. To the centre it is just a short walk.

I can't say anything about the TV. We don't go on holiday to watch TV.

Room Tip: I would always ask for the rooms on the back side. You will have a nice view out of the window (see...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Claudia W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Well I would say a reasonable 4*. Indoor and outdoor pools. Spacious and well decorated. At €100 walk in price for two with breakfast, you would need to be a bit curmudgeonly to complain. Handy for lots of local restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

If you've stayed in a 4* hotel in a sunny European destination then you'll know that 4* really means 3*. Certainly by Uk standards anyway. This is no exception.

There is nothing wrong with this hotel. It is good value for money. We stayed in a double room. It is basic. The TV must be about 20 years old. A tiny square thing with only 1 English speaking channel. The aircon was very welcome. As was the fridge in the room. The shower was good and shampoo and soap were provided. Towels were changed daily. The room appears clean but if you walk around in bare feet you'll find your feet end up black! So they may need to be cleaned more often, rather than just swept. The hotel was incredibly noisy and we could hear furniture scraping from around 7am. On the hotter days we had the aircon on and this seemed to drown out the noise.

The location is excellent. There are many good restaurants just up the road and many other restaurants down the road. I highly recommend Taste (about a 15 minute walk down the hill and to the right of the town) for excellent tapas. Or Villa Medici across the road from the hotel for excellent Italian.

The beach is nice for a good view and I recommend you walk up the hill to the right of the beach for amazing views. But if you want to sunbathe, the hotel pool is the best place as the beach is tiny. The pool bar was well stocked and reasonably priced. €1.50 for a small beer, €3 for a large and some good food. Annoyingly you can't get food in the hotel bar, only at the pool bar.

The hotel bar is chilled out. Not much happening in it. We only went to it one evening and it was pretty dead so we took our drinks back to the room. Try the green wine at €5 euro a bottle. You can't beat it!

The breakfast at the hotel was a lot better than I expected. There were hot and cold food options including muffins, croissants, scrambled and fried eggs, beans, frankfurters, bacon and a selection of cereals, fruits, yoghurts and bread. The one thing that could do with improving is the toaster. It takes so long to toast your bread that a queue forms. We did not each lunch or dinner at the hotel so can't comment on the other meals.

Some hotel staff were very friendly and others seemed to avoid helping people. The man at reception wasnt particularly friendly. When we had to go to reception as our room key stopped working he barely spoke to us and didn't apologise for the inconvenience.

All in all this is a good hotel. Location being its primary plus point. I would recommend it for the cost alone. We paid around £100 each for 8 nights b&b through Sunshine.co.uk.

One last thing - the beds are very very hard!! There is a thin quilt in the cupboard. Take your sheet off the bed and put it underneath. Then your bed will just be very hard!

Also get the little train for €3 to take a tour around Carvoeiro. It's well worth the money and you'll get to see some great views as well as getting your bearings in the town.

Enjoy your stay in carvoeiro.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Tomaddi
Johnstone, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I stayed 11-18th June on bed and breakfast basis. Could not fault this hotel! Spacious rooms, great choice for breakfast, loved the pool, always got a lounger and the inside pool, sauna were great. The staff were very friendly and Carlos the pool batman was exceptional! A special mention for Alex the late night manager, very friendly and accommodating! We mentioned it was our 1st wedding anniversary on the Saturday and thought no more of it, when we returned to our room after being at the pool all day the bed, dresser, balcony and bathroom were covered in rise petals, and there was a complimentary bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us (see pictures). It was a lovely gesture and definitely made our day!
As soon as you step outside the hotel there are bars, shops and restaurants to your left and right it's a great location even though its on a hill it was a 10 minutes stroll to the bottom. Cannot fault this place!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Laura B
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 15 June 2013

we stayed at this hotel on a B&b basis for a week at the beginning of june . Breakfast had a good variety of food available ,The rooms were spacious and spotless .We loved the big foyer and lounge areas where one could read at leisure or watch tv when the sun was slow to come out !! The pool area was also spotless with a good supply of sun loungers . The hotel is in an ideal location for walking to the beach and the many fabulous restaurants where one is spoilt for choice . We thoroughly enjoyed our break to carvoeira and would definitely return again in the future .

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mary12624
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

we stayed in may and had a great time , the hotel and the rooms were clean and tidy , there where no real suprises good value for money, we stayed on a b+b basis, there are loads of reasonably priced and higher priced restaurants in easy walking distance. the barman Carlos deserves a special mention he makes the best sangria i have ever tasted and is a first class barman a credit to the hotel

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jensenhunter
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I returned to this hotel after 6 years, as my husand and I had enjoyed a number of holidays at the Mirachoro Hotel before his death 6 years ago. This hotel stands at the top of the hill up from the beach, in an imposing positon with an excellent forecourt and most impressive reception area. The hotel has rooms on 3 sides, all with balconies, either looking onto the swimming pool area or out over the country. As a single guest I considered I was fortunate to be able to book a twin bedded room, overlooking with pool, without any single room suppliment at the reasonable price of £180 for 7 days, including breakfast.
From the moment I arrived I found all the members of staff to be most pleasant and helpful.
I paid 20 Euros for the room safety. box plus 20 Euros deposit and was advised there would be a deposit required if I wanted to borrow a towel for the pool. My room was a good size, with a balcony and ensuite and a fridge but no tea or coffee facilities. I would also have liked to see a bath robe and slippers provided and would have expected these facilities in a 4* hotel.
However the room was spotlessly clean and the towels renewed each day.
Breakfast started at 8 am and I must admit I think the restaurant is very small in comparision to the size of the reception area and lounge. I ensured I was in promptly at 8am as I understood it got very busy later and as I only have a basic continental breakfast I was able to have this without any trouble and there is always staff on duty to assist.
As the hill is known as 'restaurant hill' there is not problem finding a variety of places to purchase meals all day, to suit all pockets
The hotel does have a bar but there did not appear to be any evening entertainment. There is also a pool bar to purchase drinks or buy a lunch time snack, which I found useful on a number of occasons. The hotel was an ideal base for me to get out and about, down memory lane, or to curl up with a book and we were blessed with glorious weather for the whole time
I was there..

Room Tip: As there is tiled flooring a top floor might be a good idea in case you get stilettos above you...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo